Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Silk Boycott: Why anyone who plays F2P games should support it

2»

Comments

• RamenThief7RamenThief7 Member Posts: 362

Although you do prove many points Crunchyblack, there are some things I wish to point out:

1. Most mmorpg games have mind numbing grinding. It becomes fun when you play with a group however. I have played for years on Silkroad Online, and I have met alot of interesting people on that game. The problem exists with the bots who overcrowd the servers now. If there were no bots, I think there would be way fewer complains about grinding on that game (until the level caps start reaching closer and closer to 150 and it starts becoming impossible to level up quickly without the usage of the item mall).

2. In all actuality, the real minimum that a legit player would ever have to pay is the silver premium for $15, so I don't think that this whole "spend $100 per month" idea applies to everyone. I know that there are some truly crazed fanatics that would spend hundreds (and in a few cases, thousands) of dollars on that game, but they are very few. Honestly, the only things I would get if I ever did buy again from the item mall is a silver premium and the occasional avatar suit that comes up that strikes me fancy (I would love the idea of wearing a pirate outfit). Of course, I'm avoiding the item mall until Joymax does something to solve the bot problem (or at the very least reduce crowdation somehow, like implementing the AFK boot or an auction house to get rid of AFK stalls, and Joymax takes steps to solving the bot problem too).

Silkroad Online does have problems of course. The game still feels like it was built for the lvl 70-80 caps (when the game was good and botless), and if Joymax doesn't take steps to solve this game's problems, Silkroad Online will devolve into a mindless grind fest with few real human players on it. They should raise exp. you get per enemy and lower sp you need to completely farm skills (or increase the amount of skill points you get). They need ways to get rid of AFKers that crowd servers (not as bad as bots, but it is a problem). Above all things, they need to get rid of bots.

You know what the bizarre thing is? As far as I know, Silkroad Online is the only Joymax controlled game that has a bot problem. The other Silkroad games out there (Chinese Silkroad, Turkish Silkroad, etc.) don't seem to have bot problems, and they have reported to have excellent support by GMs. I think what is happening right now is that Joymax sees Silkroad Online (also known as ISRO) as a lost cause, and they're trying to milk as much money possible before they completely abandon Silkroad Online to the bots. And many people from ISRO have jumped ship to the other Silkroads. But the problem is once ISRO dies out, Joymax is going to lose their ultimate cash cow. So, it's not hard to see another one of their games being infested by bots all of a sudden.

So here is where we break the cycle! I apologize for the fact that I have not created a boycott thread in an area where a mass majority would see it, but that original spot I saw ended up not being a good idea. So, until then, continue to rally here! Then, once I get a boycott forum running in an area visited by a mass majority, then the Silk boycott here will go into full effect...

Note: I have editted this post after reading more carefully of what I have typed. Here are new "aftermath" thoughts.

Someone has started a petition against Joymax. This petition, if it's successful, will prompt Joymax to either improve support and get rid of bots (and in general, all third party illegal programs) or face possible suing in the future. Although I wish it hadn't come to this point, I ask that you support this petitiion for the good of Silkroad Online.

Here is the site for the petition. I have checked it, and so far it seems legit.

www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/978723855

If you've supported the boycott all this time, then sign the petition!

Victory for the boycott is within view now...

• hootsmomhootsmom Member Posts: 19

http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/corpdata/ShowAllList?QueryCorpNumber=C2872817

this is the company information provided by the California Secretary of State/Business Division.

It is also the address for any legal mail and/or correpondence for JoyMax in the USA

• EpicWinEpicWin Member Posts: 9

The petition thing is a waste of time, there have already been several petitions, with enough signatures, and yet nothing happened.

There have also been people who tried to take legal action, and got nowhere. This is because joymax is based in Korea, and are not a civilized group of business people.

They do not even allow you to contact them, and if you somehow figure out how.. They won't give you a response unless your question is about how you can give them money.

My guess, they are racist and hate anyone who is non-korean.  Im not sure why they let the game be ruined.  but in my opinion it is way to late. I handgrinded to lvl 80 when that was the cap, listening to filth from the GM's like "keep up the good work"  "Bot users WILL be found and banned"  "Silk buying or not, famous or not, all cheaters will be banned, end of story"

I handgrinded to lvl 80 from lvl 1.  and im talking about before euros, and before powerleveling. And all i got was a "who cares?" once i made it there.

Im sorry but the creators/Gm's of this game are plain disrepectful to their best customers, real players.  Sure some botter might be spending a months rent on the game, but in the end they aren't making it better for other players.

This game used to be great.... USED TO.  Now with 5 hour long botting tickets, the removal of the protector item (not sure if nightbloom or any other joymax supporter who probably started this game last year can remember those... but they were items that actually KILLED bots, and were sold at the jewelry merchant in town!) Its obvious they want the people who are currently addicted to it, to spend as much money possible.

The tactics used by this company make me sick, they create a decent game, get some hardcore players addicted, then slowly add costly items which in my opinion we are forced to buy.  Sure nobody is holding a gun to your head.  but if you spend years of your life on something, you are mostly likely not going to want to see it be all for nothing when the alternative is 15, 20, 50 even 100$ a month.

Think about it, if you were a great player in a game, lets say a sport like football. and next year, to play is going to cost you 20$... sure you will. after all, you are a great player, and its a part of your life that you aren't willing to let go of. you trained all year, you are ready to show off... maybe the year after the cost is 50$.  chances are you will pay that as well.

I think our only choice is really a few options.

1. someone organizes a group of people to get on a plane, and fly over to Korea, go to joymax and demand some answers. Bring our own body gaurds as well in case joymax tries to force us out of the lobby of their headquarters or something. Perhaps they would even try and cause you harm.

2. A massive co-ordinated internet strike.  Attack first, goldbotting headquarters in turkey and china. Damage their servers, etc.

What can they do? call the police? FBI?  what they are doing is "illegal" according to joymax (even though we know they are working together)  so we are only fighting fire with fire on that. After damaging their computers and costing them time, perhaps we can force a shutdown.  They use slave labour, so they wont be willing to put much work into fighting back.

3.Create our own servers.  Yes ive heard of the terrible private servers out there.  But myself, im a very honest and fair person. Maybe moreso than anyone else who has played this game as long as i have.  I think i know what it would take to bring a balance to the game and provide a nice gaming environment, without modifying the games content from how the old gamers remember it.

Our servers would be operating "illegally"  but it doesnt matter since joymax themselves are a fraudulent company.  Perhaps we could use proxies or something to hide out server location.

My server would have absolutely no botting, with no exceptions.  Id have a raised EXP event often, and higher droprates too.

The rules wouldnt be terribly strict. Just enough to make the gameplay something people look forward too. I wouldnt sell GM status, or seal of sun items.  In fact, my server would be entirely free to play, and run off of donations or something similar so that the average poor person could still reach the top with a little hard work. and the average person with more money than brains, would not neccesarily be the king on the game.

Beer is the answer!
    I forgot the question

Hootsmom: Excellent, with this information you have provided us any person can now contact Joymax by means of letters and other related correspondance.

EpicWin: Interesting thoughts, here's my thoughts on them.

Idea 1: It would do nothing but help the boycott if a group of hardcore fans had the money and did this. If Joymax allows them in, we could finally figure out why the situation has degraded like this from their own mouths, and if they lie then we have propaganda to use against a company that is starting to believe their own lies now. And if they refused to let the people in, then we can use it as propaganda to show how Joymax was so evil and heartless they would not allow fans of their own game in. This idea requires alot of coordination and people willing to spend money and time for an MMORPG, so it's unlikely to happen by anyone except people that like the game and happen to live in South Korea. Actually, now that I think of it, if we could mobilize a group of people in South Korea to do this, this idea could work...

Idea 2: Absolutely no. We do want improved support by Joymax, and we want the bots to die. But a straight up hacking of Joymax would not be in the best interests of the Silk Boycott. We want to improve the situation, not terrorize Joymax with hacker threats. This could even be perceived as a terrorist act, and I do not want to see anyone who supported the Silk Boycott to go to jail all for an MMORPG game.

Idea 3: Hmmm...tricky situation here. First off, user-created private servers are illegal, and there's always that possibility that the creator could turn evil with the server idea and do something very destructive. However, if Joymax actually allowed third party servers into the game and the creators of those servers aren't evil, then it's not hard to see botless servers in the future. The way to convince Joymax to allow third party servers is beyond me. This idea has potential good, but it also has potential dangers as well.

These are interesting thoughts EpicWin. Idea 1 could work, Idea 3 has potential, and overall these thoughts have me thinking.

One last thing everyone. I have been devising another idea, one that could be a potentially good idea for the Silk Boycott. I will announce it when I have the idea down.

Also, I have officially posted a boycott forum inside the general discussion area. I ask that if you supported the Silk Boycott here, then support it again on that forum. The name is very similar to this thread. But do not abandon this thread, I will still talk in this one as well.

Howbout we hire chuck norris to go over their and kick their asses as they leave the office and go to their cars in the parking lot?

:)

Anyway, i wasnt talking about hacking joymax, itself. i was talking about an attack on the goldbotting companies. Since, according to joymax, they are operating illegally, they would have no case against us with the authorities.  Sort of like, if you burned a field of cocaine, you couldnt get arrested for destruction of property.

Beer is the answer!
    I forgot the question

• cassiopaeiacassiopaeia Member Posts: 23

This is Cassiopaeia.

I have a message for everyone from Ramen.

Due to personal reasons, the player known on here and on the iSRO forums as RamenThief7 will be offline for a while.

Before anyone says anything...No, the reasons for him going offline have NOTHING to do with the boycott itself.  He is not getting cold feet, rest assured of that.

Until his return, he has asked me to take over on the Silk Boycott.  I will do so, but only until he returns to us.

So let's spread the word to not only the SRO players, but our fellow F2P gamers as well.  What happens to this game can and will have serious reprocussions elsewhere in the MMORPG gaming world, especially if others decide to follow SRO's example.  Let's keep the boycott going!

I already posted this in the main thread of the silk boycott, but I'll state it here also for anyone who doesn't know this already.

Because of personal reasons, I will not be online as often as before. So, since the boycott can't survive if the leader isn't always around, Cassiopaeia is the new official leader of the silk boycott on MMORPG.com. I believe she will be an excellent leader and will lead the boycott to victory. I'll be on whenever I can to show support, but I will not be on often anymore.

• PsyhoMirPsyhoMir Member UncommonPosts: 23

Heh ...bots was a reason for me to leave Silkroad years ago.... i hate spots crowded by bots.

Way too true, PsyhoMir!  I may be wrong but I don't think there is any legit that would like a game that's swarming with bots, like this one is, much less one that forces legits to turn into cheats.

I have been reading posts since the start of this boycott where other players that don't support it say stuff like "It's just 1 in 10,000 games, just go to another one" or "This one's dead, just play something else."  My take on it is this:  Up until the boycott here started, I was one of them.  I'm not now for three reasons.

1)  Like I have said in the General Discussion in the main forums:  Sure, people can do that:  when a game's infested with bots and the company doesn't care, just run away to another game.  The part of that concept that a lot of ppl miss is this: ...until the game you ran to gets to that point, then run from it to the next one, and so on.  I wonder, what would happen if and when we run out of games?  Where do we run to then?  I wonder what answer Nightbloom, as the Correspondant, has to that question?

2)  I'm sure there are a lot of hopeful newbies that got disenchanted with this game.  Again, speaking from personal experience as one of them.  I'm also sure that a lot of them hold a tiny piece of hope that someday they might see why it is that so many ppl playing this game are willing to stick it out.  I personally want to see for myself why people would be drawn to this game, but the only way that is going to happen is to get rid of the bots.

3)  There are plenty of people, in and off the forums, that say, "This game is dead, just let it disappear and go elsewhere."  I can speak for myself on this:  This game may be dying, but I for one am not going to let it die off without a fight.  I hope that everyone that supports the boycott will also keep the fight up to the last virtual breath.

I thought that I would post an update.

There are plenty of people that are signing on with this boycott.  That's evident not only here, but in the General Forums section, too.  We need to keep it up.  Not only through forums, but word-of-mouth too, so that players that don't read the forums can get involved, too.

Also, I have sent an e-mail to someone very influential in the MMORPG world, asking for support and help.  This person is very high up in the IGN's staff.  If I get an answer, I will post it here and in the other Silk Boycott thread on this site.

not sure why, but when i try to sign into the joymax forum, i get an Error 2.

see my seperate thread about Jangan Cave goldbots.

ED:  I rarely do make mistakes, but I do admit it when I do...and this is my error.

I had misinterpreted what might have very well been either a few-hours-ban or a computer error as a perm-ban.  For that, I apologize.

This situation, though, has also called to attention that it is very possible that in order to silence the boycott, Joymax could very well ban us from their site.

Instead of seeing it as a reason to quit, it would be better to keep the possibility in mind and, if it happens, see it as an opportunity.

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by Yamota
    I boycot any MMORPG that requires you to pay money, other than the standard monthly fee, to be competetive. So that would include Silkroad Online.
    Success in a MMORPG should come from skills, cooperation and dedication. Not from the size of your wallet.

/discussion.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

Originally posted by cassiopaeia

ED:  I rarely do make mistakes, but I do admit it when I do...and this is my error.
    I had misinterpreted what might have very well been either a few-hours-ban or a computer error as a perm-ban.  For that, I apologize.

This situation, though, has also called to attention that it is very possible that in order to silence the boycott, Joymax could very well ban us from their site.
    Instead of seeing it as a reason to quit, it would be better to keep the possibility in mind and, if it happens, see it as an opportunity.

Well once i sign in and get the Error2 page, if i go back to the main page in history bar - it shows me logged in. *edit* it shows my name with a "1" at end. end of *edit* i emailed support & will see what they say. Started today. They did do an update to website i think.

UPDATE: JoyMax Support replied to my email. They are happy i found a workaround. But if it happens again to email them. It still happens. Everytime i go to post. It is not a ban as i can still read the forum.

Sorry this hasn't been updated lately, RL has gotten in the way.

Today I have some news and information you might find of interest,

First off, according to the official iSRO forum, the President and Founder of Joymax died sometime last month.  News of this is on the kSRO site as well.  This is a good time to see just who will be replacing him as the President and to encourage him to do the right thing where Silkroad Online is concerned.

Second, it's come to my attention, from the same source, that while SRO has been using the GameGuard logo, they are NOT using the GG program at all.  One of the players has brought this to nProtect's attention and that company is now investigating Joymax.  Below this paragraph is a link that serves as proof of this bit of news.  nProtect has stated that they want to hear from other SRO players about the bot situation over there, so e-mail them with your comments (constructive) and screenshots of the bots.

http://silkroadcp.joymax.com/sro_board/bhboard/bh_postview.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=106914

As you all know, Joymax has a bad habit of deleting the truth, so hurry to the link and read the thread.

Now, for the main gig.

As everyone also knows, Joymax has been deleting any and all posts involving their own contact information.  I've gained, through a source that will remain anonymous, not only the name and contact of the Global sales Manager but also for the company in Korea.

Joe Cho

Global Marketing Division

Staff / Global Business Team

M. 82-10-2933-2922

E. [email protected]

16F, IT Venture Tower West Wing, 78, Garakbon-Dong, Songpa-ku, Seoul, KOREA 138-803

Telephone: +82-2-420-8854 (ext.5112)

FAX: +82-2-420-8855

Use this information to send letters, e-mails and telephone to these people.  Let them see and hear that we will not be ignored, silenced or shuffled away.

Ive emailed them dozens of times, on all their email addresses.

They  never respond, unless i ask something like "how do i give you guys more money?"

Its a company full of tyrants, evil people with absolutely no morals.

I dont know how anyone who is able to contact them directly doesnt tell them to be nicer to their customers.

Is there anyone from MMORPG.com who can actually speak with joymax?

Let me guess... they are on the goldsite payroll too...

Its not only sad, but sick that joymax is getting away with this. I seriously wish i lived in Korea. I'll tell you now that id be giving them a piece of my mind.

Not sure if i mentioned this.  But what about a bunch of us costumers taking a trip to Joymax in Korea?

I wonder how they would "delete" what we have to say if we were saying to their cowardly faces?  Personally i can't go anytime soon, one reason being that i dont trust myself to not grab them by their chicken necks and choke them until they make the game the way it should be... lol.

Beer is the answer!
    I forgot the question

• ianwelshyianwelshy Member UncommonPosts: 28

i am in support of this boycott because joymax has done nothing to stop botters and it will always be this way.

i love this game i really mean love this game,it was my first ever mmorpg game and i so wish joymax would get their act together.

Hey, havent been here in a while... anyone still lurking around?

What do you guys think of this stuff joymax is blabbing about, with the no bot rule about to come into play?

Is it like the rest of their garbage, just a bunch of lies? Its definately not the first time they claimed to be putting an end to botting, lol.

My opinion is that if they do add a no botting rule to the game, and actually have it so nobody can bot.  Will that mean we can log in? or will they continue to fill the servers with lvl 1 characters "hiding" around the towns? Another thought i had... What about the people who already botted to lvl 100, and have 2 mil SP + and a bunch of sun gear? will they just sit on the top dominating everyone, while the poor lvl 30's and 40's die constantly in pvp with next to no chance of reaching the cap before another is in place?

Or will they wipe the servers/ban level capped botters? (doubtful since they pay quite a bit of cash)

Beer is the answer!
    I forgot the question

• faqrofaqro Member CommonPosts: 3

So simple to solve: just quit (and if you're thinking to try, forget about it).

There area lot of better games, free to play or not; but instead of buying silk, why not pay for a 30 or 60 days of a nice smooth game? I've been played silkroad online for about 3 years, every month hoping will be better. It's a nice game, it could have potential, but it's useless. Just quit and find another game. There are a bunch of games much much better then this. Silkroad it's not fun since a log time ago, it cannot be considered anymore a game to be played for having a good time, to be fun. Not at all! Even if you buy that silk, how long you have to try to enter the game to purchase a premium ticket and activate it? Let's say you're lucky and you did that. And you're in. And then what? Guess! You're playing along with bots. Ha ha! How fun is that? I don't think there's a mmorpg without bots, totally clean; but Silkroad... man, this is way beyond worst.

If what I'm thinking counts:

-first: there's an old game around played by over 11 million users (WOW !?). It's cheaper then how much i used to spend monthly on silkroad online.

-second: there's a brand new game coming, and I can hardly can wait for it's launch (Aion - [I'm in Europe]). Also much cheaper then silkroad online, Some of you may say "yes, but silkroad is free to play" and I'll say "No, it's not. Just have a look (if you can -:) )."

-third: so easy to chose any another game, even it's free to play or not, no matter how much you like silkroad.

When every single game should be made to have some good time, to have fun and all that, we all are writing everywhere about how shitty Joymax and other companies alike are, instead of finding games actually deserve, at least, giving a try.

But this is just my thought. Everyone must do as they wish. I'm not doing the same mistake again (my goodness! I still cannot belive, 3 years of shitty gaming!).

Edit: I forgot to mention I support the Silk boycott, maybe it helps those who still play or will play Silkroad Online.

• kahzaakahzaa Member Posts: 10

I support of this boycott. I am a legit player...

To be honest I ended up boycotting the entire game until this is fixed, So I guess Ill have to follow to forums to see if its fixed and if I can come back.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Vote with your wallet. That has always been the mantra for MMOs. I'm surprised any of these games charge monthly fees or RMT anymore. The quality is generally worse than any other multiplayer genre. And those are all free. Always have been.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• kahzaakahzaa Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Palebane

Vote with your wallet.

I completely agree. I think if enough people protest it will work, the only problem is botters also buy premium that way they can always get in in case something happens. to be honest I don't think it could work unless somehow every single person who was a legit player was contacted and agreed to protest.

• Pro_PwnererPro_Pwnerer Member Posts: 51

I support this Boycott. Since i recently downloaded like 1 week ago, and hasn't been able to play yet.

• nimbrethilnimbrethil Member Posts: 41

I quit Silkroad 10 months ago, this game has always been my best loved mmorpg and it was a sad day when i left, I left for this very reason, the vast amount of bots, i live in hope Joymax get there act togeather and wipe these bot's out for good, and let the legits play and enjoy this awsome game as it should be,  I still have my account and one day hope 2 return 2 my archer and my beloved wolf, I support u guys in your boycott, I may even log in again soon... just for a visit..