Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming back to try yet another time...

TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Hey all...

Taking a bit of a break from EVE soon and will be coming back to SWG.... my old PA no longer exists as almost all of us left SWG after the NGE so I'm looking for a new family to play with.  SWG, like any other MMO, sucks arse without friends to play with and, well, since I know most of the folks on MMORPG.COM better than anyone in any MMO out there other than my corp-mates in EVE I figured I'd ask here to see if there's a group of us playing together on any servers.

Anyhow, I'm going to give the game another shot and it'd be nice to do it with 'friends' so if any of you are still playing give me a shout and let me know what server... if Taram is there I'll join you... if he's not?  I'll very likely start a new toon and join you anyway. 

I may not stay long but I do intend to give the game another fair shake as I have in the past. 

Peace.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

Comments

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199

I've just started playing again and, in all honesty, I was genuinely surprised.

There are a few things, like the valentine ewoks that can still be found, that really make my head hurt ... but it appears that the server merges are working. I log in at weird times and I always find people now. And not AFK jerks (though there are still a few of those too), but real players.

Even if Galaxies ends up with just two or three servers and no dedicated dev team ... if they managed to have a bug team and just maintained what the game currently is, I'll probably play for quite some time.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Yeah... since nobody bothered replying I went ahead and moved Taram from Lowca to Starslider /sider/however it's spelled.  Was  pleasantly surprised to find that it has a very robust community and loads of players on at all times.  Even bump into them when shopping... feels very nice. 

So far I have enjoyed myself.  I do still miss the profession trees but, and probably mostly because I've already got lvl 80 Bounty Hunter and 40 expertise points, so far it's been ok.   I mostly started it back up for my son, who is in love with Star Wars (6yrs old) and begged me to play it when he saw the box sitting on my bookshelf.  But so far I've enjoyed it almost as much as he's enjoyed playing it with me.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

They merged servers?!?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

They merged servers?!?

In essence yes.  They divided the servers into "transfer from" and transfer to" groups. 

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334

i think the most thing i enjoyed about this game was trying to get the best ship components for my heavy x wing.

• liberalguyliberalguy Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by lornj

i think the most thing i enjoyed about this game was trying to get the best ship components for my heavy x wing.

At least the current development team is too stupid to figure out the JtL code so they can't mess it up too badly...yet.

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Being in an MMO slump at the moment I've tried the full gamut of games over the past 2 months. 

After maximizing my disappointment with the modern MMO's, I figured, what the hell, I'll give Sony $30 to check out Vanguard, EQ2, and SWG..  

I played SWG back at release all the way up to the Mustafar expansion.   This is certainly not the game I remember and loved, but, accepting that fact, and accepting it's something entirely new now, I've been able to get in and etch out some enjoyment.

It's not an amazing game by any stretch, but given what else it out there it's not the worst either.

I used to agree with the whole SOE killed the game, blah blah ANTI-NGE nonsense.  But, I can accept the fact the old SWG closed up years ago, and this new different Star Wars MMO is now taken it's place.    It's certainly never going to win any merits and I can't even really recommend it to my friends, but hell for a 5+ year old game, I can say, I've seen and played worse.

So, hope everybody else is having a good time that's playing it.  I'll second on the Starsider server bit.  

There are a shyte ton of people everywhere.  So much so that I've had some competition for quest mobs outside Mos Eisely.  

If I can just find a person or two to play with to liven up the experience, I'd probably stick around for a bit.

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by sigurd57

Being in an MMO slump at the moment I've tried the full gamut of games over the past 2 months. 

After maximizing my disappointment with the modern MMO's, I figured, what the hell, I'll give Sony $30 to check out Vanguard, EQ2, and SWG..  

I played SWG back at release all the way up to the Mustafar expansion.   This is certainly not the game I remember and loved, but, accepting that fact, and accepting it's something entirely new now, I've been able to get in and etch out some enjoyment.
    It's not an amazing game by any stretch, but given what else it out there it's not the worst either.

I used to agree with the whole SOE killed the game, blah blah ANTI-NGE nonsense.  But, I can accept the fact the old SWG closed up years ago, and this new different Star Wars MMO is now taken it's place.    It's certainly never going to win any merits and I can't even really recommend it to my friends, but hell for a 5+ year old game, I can say, I've seen and played worse.
    So, hope everybody else is having a good time that's playing it.  I'll second on the Starsider server bit.  

There are a shyte ton of people everywhere.  So much so that I've had some competition for quest mobs outside Mos Eisely.  
    If I can just find a person or two to play with to liven up the experience, I'd probably stick around for a bit.

Its either start this again or wait for Aion.. 

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by liberalguy

Originally posted by lornj

At least the current development team is too stupid to figure out the JtL code so they can't mess it up too badly...yet.

^^ This :)

JTL is still pretty good, though they do apparently seem to have finally gotten around to taking away the skill trees and made it level based like the rest of the game, unfortunately.

Not a huge thing as you always had to SORT of progress through the skills... just sucks that you can't race to the ship class you want THEN train the equipment tiers.

• RivenshieldRivenshield Member Posts: 3

I tried downloading the free trial late last year, only to find that all my old characters -- including my entertainer I played for two years -- had been wiped. I felt like I'd read about the brutal murder of an old friend.

It'd be nice to go back and see what the game is like now, but I can't. Sony made sure of that.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by Rivenshield

I tried downloading the free trial late last year, only to find that all my old characters -- including my entertainer I played for two years -- had been wiped. I felt like I'd read about the brutal murder of an old friend.
    It'd be nice to go back and see what the game is like now, but I can't. Sony made sure of that.

SoE never wipe any characters. Not that I've heard of anyway.

Have you ever shared your account information?  You could try contacting Techincal Support and seeing if they can restore your characters somehow, although after a number of years I can see that this might be somewhat difficult.

Here's the policy on it:

If you find that a character is missing, or you've accidentally deleted a character you didn't mean to, Customer Service may be able to assist. IMPORTANT: It is extremely important that you contact us as soon as possible after finding that your character(s) are missing. At the time of this update, Customer Service only has about 10 days in which to attempt a restore of characters, items or structures, so time is of the essence.

Please submit a help ticket, and provide the following information (if available), along with any additional information that might help Customer Service:

•Name of the character

•When you last logged it in, or saw it on your Character Select screen.

•If the character had any structures or vendors associated with it.

•Station account name that the character was on (if different from the support account)

•Whether the deletion was accidental or not

•The status of your account (secure, recently compromised/stolen, etc)

When possible, please be sure to submit the request from the station account that lost the character: if for some reason you are not able to submit a ticket from the affected account, please make sure to specify which account Customer Service should be looking at. This helps Customer Service avoid unnecessary research, and allows us to get the problem addressed more efficiently.

If you believe your account's security was compromised and logged in by another party, please state that in your initial contact. While Customer Service will make every attempt to restore the character, the team may choose to go through a number of additional steps to make sure that the account is secured. This may result in a temporary suspension of the account's login capabilities until such a time that the account can be retrieved, and ownership verified.

Also, welcome back to whpsh, sigurd57 and Taram!  Feel free to PM me or post any questions you have and I'll try my best to get the answers for you.

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

Yeah, I've never heard of characters being wiped. I'd look into that.

I was a pre-CU SWG player and have to say that there are still some fun things to be done in the NGE. It has matured a bit, there are some aspects that are still similar to the original version.

I got into the space combat pretty heavily. I have always been Imperial on land and made the mistake of going neutral in space when JTL came out. I had a whole character concept going on, however, it ended up being a massive failure. Basically, everyone attacks me. Hahah. I was too high in my progression to change. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to switch factions in piloting without losing all experience. If there is a way now, I'd love to know!

I used to have a lot of fun building ships. I sport a Jedi Starfighter and just need to finish the last level of XP.

Ah well, good memories. Last time I went back I found out they did yet another revamp and all of my gear was crap...again.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Resign as neutral, done at one specific trainer, I think. Ask around to find him.

Then join the faction of your liking.

You may have to earn enough faction points before the faction switch.

As a former neutral master pilot, you will get double XP when grinding other pilot factions, so mastering a new pilot in another faction is not that hard.

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

Thanks for the fast reply. Yeah, I knew how to switch but was afraid I would lose all of my ranks (or whatever they are called) in piloting and have to start at 0 and work to master pilot in Imperial piloting. I'll look into that. I did not know about the xp boost, either. Pretty cool. Thanks again.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

You will lose your rank, and have to start over at your new pilot profession.