Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve or Vanguard...hrmm

neo750aneo750a Member Posts: 75

I wanna play something so I can hold myself till the other new MMO's come out but I dunno if i should go back to Eve Online or try out Vanguard.  I've been a long fan of EQ type games and have already tried the trial of Vanguard.  I also have 2 accounts that are not active atm on Eve Online but I know if I play Eve, I'll just choose which skills to train and just mine ny life away.  Though it does bring me some enjoyment even if its boring.

Sigh, I'm just stuck, I don't wanna pay for both ha!  the other free MMO's aren't my style either and the limited Aion play I've had makes me wanna play it so bad.  Half of me wants to fly a ship and the other half wants to do the normal fantasy stuff.

Comments

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

It's impossible to compare these games.

If I had to choose I would pick Eve.

Why? umm........

Space cruisers with heavy blasters traveling faster than the speed of light are cooler then Orks and Elves with swords?

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• SirOmegaSirOmega Member Posts: 25
  • neo750aneo750a Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by JGMIII

Why? umm........
    Space cruisers with heavy blasters traveling faster than the speed of light are cooler then Orks and Elves with swords?

This is true, though I remember one time where I was mining an asteroid field and a guy comes along and takes my ore out of a canister and puts it into his own canister and he types to me.."Oh was that yours? I'm sorry you can have it back, just come and grab it."  I'm not as retarded as most player as clearly if I took it out of his canister I would be flagged and he'd gun me down because a mining ship vs a missle cruiser is not a balanced fight. 

Originally posted by neo750a

Why? umm........

This is true, though I remember one time where I was mining an asteroid field and a guy comes along and takes my ore out of a canister and puts it into his own canister and he types to me.."Oh was that yours? I'm sorry you can have it back, just come and grab it."  I'm not as retarded as most player as clearly if I took it out of his canister I would be flagged and he'd gun me down because a mining ship vs a missle cruiser is not a balanced fight. 

Awesome you didnt fall for his baiting.

You're a natural, Play Eve.

• MidniteHowlMidniteHowl Member UncommonPosts: 149

Shoulda made this a poll LOL. I'm going to say Vanguard because I play it and I'm a fan of it...unfortunately I have'nt played Eve really besides the free trial which didn't give me much time to really get into it.

Why? umm........

Awesome you didnt fall for his baiting.

You're a natural, Play Eve.

Oh man and just re-reading what i wrote I remember when I played shadowbane around the time when it first came out on the open PVP server.  I was checking out my guilds town that I just joined and I was the only one there.  All of a sudden 2 groups of people from another guild came into town and was roleplaying while harrassing me...I was like "This is some dum ****."  The leader of the group said to me,"Leave thy clan and swear loyalty to us and we shalt not kill thee!". I was crapping my pants that these guys were actually roleplaying.  I was thinking how I would get out of this siutation safely and I couldn't remember if logging off changed my characters emote lol.

I responded saying "I am logging off soon.  I can't play much longer" and they were like "Logging off? Whats that? What is thee playing?" and then they talked to each other roleplay style in all chat.  I was stuck their with them for 30 minutes cause I didn't wanna lose the gear on my character.  Then i was like **** it and just closed the program.

I want to do this to someone, though it put me through hell, I wanna give someone else the same experience cause it was also hella funny.  I know you can't really roleplay in Eve and dieing in that game definately isn't pleasant if your not in a corporation.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Seriously ,i don't want to beat a dead horse,but i have no idea why ANYONE would play EVE?it is ancient software going nowhere fast.VG is miles ahead of EVE in every aspect,well except one,i am sure EVE may have more players.

Really does player populace really matter anymore?reading chat forums over and over,it has become apparent that MOST prefer to solo anyhow,so who cares how many are playing?If the OP is a true MMO gamer and wants nothing more than grouping,then i can't offer anything otehr than go play FFXI,it is the ONLY true grouping game ever made and is not your normal copied Fantasy game it does have unique ideas.If you are of the many who prefer to play usually solo,then VG is by far the superior game over EVE.I would have to strain my one brain cell to think of ONE single idea from EVE that i wish my favourite game would incorporate,notta one.

If i had a choice ,i would take bits and pieces from EQ2/VG and FFXI and i would have the perfect game and be happy forever after.

Now mind you ,there is one other aspect,PVP or PVE,VG is a PVE design,where as EVE is a PVP design.I have no care for PVP at all,so you can take my opinion as a biased one if you want.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Well, after some digging around I've come to the conclusion of playing Darkfall Online.  I know it has a rough start atm but I'm a pretty tolerant person on graphics and animations.  This game reminds me of the game play of Asheron's Call which I think most people haven't played (Which is a shame!).  Was alot of fun for me besides the original EQ(Was playing on test server and they did a item wipe the day after i got my human necro's int above 200+)...

Here I come Darkfall, I'm gonna roleplay then kill someone so bad!

Now gotta wait for the open window to actually buy the game...

• IcarumbaIcarumba Member UncommonPosts: 50

Well, after some digging around I've come to the conclusion of playing Darkfall Online.  I know it has a rough start atm but I'm a pretty tolerant person on graphics and animations.  This game reminds me of the game play of Asheron's Call which I think most people haven't played (Which is a shame!).  Was alot of fun for me besides the original EQ(Was playing on test server and they did a item wipe the day after i got my human necro's int above 200+)...
    Here I come Darkfall, I'm gonna roleplay then kill someone so bad!

Now gotta wait for the open window to actually buy the game...

good choice :) it's a very good game! there are a lot of haters though, be prepared to get flamed.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

Well, after some digging around I've come to the conclusion of playing Darkfall Online.

Oh.

I was going to suggest playing both EVE and Vanguard as I do.

Vanguard is for my PvE fix and when I want to have a good PvP experience I log onto EVE although admittedly I've been playing Vanguard a lot more than EVE recently.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

I played Darkfall and I thought the graphics and animation were the best parts. Great idea, not that great execution.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

I wanna make sure, Is it 2pm that you can buy the game on their website? Eastern Standard Time? or is it at a different time? I live on east coast.

• IcarumbaIcarumba Member UncommonPosts: 50

I wanna make sure, Is it 2pm that you can buy the game on their website? Eastern Standard Time? or is it at a different time? I live on east coast.

No, it's GMT since they are based in Greece.

Hrmm, so is it -5 hours from 2pm GMT? so like 9am EST? Sorry I'm not that smart haha.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

It would be -4 because of daylights savings time. It was -5 for me, and I live in New Orleans.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

Ahh i forgot about day lights saving time.  Well sweet, thx for the info!  And thx to those for your input!

Originally posted by Wizardry

Seriously ,i don't want to beat a dead horse,but i have no idea why ANYONE would play EVE?it is ancient software going nowhere fast.VG is miles ahead of EVE in every aspect,well except one,i am sure EVE may have more players.
    Really does player populace really matter anymore?reading chat forums over and over,it has become apparent that MOST prefer to solo anyhow,so who cares how many are playing?If the OP is a true MMO gamer and wants nothing more than grouping,then i can't offer anything otehr than go play FFXI,it is the ONLY true grouping game ever made and is not your normal copied Fantasy game it does have unique ideas.If you are of the many who prefer to play usually solo,then VG is by far the superior game over EVE.I would have to strain my one brain cell to think of ONE single idea from EVE that i wish my favourite game would incorporate,notta one.
    If i had a choice ,i would take bits and pieces from EQ2/VG and FFXI and i would have the perfect game and be happy forever after.
    Now mind you ,there is one other aspect,PVP or PVE,VG is a PVE design,where as EVE is a PVP design.I have no care for PVP at all,so you can take my opinion as a biased one if you want.

I really tried to give VG a shot the other day. I actually even bought another stick of memory for my old PC just to try it at a decent setting. I load up the game I have the whole thing running on Medium/High (Which looks good imo).

I create a Male Orc and select a Dreadknight (I think thats what its name was).

I zone into the world and everything looks good, im getting good Fps and no stuttering. So i run to my first Npc and get a quest and then another quests. After about 5 minutes the animations start to really bother me. The game world looks nice but the mobs are horribly designed and God the UI looks like a mix of a EQ throwback and something out of a F2p game.

The combat is so stiff in the game that I couldn't believe I wasted my time downloading. Usually the guys on this site point me in the right direction, this time I feel like they were just messing with me.

Seriously I would pick WoW, Lotro or Even WAR over Vaguard. I don;t know how anyone could seriously play that game.

Damn there's a reason VG is devoid of players, the game is bad and the only people playing it are Old EQ players that have nowhere left to go.

It's bad enough to play a themepark quest stacking MMO but to play one with shitty combat and animations is beyond me.

Personally I don't know how anyone could put this game up against EvE, sure certain players dont like Eve's Rts style combat but atleast its polished and not a rough mess like VGs system.

Atleast Eve has players swarming newbie systems in VG i didnt see anyone on the trail isle at all!

I understand the Quoted poster is a pure carebear and that's fine but to say VG is even on the same level than Eve is a crime!

Eve is a polished and feature rich game while I can't  even call VG a MMO thats worthly of its P2p payment model.

Thanks for reading :)

Yea it's definite truth that Vanguard ain't for everyone.  Especially if you like awesome looking combat or great animations.  EQ didn't have great animations either but the spell effects were awesome!

Now a days, If something looks cool, its the way to go and if it has sweet gameplay along with it it's like winning the lottery to be able to play in that world.  You'll already be thinking about how your gonna get bad ass looking weapons and armor and how your gonna own anyone who crosses paths with you.  (it's how I think until i get ganked haha).

Changing Vanguards Models and animations would definately be alot of work and I don't think SOE is giving Vanguard much support.

Eve Online does have awesome graphics though with space games, You don't really have to rely on world environments except the sky boxes.  That's why it has a heavy focus on the models and effects cause thats all your ever gonna see.  Though I could look at good looking sky boxes ALL DAY! like Aion's.

Oh a thing about the original EQ I liked was when it rained at night, it was pretty much pitch black and you could only see literally 5 meters infront of you ha! Easily a horror game at that point!

• Nostromo21Nostromo21 Member UncommonPosts: 76

Merdian59 all th waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! :)

Ok, I've played EVE for a couple monthsback a couple years ago & as more than just a carebear I honestly can't recommend it to any PvE-centric players. Great for soloing though, if you don't mind looking over your shoulder all the time. However, it really needs a complete re-design with at least PvE servers focused on co-op & soloers, if it's ever to get past the 20K active subs it has now, but probably never will. You see, I hear that the devs & redheaded sociopathic stepchildren that play it actually like it this way...shhhhhhh!!! Praise where praise is due, EVE is a beautiful game with the most complex player economy I've yet come across,if you don't mind a 'be the ship' kinda game, where you can never get out & walk around as a human being. And then there's the grind factor...in fact, for a game that prides itself on real-time everyone-equal skill training, it's THE most grindy mmo I've ever played lol! It's so grindtastic they need to make up a new word for it rofl! Think I'd rather wait for Jumpgate Evolution to get my flyboy fix thank you very much.

Vanguard...played the free trial for a couple sessions not long ago, mainly because I love pet classes & the necro has intrigued me since before release. The reality is...quite different...it should almost really be a f2p game. Graphics on my AMD 3400/X1950Pro/2Gb DDR400, which should be *plenty* rig for the game, just chug along, even on medium settings on the starting isle where I only saw one or 2 others. As another poster said, combat is clunky at best & feels like EQ1 or similar. Shame really. Even SWG, which is so much more game, feels less...artificial, go figure?

For my money these days, play LOTRO, or CoX or even WoW if you haveto, or better yet, D2:MedianXL on d2manics or over LAN like the Mrs & I are doing while waiting for D3! <G>

They say that right before you die, your life flashes before your eyes. That's true, even for a blind man. ^DareDevil^

Yea it's definite truth that Vanguard ain't for everyone.  Especially if you like awesome looking combat or great animations.  EQ didn't have great animations either but the spell effects were awesome!
    Now a days, If something looks cool, its the way to go and if it has sweet gameplay along with it it's like winning the lottery to be able to play in that world.  You'll already be thinking about how your gonna get bad ass looking weapons and armor and how your gonna own anyone who crosses paths with you.  (it's how I think until i get ganked haha).

Changing Vanguards Models and animations would definately be alot of work and I don't think SOE is giving Vanguard much support.
    Eve Online does have awesome graphics though with space games, You don't really have to rely on world environments except the sky boxes.  That's why it has a heavy focus on the models and effects cause thats all your ever gonna see.  Though I could look at good looking sky boxes ALL DAY! like Aion's.

Oh a thing about the original EQ I liked was when it rained at night, it was pretty much pitch black and you could only see literally 5 meters infront of you ha! Easily a horror game at that point!

When EQ released most of us were only used to UO, so It was  fantastic looking.

Obviously technology ramped up after that and now EQ is extremely dated.

There is just no excuse imo for Vanguard to play as bad and look as bad as it does.

I just cant get into it im sorry.

I understand Eve is a space game but it runs like a dream on a freaking toaster.

For me Eve is a far surperior game.

VG seems like a mess. I would rahter play anyother THemepark. Only the WAR engine is as unstable as VGs.

{There is just no excuse imo for Vanguard to play as bad and look as bad as it does.)

Good point haha.

• Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Eve, due to it being the one with a future.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

I have an active subscription to both games. EVE Online is great for when you feel like belonging to a larger picture and helping your corporation pursue their goals. There is no end game and there's always something new to learn. Vanguard is good if you're more into traditional style MMO's and want something that won't hold your hand through everything, but is not so difficult as to become frustrating.

Both games have their faults though. When people say EVE is an AFK game, they generally mean it. A lot of time in the game is spent waiting, be it waiting for your ship to get from place to place, waiting for your ship to finish killing NPC targets, waiting for your mining lasers to complete their one-minute cycle, or waiting for enemies to pass through a gate so you can gank them.

Vanguard on the other hand, is your traditional MMO. Although crafting and especially diplomacy are pretty unique, the rest of the game is based on the standard formula. After running several dozen quests, you don't really care about the quests themselves anymore and start looking at only the objectives and rewards. Once you hit the level cap, it's all about grinding dungeons for better gear to...you guessed it, run more dungeons. Like your typical MMO, your main goal is pretty much just to collect better gear so you can fight the same monsters, just made stronger every time to match your level.

I play EVE when I want to feel like I'm actually making a difference on the game world, and Vanguard when I want to play something more arcade-ish and less consequential. Both are great games (though EVE is arguably more polished), but it ultimately depends on what you're looking for. I just happen to enjoy both types of gameplay at different times.

• ougaritougarit Member Posts: 317

forget VG, play Eve

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

Vanguard is recieving minimal support.It's hard core. You want a full time job that's not going to end soon  and minimal progress,,,this is the game for you.Sony has also decided to sell item to fight the gold sellers. Sooo..game integrety.....