Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have never watched a star wars movie in my life

Should i still bother playing this game?

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

The more important advise would be: watch Star Wars! Heh ^^

Seriously, I dont think you have to have watched it. But it doesnt hurt either; there still is plenty of time. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

if you want, i know a friend who can operate a crane to lift that rock you have been living under off of you.

somehow i do not believe that you have NEVER seen a star wars movie, seeing as it's constantly on television, and all over the media.

• rellorello Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Katilla

if you want, i know a friend who can operate a crane to lift that rock you have been living under off of you.

somehow i do not believe that you have NEVER seen a star wars movie, seeing as it's constantly on television, and all over the media.

Its a true story , id find it on tv and be like screw it i havent even seen the first movie.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

WATCH IT!

"torrent block buster" is there to help =D

and remember... 4..5..6..1..2..3 =D

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Holy crap!

You could play it, and probably enjoy it, but I wouldn't enjoy playing with you. Quick fix, go watch SW.

And yes, gotta echo that, 4,5,6, then 1,2,3. Or just 4,5, and 6.

• BeanchillaBeanchilla Member Posts: 260

a friend of mine hasnt seen it and hates it anyway,
    i know its no longer cool to like star wars, but hey star wars is still cool so there ya go.

Just another handsome boy graduate...

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by JigsawJesus

a friend of mine hasnt seen it and hates it anyway,

i know its no longer cool to like star wars, but hey star wars is still cool so there ya go.

When has it ever been cool to like SW?

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    Originally posted by rello

i think you have plenty of time to watch the movies until the game releases.

if you are not interested in the movies, i suggest reading the history about sw:tor setting on their official site.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Star Wars was the first movie my parents took me to in a theater.  Yah, I'm old.

The game will be awesome regardless of your experience with Star Wars, so you don't need to see it to enjoy the game.

That being said, go watch the movies.  right now. 

• DeadeXDeadeX Member Posts: 170

The Star Wars movies are epic, the older ones were so ahead of it's time in terms of technology etc. Movies released 15 years later + has crappier and more fake looking effects. I was amazed when i re-watched the old series, i can higly recommend it :P

• zeus3715zeus3715 Member UncommonPosts: 27

------Back onto original topic------

Q)  Should you bother playing if you havent seen the movies?

A)  Yes, you should.

Reasons

------------------------

1- This game is based thousands of years before the movies, the movies are in the future star wars universe the game however is way in the past.

2- The time that they are making this game in has never been done before, the movies only tell you what kind of things are in star wars and the feel for it. The game has many, many never before seen things ,so you dont need to watch the movies to understand since you will start anew and learn as you go,

3- The majority of this game was never covered in the movies, it was mentioned but not covered and talked about in great detail.

( meaning they never discussed stuff like the great war, mandolorians, ancient sith, etc.)

-------------------------

Things you should watch./play if you want to understand this game.

Star Wars knights of the old republic

Star Wars knights of the old republic II

The storyline vids on the SW:ToL site.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Holy crap!
    You could play it, and probably enjoy it, but I wouldn't enjoy playing with you. Quick fix, go watch SW.
    And yes, gotta echo that, 4,5,6, then 1,2,3. Or just 4,5, and 6.

And for anyone who's in for something different, I'd recommend trying: 3 and then 5... And then leave it at that. Interesting flow of story there :)

(well, only semi-joking)

As for the OP question: 

Ideally, a well designed IP-based game would not require that you are familiar with the IP at all, while still managing to boost your enjoyment if you are. And as of now we have insufficient data to decide for ourselves whether the TOR MMO will be a well-designed game or not.  

• VerkainVerkain Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by rello

Yes.

I think you might even get more enjoyment out of it than if you were expert on Star Wars lore since you will have little to no preconcieved notions on how things should be.

Take Lord of the Rings Online for example, someone fresh to the IP may totally get into the world and story whereas someone who has read the books may find fault in how the world looks/is.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

KOTOR is a good game for anyone, and since this MMO is based on it, it will likely be a good game regardless of whether you've seen the movies or not.

However, you really should go watch the movies. You don't even know what people are talking about when they reference certain things in real life. Star Wars has heavily impacted pop culture.

Its not like its that hard to watch it. Personally, I recommend watching the original three Star Wars first because they are just so much better than the prequals.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

If the OP likes MMOS, then he/she could try the ones he/she finds interesting. No matter what IP its based on.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Wow. Two in two days. Yesterday a friend of mine said he had never seen the Godfather. How can you make it to your thirties without seeing some of the biggest movies of all time like Star Wars and the Godfather?

My advice, go see them or you're cheating yourself of a great movie experience.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by madeux

Star Wars was the first movie my parents took me to in a theater.  Yah, I'm old.
    The game will be awesome regardless of your experience with Star Wars, so you don't need to see it to enjoy the game.
    That being said, go watch the movies.  right now. 

I was 10 when it came out. It was mind blowing.

People forget (or weren't born ; )  ) how truly different Star Wars was when compared to what else was out before it. When my brother and I first saw the coming attractions it was like the veil of reality was pulled back and we were seeing for the first time...

which of course prompted us to run to our mother and beg to see it.

When you look at space sagas or any science fiction there really was nothing out comparable. We are so jaded today ; )

edit: as far as the op... OP, who knows if you should play it. It's not done yet. could be good or bad. But do what other people have said and actually watch the movies.

Watch the first two. The original Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back.

After that it's sort of hit or miss in my opinion.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Wow. Two in two days. Yesterday a friend of mine said he had never seen the Godfather. How can you make it to your thirties without seeing some of the biggest movies of all time like Star Wars and the Godfather?

My advice, go see them or you're cheating yourself of a great movie experience.

LOL, I'm in my 50's and have yet to really watch the Godfather.  Sure, I've watched bits and pieces and it always bored me, but then again I'm not a fan of gangster lore.  (however Goodfellas is my favorite of the genre)

But Start Wars, long time fan, saw the first movie when i was still in college, and thought...this is pretty silly. (though the effects were way cool).

Wasn't until the Empire Strikes back that I really fell in love with the IP and still enjoy it today.

I'd recommend the OP watch the movies, just to get caught up, and sure, if he has time, play one of the KOTOR games as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Now that I think about it, the best thing for the OP to do is read the first Darth Bane novel because it describes this era in good detail. You learn about the world with the sith and jedi armies before Darth Bane established the rule of two. Also the first Knights of the Old Republic game gives good insight. If you enjoy playing that then you are more likely to enjoy playing this MMO when it comes out.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

TOR takes place 3000+ years before any of the Star Wars movies, so you won't be lost not ever seeing any of the movies.  I'd still recommend watching them, but then again I'm a sci-fi geek.  The classes in the game will be based off the more popular characters, so it may make picking a class a little easier, or you might just try them all and then decide.

If I could wipe my memory of Star Wars movies, I'd like to watch them in episode order.  I just generally don't like prequels because you already know what's coming.

Obviously, episodes 1,2,3 have way better special effects than episodes 4,5,6, but for the most part episodes 4,5,6 are better movies.

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

If you've never seen the movies, and probably know nothing of the universe, why would you want to spend the money to play the game in the first place?

I guess you can just look at the features as a normal game, since it has a fairly independent storyline from the other media, you should be fine with that. But you may not the tone of the universe as whole, just take the time to watch all 6 movies and play the first KOTOR, at least. That should give you a good idea of the feel of the universe, across all timelines.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I find it mind-boggling that anyone hasn't seen Star Wars... but my teenage niece and nephew told me the same thing just the other day. 

Do yourself a huge favor and go watch the movies. Start at the original series and then watch the new ones. You won't be disappointed (at least with the original series).

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

I don't know what my childhood would've been like without Star Wars.  I think I was 4-5 when I saw the first one... at a Drive-In movie theatre, no less.  The other 2 came out while I was in grade school.  They were a huge part of my life... a big topic of discussion for my friends and I over those elementary years.

The movies are great... especially if you are a kid.  I did enjoy episodes I-III as an adult, but found myself wishing they were more grown up... darker, and with deeper stories.  I developed a hatred for Jar Jar Binks, young Anakin Skywalker's crapstatic dialogue/acting, and the fact that Darth Maul dies in Ep I (spoiler, wah).  Outside of that... I was just happy that there were new Star Wars movies being put out.  I was happy that GL decided to unleash a little more, and I obviously wish he'd turn over the franchise to someone else so they could continue.