Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSpot Weighs In on WoW and EQII

2»

Comments

• CrabbyCrabby Member Posts: 153
    Maybe he played EQII first and then WoW.  Think about that one for a minute.

• rpgmasterjayrpgmasterjay Member Posts: 62

A few things I need to point out:
    1. you can't compare different genres.
    2. You can give a game a 10 now even if it has it's flaws cause a review is made now and looks if a game deservers it's grade compared to other games that are out NOW(and not in like 50 years).
    3. 1 reviewer can review both games because that's the same as saying a reviewer couldn't rate NFS: Underground 2 and Burnout 3 because he could like one serie better(most of them are professionals who do it as fair as possible).
    4. Just buy a game because YOU like it and not just because someone else tells you it's good(although if a game gets a 4 or so that might mean that it really is bad)

• jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

First of all I want to say I would give WoW a 8.9, and EQ2 probably a 8.6.

Now having said that, it seems a little biased to me. The same guy who reviewed Warcraft 3, and gave it a 9.3, reviewed WoW. Not only that, but for the newest Everquest expansion(I think it is the newest), "Gates of Discord", the same reviewer gave that a 6.8. Seems as though EQ left a bad taste in his mouth and he has liked previous Blizzard games(which shouldn't weigh in on the rating of completely new games). I know they are supposed to be completely unbiased, but .....

Plus he probably never got past level 20 in either of them... I would trust a player's review of someone who has hit level 60(as biased as they can be), before I would go by one of these reviews.

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

I always prefer IGN over Gamespot anyways, they gave EQ2 an 8.6, HL2 a 9.7 and they will probably give WoW somewhere around 9.3-9.5. Anyways they gave Gates of Discord a 9 something. As you can see, since IGNs EQ2 review came about 2 weeks later, they obviously had more experience with the game than the GS guy.

• FumarmataFumarmata Member Posts: 47

I completeted HL2 in 3 days and that was it - only other option was to play it at a more difficult level...Zzzzz. However, I played World of Warcraft Open Beta for two weeks and loved every minute of it!

I think WoW deserves a much higher mark than HL2 because HL2 is so short lived.

• FlamingIceFlamingIce Member UncommonPosts: 120
    They gave WoW a 9 for graphics and gave EQ2 an 8.  I just lost all respect for gamespot, and I'm a WoW fan, but it just appears obvious that EQ2 looks more detailed than WoW. I've played both when they were in beta and even though I enjoyed WoW more, EQ2 was definetely better looking in terms of graphics.

• BabbuunBabbuun Member Posts: 333
    The graphical look of both games can be debated: At worst WoW is low polygon cartoon mess. At worst EQ2 is "ridiculous doll faces left in the oven to bloat only to move 2 fps in the game" graphics. Both are pretty harsh judgements. I personally preferred WoW because it never disappointed, while EQ2:s graphs were a excellent here and there and hilariously bad at some points(this is for the graphical look not the technology). Are we giving points to technology or consistancy?

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

You dont rate a game based on how long it is. Obviously a single player game will be shorter lived than a MMORPH which is supposed to support players for years. Theres no comparison. Rate the game based on the experiences you had while playing, not based on how long you can play it. Thats just stupid to base a game on play time.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by Harafnir

So... Now a REWIEVER is called a biased fan boi, because you did not like the result?

I've gotta agree about the reviewer doing both the games.  They should at least have a second opinion review like Game Informer does.  Now this isn't necessarily based on just the EQ2 vs WoW review, but any game comparison.  There may be a little bias.  He may have enjoyed WoW more and decided not to delve fully into EQ2 which in turn would create a biased opinion.  For him to do a solid review, he would need to play them both the same amount of time (say 40 hours each, 1 week is such a general timeframe). 

I really don't think EQ deserved that low of a score.  I would say maybe an 8.5.  I can't say anything about WoW because I never have played it, and probably never will.  I bought EQ2, I am not buying another until Pirates of the Burning Sea hits the shelves.

--------------------------------------------

33.333333333333336% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?

Killer 100%
    Achiever 53%
    Explorer 33%
    Socializer 13%

• 92165449216544 Member Posts: 1,904

I dont think it deserves near that. I think an 8.0 for WoW would have been perfect. Ive never played EQ2 so I cant coment on that...

EQ2 Qeynos Guild- http://www.imperium-arcanum.com

• zebulonezebulone Member Posts: 15

My goodness! That is a high score. ::::02::

If it had been 9.0, i'd still be pleased. 9.5 might be overkill, but im fine with it!
    Haven't read the EQ2 review, just saw the score, and it's about same score i would give it!

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by dekron

There may be a little bias.  He may have enjoyed WoW more and decided not to delve fully into EQ2 which in turn would create a biased opinion.  For him to do a solid review, he would need to play them both the same amount of time (say 40 hours each, 1 week is such a general timeframe). 

I really don't think EQ deserved that low of a score.  I would say maybe an 8.5.  I can't say anything about WoW because I never have played it, and probably never will.  I bought EQ2, I am not buying another until Pirates of the Burning Sea hits the shelves.

Now, I will not dive into another pointless discussion against imaginary arguments without any proven basis in reality... But yes, you made me stand by my last statement all the more strongly. Not only is he a biased fan boi... Now he, who do this for a living, did not even play EQ II enough? And you know this? Nope no not a chance... Imaginary...

I rather stay with he stupid people than with those building a belief system around pink elephants. EQ II players just do not live on this planet.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• LugnardLugnard Member Posts: 474

Here's a compiled list of all the reviews for WoW & EQ2:

WoW: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/534914.asp

Avg. Score: 92%

User Score: 8.5

EQ2: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/561210.asp?q=everquest%202

Avg. Score: 85%

User Score: 7.2

As you can see, WoW clearly is the better game when compared to EQ2... no matter who reviews them.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by Harafnir

Now, I will not dive into another pointless discussion against imaginary arguments without any proven basis in reality... But yes, you made me stand by my last statement all the more strongly. Not only is he a biased fan boi... Now he, who do this for a living, did not even play EQ II enough? And you know this? Nope no not a chance... Imaginary...
    I rather stay with he stupid people than with those building a belief system around pink elephants. EQ II players just do not live on this planet.

I am not at all saying he is a biased fan boi.  But hell, he liked WoW over EQ2.  That's his preference.  If he picked EQ2 over WoW, that would be his preference then.  My point about him possibly not playing EQ2 as much was yes a little "imaginary" and unproven, but so stating fact that he is not a "biased fan boi".  I'm sure you read my post completely to see that I was not bashing WoW at all.  I am sure it is a great game and deserved the score it recieved.  I chose not to play it because I was (1) Familiar with the EQ universe, and (2) it was on the shelves first. 

And no matter what people think, if you chose one thing over another, then yes, your opinion becomes somewhat biased.  If you choose Halo 2 over Half Life 2, you have your reasons and have negative issues dealing with HL2, so you would then be biased if someone said "Hey should I get Halo 2 or HL2"?

A response would probably be, "Well, HL2 has some good points, but I would choose Halo 2 because...".  I for one am sick and tired of these EQ2 vs WoW threads.  Read my post again, I was saying in general that the reviews (especially 2 games like this with such an impact on gamers) should have secondary reviews.  I am not trying to bash WoW and I am not trying to start a flame war either. 

33.333333333333336% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?

Killer 100%
    Achiever 53%
    Explorer 33%
    Socializer 13%

• LILLIPPA328LILLIPPA328 Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by ianubisi
    GameSpot finished its reviews of WoW and EQII.WoW: 9.5
    EQII: 7.8Same reviewer (Greg Kasavin), I've been reading his work for years and he's usually pretty accurate. I'm playing EQII now, and won't touch WoW until my subscription runs out so I can't comment on the discrepancy personally...but a 9.5 from GameSpot is the highest rating they've given a PC game ever...and Greg is usually a pretty tough reviewer.Decide for yourself.

CORRECTION: 9.6 is the highest PC game score ever by Diablo. ::::28::

**Like to talk about Video Games?Go to Veiwers Pick Forums...

http://viewerspick.proboards35.com/index.cgi?

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by FlamingIce
    They gave WoW a 9 for graphics and gave EQ2 an 8.  I just lost all respect for gamespot, and I'm a WoW fan, but it just appears obvious that EQ2 looks more detailed than WoW. I've played both when they were in beta and even though I enjoyed WoW more, EQ2 was definetely better looking in terms of graphics.

This point is down to personal opinion, so when you say "EQ2 was definitely better looking in terms of graphics" you are patently incorrect. When it comes to opinions, there are no definites.

In my opinion, the graphics in Everquest 2 are just plain bad. They have no artistic flair, very little style, almost no creativity, and are without question the blandest looking graphics I've seen in recent memory. Other adjectives that spring to mind are "blank", "dull", "soulless" and "uninviting".

• CIM_LWCIM_LW Member Posts: 282

Compared to other MMORPGs, WoW does deserve the high rating it got. Who cares what rating Halo 2 or HL 2 got; they're not even the same genre.

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

first off HL2 WILL have as long a life span as an mmorpg. Why? because the modding community, valve promised single player missions and the list goes on. Second I dont beleave in reviews what so ever. If i am looking to see if i like the game i do research. I feel sorry for people who check one play for a review to let other people judge a game you havnt play for you.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Don't think i'm going to touch this thread.  Way too hot to touch. image

The sig that I wish I could use:
    http://home.comcast.net/~robthegamer/Undeadtest.gif

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Gamespot rates all games that sell well high. Don't know why. Maybe because games that sell well are good? I am a very critical person and I have found VERY LITTLE to complain about in WoW, so I feel any review that does not rate it at least among the highest 10% of their marking scheme is somehow biased. Anyway... yeah it's good. Gamespot is a subpar gaming site. Good fresh news, but poor reviews, and very poor articles in general. So listen to them if your a casual gamer, but if you really know your stuff you might want to look else where for game reviews. This rating that they have given WoW is no suprise to me, so they got this one right anyway.

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

This discussion has been closed.