Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you create a free PlayOnline account?

CeldaCelda Member Posts: 12

I recently bought a sealed copy of FFXI on ebay which hasn't arrived yet. Someone posted saying you could install/create a free PlayOnline account.

"

Why did you cancel your Playonline subscription?

PlayOnline and FFXI are separate services. You install PlayOnline, which is free, then install FFXI, and you use PlayOnline to purchase IDs for FFXI -- those IDs are what cost money.

When you quit playing FFXI, all you needed to do was cancel your Content IDs -- THAT IS IT. Do not unsubscribe to PlayOnline -- the service is free, so there's no reason to. Hell, you can even uninstall Playonline, and your account, which again is free, is retained.

This is what happened to me:

Played FFXI from December '03 through January '04, and cancelled my FFXI Content IDs. I uninstalled PlayOnline but left the account intact, but since I had no IDs, I wasn't being charged any money.

I came back to play in April '04, two weeks after my 3 month time limit. My Content IDs were unable to be reactivated, and I had to start over. But because I didn't quit PlayOnline (since it's free), I was able to purchase new IDs.

Whether or not they *should* retain the account information is another story -- regardless, they don't after 90 days of cancellation, and that's explained in the manual.

It's not SE's fault that you didn't read all of the information supplied to you."

How do you do that?

Comments

• SeasonzSeasonz Member Posts: 113

just wait..
    play online launches FFXI, its like a steam... they may have a site were u can make a new accnt but I dont really think so.. plus u need a playonline cd-key for it i think.. if i remember it rite.. im to lazy to go look @ how many cd keys ther wer :P

FFXI ~~
    World: Remora
    Nation: San d'Oria
    Job: Warrior
    Job lvl: 4
    Race: Hume Male

====
    lol.
    ====

• knives22knives22 Member Posts: 375

my god....dear god..when will people learn. Do not buy games that require ceveral cd keys that come with it to subscribe off places like ebay!! you never know if the guy thats selling it opened it~!

• TaruboyTaruboy Member Posts: 84

Lol so true so true

---------------------------------------
    Sylph
    48mnk 38thf 36war 35sam 34whm
    30rdm 30blm 25bst

---------------------------------------

• Yeah i agree with the eBay thing, You cant get a game that uses a CD Key from eBay... And there are millions who try every day arent there?

• stsestse Member Posts: 34

The main recommendation is to never buy a game that game that requires a CD key at all from EBay. As Knives as stated, you never know if the person has actually opened it or not. they may say sealed or factory sealed, but really, what is preventing the seller from getter something tp mimic the factory seal and sell that to you right?

At the same time, you can tell because Ebay has a lot of sellers who just sell the CD key to games. So think about it. If you really want an authentic game with a cd key, might as well buy it new or buy it from someone you know. Nothing is worse that buying a game and finding out that your cdkey has been stolen by the seller. It hasn't happend to me, and I hope it doesn't happen to me.

It's not a bug in the software, it's a feature =).

• Cyris_LordCyris_Lord Member Posts: 101
    You can only create a free account when you buy a new edition of FFXI.

Kujata
    San d'Oria
    Level 8 Warrior
    Level 8 Red Mage

Brena (Alexander)
    San d'Oria

Level 52 Red Mage
    Level 44 Dragoon
    Level 40 Samurai