Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overlord is the only game that did minions correctly

MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

I havent posted on the on-topic forums lately, mostly because I haven't been playing mmorpgs lately but I fired up and old game (Overlord) and watched some new gameplay trailers for Overlord 2 and realized something.

Overlord is the only game I can think of that made minions practical.

Anybody else with me on this one? Id love to see a system similar to Overlords impleneted for a pet class or conjurer class in a mmorpg, its so fluid, intuitive and powerful and it gives the control you've always wanted to swarms of little minions. Its a very powerful feeling to effectivly control an army from a zoomed in 3rd person view and I think If a mmorpg was to use this, It might be the first time I ever actually play a pet class...

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

Comments

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112
    Originally posted by Munki

I havent posted on the on-topic forums lately, mostly because I haven't been playing mmorpgs lately but I fired up and old game (Overlord) and watched some new gameplay trailers for Overlord 2 and realized something.
    Overlord is the only game I can think of that made minions practical.
    Anybody else with me on this one? Id love to see a system similar to Overlords impleneted for a pet class or conjurer class in a mmorpg, its so fluid, intuitive and powerful and it gives the control you've always wanted to swarms of little minions. Its a very powerful feeling to effectivly control an army from a zoomed in 3rd person view and I think If a mmorpg was to use this, It might be the first time I ever actually play a pet class...

I would love playing a MMORPG where you could have pets like Diablo 2 necromancer class or DaoCs Bonedancer. Just a small army or group of pets of pure fun.

• CarCrusher82CarCrusher82 Member Posts: 5

sorry guys not going to happen for a while the server load would be extream EVE tryed to do it with Drones and failed. look it up sad story.

the problem each pets action,place,commands all have to be relayed to the server so others can see the little bugger, target it kill it heal it or whatever,

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by CarCrusher82
    sorry guys not going to happen for a while the server load would be extream EVE tryed to do it with Drones and failed. look it up sad story.

How did they fail? My drones worked just fine in EVE.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

So instead of having 100 players in the area you have 60 players plus pets.

If the game is designed from the ground up to have minions, there is no reason why it can't work, the technology is definitely there to do it, if used correctly.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

lol.. ya I loved the first overlord.  Not sure why it didnt get better reviews, the guy at gamestop actually tried talking me out of buying it.  I forgot Overlord 2 just came out.  Glad to hear you're enjoying it.  I gotta pick it up!

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."