Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally an end to the discussion. Is AoC increasing?

YES! Public anouncement from the Vice President today.

finance.yahoo.com/news/Age-of-Conan-Celebrates-One-bw-15278007.html

DURHAM, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--This week Funcom and a worldwide community of gamers celebrate the one year anniversary of the massively multiplayer online role-playing game ‘Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures’. One year after the mighty barbarian burst onto the online gaming market, shipping over 1.2 million copies around the world, Funcom is seeing a significant increase in players and new customers per month. Activity levels have risen significantly, and the communities are thriving with more and more players finding their way into the game.

Thought you guys would be interested. What boggles me is, "why havent Amazing Avery posted this already?"  ;)

Le Terrabilis

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

what boggles me is why is the web traffic steadily decreasing. I guess torrent of new players must just magicly hear about the game and never need the forums etc for any information

Notice if one had not followed the game  knew nothing else it would appear from the article that the game has over a million players and increasing . Looks like FC's propoganda mill is back in full swing at least.

I miss DAoC

• abalabal Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Originally posted by Terrabilis

Thought you guys would be interested. What boggles me is, "why havent Amazing Avery posted this already?"  ;)

Avery is busy trying to learn how to pvp.

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715
    Originally posted by Jackdog

what boggles me is why is the web traffic steadily decreasing. I guess torrent of new players must just magicly hear about the game and never need the forums etc for any information
    Notice if one had not followed the game  knew nothing else it would appear from the article that the game has over a million players and increasing . Looks like FC's propoganda mill is back in full swing at least.

FC can't win no matter what they do some folks are just going to chalk it up to propaganda and be dismissive. it's weird how this handful of people actually wants the company to fail. It's like a group of Ghouls standing below a suicidal person chanting  "jump, jump, jump!"

And I nor any rational person would think AoC has over a million players, they  sold a million units..that's what he said, that's quite different than saying we have over a million active subscribers.  As for the web traffic, it has been shown time and time again that the vast majority of MMO players never go anywhere near forums because they know they are basically cry-fest and shill hangouts. 

My Dad once told me something that made a lot of sense, concentrate on your own successes rather than others failures, because the latter is a hell of a lot more work, rarely works out and makes you look petty.

• BarteauxBarteaux Member Posts: 483

Only one thing is definate, this thread will not be the end to the discussion of the size of AoC's playerbase.

"nerf rock, paper is working as intended."

- Scissors.

Head Chop

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

As pointed out, customers <> subscribers.  If I own a small business and I have more customers walk in my store today than I did yesterday, but none of them bought anything, does it matter?

This debate won't end until either Funcom announces actual subscription numbers, and not some vague reference to customers, or they open new servers or have further merges.  I'm a recent resub and I'm not seeing the booming population the shills are talking about.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Lets see, again we need to go over this. An increase in population does NOT go hand in hand with Website traffic, no matter how you wish it to...you keep using this line, and it means nothing.

Go look at web traffic for WoW for example. Look at Quantcast and note January to February. That is a HUGE dive...must mean MILLIONS of players left?

Hey, did you know if you track traffic for EvE compared to Age of Conan, AoC has more traffic on their website? Yet, it has already been determined that EvE has more subscribers....how is that POSSIBLE?

Oh yea...because Website traffic means nothing when looking at scrips and customers.

(PS: Go look at Xbox.com on Quantcast. The machine keeps selling yet the website is near the bottom of the pile...how does that explain your "web traffic" theory?)

Try another attack method...k?

Originally posted by todeswulf

FC can't win no matter what they do some folks are just going to chalk it up to propaganda and be dismissive. it's weird how this handful of people actually wants the company to fail. It's like a group of Ghouls standing below a suicidal person chanting  "jump, jump, jump!"

And I nor any rational person would think AoC has over a million players, they  sold a million units..that's what he said, that's quite different than saying we have over a million active subscribers.  As for the web traffic, it has been shown time and time again that the vast majority of MMO players never go anywhere near forums because they know they are basically cry-fest and shill hangouts. 

My Dad once told me something that made a lot of sense, concentrate on your own successes rather than others failures, because the latter is a hell of a lot more work, rarely works out and makes you look petty.

I actually want them to succeed, but I would rather they do it the old fashioned way by making a good product. I always have had a distaste for dishonesty and BS. And he way that press release was written is just a lot of half truths and probably a good dose of plain old con artistry. I printed a copy and asked a friend  to guess how many subs AoC has now . You know what her answer was?  ....'oh about a million and a half ..maybe two million'

shipping over 1.2 million copies around the world, Funcom is seeing a significant increase in players and new customers per month. Activity levels have risen significantly, and the communities are thriving with more and more players finding their way into the game.

notice they neglected to add 1.2 million copies sold  and 1.1 million sitting on the shelf gathering dust or in the trash. See this  has been Funcom's problem since AO...they shovel out bullshit and wonder why people dislike them. They need to stop trying to emulate SOE. Start treating customers with respect and maybe they will get some respect in return.

I miss DAoC

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

How long has the free trial been around in AoC??? I remember when WAR was struggling and they opened up the 10 day trial....It wasnt too long after that they wre boasting that their playerbase (not subs) was increasing also......I hope AoC makes it....i was a big fan of Ao and dont have anything against Funcom....If anything, maybe if AoC recovers they will dedicate more resources to fixing AO......

• TerrabilisTerrabilis Member Posts: 5

I actually want them to succeed, but I would rather they do it the old fashioned way by making a good product. I always have had a distaste for dishonesty and BS. And he way that press release was written is just a lot of half truths and probably a good dose of plain old con artistry. I printed a copy and asked a friend  to guess how many subs AoC has now . You know what her answer was?  ....'oh about a million and a half ..maybe two million'

shipping over 1.2 million copies around the world, Funcom is seeing a significant increase in players and new customers per month. Activity levels have risen significantly, and the communities are thriving with more and more players finding their way into the game.

notice they neglected to add 1.2 million copies sold  and 1.1 million sitting on the shelf gathering dust or in the trash. See this  has been Funcom's problem since AO...they shovel out bullshit and wonder why people dislike them. They need to stop trying to emulate SOE. Start treating customers with respect and maybe they will get some respect in return.

Ermm, perhaps you can tell us how many times the Vice president of FC came out with a statement like this, or anybody else for that matter since the subscriber base started its decline last Aug? If I am not mistaken, the answer is NEVER. Sorry, but your concern seem a bit out of place.

Le Terrabilis

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by abal

Avery is busy trying to learn how to pvp.

Actually first I've seen of it today after a massive haul from Ikea when the wife went nuts with the credit card.

But you know there are several internet sites from Warcry, VE3d, tentonhammer and here that all had news articles about the financial reports being more "rosy". When it comes down to it, I can just log in and see myself, against arguments like; "well the game was like this and like that a year ago" or "Official Web traffic reports say fail" sometimes people just don't want to believe, these arguments just don't stand up anymore. That's why troll's visit the official boards of a game they don't play, don't want to play, don't like look of, competitive "reasons against their game of choice" for anything that can potentially be used against the game.

• ougaritougarit Member Posts: 317

"Is AoC increasing?"

no. free accounts.

Originally posted by ougarit

"Is AoC increasing?"
    no. free accounts.

Actually the wording is...."Customers are increasing"

What is a customer?

"someone who pays for goods or services"

Funcoms exact words were

"Funcom is seeing a significant increase in players and ***new customers*** per month"

Solved

Originally posted by openedge1

"Is AoC increasing?"
    no. free accounts.

What is a customer?

Funcoms exact words were

"Funcom is seeing a significant increase in players and ***new customers*** per month"

Solved

you will notice however they did not say a increase in subscriptions  anywhere. If they are bleeding veteran customers as fast or fastrer than they are getting new customer the population will still be declining or at best staying even.

I miss DAoC

"Is AoC increasing?"
    no. free accounts.

What is a customer?

Funcoms exact words were

Solved

you will notice however they did not say a increase in subscriptions  anywhere. If they are bleeding veteran customers as fast or fastrer than they are getting new customer the population will still be declining or at best staying even.

I guess that explains this quote

"The positive indications on subscriber retention from January 2009 has been reinforced and strengthened in the following months for the Age of Conan game."

Oops.

But, we were discussing customers, and not subscribers anyways.

Oh, and missed ya man!! (lol)

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

lol.. you keep this web trafic propoganda.. posted 3 times per month.. for last 6 months now.. silly

hows web trafic is helping for new subs in anyway ? 

is 20k users per month = 20 k new users.. or its same 20k users who play, just checking news..

i visited aoc vebsite maybe 2 times in 2 months i was playing aoc..

theirs account website isnt linked with aoc website.. nor forums are..

so you take this outdated flash website, with little to no use, apart to exist.. and from it you decide game is dying..

wish i had such powers..

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

You are the most correct person on this thread, friend!

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

"Is AoC increasing?"
    no. free accounts.

What is a customer?

Funcoms exact words were

Solved

I guess that explains this quote

"The positive indications on subscriber retention from January 2009 has been reinforced and strengthened in the following months for the Age of Conan game."

Oops.

But, we were discussing customers, and not subscribers anyways.

Oh, and missed ya man!! (lol)

subscription retenttion does not equal subscription increases

is it really propaganda if you can prove it? Seriously the best that can be said is that it is holding steady.

I miss DAoC

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I really don't get your point, no one in any type of business that I'm aware of is going to broadcast negative as you are suggesting....

Yeah.. Here at Burger World we sold 1000 Burgers today, but we threw away 100 and still have 25 sitting under a heating lamp, hurry down and get your lamp burnt burger today!

Originally posted by Emeraq

I really don't get your point, no one in any type of business that I'm aware of is going to broadcast negative as you are suggesting....
    Yeah.. Here at Burger World we sold 1000 Burgers today, but we threw away 100 and still have 25 sitting under a heating lamp, hurry down and get your lamp burnt burger today!

heh but burger worls is not publishing they manufactured 1125 burgers either. The way that was worded looks like they were attempting to mislead. Obviously whether deliberate or not that was the effect because my co worker could not believe after reading it theat they had 100K or less subs. She kept pointing to the 1.2 million shipped which was also clever becaus only the publisher knows how that were shipped  were actually sold.

I miss DAoC

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

shipping over 1.2 million copies around the world.

That is a great lead in to the spin, they should have shipped 4 million copies around the world, isn't like they sold that much but still makes a great lead in.

Aside from that most places that measure hype in this game point to it being pretty steady.  Perhaps it is popular in Europe, but in America people are not buying it. Plus they are projected to make less money in 3 months, blows my mind. Next we will see the executive that wrote this decided to leave Funcom to start in another position in another industry;p

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881
  • Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

Age of Conan is simply one of the most unfinished games ever. However, if you like raiding and guild PvP, this is definitely the game for you. As for me, I feel like I have claustraphobia everytime I play this game. Otherwise, it is fun and interesting.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Nice to see the BS factory is cranking out product again.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

heh but burger worls is not publishing they manufactured 1125 burgers either. The way that was worded looks like they were attempting to mislead. Obviously whether deliberate or not that was the effect because my co worker could not believe after reading it theat they had 100K or less subs. She kept pointing to the 1.2 million shipped which was also clever becaus only the publisher knows how that were shipped  were actually sold.

You are missing my point, no one is going to advertise the bad. The point of good advertisement is to accentuate the positive.

Even we as individuals want to hide our faults, and generally do not share all of the negative things about ourselves to begin with. We generally leave the dirty details till later and share them with our most loved and trusted friends/family, IF we even do that!

this would have been one of instances where it would have been better to say nothing at all. With FC's track record to me I can take it as nothing else than a attempt to pump the figures. Anyone who was not in the gameing community would come to the same conclusion as my co worker, and I can't help but think that it was not a deliberate action.

FC might not be the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree when it comes to game design but their marketing is superb even if it is a bit on the shady side. I always think of a FC dress for success as pencil thin mustaches and loud plaid sport coats. Their board meetings probably looks like a convention of door to door vacuum cleaner salesmen

I miss DAoC