Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Realms: Game Launched

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Sony Online entertainment has launched Free Realms, their new MMO aimed primarily at a younger audience.

Today is the day! Free Realms is live! If you’ve been playing in the beta, then welcome back and thanks for your help! If this is your first time here: Welcome!

Starting today Free Realms is open to everyone. All you have to do is set up an account on www.FreeRealms.com , make your character and you’re in. It’s fast and easy. You can be playing in no time.

Once you create your character, you can explore a massive virtual world, learn all sorts of fun jobs, train pets, take on challenging quests, race karts (or destroy them in demolition derbies), play exciting minigames and much more. You can do all of this online with your friends!

From the sparking mountains of Snowhill to the creepy swamps of Blackspore, there is a whole world of adventure and games waiting for you! Log in today to get started.

Read more here.

Check out their launch video here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• RalsarRalsar Member UncommonPosts: 305

Shame I couldn't keep my beta character, but it's understandable. 

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Ralsar

Shame I couldn't keep my beta character, but it's understandable. 

Agreed! Oh well...at least we got *something* (in the form of an item).

• SirBongsAlotSirBongsAlot Member UncommonPosts: 76

what item you get?

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

"Thank you for you participation in the Free Realms Beta!

We wanted to notify you that the Free Realms Beta has ended and Free Realms is now live. If you created a Free Realms character during the game's Beta phase, your character is no longer available since we have removed all Beta characters in preparation for the launch of the game.

In appreciation of your participation during the Beta phase, you will be granted an exclusive Beta reward for your new character - a virtual military hat! Log in to Free Realms in order to redeem it!"

• SirBongsAlotSirBongsAlot Member UncommonPosts: 76

sweet item

• SafraSafra Member UncommonPosts: 47

It's a nice game that's perfectly suited to children, perhaps ages 8-13.

The game is not entirely free. There were many quest NPCs I ran into that were Premium Quests. Additionally not all characters are included in the free version and although there are many that can be played. some of the "coolest" are for-pay - Wizard, Medic, Warrior, Blacksmith and Archer.

The Card Games apparently require purchase and are extra beyond any monthly fee you may choose to pay.

Parent's need to understand that not everything is free and communicate well with their children about what can be purchased and what cannot. 

With that understanding the game is extremely playable from the viewpoint of how many times I've observed children doing something over and over - and loving it.

They can race cars and do demolition derbies forever. Playing the Chef Job Harvest game can take hours and hours of time, and the fighting sequences are non-bloody "get knocked out" type of actions, not getting killed, you just lose.

It may be worth $4.99 a month to parents for something that doesn't focus on battling, but has fun puzzles and games as well as an engaging world where kids can meet and chat if they do nothing else.

It's also a good place for children to learn how to game, follow quests, follow directions, etc.

The only thing that I really didn't care for was the automatic installation to my C: drive. There wasn't a choice and the forums aren't much help with the Mods responding "We're telling the devs" and "we'll know real soon now". 

Otherwise it's a pretty game for young children that  emphasizes other ways to have fun besides killing each other, and, imho, a positive move in the right direction. 

You can reach Card Duelist level 20 using only your starter deck and the cards you win along the way.   By the time you finish the questline your collection will have grown by nearly 100 cards.  From here you can continue to play any of the 30+ NPC decks available at any time as well as compete in casual games against other players.  There is a huge random factor in this TCG which tends to level the playing field a good deal.  You don't need to spend a fortune on cards to win.

It is at this point where you'll decide if you want to spend money.  You get one free booster each month if you are a member and can buy boosters at any time. 

• SafraSafra Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by Ralsar

It is at this point where you'll decide if you want to spend money.  You get one free booster each month if you are a member and can buy boosters at any time. 

Curious way to put it.

Membership IS a decision to spend money as the agreement is to spend $4.99 US a month to become a member.

It's important to get all the relevant bits in.

I think you misunderstood.  I was referring to membership and boosters as ways to get more cards once you make the decision to spend money.  I didn't mean to give the impression that either were free.