Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Did You Stop Playing EQ...and Would You Pick it Up Again?

Fa+eFa+e Vanguard CorrespondentMember Posts: 190

The title of the topic poses my question. 

Currently Playing: Aion
Trying Out:
Retired: The Chronicles of Spellborn, EvE, LotRo, WoW, VG, AoC, CoX, RO
Waiting on: Blade & Soul, Black Prophecy, Global Agenda, The Agency, SW:ToR, T.E.R.A.
Working On: The 5th Dimension (coming soon)

Comments

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I'm probably not the intended audience for this post, because I've quit and restarted EQ multiple times. I usually quit because I am burned out, too busy IRL, or feel like I've hit a glass ceiling with current content without joining a raiding guild.

Most recently, I resubscribed on the promise of a new server, but then it took them forever to actually get around to the voting, and I haven't heard an ETA on the new server, so I unsubscribed and am waiting for now.  I may resubscribe when summer hits and things slow down again for me.

I really was having some fun when I was playing most recently. I helped out several newly returning people with new features (such as the functions of guild lobby, checking their /claim for items they might have waiting, finding level appropriate zones in newer expansions, giving them a little plat to get restarted with), and that was fun. I also made huge, fast progress with a couple of my characters, and that was fun. My husband staring me down because I resubscribed 2 weeks before his account lapsed wasn't so fun though. 

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

I stopped playing Everquest because when I attained about level 79 I realized I was in an endless grind to (a) level-up and (b) gear-up.  It became tiresome. 

I started playing Everquest from day one, and the experience of Everquest has left with me a profound impression of possibility of genius, immersion, fun, challenge, and opportunity in MMORPGs.  Everquest was less of a game and more of a world and community online.  It was less of a goal-oriented game than a community-oriented game.  It had vision.  It had elements to it that was worthy of my time and money and commitment.  

Frankly, I agree, and support, many of the changes to Everquest.  I actually think the developers have done some great things.  I just need a "new" MMORPG --currently not subscribed to any-- with immersion and innovation (new, fascinating features).

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

Once my raid guild folded it was just a matter of time, a Warrior can't play without the very best gear. What really enraged me and caused me to quit was the gross class imbalance inherant in EQ's flawed design. Melee just plain got screwed by the devs and they suck to play, while with most kiters it doesn't really matter much what the hell you have on, or what gear you are getting, because the game has been set to easy mode. Hell WoW was harder playing a Warrior than a Druid was for me in EQ.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I left for good right after the OoW expansion.......It just felt like the game was overexpanding horribly......I'd barely even scratch the surface of one expansion and bang another was coming out......Also too many players left in 2004-5 and most of my guilds were barely alive......The game was great in its time but it felt like SOE was just trying to suck every dollar out of its customers.......I went back last year for a promo and the game was nothing like the game I knew......Players were bragging how they had 35K HP and mana and how they could solo the gods in PoP........I think alot of us just cherish the memories we had back in the early days and the game now is of no appeal to us anymore.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I left once it was impossible for people who don't raid to enjoy the game.

I don't see how anyone finds this game fun post 65.

• Omega3Omega3 Member Posts: 398
    Originally posted by Fa+e

The title of the topic poses my question. 

1st time : German/American server was impossible for a french person; non-german guilds trying to raid at Euro Times collapsed regularly. Got tired of it.

2nd time: (low Pop server, 4 months before WoW came out)  people were disgusted about how GoD and OoW sucked, guilds kept collapsing due to ego-fights between leaders, and people preferred taking an extended break before playing wow rather than sticking to EQ and it's drama-heavy guilds; the server was depleting, politics between guilds was shit and the 2 highest  kept sucking the clerics out of those progressing under... making raiding a struggle.

Very different reasons from WoW...

About coming back: what's the point? EQ was excellent up to the velious Era, and had its last shining moment during PoP, but its history now.

My addiction History:
    >> EQ1 2000-2004 - Shaman/Bard/Wizard/Monk - nolife raid-whore
    >> WoW 2004-2009 + Cataclysm for 2 months - hardcore casual
    >> Current status : done with MMO, too old for that crap.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

I resubscribe- realize I've milked all it's enjoyment and that the game is now dated, as well as expansions past Ldon simply being very much away from the game I enjoyed-then I stop subscribing.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

I'm not going to use the tried and tested "I realised it was a lvl/gear grind" excuse, all MMO's have that in some basic lvl, no escaping it really if your into MMO's.

My reasons where two-fold for quitting and returning then quitting and returning and so on and so forth over the years.

Firstly I wanted to experience new MMO's as they where trying to get some of EQ's action.

Secondly I absolutely detested the huge and inordinate amount of Downtime EQ insisted you had to have in-between fights, the first game that opened my eyes to the fact that waiting between fights was a bad thing was WoW, with it's insane out of combat regeneration and the drinks and food that coudl speed it up even further.

Downtime was my nail in the coffin.

Yes they have added in some game mechanics to alleviate the problem but it's still damn damn slow compared to the norm in most new MMO's.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I have to admit that it took me a good long while to get used to the pace of combat in EQ when I returned after playing WoW and EQ2. It seemed very, very slow. I eventually adapted to it, but I really prefer the faster pace of other games.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• buzzzxbuzzzx Member UncommonPosts: 41

I stopped playing when I couldn't get groups anymore because my Palladin was mediocre. People would ask how many hit points I had and then look elsewhere. To get better gear would mean raiding, and I didn't have the time or the ambition to try to get into a raiding guild. But it was a magical game when the casual player could still get groups.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I think it was SWG that took me away from EQ. As for a return it would not happen unless we got a new server with expansions up to but not including POP.  The only problem I might have is the massive down time and that might be a killer for me.

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762
    Originally posted by buzzzx

I stopped playing when I couldn't get groups anymore because my Palladin was mediocre. People would ask how many hit points I had and then look elsewhere. To get better gear would mean raiding, and I didn't have the time or the ambition to try to get into a raiding guild. But it was a magical game when the casual player could still get groups.

And this is the exact reason why I do not play and will be eagerly awaiting the creation and distribution of EQClassic!

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

After Luclin expansion ruined the game for me I quit. I did try it again later but they broke the game even further. I would never even try the game again now with a subscription based game with an item shop tacted on. How sleazy can you get? Also the game is broken, nothing makes sense anymore. They said the heck with game lore and through it out the window.

Took out everything that made the game unique. It is a new game now and a horrible one at that.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

I left because our small casual group was no longer able to experience content, and game focus turned more towards raiding.  I left just before the OOW expansion  was released.

• PakhetPakhet Member Posts: 5

I realize now that I never actually quit playing EQ. I just took some extended breaks.

My latest return was due to the fact that I grew tired of the triviality of City Of Heroes. A nice long grind and  you could max out the levels of a character. A little more farming and you could get some of the best equipment (so to speak). It's a fun game and I have lots of friends there, but EQ never ends. More levels, more aa's...I'll never be able to max out a  character.

One reason for my break was due to the boredom I was experiencing with my Enchanter. Truly my one SOLO class. I could solo almost anywhere that I could charm a mob. It had become quite boring. Tash, charm, weapons and haste, root park, charm another, send it in, let it almost die, break charm and nuke for kill....over and over and over.

Now with the new expansion and the advent of the Mercenaries, I can again solo with my monk and my SK....They can solo in areas with ease where my chanter would get her butt handed to her.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I stopped playing back around 2004, mainly because I had played the game inside out for 5 years, and it was time to move on.  The last 2 expansions during that year and before were kind of lackluster, so it was a good time to move on.  Of course many people left the game during that year as well, some went to play EQ2, some WoW.  Personally I played both.

I hopped around various games in the past 5 years only to get that itch to play EQ again.  After some disappointments in WAR (I loved daoc, but war just didn't last long for me), I was out of games to play so said what the heck, let's fire up EQ1 and see how it goes.

Three months ago I started back up in EQ1 after 4-5 years of being gone, 3 months later I don't regret one bit.  I'm having a great time, rarely do you find an old game which you can go back to, get that good 'ol feelings back, while at the same time stare at 5+ expansions of content that you have missed.  It felt like playing a brand new game, which is really awesome because I didn't go back to play what I played before.

So far I like the changes they've made, like the controversial mercenaries, and I've even brought my g/f and a friend who's brand new to EQ with me.  The 3 of us are having a blast playing several characters and going through content we missed.  So new content, old nostalgia, it's a good mix and I recommend everybody who's even remotely interested to try it again to go for it.  Don't listen to forums or judge the game by the free trial, because the trial content is outdated and it's nowhere what the game is like outside of it.

Anyways, good luck :D

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178

I played EQ from the start on Tallon Zek which at the time was a dark versus light  pvp server. Was great fun and we had the highest population of the pvp servers. After about 2 years $ony took over the game. One day I logged on after that and everyone was screaming about all the changes to our server without notice. They decided to change our server to team PVP and my guild was completly split up by the new "teams" so half my guild was now enemies. There was no notice to these changes. some of the guilds figured out that since you can't attack your own kind they would use them as healers invulnerable. Say you were hunting elves you would take a elf druid healer with you. At the time when I quit about 6 months after this fiasco they said it wasn't broke and they wern't gonna fix it or change it back. I have never played another game with $ony involved.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

I stopped playing EQ back in late 2003, with a few ventures back between then and now for a month or so at a time.

I miss this game DEARLY!  There was just something about it that kept you playing it regardless of the hour.  Oh yeah! It was the community!  But between SOE's arrogance and ignorance at the time and the huge time commitment required to play the game, it was with a heavy heart I had to put it down.

WoW held me for 2 years, EQ2 for about 4 months, EvE for a month, Vanguard for 5 months, WAR for about 4 months, SWG for about 5 months, and the list goes on.  EQ held me for 5 years.  NO other game had the same effect on me.

If only SOE would do a "reboot" of the game, namely keeping the original flavor, story and content, but update it to the present day MMO standards for graphics and interface, and I'd be there in a second with cash on hand!

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by Binny45

I stopped playing EQ back in late 2003, with a few ventures back between then and now for a month or so at a time.
    I miss this game DEARLY!  There was just something about it that kept you playing it regardless of the hour.  Oh yeah! It was the community!  But between SOE's arrogance and ignorance at the time and the huge time commitment required to play the game, it was with a heavy heart I had to put it down.
    WoW held me for 2 years, EQ2 for about 4 months, EvE for a month, Vanguard for 5 months, WAR for about 4 months, SWG for about 5 months, and the list goes on.  EQ held me for 5 years.  NO other game had the same effect on me.
    If only SOE would do a "reboot" of the game, namely keeping the original flavor, story and content, but update it to the present day MMO standards for graphics and interface, and I'd be there in a second with cash on hand!

I had to stop playing EQ last year due to the time commitment, and EQ2 having more features that my family enjoyed (player housing). If they were to redo the game with the same gameplay but updated graphics and more modern features I would jump back in with both feet.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Also to anybody thinking about going back to EQ1, here's a good site made by Almar.  He's a returning player who just recently went back to EQ.  He made the site to answer many newbie questions, many of which I had 3 months ago when I first went back to EQ.

www.almarsguides.com/everquest.cfm

He's got a section strictly answering some questions returning players would ask.  It's worth a look.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• RaxanRaxan Member Posts: 7

I have three accounts on EQ, and suspended them in late February 09.  I had too many other things to do and after maxing out my Main there wasn't enough to interest me.  The latest expansion SOD didn't appeal to me at all and I have to wonder whether they have run out of any really new ideas for expansions - for which they now charge $39.99 (if I recall correctly) which a bit greedy when the content doesn't justify it.

As for SOE they are not well liked by most of the players due to their arrogance and the sometimes insulting behavior by their ingame representatives. I think they are finally getting the message that there are alternative games out there now that are attracting their customers.  When I did the account cancellations, I filled out a survey form by a marketing firm gathering info on why I left the game and asking several questions about my opinion on the game and its features.  Listening to their customers is a change on SOEs part from their earlier attitudes.  I started playing this game in 2001, with a couple of intermissions.

The best part of the game is the depth of content which is so far unmatched by other MMORPGs but that may change over time.

The worst part of the game besides the standard level grinding complaints is lack of sufficient solo or even single grouping content.  Some of the desireable items and locations are only available to full raids.  This is difficult for players with limited or restrictive schedulues as most raiding guilds require you to be regularly available for raids.

EQ should provide alternative methods of obtaining access to raid level content, you may have to work harder and longer to get it if you are not in a raid but at least you would have a chance.

I will probably come back and try EQ again, but atm I am playing LOTRO which is more solo-friendly.  I looked at Starquest but at this point the game is just too clumsy and lacks sufficient documentation such that new players are confused about what to do and how to do it.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Played for 7 years or so.  Just got boring for me.

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

I quit.. mainly because my friends quit. Would I come back? Probably not, I deleted my Shadowknight nearly five years ago, and I don't know that I want to start fresh on Everquest. I enjoy Everquest II and maybe if I knew more people playing EQ, I would start anew on the game, but as a game that I would play by myself and go out of my way to meet new friends and a new guild is just something I don't want to do. I have good memories with the game, and that's how it will stay for the time being.

• imitatorimitator Member Posts: 29

I have been an on again, off again EQ player since 2003. I came in at the beginning of Planes of Power, raided extensively for awhile, and have come back going on 4 times now. This last time I quit the game to head to WAR with my EQ guild, but WAR ended up being a flop for me, so back to EQ I went. 

And my what has really changed in a period of time. 

Mercs make it possible for anyone and everyone to solo, even if they cant find a group.

The issues with experience have long been gone, but they have also provided a bell curve like scale for AAexp gain, so that when you are under 1000AA's, you get a bonus to the exp you gain, to aid you in getting your first 1k aa's quicker, getting you back in the end game as soon as possible.

Equipment is the great equalizer for doing new content, and with Defiant gear available for dirt cheap that will provide you a VERY solid base to work from, its easier than it has ever been to jump back in on any lvl character. 

The fact that you respawn with your items, and the implementation of Corpse Summoners means that you no longer have to worry about corpse runs, and with clerics almost always being near the summoners, it means that you can get back into the game and hunting again with minimal downtime, and very little penalty, especially when you compare it to how things were back in the day. 

My roommate and myself have gotten back into the game just recently, and have found a great deal of fun playing, experiencing the new content we missed, and the power increases that have allowed us to do content and things that normally required a perfect group, by ourselves, as a Mage and SK in low end group gear. Especially with healer mercenaries in the mix, you can accomplish alot of things without the massive time and people requirements that was previously a neccessity in this game. 

If you havent played this game since 08/09, I recommend giving it a try. Its change ALOT in the last few years, for the better, and I must admit that when I left for WAR I figured I would never come back, but now that I have, I couldnt be happier and more surprised at just how enjoyable this game still is. 

• deyedeye Member Posts: 2

i think I left after GoD and come back on SoD (since nov 08). I have to agree, all the changes in SoD such as mercenary, defiant gear, etc. make it a lot more enjoyable for casual player with mininum downtime. Group with RL players when get a chance, and go with Merc when couldn't find RL player. There is virtually no downtime anymore in EQ.