Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoH versus WoW

Oh no, not another comparison!

Or ... that Blazeroth guy, he is always talking about City of Heroes. Can't we ban him?

This is not a conversation such as we had with EQ2 vs WoW.

Intead, I will say this - lessons learned in CoH are invaluable in  WoW.

For example, in CoH, you are constantly fighting. You fight mobs. If you want to hunt at higher levels, be prepared to take on 4-12 person groups. If you don't watch your position, you wind up aggro'ing two groups. And that is bad. When you die, you get debt. When you are in a mission, creatures don't respawn behind you.

OK, so what is the point of this post? CoH was like advanced combat training for WoW. In WoW, rarely do you have clustered mobs. Instead, mobs spread out. After playing CoH, where mobs stand shoulder to shoulder, and hitting one draws the aggro of the group, I hit one mob in WoW until it dies. Its buddies stand around, barely noticing me (one exception I have found is the scream of that raptor-thing. It can alert its buddies. Centaurs occassionally act in groups in certain areas). But overall, after playing CoH, it feels like there is a super freeway between mobs.

(This is not a complaint, or a comparison of what is better, they are both good games, just different. My point is, if you play CoH, from a combat perspective, you will have a leg up in WoW in terms of your experience).

I say this because in CoH position of your toon is everything. You are constantly worried about aggro. As a result, in WoW, I am more than capable of moving around without drawing aggro, and am amazed when I am in a group and people don't see mobs.

On another note ... the XP per creature in WoW would be a dream in CoH. 100+ for killing creatures one level above you. In CoH, with those numbers, I would hit L60 in a week. In 4 days of WoW, I hit L20, and only grinded a couple of times (not to mention the XP for quests).

My only worry is that I will hit L60 soon, at this rate, unless the middle part of the game is somehow different. I would suggest Blizzard tones the XP down a tad. Granted, you don't have the numbers of the mob that CoH does (like if you get 20xp per kill in CoH in a mission, you are going heck yeah, man), but still, 100+ per kill means levels come quickly.

I might be in for a huge reality check. Certainly after going to Hillsbrad, it was like, uh oh, this is not good (as an L19 for an Undead mission).

Overall, I will still play both games, but haven't touched CoH since last Monday ...

Currently playing:
City of Heroes
World of Warcraft

Currently playing:
World of Warcraft

Comments

• Lill-TrollLill-Troll Member Posts: 230
    The main reason that you level so fast in the beginning, is that WoW is designed to for people who are not able to play several hours/day. Personally I think it's pretty good, it took me 2 weeks to hit level 25 in OB (Reaching 25 the very last day) And the fine thing with WoW is that once you reach level 60 with your first Avatar (I'll be playing with 4 or 5 from the beginning) you can create another 49 Avatars of various combinations of Races and Classes. I will play every race and Class there is befoer I retire from WoW. And I reckon it'll take me 3-4 months for each Avatar to max out. And by that time there'll likely be new content designed specifically for lvl 60 Avatars.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    "Flamers, beware! when you leave this earth, there is a very special place reserved for you down below with romantic bonefires scourching you bones!"

"I have no prejudices, I hate everyone equally regardless of race or religion"

"Been there, done that!"

"Flamers, beware! when you leave this earth, there is a very special place reserved for you down below with romantic bonefires scourching you bones!"

"Been there, done that!"

• Nimrod4154Nimrod4154 Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Lill-Troll
    The main reason that you level so fast in the beginning, is that WoW is designed to for people who are not able to play several hours/day. Personally I think it's pretty good, it took me 2 weeks to hit level 25 in OB (Reaching 25 the very last day) And the fine thing with WoW is that once you reach level 60 with your first Avatar (I'll be playing with 4 or 5 from the beginning) you can create another 49 Avatars of various combinations of Races and Classes. I will play every race and Class there is befoer I retire from WoW. And I reckon it'll take me 3-4 months for each Avatar to max out. And by that time there'll likely be new content designed specifically for lvl 60 Avatars.

"Been there, done that!"

If you chose every single combination I think you would get burnt out. Youd get burnt out after 2 or 3 Level 60s probably because a game can only offer so much content if youve made it that many times.

Games Played:DoAC, EQ, CoH, Lineage 2, Planetside, Shadowbane, EQ2, EVE, WoW Beta
    Playing:(Waiting to buy WoW)

• Lill-TrollLill-Troll Member Posts: 230

Originally posted by Nimrod4154

Originally posted by Lill-Troll

"Been there, done that!"

If you chose every single combination I think you would get burnt out. Youd get burnt out after 2 or 3 Level 60s probably because a game can only offer so much content if youve made it that many times.

Games Played:DoAC, EQ, CoH, Lineage 2, Planetside, Shadowbane, EQ2, EVE, WoW Beta
    Playing:(Waiting to buy WoW)

"It's better to burn out, than fade away!" - The Kurgan, Highlander

"Been there, done that!"

"Been there, done that!"

This discussion has been closed.