Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are the players?

avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

I got on the game tonight (PVE server) and the game is dead.  Hardly anyone in sight.  My duo partner and I were the only ones on in a guild of 70.  Most players quit at lvl 7 (end of tutorial). 

At first I liked the game but as I leveled up it became less and less enjoyable.  Ringsfell is over the top for a level 16-17 player unless you group (or are hardcore and like to die a lot).   The game just doesn't feel right at all (I am a casual-intermediate player).  Some quests are very hard and give very poor exp others are easy and give lots of exp.  The client crashes (still) when going through portals.  The mobs super aggro on you once your out of the beginning area and there are simply too many mobs (or too few people in the game to keep them knocked down).   The game has no where near the polish that LOTRO has (yeah I know some of you like that...but not enough to sustain the game for profit).   There are skills that damage you or your party members when you use them.  I can go on and on, but you get the idea. 

I have a 3 month sub which I will not renew.  Maybe I will try it in a year or so.

Comments

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659

Yes, the combat system is easy to learn but hard to master. They even advertise the game using that phrase. And yes, the game is a bit rough around the edges. Ringfell is a tough place for the newcomer. Even frustrating at times and you need to know your way around there to keep the aggro from getting out of control. I do not expect the game ever becoming easier. The increase of players is steady but slow. However, they do need more content to keep people busy at higher levels. Lots of people do indeed not play beyond the f2p zone. It is a problem when you are in a guild that accepts these players without controlling their numbers.

--
    Delanor

• GrenadierGrenadier Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by avalon1000

I got on the game tonight (PVE server) and the game is dead.  Hardly anyone in sight.  My duo partner and I were the only ones on in a guild of 70.  Most players quit at lvl 7 (end of tutorial). 
    At first I liked the game but as I leveled up it became less and less enjoyable.  Ringsfell is over the top for a level 16-17 player unless you group (or are hardcore and like to die a lot).   The game just doesn't feel right at all (I am a casual-intermediate player).  Some quests are very hard and give very poor exp others are easy and give lots of exp.  The client crashes (still) when going through portals.  The mobs super aggro on you once your out of the beginning area and there are simply too many mobs (or too few people in the game to keep them knocked down).   The game has no where near the polish that LOTRO has (yeah I know some of you like that...but not enough to sustain the game for profit).   There are skills that damage you or your party members when you use them.  I can go on and on, but you get the idea. 
    I have a 3 month sub which I will not renew.  Maybe I will try it in a year or so.

I agree that Spellborn has a problem with player retention. There are enough inconsistencies in the game (like quest exp and your first visit to Ringfell) that it will surely turn off a lot of players.

But I disagree completely with your comment about the game not feeling right. Spellborn feels very right. Its the first MMORPG that I have seen where you really feel like you know what is going on around you because of the engaging quests. Its the first MMORPG that I seen where the story is interesting enough to make me want to play just to know more about the world. The combat is fluid and you always feel like you're in control of your character.

Your comparison to LotRO is a fair one, but unrealistic. LotRO is probably the most polished MMOG ever to be released. We can't expect every game to have that level of polish. It also probably cost an order or magnitude more money to develop. And finally, the comparison is a difficult one because LotRO plays exactly like all the other mainstream MMOG's that have been released in the last decade, Spellborn doesn't.

What I have come to realize is that the biggest shortcoming of Spellborn isn't even the inconsistencies that you mention. Its the complete and total lack of any sandbox features what so ever. The crafting system, and even the inventory in general, is better left completely forgotten and ignored. Had they added a crafting system that is even moderately more engaging and accessible then people would feel like they have a greater amount of control over the character's power and ability to deal with the game's inconsistencies. The Sigil system should have had a similar degree of effect as the enhancement system had in City of Heroes. Collecting from resource nodes should have provided a path for some amount of character development.

What is really strange is that I am playing an upcoming post apacalypse MMOG beta that has lots of sandbox features. In this game the crafting is almost overdone, but the combat and quests aren't even near as good as Spellborn. Yet dispite that, the gameplay is more engaging because I feel like I have more choices and control about what I am doing and how strong my character is.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Grenadier

...because of the engaging quests. Its the first MMORPG that I seen where the story is interesting enough to make me want to play just to know more about the world. The combat is fluid and you always feel like you're in control of your character...

The combat & Skill System is OK - nothing astonishing, but a nice system.  Pity they didn't put any "engaging quests" in the first couple of zones though.  The first 10 levels have some of the most yawn-inducing quests I've ever seen in any MMO, and I'm not about to throw more money or more time at the game to see if it gets any better.

• GrenadierGrenadier Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

Originally posted by Grenadier

...because of the engaging quests. Its the first MMORPG that I seen where the story is interesting enough to make me want to play just to know more about the world. The combat is fluid and you always feel like you're in control of your character...

The combat & Skill System is OK - nothing astonishing, but a nice system.  Pity they didn't put any "engaging quests" in the first couple of zones though.  The first 10 levels have some of the most yawn-inducing quests I've ever seen in any MMO, and I'm not about to throw more money or more time at the game to see if it gets any better.

I hear where you're coming from, but its not like we have many great choices on the market right now. So you don't like finding boxes for a little girl. That's fine, but the alternative is what? More repetitive WoW raids? Another repetitive WAR scenario? Watching American Idol? Cleaning out the garage? If you're single then yeah, chase tail, but I'm happily married to a sweet little Thai gamer girl that wants nothing more than to play another MMOG with me.

Most other MMOG's these days offer nothing at all that is new. At least nothing that makes me play them differently. For example, LotRO plays exactly like WoW which plays exactly like Runes of Magic which plays exactly like WAR. I've been playing that style of MMOG since the early Everquest beta test over 10 years ago!

At least Spellborn, even with all its warts, plays like something new. Its far from perfect. Its definitely not the kind of game that will have much replayability or a big end game to bang my head against. But for now, until I have completed it, I just can't imagine what else there is to do that might be more entertaining.

So I see all these people that are being all snotty with their high standards about where they will spend their hard earned money as if there is something out there that actually lives up to these lofty standards. Well if there is, I sure haven't found it and when you do, please share. Until then, I'll be in Spellborn enjoying myself.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Well, I had to try several times to successfully download the game. Eventually it happened.

I did the tutorial and though there was a nice look  and feel to the game the tutorial seemed a bit overly tedious as it seemed like it was geared toward people new to video games. Ok, not fun but no problem.

I enjoyed the character customization though I wish there was more to customizing the character's actual face and hair.

I then get into the game I am asked to go to some towers to visit guards and get their reports, open up my map but it was hard to read and I had (for some reason) difficulties zooming out then zooming back in.

I got to the first tower and read the quest stuff and just lost all energy.

I'm sorry but I just did. The idea of doing more fed ex missons just took it out of me. So that was it.

I have to say that the world looks nice and the music and concept is nice but I just couldn't give the game a fair shot (yes, that is correct, I didnt' give it a fair shot).

So I took it off my hard drive and turned to back to my other games.

I don't know, I feel silly for saying it but I just couldn't do it again. I guess I'm sort of tired of running around trying to find things for fed ex quests. If the map doesn't help I suppose I could have explored but I really just ran out of energy.

so there it is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, I had to try several times to successfully download the game. Eventually it happened.

I did the tutorial and though there was a nice look  and feel to the game the tutorial seemed a bit overly tedious as it seemed like it was geared toward people new to video games. Ok, not fun but no problem.

I enjoyed the character customization though I wish there was more to customizing the character's actual face and hair.

I then get into the game I am asked to go to some towers to visit guards and get their reports, open up my map but it was hard to read and I had (for some reason) difficulties zooming out then zooming back in.

I got to the first tower and read the quest stuff and just lost all energy.

I'm sorry but I just did. The idea of doing more fed ex missons just took it out of me. So that was it.

I have to say that the world looks nice and the music and concept is nice but I just couldn't give the game a fair shot (yes, that is correct, I didnt' give it a fair shot).

So I took it off my hard drive and turned to back to my other games.

I don't know, I feel silly for saying it but I just couldn't do it again. I guess I'm sort of tired of running around trying to find things for fed ex quests. If the map doesn't help I suppose I could have explored but I really just ran out of energy.

so there it is.

fair enough

MMO players will almost always reach that 'oh no, not again' sensation at some point.

Suffice to say, for me the combat is what makes this game, plus - oddly enough - I enjoy the quest texts. And some of the quests are quite fun. (while others are the usual irritating fedex fare) While the game shares a lot with other MMOs, the progression, the concept of the skill deck, the real time targeting, the ability to dodge around and use terrain advantage - all of this feel fresh and fun to me. Plus my toon does back flips.

The combat, the potential of a fun economy - but without the gear grind - the chance to pvp all over the place all made it a good combo imo.

We'll see if it works out, but i hope so... The concept of pvp between 'houses' could be what drives endgame, if it is ever properly developed

• PRlNCEPRlNCE Member Posts: 15

even the official game forums are talking about the ghost town...

http://phpbb.acclaim.com/spellborn/viewtopic.php?t=4021&highlight=

Acclaim should of stuck to F2P!

• CortechsCortechs Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by markyturnip

fair enough
    MMO players will almost always reach that 'oh no, not again' sensation at some point.
    Suffice to say, for me the combat is what makes this game, plus - oddly enough - I enjoy the quest texts. And some of the quests are quite fun. (while others are the usual irritating fedex fare) While the game shares a lot with other MMOs, the progression, the concept of the skill deck, the real time targeting, the ability to dodge around and use terrain advantage - all of this feel fresh and fun to me. Plus my toon does back flips.
    The combat, the potential of a fun economy - but without the gear grind - the chance to pvp all over the place all made it a good combo imo.
    We'll see if it works out, but i hope so... The concept of pvp between 'houses' could be what drives endgame, if it is ever properly developed

Yes, that sad part about this game is that they have done so very much right, but most people get turned off too early.  They don't get to experience the wonderful skill/combat system or appreciate how gear is handled.

This game oozes personalization from the gear looks to the class builds.  It allows someone to constantly tweak their combat style to not only find styles crafted to their personal style, but to have multiple styles available by simply tweaking their current build.  All of those other MMOs have such canned combat and abilities, and it has been one of my major complaints since Everquest I.  In fact, this phenomenon has been getting *worse* instead of better.  EQ1 allowed much more stylized combat than WoW/WAR.  Casters were not just bolt, bolt, nuke, nuke, loot like they are these days.  Combat is getting worse (exceptions for CoX) and more canned every generation.

Additionally, the exclusion of breadcrumb quests really has a positive effect on the community.  This is really the first time since EQ that I saw people talking and helping each other in chat, instead of just following glowing trails and highlights on the mini-map.  While I agree many of the quests are annoying fetch or kill X quests, there are some really good ones like the House quests.  Addtionally, the PeP system really makes grinding much less, well, grindy.  With the combat system and PeP component I actually don't *mind* grinding.  Which, for me, is pretty amazing.

I believe that is one reason players hate grinding so much in WoW/WAR.  If their combat systems were more involved, flexible, and fun, players wouldn't mind using it.  Instead, they only like the combat when it involves special encouters, cause that is the only time the players get to do more than the canned nuke, nuke approach.

Here we finally have a game that is well made, allows your caster to look and wield the weapons you want, but the majority of players do not see that.  The game is rough around the edges for sure, but much less so than most games without movie production budgets.

If players would support this game I'm sure it would become one of the more popular MMOs out today.  Sadly, I don't think it is going to happen.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

The game is bound to go down the Tabula Rasa route. This is a damn shame, because the game itself is very well done.

The problem is that it's getting handled by amateurs and incompetents. Also Frogster doesn't give a damn about TCOS, because they are too busy dealing with their Runes Of Magic scam.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972
    Originally posted by VoIgore

The game is bound to go down the Tabula Rasa route. This is a damn shame, because the game itself is very well done.
    The problem is that it's getting handled by amateurs and incompetents. Also Frogster doesn't give a damn about TCOS, because they are too busy dealing with their Runes Of Magic scam.

Runes of Magic scam?

And, I had high hopes for CoS, but it sure doesn't sound like this game was  able to live up to them.

Originally posted by BlackWatch 
    Runes of Magic scam?

Refering to the item shop.

• hongkong82hongkong82 Member Posts: 7

what players muh  haha

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659

The game is bound to go down the Tabula Rasa route.

To me the Tabula Rasa route is the route of an over-hyped game. People subscribed with high expectations and left disappointed. Spellborn can already not go that route because it never was overhyped. Spellborn's problem is the opposite of Tabula Rasa. Hardly anyone knows of its existance (with the exception of visitors to this site perhaps). It seems like subscription numbers are slowly rising, but it is difficult to know for sure.

--
    Delanor

Originally posted by Delanor

The game is bound to go down the Tabula Rasa route.

To me the Tabula Rasa route is the route of an over-hyped game. People subscribed with high expectations and left disappointed. Spellborn can already not go that route because it never was overhyped. Spellborn's problem is the opposite of Tabula Rasa. Hardly anyone knows of its existance (with the exception of visitors to this site perhaps). It seems like subscription numbers are slowly rising, but it is difficult to know for sure.

Yes, looking at it this way you are of course right. By "Tabula Rasa-route" i simply meant that it is going to get shut down pretty soon. Shame anyway.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Yes, looking at it this way you are of course right. By "Tabula Rasa-route" i simply meant that it is going to get shut down pretty soon. Shame anyway.

Considering that there are a LOT of subscription based games that do not shut down even with a low sub rate, I doubt it will be another Tabula Rasa. There were some special circumstances related to TR that don't apply to TCoS. If TCoS were a AAA game from a well known studio being published by big name publisher and then had poor sub rates, then we might worry, but its a small developer and a low end publisher. The operating costs are probably a fraction of what TR's were.

But in hindsight, SiL really should have put more work into the crafting system, mounts, and added the house PvP long before release. Counting on the combat system and deep lore as their only tricks probably wasn't the best idea.

• SpatterCatSpatterCat Member UncommonPosts: 80

I really liked this game... had been looking forward to it and following its development. Was thrilled when I played, and wasn't disappointed. Formed a guild, brought some buddies from another game, and gave it a go through level 25 or so. Really, really enjoyed the Citadel of Ail, especially after Ringfell.

Then, I didn't care to log on anymore. The fed ex questing killed this game for me.

They expect you to maintain a high level of PeP so that you don't mind running, is all I can assume. Mounts, however, would have gone a long way.  At times it's just flat out ridiculous. Get the next part of the chain, get on a ship to sail to another shard, cross a zone or two, and get sent straight back as the next part? No thanks. And yeah, maybe I could have waited to be back in Hearthwood anyway, but come on... I was deep in the particular chain, and wanted to see it through. Ok, trudge trudge trudge...

I'd always intended TCoS to be the game I played for PvP, and if the arena gets straightened out, maybe I will. Game needs a lot of work to make leveling fun, though. Some of the more interesting areas require you to go pretty deep, and knowing that you're going to have to fight your way out, doubling the time you spent on one quest is pretty daunting. Give a place like the underground caverns a reason to go in there, maybe, but there aren't even bosses anywhere. Just boars, and birds, and bandits.

Speed up the travel time, and maybe it will be worthwhile again.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by SpatterCat

I really liked this game... had been looking forward to it and following its development. Was thrilled when I played, and wasn't disappointed. Formed a guild, brought some buddies from another game, and gave it a go through level 25 or so. Really, really enjoyed the Citadel of Ail, especially after Ringfell.
    Then, I didn't care to log on anymore. The fed ex questing killed this game for me.
    They expect you to maintain a high level of PeP so that you don't mind running, is all I can assume. Mounts, however, would have gone a long way.  At times it's just flat out ridiculous. Get the next part of the chain, get on a ship to sail to another shard, cross a zone or two, and get sent straight back as the next part? No thanks. And yeah, maybe I could have waited to be back in Hearthwood anyway, but come on... I was deep in the particular chain, and wanted to see it through. Ok, trudge trudge trudge...
    I'd always intended TCoS to be the game I played for PvP, and if the arena gets straightened out, maybe I will. Game needs a lot of work to make leveling fun, though. Some of the more interesting areas require you to go pretty deep, and knowing that you're going to have to fight your way out, doubling the time you spent on one quest is pretty daunting. Give a place like the underground caverns a reason to go in there, maybe, but there aren't even bosses anywhere. Just boars, and birds, and bandits.
    Speed up the travel time, and maybe it will be worthwhile again.

I'm level 35 a barely run into fed-ex quest. The amount of time it takes to finish quests in this game is a breeze. Have you killed any menaces yet? Those are considered outdoor bosses. Not sure what you mean by that but this isn't some heavy raid content type of game. There is more to PvP then the arena, you might want to try going for the chest once in awhile. Also what is Hearthwood? I take it you mean Hearth. Yeah you might have to spend more than one minute to travel, but I don't really see it as an issue. THe only issue's I see in this game are the lack of wanting to group and some issues with quest's not related to travel.

• SpatterCatSpatterCat Member UncommonPosts: 80

Maybe I should have phrased it thusly: For myself, and for the dozen or so folks that I had in the guild at one point, it was all about the slow travel time. Running from here to there, to turn in quests, only to be told to then go run somewhere else. But hey, I'll bite... if it's not the slow travel time, what do YOU think is causing folks to lose interest?

• MighteliteMightelite Member Posts: 9

Theoretically they are working on mounts... at least a GM said it. Hope it will be soon :)!

Anyway the most worrying thing in this game isn't the traveling time or the low population. For me the principal problem is the IP-zone redirection, casue EU players are splitted on Acclaim or Mindscape servers.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

"Where are the players?"

In other games, that's where.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Level 33 and can't be bothered to log in anymore, kinda strange because I was charging through the content and having a blast. I enjoyed the PvE and combat system, but I guess you can only do so much before you get bored considering the PvP is completely pointless and poorly implemented (not to mention crafting).

And as a poster mentioned before, the fed-ex quests are rather tiring, one more reason why I can't bring myself to log in. Also as the thread title says, there is fuck all people around to play with

O_o o_O

• Saam1Saam1 Member UncommonPosts: 21

I gotta agree "where are the players!!" and now the reasons of it (only my opinion)

- Shitty first 15 levels. (It was really hard decision to subscribe , tho i dont regret it) 

- Lack of players ( snowball effect, ppl login and see no players around they thing it sucks and quit for good)

- Lack of group playing (yea, its funnier in group, but no other excuse for grouping)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I loved the game as a single play through mmorpg, had a blast seeing what I saw the first time, but there isnt any replay value for me personally. This game is a blast for 1-2 months, but then starts to wear thin.

This game has a great look, and great systems, and is a LOT of fun, but it needed a lot more content (in every area) before it launched.

I will probably look back in a few months and see what they are up to. Until then, I'm back in Vanguard (havent played since launch) and loving it.

Thats the problem with this genre foe devs... if your building a strictly themepark game  (where content is king) then you need to have stacks of content to retain players in the longterm. If not there are plenty of options out there to distract them to.

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837
    Originally posted by Bigdavo

Level 33 and can't be bothered to log in anymore, kinda strange because I was charging through the content and having a blast. I enjoyed the PvE and combat system, but I guess you can only do so much before you get bored considering the PvP is completely pointless and poorly implemented (not to mention crafting).
    And as a poster mentioned before, the fed-ex quests are rather tiring, one more reason why I can't bring myself to log in. Also as the thread title says, there is fuck all people around to play with

Level 27 and that's what happened to me - charged through, was loving it - but the emptiness of players got to me, and the final straw was exarchyon - a brutal place solo, but impossible to find a group for. In fact, ut's nigh on impossible to find a group for anything.

They seriously need to work on the inter house pvp side of things if they want to keep players in game, imo.

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

I downloaded and started playing today. I'd probably noticed it on the game lists before now but compared to WAR and AoC (both of which i played) this game just slipped under the radar in release. No wonder there are so few players, no one knows it exists. It has to have been the quietest launch in history. To be honest i've enjoyed the first few levels, yes there are the usual delivery boy quests and kill ten boars etc... but all mmos are the same. I'm playing it on the highest settings and it looks really great, the music is excellent and vocal emotes are a great idea. The combat system is very interesting and fun to use, switching between skills while aiming the reticle, however i found myself spending all my time watching the hotbar instead of watching the combat. It's feels more intuitive than the combat system of most other games, and even better than AoC combat (which i love) but a combat system that makes you pay more attention to the interface than the game world dimishes immersion (a big nono for me in any mmo). One thing i did like about this game was that not everything was pointed out and flagged up to me, i had to think about what i was doing a bit. Every mmo now has all the icons above the quest givers etc... and even LOTRO has now introduced arrows and shaders on the minimap so it's impossible to not find quest targets. Most (all?) mmorpgs are so dumbed down thesedays they can be played by a 12 year old with half a brain (my five year old son plays LOTRO). I'm probably wrong, i haven't played that much of it, but at least CoS seems a bit more intelligent and difficult than most. It's about there was an mmo that matched the skill required to play UO or the early EQ (before Planes of Power made it too easy). Like most on here i've seen so many botched promises, Horizons, Asheron's Call II, Tabula Rasa, AoC etc...maybe i'm hoping against hope this is the one. Maybe not. What a shame. I'll play on though and see what happens.