Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The quests! The quests! They burn my eyes!

DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Hi All

Still sounding the game out and a lot of it is fun, but the quests in this game appear to be so repetitive that even if I end up liking the game's mechanics, the quests will crush any long-term pleasure.  The number of times I've had to kill bears and boars, for example, is ridiculous.  I've had to do it a few times now, for different NPCs, and after I finally thought I'd seen the back of them, I get a quest to kill bears, boars and wolves, to bring back 5 pieces of meat from each one.  Please god - enough already!  If this keeps up my first month will be my last, by the looks of it.

Comments

• TheHistorianTheHistorian Member Posts: 30

The starter area is a bit rough.. if you can make it level 10 or so, you will see a different game.

• MinoziMinozi Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

Hi All
    Still sounding the game out and a lot of it is fun, but the quests in this game appear to be so repetitive that even if I end up liking the game's mechanics, the quests will crush any long-term pleasure.  The number of times I've had to kill bears and boars, for example, is ridiculous.  I've had to do it a few times now, for different NPCs, and after I finally thought I'd seen the back of them, I get a quest to kill bears, boars and wolves, to bring back 5 pieces of meat from each one.  Please god - enough already!  If this keeps up my first month will be my last, by the looks of it.

This is mainly done to get new players accustomed to the combat system. You have to admit it is quite different than what you are used to, and it takes some time to get to know it :)

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

The later Hoggsridge quests start to get better. That will be at level 10+. By the mid teens the quests will start to become the strongest part of the game. The quests in TCoS end up being some of the best written quests in the genre. Its ironic that they start out so weak.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Minozi

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Hi All

This is mainly done to get new players accustomed to the combat system. You have to admit it is quite different than what you are used to, and it takes some time to get to know it :)

No, the combat system is fine, and not that difficult to grasp.  I blame a quarter of a century of computer gaming, heh.  I'm glad the damn quests change, because if just ONE MORE NPC asks me to get X number of meat from a bear, boar or wolf, I'll bloody scream.

• DeathTrippDeathTripp Member UncommonPosts: 263

Yes, I'm sure the the combat is so advanced, different, and new that sending you to kill boars and bears just like every other WOW clone has done is the perfect answer for getting used to it!!! I'm sure there is a reason why the retail price is free.

-----------------------------
    Real as Reality Television!!!

I'm starting to think that people don't really *play* MMORPG's anymore. All they do now is learn enough so that they can complain about them on the internet.

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659
    Originally posted by TheHistorian

The starter area is a bit rough.. if you can make it level 10 or so, you will see a different game.

I don't think the guy was really serious, just making fun about some quests in the starter area that bear some resemblance to each other. You are not taking him serious, are you?

--
    Delanor

• lordabbadonlordabbadon Member Posts: 68

Quests is a big failure in the game, almost every one of them is grind grind grind. Just as every other mmo out there, or you have to deliver an item that takes alot of time traveling around for very little fame and a waste of time. PVP is the only thing thats good int he game, if you ever find anyone to fight.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by deathtripp

Yes, I'm sure the the combat is so advanced, different, and new that sending you to kill boars and bears just like every other WOW clone has done is the perfect answer for getting used to it!!! I'm sure there is a reason why the retail price is free.

Yes, I'm sure all those WoW clones had you actively dodging attacks too.  Boars are the easiest mobs to learn to dodge on so they obviously have you kill a bunch.  As far as it not having a retail price, that is a good thing.  The initial box price for a game can cause people to hate the game/company if they don't like the game. This way you only pay for the time you play.

Originally posted by lordabbadon
    Quests is a big failure in the game, almost every one of them is grind grind grind. Just as every other mmo out there, or you have to deliver an item that takes alot of time traveling around for very little fame and a waste of time. PVP is the only thing thats good int he game, if you ever find anyone to fight.

Ummm 90% of the quests in this game are anything but grind. Maybe you meant you do lots of quests to level? Then yes there is a bunch of quests and story behind those quests to level up which is a good thing. This isn't the new WoW/WAR quick leveling where you make max level in a week. Some quests reward better than others and the level at which you do them matters a lot. There are 15miniute quests that will net you HUGE fame and other quests that won't net you much at all. PvP is easy to find from my experience on the PvP server. Just sitting in RF Hearth and you will find action soon enough from all level ranges.

Just as every other mmo out there...

Yes, all mmo have certain things in common, but if you don't like questing and think it is just a grind you need to find another hobby.

--
    Delanor

Originally posted by Delanor

Just as every other mmo out there...

Yes, all mmo have certain things in common, but if you don't like questing and think it is just a grind you need to find another hobby.

QFMFT!

I don't understand people complaining about questing in an MMOG. Unless its a pure sandbox game, which Spellborn is not, then that's what you're gonna be doing. If the quests weren't there then it would be a MOB grind which is 1000 times more boring.

• ozy1ozy1 Member Posts: 309

to the op, I dont like 1000000 quests any more either, nor the lvl grind...

been there done that!

Bring on the proper next gen mmorpg!!!

Playing Darkfall EU1 Server

Originally posted by ozy1

Such as....? And in that game you would do what?

I've been playing CRPG's for 20 years and its been 20 years of questing and leveling up. I remember back when I was a kid thinking that I'd certainly have a flying car by now too!

• jusagamfrekjusagamfrek Member Posts: 56
    Originally posted by Aganazer

I'm starting to think that people don't really *play* MMORPG's anymore. All they do now is learn enough so that they can complain about them on the internet.

ROFLMAO!  SOOOOOO true!  This would be my sig now if I weren't the anonymous bastard that doesn't carry a sig.  I do feel the OP's pain though - the devs took the bears/boars/wolves quests to ludicrous levels (borderline plaid!).

Originally posted by jusagamfrek

ROFLMAO!  SOOOOOO true!  This would be my sig now if I weren't the anonymous bastard that doesn't carry a sig.  I do feel the OP's pain though - the devs took the bears/boars/wolves quests to ludicrous levels (borderline plaid!).

I don't think so. I personally liked those couple of easy quests that made you practice combat quite a bit. In contrast to some youngsters or people that are actually bored with mmorpg's in general, I am in no hurry to get to the end and am taking it easy. Perhaps that is why I am only at level 44 at the moment, or it is because I have several alts. I did the starter area many times and am not bothered by the fact that different quest givers send you after the same kind of mobs for different reasons, but I admit I do try to combine those quests as much as possible when leveling another alt to get out of the starter zone. So, I do agree the complaint of the OP is not total nonsense, but the above response is taking it too far.

--
    Delanor

• GtoNiseRGtoNiseR Member Posts: 9

I think all those people who whine from 'ah its too much of the same' are those people that try a game for 5 minutes and then shout OMG THIS GAME IS SO NUTS everywhere on the internet.

Spellborn was my first MMO, and I never had the thought 'oh this again' all the way up to lvl 50. I guess the people who do have played too many MMO's already and should start thinking of something else or go back to their 1337 MMO which is absolutely the best in the world and can never ever be beated by any game by default.

Give Spellborn a try, beyond lvl 10 and I'm sure you'll like it.

If you don't, then come back here and post a motivated opinion plz.

Trace

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Really since the trial is through lvl 7 people should be able to have a valid if not superior view of the gameplay in the first 7 levels...  This seems like a pretty obvious thing from a development point?  I think some of the tutorial was really good although it did seem designed for people with no experience ever playing a game.  But none the less it was exciting and had a good start in the lore.  After that it was a huge let down.  Only around lvl 9-10 when you get house quests and get into quarterstone do the quests start to get interesting.  But really at this point you have played quite a few hours and it is too late if you are only playing the trial and even at lvl 13 while the quests are good the environments and itemization aren't very good.  Environments are all the same and the itemization is such that you have probably not changed anything since you started the game.  That was the point I quit.   And again people say just stick it out to lvl 20 and it really opens up with creative environments and lots of itemization...

I really don't get why a game doesn't try to start out good and why it starts out poor and slowly improves the game play as you level....  It should be good from the beginning...

---
    Ethion

• GrenadierGrenadier Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by ethion

It should be good from the beginning...

Of course it should be good from the beginning. You're right about that. In a way it is and in another way it isn't. I really liked the newbie content, but not for the quests. I enjoyed the immersive environments and the new combat mechanics. It wasn't until I got to the teens that I realized just how well written the quests can be.

Complaining about the early quests is totaly understandable. On the other hand, quitting the game because of them when you know that they improve is something that I don't understand. But if you don't really like the combat mechanics or the environment then maybe good quest text won't be enough to keep you entertained.

Spellborn is a great game. Its the first game we have seen in a long long time that truly delivers something new and intellegent. Its sad and disappointing to see this game passed over by so many people because they took offense to one rough edge or some fiddly little issue. I guess that is human nature though.

Originally posted by ethion

I really don't get why a game doesn't try to start out good and why it starts out poor and slowly improves the game play as you level....  It should be good from the beginning...

In my opinion the game starts good (once you have done that stupid tutorial) and only gets better.

--
    Delanor

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

How is this graphics-wise?

• ozy1ozy1 Member Posts: 309

Such as....? And in that game you would do what?

I've been playing CRPG's for 20 years and its been 20 years of questing and leveling up. I remember back when I was a kid thinking that I'd certainly have a flying car by now too!

You dont have a flying car yet, where have you been!

I mean i cant be bothered to lvl up with every new mmo that comes out. I want a new design, I just wnt to play right from the get go. Not think right I need to get to lvl 50 or whatever

Playing Darkfall EU1 Server

I mean i cant be bothered to lvl up with every new mmo that comes out. I want a new design, I just wnt to play right from the get go. Not think right I need to get to lvl 50 or whatever

If leveling up is bothersome rather than enjoyable then you're not in the right genre. RPG's have ALWAYS been about character development and all forms of character development, whether they be equipment upgrades, skill upgrades, or level upgrades all do essentially the same thing.

Both adventure gaming and shooter games have very little character development. Are you hoping to play a MMOG like that? If so, then there have already been a number of games in that genre.

But to enjoy RPG's you probably shouldn't be so focused on level. Your charcter level is really just a guide to navigate you through the game's content. Its not the purpose or the destination.

Originally posted by Draccan

How is this graphics-wise?

Not cutting edge, but good enough to feel suitably impressed when you find something special. The level design has a natural and organic feeling layout without ever feeling compressed or clausterphobic. The style is too subjective to even comment on, but its stylized like WoW rather than realistic and has a darker almost Tim Burton feel to the style.

• jusagamfrekjusagamfrek Member Posts: 56

For those of you saying. "What's wrong with the early quests?  They have to teach us how to play the game,"  I invite you to play the first 15 levels of Lord of the Rings Online.  There is no comparison.  LotRO does a vastly superior job of immersing the new players, teaching them the ropes, and bringing the world to life.  And while the rest of Spellborn introduces some excellent quests and provides many new innovations, its showcase levels leave a lot to be desired, as they showcase very little of what the game has to offer and leave a bad taste in many potential players' mouths. 

For me, it's about compulsion.  From the very beginning of LotRO. the quests, the storyline, the very world itself compelled me to play a little longer, do one more quest, explore just one more nook into the wee hours.  I didn't care how fast - or even if - I was leveling.  Unfortunately, the repetitive nature of Spellborn's showcase levels were just the opposite.  It became more about leveling as fast as possible to get away from that forsaken newbie area and get to something worthwhile.

Yes, I do want the genre to evolve. No, I don't expect it to happen overnight. But I do expect developers to play other MMOs and learn from their successes and failures.   I also expect them to pay attention to their audience.  The op's comment is nothing new for this game - countless similar complaints stagnated on the beta forums for ages.  Understand that this would all be moot if these showcase levels weren't f2p - I wouldn't even bother with this $.02 rant - but because of the model, I'm afraid the devs have shot their revenue stream in the foot.  That should concern everyone - especially the fanboys.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

in lotro youre killing wolves,boars and spiders (human area)

cave claws, wolves and lynx (dwarf/elf)

Bree land: more bears and boars, wolves (old forest) bandits

ered luin: bears, boars, dwarf bandits, spiders

Lone lands: boars, goblins, craban, orcs, wargs, spiders

north downs: boars, wolves, wargs, spiders, goblins...and so on.

and you continue to kill those same wolves/boars/bears and spiders for the next 40+ levels. Ive played that game enough to know what its like (got 2 60s). The only real storyline it has are the books, the rest is a mishmash of killing 10 bears/wargs/bandits/boars depending on where you are and fedex stuff. Look at evendim and angmar for examples of poorly done fedexing.

and did you know they cut the xp it takes to get to 50? now you can rush level up in about 3 weeks, and you dnt even have to read the quests anymore so its even quicker now. Simply press accept>open map and look for the ring to find where you have to kill the next 12 bears or spiders. ive heard that excuse so many times used for lotro that its all about storyline, well it isnt. its a book chain inside some horrible grindy filler quests and plenty of grinding, be it killing 300 mobs for one trait, grinding mobs for rep items or grinding up the LI lottery or 6 dungeons for radience gear.