Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

spamm messages on mmorpg.com

2»

Comments

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Originally posted by Meddle

Just as an update I've banned 425 accounts on the site in the past 24 hours to curb this.  They all signed up with different IPs and it was hard to track them down.  In short I'll be watching the mail system closely to keep fighting these bastards.  I like the idea of a trial period before being able to send PMs but don't think that will curb them for too long.  The message limit per day is a good idea and I'll run some metrixs on the database to determine a suitable amount of messages to allow in a 24 hour period that won't affect too many of our members.

Thanks i received a spam email from some new users.  Can i suggest you add a report spam button to email originating from user on the site.  That way it would be easier for us to report them to you.

• chipgmchipgm Member Posts: 50

Thought that message I recieved was kind of weird. It is the same message that was posted here that started this post. I guess they will have to set a new standard before people can start pm'ing I guess.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

I got one yesterday too and looked in vane for a way to report it.  Either a forward direct to the help desk or a report spam button would be great.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    Originally posted by Locklain

Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

I didn't get one.
    I feel a bit left out. :(

One second, I will send you one so you don't feel so left out!

Who says were not a caring community?

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

oh yer, I got one as well,

umm ........So not a good idea to let her move in next week?

edit:  my gal was called Veronica Phillips,

.......oh Veronica how could you!?!

• MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by Nebless

I got one yesterday too and looked in vane for a way to report it.  Either a forward direct to the help desk or a report spam button would be great.

This is a good idea and one we'll implement.  I'm thinking of it being more automated though... 5 spam reports from a user and they can no longer send out of the internal mail system.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

This is a good idea and one we'll implement.  I'm thinking of it being more automated though... 5 spam reports from a user and they can no longer send out of the internal mail system.

Such automatization is way easy to abuse.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Such automatization is way easy to abuse.

Well, it says they wont be able to send anything through the mail system. It can easily be countered by just asking for permission from a mod, which is more work than these spammers would do.

Though, would be a good idea with this system, to have to have the message in question examined before any real action, but you do suspend the account's mailing capabilities til such examination occurs.

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

Yup I got Veronica also.  Apparently  I seem like an interesting person lol.         

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

I suppose it was only a matter of time before Ciara Murphy (same message verbatim) found my lair. Before I saw this thread, I thought one of my ex-s had tried to locate me for some child support!!!

Edit: Must have been really desperate to send one to our good friend, Jon Wood!

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

i got about 70 spam emails today mostly trying to sell viagara or some diet aid recommended by o. wimfrey.

Since you guys (mmorpg.com) REFUSE to divulge the headers of these spam emails it is impossible to prove-take punitive actions against these ONGOING spamers.

• DunkelKidDunkelKid Member Posts: 1

I know that the last post is 1 month old but.. guess what I found today! Same thing, from user Hanna_44qe signed Christa Anderson