Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible reason for lack of in-game events

forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php

If this poster from the official forums is correct then apparently there is some kind of copyright infringements that prohibits Funcom from sanctioning in-game events that use Conan lore.  Surely this isnt true, if it is then the failed 1 year anniversary event maybe the best that Funcom could do, unfortunately. The community should wait for confirmation from a dev or GM or someone that can verify the information, but if this is true then this is certainly very disappointing news indeed.

The most misused word on the internet:

loose

adjective, looser, loosest, adverb, verb loosed, loosing.
–adjective
1. free or released from fastening or attachment: a loose end.
2. free from anything that binds or restrains; unfettered

The word you are looking for is L-O-S-E. YOu can NOT loose a game.

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

or it could be that Funcom just screwed up

I miss DAoC

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I wouldn't doubt it if it is true. SWG has the same problem because SoE has to go through all kinds of red tape to even move a canon character in-world. If it is true, FC got a bad deal with the contract and the copywright owners should see a good deal when it's offered. yeah the comics and novels and movies are good but why waste another oppurtunity to make better capital for the title.

• KrewelKrewel Member Posts: 390

Well, officially (if that means anything to anybody) it was the community's fault. And now some rabid fanboy who cannot see five meters in front of him further defends the company by claiming legal issues were involved, so basically it was the law who screwed up. Oh man, one fiasco after another, one excuse after another, and one rabid fanboy after another. I just wish FC lackeys were so eager to improve the game...

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Krewel

Well, officially (if that means anything to anybody) it was the community's fault. And now some rabid fanboy who cannot see five meters in front of him further defends the company by claiming legal issues were involved, so basically it was the law who screwed up. Oh man, one fiasco after another, one excuse after another, and one rabid fanboy after another. I just wish FC lackeys were so eager to improve the game...

Please provide me with a link where funcom says it is the community's fault. I know Tarib said the way funcom announced the event they might have raised the expectation amongst the community. but I cannot remember to see where they say it's the community that has to take the blame. so this post I guess I have missed.

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

• KrewelKrewel Member Posts: 390

Crashloop - this is what Tarib says in the threat started by Avery, "The developers have nothing to do with the events outside of the game. This was a community event planned by the community team."

There you go - shirking responsibility, claiming ignorance and blaming community. Indeed a nice image of an MMO company.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by Doomtown

No matter what Funcom does there are always blind fans who make up crazy theories why it wasn't Funcom's fault.
    So.. anniversary 'event' sucked because of legal issues? Yeah.. that sounds reasonable.

Thats a two way street.

Originally posted by Crashloop

Please provide me with a link where funcom says it is the community's fault. I know Tarib said the way funcom announced the event they might have raised the expectation amongst the community. but I cannot remember to see where they say it's the community that has to take the blame. so this post I guess I have missed.

They kinda do say it when they say players misunderstood the announcement.

Everyone who read the initial announcement, thought that something cool was going to happen. Why do you think thousands of players were standing outside Conan's castle? It's not that players were too dumb to understand the situation, it was the way the announcement was written.

I personally believe they had planned for something to happen, but like usual they failed, and now they are blaming the community.

I hate when Funcom does this over and over again. In fact I'm NOT continuing my subscription after it runs out. Maybe if more players quit, Funcom will finally get the message.

Crap like this would never happen with Blizzard, Mythic or any other respectable gaming company.

Most players expected something to happen, I did too. Tbh majority of the guild was located on the bridge waiting for something to happen, we didn't know what but we expected something. If funcom uses this as an excuse or not no one knows except for themself, all we can do is guess. the way the event was written it did seem like there was some plans. and if they intended this to be a player driven event where people should meet up that should have been communicated better. When they say the players misunderstood the announcement they also said they might have been a bit unclear so they didn't put the blame on the players. Tarib did apologize for this, if he had put the blame on the players why should he need to apologize?

The announcement was written in a bad way considering the type of event they planned, that's for sure.

Crashloop - this is what Tarib says in the threat started by Avery, "The developers have nothing to do with the events outside of the game. This was a community event planned by the community team."

There you go - shirking responsibility, claiming ignorance and blaming community. Indeed a nice image of an MMO company.

Tarib and Famine are 2 of the community team members, the way they planned the event and announced it wasn't good enough. Players expected a lot more, we all did because the way it was written. If they had said this is a player driven event and they hoped as many players would gather up that would have been easier to understand. I don't see where they blamed the community at all, the community team isn't the players. It's people like Tarib, Famine etc. These planned and executed the event badly with regards to how it was announced.

I was one of the thousands of players standing waiting for the event to start, I was dissipointed too that there was no event. Badly executed from the community team no doubt about that.

• FC-FamineFC-Famine Funcom Community ManagerMember UncommonPosts: 278

They kinda do say it when they say players misunderstood the announcement.

Everyone who read the initial announcement, thought that something cool was going to happen. Why do you think thousands of players were standing outside Conan's castle? It's not that players were too dumb to understand the situation, it was the way the announcement was written.

I personally believe they had planned for something to happen, but like usual they failed, and now they are blaming the community.

I hate when Funcom does this over and over again. In fact I'm NOT continuing my subscription after it runs out. Maybe if more players quit, Funcom will finally get the message.

Crap like this would never happen with Blizzard, Mythic or any other respectable gaming company.

When an announcement from a community manager states that some misunderstanding has occurred from a message that a community manager had conveyed. Then it's our problem for not being as detailed and clear. That's part of our positions within the game industry and sometimes we do communicate things that need better clarification and or could lead to some misunderstanding. That's never saying it's your fault for that misunderstanding and I don't believe the announcement says that. I do believe we have some misunderstanding and that's falls back on us to better clarify. It does happen time to time and that's what we are here to do.

Glen ''Famine'' Swan
    Senior Assistant Community Manager - Funcom

Tarib and Famine are 2 of the community team members, the way they planned the event and announced it wasn't good enough. Players expected a lot more, we all did because the way it was written. If they had said this is a player driven event and they hoped as many players would gather up that would have been easier to understand. I don't see where they blamed the community at all, the community team isn't the players. It's people like Tarib, Famine etc. These planned and executed the event badly with regards to how it was announced.

I was one of the thousands of players standing waiting for the event to start, I was dissipointed too that there was no event. Badly executed from the community team no doubt about that.

This isn't just a case of bad communication by the community team. There was supposed to be vendors and who knows what but we never saw them. Once again it was the Funcom programmers who failed to deliver.

The vendors were a minor part of this event if you look at what people expected. the bad communication came from the fact people expected some GM handled event. if the vendors had popped up as planned people would have said "WTF is this it???" and still flamed Funcom for a bad event. The idea behind the event was perhaps good, it was poorly exceuted with the fact the vendor's didn't seem to pop up and players expecting way more then what seems to the original plan. They could have popped up for all I know I kept most of the attention to the castle si if they popped up on the bridge I most likely wouldn't have seen it.

• BarteauxBarteaux Member Posts: 483

Lol, seriously... People leave the game because they were disapointed that the in-game anniversary party didn't stand up to expectations?

Well, I was happy with the fireworks, and not having to deal with the 'ol WoW-Circus.

"nerf rock, paper is working as intended."

- Scissors.

Head Chop

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by comablak18

forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php

If this poster from the official forums is correct then apparently there is some kind of copyright infringements that prohibits Funcom from sanctioning in-game events that use Conan lore.  Surely this isnt true, if it is then the failed 1 year anniversary event maybe the best that Funcom could do, unfortunately. The community should wait for confirmation from a dev or GM or someone that can verify the information, but if this is true then this is certainly very disappointing news indeed.

@Silirrion hi there are there any kind of copyright infringements that prohibits Funcom from sanctioning in-game events that use Conan lore?

@Avery78 Not specifically, but it would depend on the context, we couldn't kill of Conan for example so we would still have to respect lore.