Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pining for your first time?

I just read a post over in one of the Horizons forums and some guy said that he loved Horizons when he first played it but things got sour for him. And although he's played far better games since (CoH), EQ II and, obviously WoW), he still harkens back to the fum he had with his first MMORPG experience.

I had A LOT of this with DAoC which I played religiously every day for about 2 years but has not been surpassed by games with more to offer. However because I'm from England and played Albion chars. The game really left a mark on me. So much so that I began to by historical books on the period/legend of Arthur (don't mention the film!!!), and even some fiction by the amazing Bernard Cornwell.

It's been a while since I cancelled my DAoC account now, over a year in fact, and I've played for short periods mostly, all the major european releases going. But I still get the urge to relieve those fond memories of playing the game that first time. With no maps but my own and no spoiler sites out there for the quests etc.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there had similar experiences with games that had really left a mark on them as a person?

Comments

• TimjapowerTimjapower Member Posts: 35
    Yes, frighteningly enough it was Star Wars Galaxies. In my younger years I was a Star Wars Fanatic. Playing the game brought back some nostalgia from a time where my greatest wishes were to live in the Star Wars Universe. But the inability to find fellow roleplayers killed it over a six month time frame. Now I am looking into Fantasy games with Roleplay servers. But I do have to say, living the Star Wars dream was in fact one of those life altering moments. Maybe not a huge one, but it did make a difference.

• scarveinscarvein Member Posts: 194

I know what you are talking about.. but my first game was Ultima Online in its beginning.. what an awesome game it was.. still i cant stop comparing the new games to this pearl :) Many guys are now flaming UO, but most of them never played the original before the screwing expansions ;) I still know a few shards that have great RP only communities and where it is fun to play .. hmm ROLEplay! But the only change on my personality i can think of is that i am 59% addicted to MMORPGs :) If i never knew fantasy or was not interested in history before, it certainly would change me.. but because i love iboth of this there is not much to change ::::02:: damn i will better stop this madtalking and get some sleep.. i had like 5 hours of sleep last three days ::::03::

----Please, watch the demonstration very closely, I will do it only once! - Japanese Kamikaze trainer----

• aaddamaaddam Member Posts: 83

I get to exact same thing with EQ.

My main char in EQ had got 370 days played on it(non of it afk in the bazzar) at the start of this year when i stopped playing thats over a year spent on that game in a 4 year period that i played it, and since i left i just can not get that feeling again in any mmorpg i have played since.

I still go back to EQ every now and then but i get bored within a week or 2 and cancel again.

ALL I WANT IS THAT FEELING AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW you dont need to tell me i am sad spending that much time playing a char in a pritty short period of time as i already know i am :)

• deb1deb1 Member Posts: 111
    its a feeling you will never get agian in any other MMORPG sadly.it dont mater how good the game is, the first one you played will always be the one you look back on as the most fun you ever had. Mine is AC1.

• penguinmanepenguinmane Member Posts: 73

oddly enough i miss my 2nd time... uo was my first love

b4 then i played muds and the like.... somehow even though it was my first time... i guess it never really affected me.... i guess i need some type of true graphic for the feeling

Uo.... how i miss thee

how i miss the non-grind type of play