Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATED... My GC was dead and I got a 9800GTX OC, but...

almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

I have a ATI 1650 and have never had any issues with it until today. My comp had already been on for awhile and went into sleep mode. When I went to go shut off my comp I wiggled the mouse to wake it up so I could see what I was doing. Unfortunately my screen stayed black. I shut the comp down by means I normally wouldn't do and started it back up to see if it was just a glitch. It was not and the monitor went to sleep mode immediately. I switch my wifes monitor with mine so I know it's not my monitor since it work fine on her comp.

Basically I was wondering if this meant I need to go get a new graphics card or is there a way to test my current one. I don't want to take my card and switch it with the wifes since I have a ATI and she has a Nvidea.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Comments

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Is everything else carrying on as normal during startup, bios beeps beeping when they should, hard drive light flickering away as it should and the windows startup sounds playing?  If the answer to all these is yes then the card is at fault because video is the only thing borked; If the answer is no however you need to look elsewhere for the fault.

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

Everything else seems to be doing what its suppose to. I'll double check it tomorrow with my old graphics card (if I can find it).

Thank you very much... Also any other suggestions would be great :)

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Might be heat.  Get a can of CO2 and blow out the dust.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

It could be the graphics card or the motherboard. Both can cause the problem. The only way to know for sure is to plug in a differrent card if you can.  You wont have to boot all the way into the OS though so having a diff brand card wont matter. If you see the boot screen or can jump into BIOS or just load into safemode the graphics drivers wont matter. Should take less than 10 minutes and will give you a clear answer as to what your next step is.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Cleffy

Might be heat.  Get a can of CO2 and blow out the dust.

Agreed, I had the same trouble with an older comp and similar GPU. It turned out that all the dust in the CPU fan had been causing it to overheat, the comp didn't shutdown at first. First the screen would just go dead, then later the comp would go into sleep mode. Do as cleffy said or get a small paint brush and a hoover set to suck, put the hoover on the cpu fan suck and loosen out the fluff with the brush. Especially the stuff on the heatsink behing the fan, after that you should be up and running again.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

I first would like to say thank you for all the responses.

I'm pretty good about constantly blowing dust off of anything in my comp so I doubt it's heat. It's a good possibility that it could either be the motherboard or the graphics card. I hope it the graphics card though since I wasn't planning for a new comp until next year lol.

Once I get back home this afternoon I will be searching for my old card... I will keep everyone updated.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

It could almost be any component in your computer causing this(Mobo, PCI cards, RAM, GPU, PSU, bad cables, shit even the CPU in very rare events), though as of now it would seem likely to be the GPU - Though that's not saying it is for sure.

Does the buzzer say any sounds? 

Try reseating components and ensure all cables are connected properly.

Otherwise trying switching with other components is a good way of trouble shooting.

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133

Try this.

Take your wifes display AND DVI / VGA cable and hook it up to your computer....Could be a bad cable?

If no luck still:

Pull the GFX card from it's slot and clean the contacts with a  pencils eracer (clean eracer) . Rub the eracer lightly (with the grain) across the contacts on both sides of the card that slide in the slot of the MB. Use light to aid you in getting them clean. After that ....blow out the slot in the MB. Also you can use a flat toothpic dipped in rubbing Alcohol and clean the contacts in the mother boards slot.

Put it all back together and give it a go.   Good Luck. 

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

That card is old and outdated... I've had two of them. :)

Just toss it and head over to newegg.com and spend 50 bucks on a new card.  For that price you'll get 2-3 times the performance.

*Update*

Well the wife and I went to Bestbuy (since I have a gift card coming and they have sweet financing offers) and bought 2 Nvidea 9800gtx OC. They were on clearance so we got them for $80 off each. We got hers in just fine and loaded but I couldn't fit the GC in my comp. My motherboard set up has the power attachment in the way... BY A 1/4 INCH!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

So I have to find a card just a touch smaller *growl* Or I can always use her old one since I tried hers in my comp just to make sure it was the GC and not the motherboard.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Originally posted by almerel

*Update*
    Well the wife and I went to Bestbuy (since I have a gift card coming and they have sweet financing offers) and bought 2 Nvidea 9800gtx OC. They were on clearance so we got them for $80 off each. We got hers in just fine and loaded but I couldn't fit the GC in my comp. My motherboard set up has the power attachment in the way... BY A 1/4 INCH!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    So I have to find a card just a touch smaller *growl* Or I can always use her old one since I tried hers in my comp just to make sure it was the GC and not the motherboard.

Try the GTS 250(NEW VERSON)... Of an updated and overclocked.9800 GTX  They are shorter than the older cards and less power usage and better cooling! Prolly going to cost you 50 bucks more for the 2....

The 250  (SLI) performs just as well as  2  (Box stock)GTX 260"s, With a little overclocking.!

And if you run 22" and lower display, This setup will last a good while. Its more than enough power for years of MMO's

Example: First person shooters...   Cod4 & 5  @ 1680x1050 (22" display) 140 to 180 FPS....@ 3840x 1024 ..AVG. 60 to 80 FPS...With 2x 9800 GTX maxed!

I run everything OCed, so minus (-) about 10 - 15% if you dont overclock.

Are you sure you cant bend the wires out of the way for the cards?  Bend them tight at the conection!!!! (unplug, bend, plug back in)  Because at that price, IT A STEAL!

I took back the 9800 gtx oc and got the 9800 gt oc. Its still a bit long but i was able to manuver it so it would fit. Not sure bending the back of the card a bit was the best way but it did get it in lol.

Also the GTX--- may only be $50 more but it'd be closer to $130 more from the current price. However, if my current setup doesn't survive that maybe the next step.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Originally posted by solareus

Awesome, hope everything works correctly !

Sure you do....