Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR will be the most incredible MMORPG to date...

2»

Comments

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

Man, how can you guys actually call yourselves MMO fans?

I have no doubt whatsoever that this will be one of the best single player games in a while.  But a good MMO it will not be.  Also, lol at TOR evolving the MMORPG genre.  It is not even devolving it; it is stripping MMORPG of the MMO (while keeping the subscription fees).

I really do hope you all enjoy this game for a long time - it's about time there's another KOTOR game on the market.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Originally posted by Mazin

Originally posted by tillamook

It's pretty much gonna make SWG look like a piece a shit to the people who currently love it and play it, and a lot other MMOs for that mater. It'll be like the kid with the newer and cooler bike. Develepers will be saying, WTH didn't we do that in our game.

I would hope so, SWG will be 7 years old by the time this is released.

And the people who play SWG still think it's the best game on the market xD You missed the troll posts from the current players declaring that SWG will still be better than TOR.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by DeaconX

I'm declaring it right here.  If I'm wrong I'll be wrong but I stand confident that TOR will indeed be the most incredible MMORPG ever created.

I hope you're correct but the Star Wars fan base seems to be one of the most difficult to please.......

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I'm declaring it right here.  If I'm wrong I'll be wrong but I stand confident that TOR will indeed be the most incredible MMORPG ever created.

I hope you're correct but the Star Wars fan base seems to be one of the most difficult to please.......

The Star Wars fan base, or the SWG fan base?  Nowhere close to the same thing.  In regard to the actual Star Wars fan base, those who have played KotOR seem almost universally satisfied, so that is a good sign.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730

They better make the player feel that it's a MMORPG then and not a single player game with a monthly fee AND micro transactions attached to it.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I admire your enthusiasm OP, but keep in mind the higher your hopes, the higher your disappointment will be if the game bombs. Which is why I now remain skeptical of all games releasing in the MMO industry, I prefer to be pleasantly surprised.

I wish this game all the best, it's the most promising one on the horizon but so was AoC.. and so was WAR...

O_o o_O

• redhands123redhands123 Member Posts: 179
    Originally posted by Bigdavo

I admire your enthusiasm OP, but keep in mind the higher your hopes, the higher your disappointment will be if the game bombs. Which is why I now remain skeptical of all games releasing in the MMO industry, I prefer to be pleasantly surprised.
    I wish this game all the best, it's the most promising one on the horizon but so was AoC.. and so was WAR...

This guys right, don't get too hyped up or you might lose all faith in MMORPG's..... or humanity

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

The Star Wars fan base, or the SWG fan base?  Nowhere close to the same thing.  In regard to the actual Star Wars fan base, those who have played KotOR seem almost universally satisfied, so that is a good sign.

Whoops, time to dispel one of your "signs".  I will say it, I didn't like KoToR.  No, really, started playing it, found myself in some linear story with really no freedom of movement, just follow the path and keep retrying things until you succeed (reminded me of old adventure games actually) and in very short order I stopped playing.

Which is why I remain skeptical of this title.  If it plays like its forebearer, I won't be interested.

What I want is a virtual world.  No one seems to be making them any more, they just keep making "games"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Whoops, time to dispel one of your "signs".  I will say it, I didn't like KoToR.  No, really, started playing it, found myself in some linear story with really no freedom of movement, just follow the path and keep retrying things until you succeed (reminded me of old adventure games actually) and in very short order I stopped playing.

Which is why I remain skeptical of this title.  If it plays like its forebearer, I won't be interested.

What I want is a virtual world.  No one seems to be making them any more, they just keep making "games"

I didn't like KoToR either, but for different reasons, I hate games where you control multiple characters, I want one character and thats it.

O_o o_O

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by NightBandit

Personally history says otherwise imo, I doubt this will be any better and I feel that it can not do anything different than has already been done to improve the MMO world.

Bandit.

5 years hardly counts as "history". I have a good feeling about the game but as always we'll see when it comes out or when OP starts.

My experience with Bioware games is this: it doesn't matter if you are a fan of Star Wars, fantasy or sci-fi or not, the games they make are so compelling they will make you a fan. I think that's a very good point to remember. While this game may not be the picture of what we understand a traditional MMO to be it doesn't mean that it won't do well. The most important thing about any game online or not, is does it make you want to play it?

Haven't played a Bioware game that did not get me addicted until I reached the end, and then played it again for good measure. The interesting thing about TOR is that it's a Bioware game that doesn't have an end and can be played with others very easily. If you still can't see what I'm trying to get at I urge anyone to pick up any Bioware title now if you haven't already, KOTOR, Mass Effect and Neverwinter among the best, that's NWN1 not 2.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• Sad_PandaSad_Panda Member Posts: 131

Face it: it would take a pristine game of the highest caliber, smoothly launched, and all your friends playing alongside you to replicate the feeling you got from playing your first MMO.  Assuming nobody here is an MMO virgin, lol.

I don't mind that TOR is going to be a story based, theme-park game.  I'm such a fan of SW books anyways, a good story never fails to amuse me.

Here's to hoping TOR has great quests/lore and gameplay

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

This has happened with every major MMO for the last few years and they all ended up being just same old crap. I doubt BioWare can do much better. No mather how epic the story is the actual combat has to be equally epic or this will end up like LOTRO. I'm saying only combat cause what we have seen/heard thats all there is to do. No crafting etc.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Darth_Pete

This has happened with every major MMO for the few last years and they all ended up being just same old crap. I doubt BioWare can do much better. No mather how epic the story is the actual combat has to be equally epic or this will end up like LOTRO. I'm saying only combat cause what we have seen/heard thats all there is to do. No crafting etc.

agree and dont agree. EVERY MMO cant have uber 15 button in 5second attacks/twitch aspects to them. LOTRO is just Diff. than most MMO combat,witch imo is not always a bad thing. but really dont listen to the hype,look at what there doing with the game..if that peaks your intrest than go for it.

• Gen_MayhemGen_Mayhem Member Posts: 22

Sadly for me I think this one will miss the target,  I am a real sandbox kind of player and hate being locked into a set story path. If I want that I will play a single RPG or better still read a book, MMO is about community and working for or against others and that should be a key design principle.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

hehe, you are funny :)

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Exactly. Most  fans like myself never considered SWG a true representation of Star Wars. That's why most of them left.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by DeeJay612

Originally posted by Eladi

I wish it was or will be so for the fans but I highly doubt so.

Its a story driven game whit Ionic starwarsy looks and places. It wont be a sandbox mmo it be a themepark.
    as said above by someone else, first months it be good, whoopy overhypedm then it will drop fast as people get bored fast.

Manny fanboys of now will hate the game (manny come from sandbox mmo's and expect a kotor online world.. not a kotor online themepark)

As said, Hope you are treu but I have little faith in it. I be wachining tho.

I disagree I think with an IP as deep with lore as Star Wars you shoot yourself in the foot if you fail to use some of the settings that exist within it's universe. 

You wouldn't make a game about the X-men game with no mutants in it, but about the people in the neighborhood who lives close to the X-mansion.  I think for it to begin to be all that a Star Wars game could potential be you have to have to lore and a least a few key characters and locations.

Oh the setting will be there,  you get to see lots of starwarsy lore places, but I beleve the game wil be far more like The force unleashed then a social "sandbox" mmo.  To go into swg terms, Think ROTW , defined "open"paths  quest hubs , do thing , go there. probaly several ways to finish a mission.

It will be a good ride, i have little doubt about it, Bio kinda only makes good games *grin*  but I suspect it will have verry little "open world sandbox" concepts.

II suspect it be kinda like playing Fabel2 , good story, great game. but when your done whit the main part things just get boring over time.

You do a few more quest, you check out that new sith colony they made.. you leave the game for someting else.

Doubt it be a game you play for several years. and to me thats what mmo's are about , not a long multiplayer game but a social gaming hub. thats what mmo's are afther all .. a social community like any of those websites (think hyves)  but then set into a game.  whitout the social interaction a game dies rather fast. (for a mmo) 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

OP earns the 'Most Bold Claim Ever' medal, considering how little we know about the game yet.

Around 95% of the hype for this game is based on two names; "Starwars" and "Bioware"

Maybe 5% is based on the information we recieved.

Even if the brand Bioware stands for consistent quality, I have yet to see whether SW:TOR will be anywhere close to my favorite cup of mmorpg tea. Some people on these boards seem to be unaware of the notion that games can be very good but still fail at pleasing your own specific taste.

Like Lotro; I think that Lotro is a VERY good game and I have recomended it and will keep recomending it to people, but it's not MY kind of game; the lack of excitement from the possibility of PVP in the open world had me take a run for my money after two months already, cursing the game for letting me down on that single aspect.

Same with SW:TOR; I expect it to be a kick ass game and a very solid title but realize at the same time that there is always the possibility that it won't appeal to me in the long run due to one or two critical mismatches with my own preffs.

/rant off

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

From my limited reading, it sounds to me like it will at heart be a fun single player RPG game with some interesting online functionality  - but a living breathing online universe with a community and events etc etc? Doesn't sound like it.

Still worth playing.. I love all genres. But your dream MMO? I suspect not... It may emerge as a different genre altogether.

• stillkillinstillkillin Member Posts: 221

if it went with an swg pre-cu skill based system then yes

but it's going to be star wars wow so oh well