Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying the trial so far...

McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Ok finally finished DL'ing the trial the other day and have been trying it out the past couple days so far. The graphics & gore are really great if not a bit much for my PC which is odd considering I can run most other mmo's on high settings but can barely run AoC on medium so far. I also like the combo system, yeah its not the best but no mmo is perfect and you can pick adjustments for any mmo's combat system.

The world environment reminds me alot of the conan comics and novels which is good to see. I imagine half of the community never read any of them since that is one of the only few problems I have with the game. The first problem I have is the server continuously has lag spikes about every hour or so where I get locked up for about 10-15 seconds which usualy results in my character dieing. Many in the in-game chat channels suggested it was my PC but like I told them, I know it isn't the case.

I have been playing mmo's for several years and the only times those spikes happen is from db issues from the server, not my ISP or my PC. I run 2 PC's on the same connection and when it happens my other PC is always running net radio stations. If it was a ISP or connection problem on my end my other PC would have the same hiccup but it doesnt. If it were my PC I would have similar problems on other mmo's which I never have. So, the fanboi's in in-game chat need to quit making excuses. I like the game so far but if an mmo has problems you have to be honest, not make excuses.

I read that FC supposedly had created a penalty system for ganking lowbies but that obviously isn't the case because I have came across constant ganking by higher lvl players with nothing better to do than gank lowbies and newbies. They don't care that the subscription numbers are dangerously low for AoC and their harassment doesn't help the game in the least for starters. There needs to be a penalty con system for pvp because attacking an enemy that can't hurt your character in the least is beyond rediculous. I like pvp but it has to be scaled accordingly or the mmo becomes just some trigger happy brainless game that any chimp with a controller strapped to his hand can play.

The other issue I have is the in-game community like many others have posted here on the forums about. Hardly anyone ever talks and when they do they only answer questions in the trial channel about half the time at best. So far I came across only one person outside chat that would speak face to face. Every other time, players are only running to and from zones without any local chat. In the pvp areas its worse with constant ganking and killing without any rhyme or reason. Especially on the rp-pvp servers which is ironic because it seems no player on any game on an rp-pvp server knows how to rp.

Overall its a hard decision to subscribe or not because the game has alot of feel like the comics and movies I used to enjoy which I like, but the bad community, server and pvp issues make it difficult to decide.

Comments

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

how can you expect to have ppl constantly answering in tortage which is 1-20 lvl zone, after you done it ur gone.. you can come back.. but for what.. either ganking , or answer your questions? there is actually no real questions to be answered, first 20 lvls are easy, and hand held, game mechanics can be learned after lvl 20 when you enter open world

its same if i create new char in lets say wow nelf zone, and then i complain that this 11 mln game doesnt have ppl answering my questions, in zone that takes half day to complete..

same here..

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Normally I can see your point but for example in EQ2 there are a ton of veteran players who start over new characters in the newbie areas and use those channels to look for new recruits or to advertise for their higher lvl characters lfg, etc in case other high lvl players are doing the same thing they are.

I stated my opinion for a reason. How exactly would a new player know that others in higher lvl areas can't checkmark the channel option to listen to that channel like in other mmo's. Seriously, think a bit before trying to condemn a thread.

Just because a game may/may not be easy for some doesn't mean a new player won't have other questions about the game. Don't automaticly think the player is lacking in skills just because they have questions to ask.

• partynikkopartynikko Member Posts: 55

I don't know why you picked a PvP server to start on as PvE is much, much better.

As for questions, non-talking channels etc..Since you are trial, you are not allowed to chat in global. Global is MUCHHHH more active. It gets spammed 24/7 full of WTS, WTB, questions and LFG. Trial isn't active because the game is pretty straight forward and is usually only used for chit chatting between trial users. Getting out of Tortage is easy but if you have any questions about the game that is unanswered  I would love to help

Actually I tried a RP-PVP server to see if AoC suffers from the same problem WoW does and it appears so, lol. Like I said earlier neither servers from either mmo seem to know how to add rp to their pvp. That being said, I don't know why the devs even bother making the server type.

As far as info about the game goes I appreciate it. I was wondering if guild cities are still in the game as a feature as well as battlekeeps which I read about on some other sites. I also read they aren't used very much because most players are too worried about loot whatever that means. If there is an option to create a player city why not use it, I would but that's me.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

My advice is to run 20 levels on a PvE server first so you get the game going good.

People tend to be generally friendlier there and more helpful, not really sure why. And once you gets the feel for the game you can decide if you want to keep playing it or not. It should take you 8-10 hours of play.

The game have both advantages and bad points as most games. On the plus side is the graphics nice and the collision detection when you swing a sword is the best in the genre.

On the bad side, the game gets kinda grindy after lvl 70 and the endgame could be a lot more.

As for the penalty, you only gets it for killing people who is a few levels under you. People with red names do that, avoid them unless you can beat them.

And the best thing is always to join a guild fast, they will help you out. You might not be able to in the trial however.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Czanrei

Actually I tried a RP-PVP server to see if AoC suffers from the same problem WoW does and it appears so, lol. Like I said earlier neither servers from either mmo seem to know how to add rp to their pvp. That being said, I don't know why the devs even bother making the server type.
    As far as info about the game goes I appreciate it. I was wondering if guild cities are still in the game as a feature as well as battlekeeps which I read about on some other sites. I also read they aren't used very much because most players are too worried about loot whatever that means. If there is an option to create a player city why not use it, I would but that's me.

It is the same in all games, few people both RPs and play on PvP servers.

As for the battlekeeps, they are for PvP use only but you need a maxed out guild city to build one. The guild city in itself is very helpful and gives bonuses and makes crafting a lot easier, you can't craft much of the good stuff without a building in there.

Thanks so Battlekeeps are only on pvp servers?

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Ok finally finished DL'ing the trial the other day and have been trying it out the past couple days so far. The graphics & gore are really great if not a bit much for my PC which is odd considering I can run most other mmo's on high settings but can barely run AoC on medium so far. I also like the combo system, yeah its not the best but no mmo is perfect and you can pick adjustments for any mmo's combat system.
    The world environment reminds me alot of the conan comics and novels which is good to see. I imagine half of the community never read any of them since that is one of the only few problems I have with the game. The first problem I have is the server continuously has lag spikes about every hour or so where I get locked up for about 10-15 seconds which usualy results in my character dieing. Many in the in-game chat channels suggested it was my PC but like I told them, I know it isn't the case.
    I have been playing mmo's for several years and the only times those spikes happen is from db issues from the server, not my ISP or my PC. I run 2 PC's on the same connection and when it happens my other PC is always running net radio stations. If it was a ISP or connection problem on my end my other PC would have the same hiccup but it doesnt. If it were my PC I would have similar problems on other mmo's which I never have. So, the fanboi's in in-game chat need to quit making excuses. I like the game so far but if an mmo has problems you have to be honest, not make excuses.
     I read that FC supposedly had created a penalty system for ganking lowbies but that obviously isn't the case because I have came across constant ganking by higher lvl players with nothing better to do than gank lowbies and newbies. They don't care that the subscription numbers are dangerously low for AoC and their harassment doesn't help the game in the least for starters. There needs to be a penalty con system for pvp because attacking an enemy that can't hurt your character in the least is beyond rediculous. I like pvp but it has to be scaled accordingly or the mmo becomes just some trigger happy brainless game that any chimp with a controller strapped to his hand can play.
    The other issue I have is the in-game community like many others have posted here on the forums about. Hardly anyone ever talks and when they do they only answer questions in the trial channel about half the time at best. So far I came across only one person outside chat that would speak face to face. Every other time, players are only running to and from zones without any local chat. In the pvp areas its worse with constant ganking and killing without any rhyme or reason. Especially on the rp-pvp servers which is ironic because it seems no player on any game on an rp-pvp server knows how to rp.
    Overall its a hard decision to subscribe or not because the game has alot of feel like the comics and movies I used to enjoy which I like, but the bad community, server and pvp issues make it difficult to decide.

If your complaining about in game community your simply on the wrong server, the community is everywhere and its rarely dead in global chat ( cant speak about trial chat anymore but they do seperate trial and paying players in chat)

This isnt the first complaint ive seen about a player complaining about rampant ganking, why the hell are you on the pvp servers if you dont want to get ganked?  Pretty sure FC allows you to transfer characters to other servers for a real money fee, if you want to gank the lowbies and grief but dont want to level on the pvp server ( can dish it out but cant take it).

get off the pvp server, hop on to wiccan server, no griefers and i see a lot of rp guilds advertising. 

• krityckrityc Member UncommonPosts: 175

I played the game at launch and really wanted to like the game.  I recently downloaded the trial to learn I'm not going to see much change without a higher level character.   I wish FC would do like Mythic and allow past players to reactivate for a free 10days to test the state of the game because the trial doesn't give a good feel.  I really want to like this game and fire my account back  up, but I worry it'll be more of the same.  Poor PvE encounters, lacking pvp system, and weak crafting.

[(T+G=W)=Gr*Nf]-S=FoF
    T=Time G=Gear W=Win Gr=Grind Nf=NoFun S=Skill FoF=FullofFail

"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's azz by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?" - Tommy Boy

Originally posted by crunchyblack

If your complaining about in game community your simply on the wrong server, the community is everywhere and its rarely dead in global chat ( cant speak about trial chat anymore but they do seperate trial and paying players in chat)

This isnt the first complaint ive seen about a player complaining about rampant ganking, why the hell are you on the pvp servers if you dont want to get ganked?  Pretty sure FC allows you to transfer characters to other servers for a real money fee, if you want to gank the lowbies and grief but dont want to level on the pvp server ( can dish it out but cant take it).

get off the pvp server, hop on to wiccan server, no griefers and i see a lot of rp guilds advertising. 

I appreciate your input about the servers and community. Nothing personal but I do like pvp and there are games that have good pvp systems that work against players who insist on ganking players half their level or more. I had hoped to see if AoC had a similar system but apparently not. I saw the transfer service but I won't spend money transfering a lowbie character when Im not sure yet if I will even subscribe past trial. That being said, I re-rolled a new character on a different server other than rp-pvp. I am willing to keep giving the game a chance until the trial expires.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

The common experience about level of PvP: (IMO)

High lvl : PvP Servers

Medium lvl: RP-PvP Servers

Low lvl: PVE Servers

First of all, choose what`s important to you, BUT...do remember this:

on my RP-PvP Server, its alot of pvp in lvls 8-25 and 70+

Between these levels its way way lower activity.

...and for the record; I don`t think I will ever roll on a PvP server, RP-PvP style is enough pvp for me and my guild.