Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the main focus of this game?

Is it basically a PvE game or is it primarily a PvP game?

I’m a subscriber and just don’t know what to think.

I like the PvE game. It’s very well written and has some nice features that make it fun to play. The combat system fits in very well here and FC has done a nice job on the PvE side of the game so far.

I personally don’t like how PvP works in this game, esp the way melee mechanics work. Far too much CC and while it tries to be “skill” based, its not as skill based as a FPS and plays nothing like a “standard” MMORPG. To me, its caught somewhere in the middle and it doesn’t quite cut it in either direction. All in all, it feels rather awkward.

This wouldn’t be a problem for me unless most of the games development will be directed towards PvP players. If so, then I have picked the wrong game. At this point, it’s a hard decision to dedicate any more time towards a game that on the surface seems fun to play but may only disappoint at some future time if more of the content shifts to the PvP side … unless of course they address my concerns which is doubtful.

So … opinions? Is AoC a PvE game or a PvP game?

Thanks!

Comments

• D|CED|CE Member Posts: 197

It does not have enough PvE content to call it a PvE game. It is definitely not Counter Strike, but it is mostly a PvP game due to lack of variety and amount of PvE activities.

• Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142

huh...I always thought it was tits

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

PvE or PvP???? I think it tries to be both and succeeds at neither

I miss DAoC

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

I also really like the pve game in AoC. They are adding to the pve game now ( ala new Commans zone and instances, new raid zone, etc.). I do see your point thou about the pvp aspect. The new Battle Keeps etc are also getting a lot of attention.

I am a pretty casual player so new content does not have to be fast and furious but it does need to work and I will be happy. I am happy so far with AoC, so we will see how it turns out. Also, I need to see if Aion is as good as it look, lol.

• Thanks for the replies.

I've played most of the MMORPG's around and the PvE game is pretty good. The graphics are outstanding and as long as they keep adding PvE stuff, I will probably stick around.

Maybe the PvP game will get better too. over time. I guess its a play and see type of thing. Its not like I'm going miss something in another game or find that wasting time here is any different than wasting time somewhere else.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Focus was supposed to be pvp but they never got it right. The pve is good, but there isn't nearly enough of it. They've added a lot since launch but the game was so broken and incomplete at launch that adding a lot still leaves it lacking.

Originally posted by dhayes68

Focus was supposed to be pvp but they never got it right. The pve is good, but there isn't nearly enough of it. They've added a lot since launch but the game was so broken and incomplete at launch that adding a lot still leaves it lacking.

even the PvE is nothing more than quest grinding, the crafting is sub par, housing is non existent. No endgame etc

I miss DAoC

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Jackdog

even the PvE is nothing more than quest grinding, the crafting is sub par, housing is non existent. No endgame etc

How'd you know Jack? Can you elaborate more from experience?

There is a definate 50/50 split on actual players with regards to PvP / PvE preferability from last pollings, this doesn't seem to of changed as far as I can tell.

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881

I usually call that an 'Enduro'. As in the class of Motorcycle that is half dirt bike / half street bike and not good for either situation.

Btw Avery, your "how would you know, you don't play anymore" spiel is a broken record, iit only impressed the die-hard fans, and from the looks of it these days there aren't many left 'round these parts. Come up with some fresh retorts or you run the risk of becoming white noise / spam.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Unfinished

I usually call that an 'Enduro'. As in the class of Motorcycle that is half dirt bike / half street bike and not good for either situation.

Btw Avery, your "how would you know, you don't play anymore" spiel is a broken record, iit only impressed the die-hard fans, and from the looks of it these days there aren't many left 'round these parts. Come up with some fresh retorts or you run the risk of becoming white noise / spam.

No offence but I think some of your own medicine might help. I am curious on the blanket statements as if I remember correctly Jack hadn't reached the crafting level yet, done a raid or a siege. I might be wrong but as I say was curious to understand how that conclusion was reached?

Is that not a fair question?

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by D|CE

It does not have enough PvE content to call it a PvE game. It is definitely not Counter Strike, but it is mostly a PvP game due to lack of variety and amount of PvE activities.

I don't see how you can say it doesn't have enough pve content considering that's how you level in order to even do pvp in the first place? Obviously it has enough to level your character but as a player you might only actualy enjoy pvp or the pve aspect. Mmo's will always have need to add more content because there will always be "uber" players who rush through the content in 2 wks. and then whine on boards wanting more or they will leave the game, lol.

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

No offence but I think some of your own medicine might help. I am curious on the blanket statements as if I remember correctly Jack hadn't reached the crafting level yet, done a raid or a siege. I might be wrong but as I say was curious to understand how that conclusion was reached?

Is that not a fair question?

It is not secret at this point that AoC is seriously lacking in all of those departments, as well as itemization and low art count.

Most folks don't need to ride a mule all the way to the bottom of the Grand Canyon to know it has one.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

It is not secret at this point that AoC is seriously lacking in all of those departments, as well as itemization and low art count.
    Most folks don't need to ride a mule all the way to the bottom of the Grand Canyon to know it has one.

Ahh but if the mule is a little bucky, one might simply enjoy the ride regardless of the destination. 

Originally posted by whisperwynd

Ahh but if the mule is a little bucky, one might simply enjoy the ride regardless of the destination. 

But not so fun when teh Mule has one leg quite a few inches shorter than the other three.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Originally posted by whisperwynd

But not so fun when teh Mule has one leg quite a few inches shorter than the other three.

LOL  too true. I guess it depends on your  pain to pleasure ratio.

• B1itzkriegerB1itzkrieger Member Posts: 8

Not enough content for PvE game but it is fun and can be challenging to a new guild so I would say it is more PvP based...

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

I played AOC for a year, and at first the game was a lot of fun even with the bugs, but as time went by the game slowly deteriated into what can only be called a giant mess.

Except for the one new zone Funcom never really add anything to the game except more and more mobs, they took plenty away from the game that only made the game less fun to play.

People come back to the game very excited, unfortunatly they never seem to stay long.

In the end I just couldn't play the game anymore,  it has become very dull and boring.  When it comes to making a game fun to play I am afraid Funcom do not have the slightest idea how to go about it.

Originally posted by Crosswire

I played AOC for a year, and at first the game was a lot of fun even with the bugs, but as time went by the game slowly deteriated into what can only be called a giant mess.
    Except for the one new zone Funcom never really add anything to the game except more and more mobs, they took plenty away from the game that only made the game less fun to play.
    People come back to the game very excited, unfortunatly they never seem to stay long.
    In the end I just couldn't play the game anymore,  it has become very dull and boring.  When it comes to making a game fun to play I am afraid Funcom do not have the slightest idea how to go about it.

They managed to make a fun game out of Anarchy Online, problem is it tooks them 2 years post launch to do it, and everyone was lone gone by than.

There is a definate 50/50 split on actual players with regards to PvP / PvE preferability from last pollings, this doesn't seem to of changed as far as I can tell.

well lets see Avery , when I was playing the crafted goods for sale were not nearly the quality of what I could get by soloing, does making level 80 open up player housing, don't think so, biggest bitch on the official forums is that once at 80 all there is to do is grind a alt. Sieges were pretty much a joke, dunno if the still are, I don't raid.. I don't have 5 or 6 hours to devote to it in EQII or LoTRO even so why would I raifd in AoC. PvP in MMORPG's leaves me cold, if I want to PvP i go where skill makes a difference, a good FPS game, not this kiddie crap of camping spawn points and ganking newbies.

You are right about one thing though, twice now AoC has bored me right into canceling it within two weeks. I am going to give it one last shot if/when 1.05 releases but honestly my expectations are low.

AoC did set a record for me though. It had the shortest hard drive life of any MMO that I have ever paid for. I even hung in there for Horizons fro three months and AoC never made it past three weeks the first go around and the second time when I tried the "new improved AoC" I was ready to wipe it by the end of two days.

to me it says a lot about the game when I can't even force myself to play until I reach the crafting level. But from what I saw there was no need to even hang in there. When I craft I like for the results to be worthwhile.

I miss DAoC

• KrewelKrewel Member Posts: 390

What is the main focus of this game? Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and the rest of the cliché.

But seriously, I quickly realized that what the main focus of me as a player and my co-players was differed from what the developers' focus was. I saw the game's focus in guild vs guild pvp encompassing sieges, control for territories and even boss fights. I dreamed of helping build a vast guild city and protect it at all costs. But it did not take long for me to see that the players' expectations and ideas were far more developed and advanced than what the developers wanted (and still do). In fact, I am not even sure anymore what Funcom wants to do with the game - at the beginning they were announcing some fancy features about powerpoints and alliance systems, more guild functionalities and the expansion of guild cities. Then the new director comes in and we have the criminal system, more focus on the mid-game pve stuff and... social pets and colourful mammoths.

Main focus of the game? Before release to be something else than WoW, after release to be like WoW.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

A major failure in endgame PvP is that the bragged about feature, sieges, are still on timers and have limited participation.  IMO they'd improve endgame 1000% if they made BKs vulnerable 24/7 like DAoC.  Cross server minigames would help, too.  IMO unless your idea of endgame PvP is meaningless PvP XP farming involving ganking, zerging, and duels, I can't really say I'd consider the PvP a focus of the game.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

well lets see Avery , when I was playing the crafted goods for sale were not nearly the quality of what I could get by soloing, does making level 80 open up player housing, don't think so, biggest bitch on the official forums is that once at 80 all there is to do is grind a alt. Sieges were pretty much a joke, dunno if the still are, I don't raid.. I don't have 5 or 6 hours to devote to it in EQII or LoTRO even so why would I raifd in AoC. PvP in MMORPG's leaves me cold, if I want to PvP i go where skill makes a difference, a good FPS game, not this kiddie crap of camping spawn points and ganking newbies.

You are right about one thing though, twice now AoC has bored me right into canceling it within two weeks. I am going to give it one last shot if/when 1.05 releases but honestly my expectations are low.

AoC did set a record for me though. It had the shortest hard drive life of any MMO that I have ever paid for. I even hung in there for Horizons fro three months and AoC never made it past three weeks the first go around and the second time when I tried the "new improved AoC" I was ready to wipe it by the end of two days.

to me it says a lot about the game when I can't even force myself to play until I reach the crafting level. But from what I saw there was no need to even hang in there. When I craft I like for the results to be worthwhile.

You liked Horizons better than AoC? lol talk about bass ackwards. That game was horrible beyond anything, one cant even begin to list all the past and current problems with that game. At least AoC hasn't changed company ownership 3 times.

Originally posted by Czanrei

You liked Horizons better than AoC? lol talk about bass ackwards. That game was horrible beyond anything, one cant even begin to list all the past and current problems with that game. At least AoC hasn't changed company ownership 3 times.

well let's just say I hung in there for Horizons for three months after it's launch. Quite frankly I see a lot of similarities in Funcom and  Artifact both seem to talk a lot of crap and screwup with every turn and both of the games seem to suffer from a bad core design. Anyway  I was younger then and dumber  and still had "faith" that a incompetant company  could fix a bad design after launch. Now I no longer will play a MMO on it's "potential", as I get older I realize the true value of my time, if it isn't fun then I put it on the shelf now.

BTW not to derail but I think Horizons under it's 4th ownership.   I have not followed it in years. There was the original developer which was Artifact, then Tulga, then EI bought it, and now I think a few of the old Devs are keeping it on life support. Could be wrong there though.

I miss DAoC

• baconator616baconator616 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Malkosha

Is it basically a PvE game or is it primarily a PvP game?
    I’m a subscriber and just don’t know what to think.

I like the PvE game. It’s very well written and has some nice features that make it fun to play. The combat system fits in very well here and FC has done a nice job on the PvE side of the game so far.

I personally don’t like how PvP works in this game, esp the way melee mechanics work. Far too much CC and while it tries to be “skill” based, its not as skill based as a FPS and plays nothing like a “standard” MMORPG. To me, its caught somewhere in the middle and it doesn’t quite cut it in either direction. All in all, it feels rather awkward.

This wouldn’t be a problem for me unless most of the games development will be directed towards PvP players. If so, then I have picked the wrong game. At this point, it’s a hard decision to dedicate any more time towards a game that on the surface seems fun to play but may only disappoint at some future time if more of the content shifts to the PvP side … unless of course they address my concerns which is doubtful.

So … opinions? Is AoC a PvE game or a PvP game?
    Thanks!

Your guess is as good as anyones

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Crosswire

They managed to make a fun game out of Anarchy Online, problem is it tooks them 2 years post launch to do it, and everyone was lone gone by than.

And they'd probably be better off shutting down AoC and finishing the new game engine (If it will ever release) and re-release Anarchy Online, I just resubbed to Anarchy Online again, but many of us vets have so many 220's that it's almost saddening to see no new people showing up because the graphics are so dated or the game runs like a turtle on most PC's because the GFX cards are not even used.

TwitchTV: iNeoki