Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timings for DDR2 PC6400 800mhz Ram

Eldonan85Eldonan85 Member Posts: 32

Does anyone know what voltage is best on this kind of ram running in dual channel on a ASUS P5QL-EM board?

Comments

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133

What is the part # on the chips?

• Eldonan85Eldonan85 Member Posts: 32

Its Ballistix from crucial.com part number is BL2KIT25664AA80A

Stock voltage is 2.0v and the timmings (STOCK) are 4-4-4-12

Ok, well, when I set the BIOS to default settings, it sets the timings to 5-5-5-18... Any idea why? Or if that will hurt my mobo in time?

Originally posted by Christopherc

Ok, well, when I set the BIOS to default settings, it sets the timings to 5-5-5-18... Any idea why? Or if that will hurt my mobo in time?

Let me Guess.....It shows the memory running at 667mhz?

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

The bios sets a loose default timing for most ram(same goes with the voltage) in order to ensure you can boot your computer. If you have too tight ram timings you can experience all sorts of weird shit. Having too loose ram timings can't hurt your computer whatsoever. If they are rated at 4-4-4-12, there shouldn't any problem in your lowering your timing to that.

Should I lower it? I have it over clocked to 1067 and running it 6-6-6-18, lol, I hope thats fine, it's the way I have had it for like a month, plus I have the cpu overclocked from 2.4 to 2.89, I hope I am doing everything right, overclocking is tricky as hell I am finding out.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Christopherc
    Should I lower it? I have it over clocked to 1067 and running it 6-6-6-18, lol, I hope thats fine, it's the way I have had it for like a month, plus I have the cpu overclocked from 2.4 to 2.89, I hope I am doing everything right, overclocking is tricky as hell I am finding out.

Oh, you want 4-4-4-12. 6-6-6-18 is slower, these numbers are the length of delay between different types of operations in the memory. So smaller numbers here means lower latency / faster response time. 6-6-6-18 is actually making it more stable because you're giving the ram 50% longer than it needs to respond to requests - apologies if you knew this already and timed it that way for stability :)

If you have to make a tradeoff between overclocking the ram speed (1067) and the timing (6-6-6-18) the best result is usually some balance between the two, but the speed generally has a bit more effect on performance than the timing.

LOL, wow I am so glad you told me that, after all this time, I thought i was making it BETTER lol thank you so much