Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Lords of Over Clocking

The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Comments

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by solareus

Futuremark is holding there Extreme " Lords of Overclocjing" which brings clockers from 3 continents together for the over clocking world t and regiional titles. Check out the systems components !
    ATI clearly slamming Nvidia up and down the in the Video card department, but the CPU it is a 2 to 1 intel favor for now ! Keep checking back , clockers are continuely posting ! Maybe you have what it take ? 
    www.futuremark.com/community/competitions/overclocking/regional09/week1/

YeY.......They can run a 5 minute program without crashing!!.....YeY  This means nothing to the everyday user!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Futuremark is holding there Extreme " Lords of Overclocjing" which brings clockers from 3 continents together for the over clocking world t and regiional titles. Check out the systems components !
    ATI clearly slamming Nvidia up and down the in the Video card department, but the CPU it is a 2 to 1 intel favor for now ! Keep checking back , clockers are continuely posting ! Maybe you have what it take ? 

Nice find :)

I saw this posted today too: Celeron Scorches Past 8GHz, Second Highest Clockspeed Ever Achieved

Play a game for 4 hrs on that system and tell me what your LN bill is. LOL   They cant last  20 min. with out frying something! LOL!

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Cool stuff...I'm too much of a wuss to do much OCing...afraid I'll f@ck up and cause splosions...or at least be able to roast marshmallows over my  motherboard.

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by Sir_Drip

YeY.......They can run a 5 minute program without crashing!!.....YeY  This means nothing to the everyday user!

Actually it means a lot, cause Nvidia cards are not able to maintain there cool under extreme conditions. It would seem if your where using a laptop in the dead of space, or in the Antartica, doing research, which compture hardware will you use. Ice age comes, everything will work that uses AMD processors and GFX cards .

Maybe that is silly to think about, but look at the result of these extreme tests, not only are they pushing the hardware, they are pushing hardware developers to make more sustainable applications.

THe Nvidia boards are crashing.... that to me is not solid craftmanship, in the hardware or drivers :)

The above post has got to be the most unrealistic response to a post i have ever seen. If another ice age comes, technology will probably we thrown out the window. people wont simply go to another brand of computer component because it does well at extreme cold temperatures. most people will probably be dead at that point and those that do survive are probably looking for a way to continue to survive. (pure speculation)

who cares if these people can get extreme clocks out of components for X amount of time. the general population of the world is not doing this nor can they afford it more than likely nor will they be willing to do it just so they can burn up their computer in 5 minutes.

all overclocking is for is so someone can brag. nothing more nothing less.

MAybe you missed the part where I said "maybe it is silly"   Brainstorming is half the fun of developing things, if someone lacks the ability to think a head, how will things go forward ?

Maybe 5 minutes is the limit of the coolant, and not the computer, did that ever cross your mind ?

have fun trying to make something as legitament as Futuremark look stupid since NVIDIA is not able to produce one great gfx score :)

Atleast you still have PhysX LOL

Yea....Let Nvidia turn on Physx and lets see what happens. For some of you ...you might remember...why that option is no longer. The rule is that ATI dose NOT have an answer for this....So they do NOT test with PHYSX on! And remember when vantage scores went through the roof, when the first Physx was tested on Vantage. Within 2 weeks they shut it down because they were taking the Cpu load and putting it on the GPU....Now thats the rule.....They were running the CPU load at much faster speed on the GPU and rendering 60 frames per...For the norm...and blew away Vantage scores!

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334

MAybe you missed the part where I said "maybe it is silly"   Brainstorming is half the fun of developing things, if someone lacks the ability to think a head, how will things go forward ?

Maybe 5 minutes is the limit of the coolant, and not the computer, did that ever cross your mind ?

have fun trying to make something as legitament as Futuremark look stupid since NVIDIA is not able to produce one great gfx score :)

5 minutes. woopity doo. doesnt matter if its the time limit of the coolant or not. how does that actually translate into the real world of your typical gamer. it doesnt. yea they are doing some pretty cool stuff that probably wont come into fruition where the normal joe gamer can afford. they are using things to gain these scores you and i just dont go to the store and buy everyday. perhaps you missed that aspect. it seems with these overclocking tests they arent really thinking "ahead". all they are doing is using almost unatainable resources to cool some components for X amount of time to achieve the highest possible score to win X prize.  please explain to me in your infinite wisdom how this is thinking ahead.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Yea....Let Nvidia turn on Physx and lets see what happens. For some of you ...you might remember...why that option is no longer. The rule is that ATI dose NOT have an answer for this....So they do NOT test with PHYSX on! And remember when vantage scores went through the roof, when the first Physx was tested on Vantage. Within 2 weeks they shut it down because they were taking the Cpu load and putting it on the GPU....Now thats the rule.....They were running the CPU load at much faster speed on the GPU and rendering 60 frames per...For the norm...and blew away Vantage scores!

And if we used another test which had Havok hardware support then it would be the exacty opposite. Using PhysX in that test wouldn't make any sense what so ever because it's not a uniform standard. Let both nVidia and ATI implement hardware support for OpenCL and try that. That would be interesting. But when comparing processing capabilities you would want a test that's as unified as possible. You see, the thing is, you could get similar results with any other API than PhysX, but when you specifically use PhysX you'll need hardware support for it in order to get good scores.

Besides, in 1-2 years time we will either se Physx vs Havok or both using OpenCL. And as it stands right now, PhysX ain't exactly doing much for the games - at least not on PC(as I've already established in a previous thread). As said it's of course bonus right now, but it's nothing to get a stiffer from.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by solareus Like I said ... /rolleyes

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/733/1/
    http://hothardware.com/News/NVIDIA_Responds_To_GPU_PhysX_Cheating_Allegation/
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nvidia-Drivers-Cheat-3DMark-Vantage-Score-88713.shtml
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/GPU-PhysX-Removed-from-Futuremark-039-s-Hall-Of-Fame-90391.shtml
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-251883_33_50.html
    This is not my first clam bake!
    EDIT- Try to look at them all! Read them...Understand them...

WELL?

Because the physics test 3dmark Vantage does is a CPU test with support for PPU. When the GPU takes over the physics test while not having to allocate any resources toward actual graphics rendering, it is able to pump out inflated scores since it has nothing else to work on.

In an actual game, or a synthetic benchmark that accounted for this and tested the physics and rendering at the same time, the GPU would be quite busy with actual graphics processing and not be able to pump out such inflated scores. Then you run into the problem of whether to allocate GPU time to rendering or to physics - which score do you focus on? Therefore Futuremark removed the Physx GPGPU test results because it wasn't designed to test the card in that manner.

It actually has nothing to do with ATI cards and more to do with getting realistic with the benchmark's current design.

With NVIDIA releasing their GeForce PhysX drivers, users of the PhysX accelerating GeForce cards were at an advantage over their Radeon counterparts, reason being that in a certain CPU test routine of the 3DMark Vantage benchmark, the physics processing abilities of the computer are tested, and since the physics API used happens to be PhysX, users of GeForce get higher scores despite not having a physics processor device such as an Ageia PhysX card. This differs from a real-life scenario where a GeForce accelerator does both graphics and physics and the overhead of physics processing affects the graphics processing abilities.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Jackcolt

O

Besides, in 1-2 years time we will either se Physx vs Havok or both using OpenCL. And as it stands right now, PhysX ain't exactly doing much for the games - at least not on PC(as I've already established in a previous thread). As said it's of course bonus right now, but it's nothing to get a stiffer from.

.....Ummm?.....really?.....I feel so ashamed.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

ATI is dominating the fair playing feild, having the top 6 slots in all 3 continets , per the time stamp of this post .

ATI usually does but how well the card works when you actually play games is a different matter.

It is fun to really overclock something as much as possible but this is not something you actually do on your regular gaming rigg either. A bit of overclocking is not bad if you have the cooling for it but history is full of morons who burnt up their computers, usually AMD processors.

I clock quite a bit myself, but I still prefer Nvidia card since I seems to get more out of them when I am actually playing then ATI cards. ATIs hardware is better but the drivers suck and need a lot of tweaking to do what they should. It have always been like that and I don't have the time for that anymore myself.

If you are good with computers then ATI is a good choice but if you don't then Nvidia is almost a must. And that is for actual gaming, not to get most FPS in a benchmark test.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170
    Originally posted by BarCrow

Originally posted by Jackcolt

O

.....Ummm?.....really?.....I feel so ashamed.

yeah you should be ;)

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Wow I don't know about your guys' assessment of ATI.. Nvidia has almost always had the single fastest GPU at any time, costing $500-$600 dollars - that seems like a true geek card to me :) They definitely had some terrible GPU design in the 5x00 and early 7x00 series though.