Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1st person view - One of the selling points fo rme

masterbbb26masterbbb26 Member Posts: 181

I am pretty new to the "sandbox" side of MMO's. I tried Darkfall and hated it. Its hard to get immersed in a game with such horrible animation and textures. Also i dont know many worlds that have naked people running around shooting blue magic missles at each other.......... And i think immersion is one of the most important thing about a sandbox game. So i am going to try Mortal Online to see if snadbox games are really for me.

I heard alot of people complaining about it, but I think for me it is one of the selling points of the game. Now i know people say "your an idiot why the hell not have BOTH 1st person and 3rd person nubsauce!" But Im sorry i like the idea that they are not comprimising on this ascpect. I think it will help with immersion and thus be the first sandbox game that i enjoy.

Now to get use to full loot...........hopefully all the "compensating for something" gankaholics will stay with DF and i can enjoy Mortal online.

Currently Playing: Fallen Earth
Played and liked: TCOS, Vanguard, Guild Wars, DDO
Played and didn't like: CO, MO, STO, DF, AoC, WAR, WoW, EQ2, EVE, most f2p
Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, Secret World

Comments

• Focus*BankaiFocus*Bankai Member Posts: 219

I think one of the great things about 1st person and no compromise is that the ones who use 3rd person dont have a advantage in pvp. i mean zooming out 30x to see the world around you and knowing when a enemy is behind you is just retarded play style any way. i think it will add to the immersion, and it will also make your heart rate rise and give you a sense of accomplishment when that rouge tries to get in from behind and you beat him anyways. i think it will be great

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by masterbbb26

I am pretty new to the "sandbox" side of MMO's. I tried Darkfall and hated it. Its hard to get immersed in a game with such horrible animation and textures. Also i dont know many worlds that have naked people running around shooting blue magic missles at each other.......... And i think immersion is one of the most important thing about a sandbox game. So i am going to try Mortal Online to see if snadbox games are really for me.

I heard alot of people complaining about it, but I think for me it is one of the selling points of the game. Now i know people say "your an idiot why the hell not have BOTH 1st person and 3rd person nubsauce!" But Im sorry i like the idea that they are not comprimising on this ascpect. I think it will help with immersion and thus be the first sandbox game that i enjoy.

Now to get use to full loot...........hopefully all the "compensating for something" gankaholics will stay with DF and i can enjoy Mortal online.

TBH, 1st person won't the reason you enjoy MO.  If it passes the 3 "golden rules" and has decent game mechanics it will be an enjoyable experience regardless of POV.

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

The same for me. MO has everything that make me want to play this game. No instances, FPV-only, no minimaps, alot of depth, no more running around just doing quest after another, more skill in combat, hit-boxes (fantastic!), full loot, etc ... 

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I will agree, for me the inability to see around corners or behind is a favourite mechanic of mine and the one thing I felt took away from playing Planetside.

The hit boxes I can live without as I'm not sure how accurate they will actually be in the game.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

I am also going to pick up MO for the sandbox gameplay,I havent read alot into the game(did that with so many games lately and just been let down)but 1 worry I do have and the OP sort of mentioned it is,In Darkfall people were all running around naked because of the full loot,what is MO doing differently that MO players wont also be running around naked because of the full loot?

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

*My eyes are still blinking*
    At last some positive feedback on the background of all whines about fpv, full loot, and overall sandbox mechanics !

If you ever will dislike the game, just don't forget about mentioning things you have found as interesting ;)
    Or ima gonna kill ya with my safety pins xD

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

i find sword fighting from fpv very awkward :)

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Originally posted by SgtFrog

train your skills by playing DM or M&B.
    You won't regret those couple $.

--
    /thread

Originally posted by joshe

train your skills by playing DM or M&B.

You won't regret those couple $.

DM? i was thinking of getting M&B, i like the idea of being in large scale wars

• ThaBadManThaBadMan Member UncommonPosts: 23

FPV is the most realistic wiev so thats a point. If u havent played mount & blade or Oblivion in FPV try it its just so much bettter.

A wise man does not fear, a man afraid does not think.

Two little goblins out in the sun, down came a griffin.
    Then there was one.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

the thing almost all games screw up with first person views is you cant see any of yourself, now when youre just chilling and you think about it you see some hair hanging down around your eye level unless your bald, you see your nose when you look to either side, you see your arms almost all the time at least on the edges of your view, when you look down you see your entire front and legs and feet, alot of games do first person very badly where maybe you see some legs and a few you see nothing at all looking down, ild rather a well done third person then a crappy first person any day, but i do aggree a well done first person view can really draw you into a game experience.

DM?

dark messiah of might & magic
    One of the best crpg games ever created.

--
    /thread

DM?

dark messiah of might & magic

One of the best crpg games ever created.

oh i have that. bought it for like $1 from steam in a sale but have not bother to insyall it yet

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by ThaBadMan

FPV is the most realistic wiev so thats a point. If u havent played mount & blade or Oblivion in FPV try it its just so much bettter.

In some way it is (you can't see what's behind you all the time), and in others it isn't (lack of peripheral vision).  Either way, it's probably something that most people can get used to.

As a side and probably stupid question - does anyone know if "mouselooking" (being able to look in a different direction from your direction of travel) is in the game?

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

I understand the "you can't see someone behind you and that makes it more realistic" debate but, the FPV is actually a deal breaker for me with MO.  I wouldn't of minded too much if they made it like Oblivion where you could switch in and out of it, but as far as not seeing my badass character and admire my cool look I am really disappointed.  I suppose if it has everything that a good sandbox style MMO has I will be very tempted to give it a try regardless of the FPV factor, but in the end I don't see myself staying with it.  If I am going to play a FPV game it will be a FPS like the new Call of Duty Modern Warefare 2. 

My favorite view was actually the old over the head 3D of Ultima Online, but I realize almost no one would like that view anymore so I am willing to settle for the ever popular 3rd view.  Definately not 1st person though in an MMORPG, an RPG ok, but no MMORPG.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

one word. pvkii

My blog: image

Originally posted by Stellos
    I understand the "you can't see someone behind you and that makes it more realistic" debate but, the FPV is actually a deal breaker for me with MO.  I wouldn't of minded too much if they made it like Oblivion where you could switch in and out of it, but as far as not seeing my badass character and admire my cool look I am really disappointed.  I suppose if it has everything that a good sandbox style MMO has I will be very tempted to give it a try regardless of the FPV factor, but in the end I don't see myself staying with it.  If I am going to play a FPV game it will be a FPS like the new Call of Duty Modern Warefare 2. 
    My favorite view was actually the old over the head 3D of Ultima Online, but I realize almost no one would like that view anymore so I am willing to settle for the ever popular 3rd view.  Definately not 1st person though in an MMORPG, an RPG ok, but no MMORPG.

1. where did you find a statement saying that you won't be able to see your "badass character" ?
    2. do you understand the difference between FPS and FPV ? In which FPV rpg game do you have fast shooting weapons, and 1 hit kill weapons ? I've never seen a crossbow with 30 belts "ammo clip", shooting them within 3-5 secs, nor a bow acting like psg-1 or magic staff throwing grenade-type fireballs, killing 3-10 secs after pulling out the pin.

Anyway, seems clearly that this game won't fill your taste, and nobody will change core mechanics.
    A side note: plenty other fantasy rpgs based on TPV there.
    And isometric view has for example linkrealms. Seems another your "argument" about "no one would like that view" has been busted.

--
    /thread

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

I'm actually quite neutral about this thus far.

I'm sure you can see your chartacter, for instance in the inventory or otherwise. I don't think they will take away the character customization part and let everybody look like shapeless bags with armour. Mmorpgs are also about looks and how people see you (although many devs overlook this part). If you're a nice healer or badass assassin you also want to look like one.

But just not seeing yourself walking around in the world .. shouldn't be a reason not to play if the rest of the game is great.

• snowmonkysnowmonky Member Posts: 93

I'm so hyped for this game. It reminds me of Oblivion without crappy 3rd person perspective (Oblivion had awkward animations when in 3rd-person). I actually like the fact that first-person perspective will be kept. It immerses you into the game more. Besides, I'm setting up a triple monitor setup for FOV fixes. :)

www.oblinq.com/SnowmonkeysTemple/

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

FPV is going to tough for some people since they can get motion sickness when in melee. They really should of done the 2nd person point of view that GoW does that is over the shoulder. While I may not be as realistic, it does prevent the motion sickness thing from coming in and actually allows you to react to combat in a way that is more realistic because it actually utilizes the peripheral view points. Also, since DFO has already been mentioned, its like that PoV allows you to manipulate the camara to give you an unintended advantage.

Don't get me wrong, FPV isn't necessarily a bad thing, its just awkward in melee combat. But honestly, it doesn't really affect MO much because combat has been slowed down to avoid ping advantage. Don't believe me that's fine, but the combat isn't exactly fast in that game, just look at the vids. Thats not to say you can't move fast though.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Variant13Variant13 Member Posts: 83

I do prefer to have the choice of 3rd and 1st person, but I can see why the Devs want to go the 1st person only route, and it's not a game breaker for me. Like another poster said, try Dark Messiah if you want to get used to 1st person fantasy combat, that game does it very well.

Only problem I have with 1st person is that they never seem to get the peripheral vision correct.

Originally posted by xpiher
    FPV is going to tough for some people since they can get motion sickness when in melee. They really should of done the 2nd person point of view that GoW does that is over the shoulder. While I may not be as realistic, it does prevent the motion sickness thing from coming in and actually allows you to react to combat in a way that is more realistic because it actually utilizes the peripheral view points. Also, since DFO has already been mentioned, its like that PoV allows you to manipulate the camara to give you an unintended advantage.

Don't get me wrong, FPV isn't necessarily a bad thing, its just awkward in melee combat. But honestly, it doesn't really affect MO much because combat has been slowed down to avoid ping advantage. Don't believe me that's fine, but the combat isn't exactly fast in that game, just look at the vids. Thats not to say you can't move fast though.

what the fuck ? "2nd person view" doesn't lead to motion sickness ?
    Did you ever run in GOW ? I always felt sick after running.
    I hate such camera, I can see shit playing with camera over the shoulder.

From your post I understand that you are not interested in this game at all. So why do you even bother ? Why don't you try to come up with you opinion on official forums ? Scared to say >60k people that fpv sucks ? Try to do it on oblivion, DM, gothic etc. forums.
    Thinking that tpv is the only option for games is the most stupidest idea ever. Get back couple years. First RPG games were made FPV and they were one of the most successful games ever.

--
    /thread

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

i play a lot of FPS games, so i love this view, plus i am a HUGE Oblivion fan, so i like it even more.  I actually started playing it again in anticipation of this game coming out, and i reccomend others who plan on playing it to also install it for a few reasons.

gets you used to no minimap

gets you used to First person view swinging a sword and firing spells

gets you used to seeing your sword and your hands as you walk, as well as a torch, etc

as well as not actually seeing what you look like with armor unless you go into your inventory.

it's really good practice :)

• ClaesClaes Member CommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by masterbbb26

Aww, you're cute.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Originally posted by xpiher

what the fuck ? "2nd person view" doesn't lead to motion sickness ?

Did you ever run in GOW ? I always felt sick after running.

I hate such camera, I can see shit playing with camera over the shoulder.

From your post I understand that you are not interested in this game at all. So why do you even bother ? Why don't you try to come up with you opinion on official forums ? Scared to say >60k people that fpv sucks ? Try to do it on oblivion, DM, gothic etc. forums.

Thinking that tpv is the only option for games is the most stupidest idea ever. Get back couple years. First RPG games were made FPV and they were one of the most successful games ever.

I'm on the offical forums and I've stated my opinions on the offical forums. Just saying that some people will get motion sickness and dizzy from playing melee in FPV, not that I will because I don't. To avoid that, over the sholder with a transpant charracter, would solve it.

You've read my other post, but I will tell you this. I have intrest in the game as long as player housing doesn't lead to explotiable and cheap PvP/City Siege tactics. If it does, the poltical meta game will be shallow and thus I'll lose my intrest in it. The political meta game is the main reason why I'm playing DFO.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher