Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it a MMO?

hello folks. with all the talk about this game gonna be more of a single player game, what do you guys think, its on this site, so somehow it must be a MMORPG, what do you guys think, do you think theres gonna be lots of social content in this game aswell? I sure hope so, cous if they are focusing on the single player part, it wont turn out good, not for a mmorpg

Comments

• Sain34Sain34 Member UncommonPosts: 293

The real question is will the game be any good? I think with Bioware behind it the chances are pretty good that it will be.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Bioware stands for quality. When they say they'll make a MMO, it will be a MMO )

• KazzerKazzer Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Sain34

The real question is will the game be any good? I think with Bioware behind it the chances are pretty good that it will be.

i bet it will be a good game, but, if they set a montly fee, will you pay every month for a single player game?

Originally posted by Kilmar

Bioware stands for quality. When they say they'll make a MMO, it will be a MMO )

Hope so :-)

Originally posted by Kazzer

i bet it will be a good game, but, if they set a montly fee, will you pay every month for a single player game?

I do believe that Bioware has already stated that TOR will be micro-transaction based.

• RaiizenRaiizen Member Posts: 177

yes i would

I do believe that Bioware has already stated that TOR will be micro-transaction based.

hmm i hope not, that means the peeps with the moste money will have a better game.. thats not fair to anyone really

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Kilmar

Hope so :-)

Yes but that can mean anything. I'm pretty sure that they are not going to be hindered by some moniker and not explore or concentrate on some aspect fo the game just because of what some people considere an mmo.

AoC, Lineage 2, DDO and CoH are mmo's but they are very different.

If they want to move the mmo genre in a different direction they could very well do that too. But it also might not be what players have in mind.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

All of the "talk" about this game being single player has come from ignorant fools who are too small minded to comprehend how an mmo could still be story driven.  Do not let their shorcomings taint your view of this game.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

WoW can be played solo all the way to end game, does that make it a single player game?  Huh, if so there are lots of people willing to pay monthly for a single player game.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand

Here is the artical where EA says TOR will be micro-trans.

http://www.massively.com/2008/12/09/star-wars-the-old-republic-to-be-microtransaction-based

I am looking for the dev interview where they say they like WoW and will use it as a model.

http://www.massively.com/2008/12/09/star-wars-the-old-republic-to-be-microtransaction-based

I am looking for the dev interview where they say they like WoW and will use it as a model.

so they are going for the millioners crowd? if so, they wont get many subs, i dont like it when its not fair for everyone, everyone plays the same game, bought it, they should be treated the same, imo

• dknight784dknight784 Member Posts: 44

WoW CAN be played solo from start to end ,but not many ppl do.

Because at end game just about everyone has joined a guild.

And thats when they started to do PvP raids etc.

so they are going for the millioners crowd? if so, they wont get many subs, i dont like it when its not fair for everyone, everyone plays the same game, bought it, they should be treated the same, imo

People always overreact to this micro-transaction payment plan. It also shows who has a superiority complex when they throw a temper tantrum because someone with more money could get the new shiny items and they were too pig headed to buy it. You are not paying a sub fee so instead spend that $15.00 a month on transactions to get your "shinies"

I for one love micro-transaction because I can get away with a free game while everyone else needs to be "superior" and drop massive cash on it.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

But there is a disclaimer that the article might not be true:

Update: Shacknews has updated its story to state "no statements have been made about the Star Wars business model," and attributing Mr. Riccitiello's comments to a misunderstanding. For the time being, then, this appears to be unsubstantiated information.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Martie

There are rumors going around this game is going to be heavily instnaced and zoned like Aoc.

And for now, that is all they are.  Just like living in a small town you don't believe anything anyone says unless it is from the person the rumor is about.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
    Originally posted by Locklain

People always overreact to this micro-transaction payment plan. It also shows who has a superiority complex when they throw a temper tantrum because someone with more money could get the new shiny items and they were too pig headed to buy it. You are not paying a sub fee so instead spend that $15.00 a month on transactions to get your "shinies"

I for one love micro-transaction because I can get away with a free game while everyone else needs to be "superior" and drop massive cash on it.

Shiny? so it not gear that makes you alot betterm stuff like that? becous thats what makes me worried

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

TBH all this speculation is just silly.  BioWare has state that this is an MMO so all this naysaying trying to say it's a single player game in disguise is silly.  BioWare is known for:

1) Releasing quality software

2) Releasing games that are very close to, if not spot on, their targetted feature set.

If they say it'll be an MMO then it'll be an MMO.... TBH I do hope they do some 'breaking of new ground' with how this works verses other MMO's because I'm about sick of all the games that just key off the same old rules that have been followed since EQ1/DAOC were released.   I am, for one, really looking forward to seeing what BioWare comes up with and am going to go into it with a completely open mind like I do with any other MMORPG.  

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

There are rumors going around this game is going to be heavily instnaced and zoned like Aoc.

And for now, that is all they are.  Just like living in a small town you don't believe anything anyone says unless it is from the person the rumor is about.

yea to many rumors, i want the truth! :-) hehe

all tho i hope its not "HEAVILY" instanced, sounds like alot :-p

Originally posted by Taram

TBH all this speculation is just silly.  BioWare has state that this is an MMO so all this naysaying trying to say it's a single player game in disguise is silly.  BioWare is known for:
    1) Releasing quality software
    2) Releasing games that are very close to, if not spot on, their targetted feature set.
    If they say it'll be an MMO then it'll be an MMO.... TBH I do hope they do some 'breaking of new ground' with how this works verses other MMO's because I'm about sick of all the games that just key off the same old rules that have been followed since EQ1/DAOC were released.   I am, for one, really looking forward to seeing what BioWare comes up with and am going to go into it with a completely open mind like I do with any other MMORPG.  

I hope your right

Shiny? so it not gear that makes you alot betterm stuff like that? becous thats what makes me worried

No one knows.  No one knows whether this will be micro-transaction based, no one knows whether it will be heavily instanced, no one knows how soloable it will be, no one knows how gear based it will be . . . no one knows.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand

No one knows.  No one knows whether this will be micro-transaction based, no one knows whether it will be heavily instanced, no one knows how soloable it will be, no one knows how gear based it will be . . . no one knows.

lol no, but we do have our thoughts :-)

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Instanced or not. MMO or not. Insignificant as long as it's good.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

Instanced or not. MMO or not. Insignificant as long as it's good.

My thoughts exactly.  If the gameplay is good, I couldn't care less if the PC was stuck inside a cube for the entire game.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand