Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worlds Apart Online Beta

If this is the wrong place to post this, my apologies. I looked around but didn't see anywhere else that seemed to fit.

I'm an indie developer writing an MORPG called Worlds Apart Online.

It's in VERY early beta stage, but we need some testers just to work out some of the initial bugs.

The game is space based, and so far the only thing you can do in the game is fly between 3 planets in the solar system and fulfill cargo contracts. Not much I know, but it's a start.

- Don't expect pretty graphics (the artwork isn't done)

- The AI isn't finished, so the NPCs just fly from point A to point B and then pick a new point B

- There are no enemies, weapons, or quests yet

- There is a functional contract system with a very basic economy

What we need from you is just basic testing. Get in and play around and let us know if there are any problems, or if you run into any errors. There's a forum and a chat room on the website. If I'm in the chat room you can tell me the bug directly. If I'm not then please use the forum.

Register through the website at www.kistech.com. Then download the setup package from the download page, and install it.

When you run the game for the first time, you'll want to click on Create a Character. You'll log in with the Handle and Password you created during registration, then you'll click on the empty character slot, and choose your character's name. Once your character is successfully created you are ready to click on it and enter the game.

Thanks.

Kenny

Worlds Apart Online Team

Comments

• BellaHBellaH Member UncommonPosts: 269

You might want to post what the game has, as well as the current issues.

• KISTechKISTech Member Posts: 13

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

• BellaHBellaH Member UncommonPosts: 269

List of features, current & planned.
    Then list the current issues, and if you can their resolution dates.

Ah, I see.

Current Features

• 3D Space Flight (sub-warp for now)
    • Mouse and Keyboard Controls (Joystick control option in a few weeks)
    • Basic economy with a continuous flow of cargo transport contracts
    • NPCs fly from point A to point B (point selection is random)
    • Full feature chat system
    • Supported on lower end DirectX9.0c capable hardware

Planned Features

• Fine tuning the ship navigation so batlle will be more realistic
    • Joystick Control with Force Feedback
    • Extending the economy to react to player actions, current conditions on planets, population movements, resource availability, and market conditions.
    • Some NPCs will be extended to compete with players for contracts. Other NPCs will act as police patrolling the sector.
    • Scalable detail and shaders. So those that have the higher end equipment can get the most from their system's capabilities.
    • Widescreen monitor resolution support.
    • Multiple servers to distribute the client load.

Without giving to much away, those are the features that are planned. There is much more, but there are some things that I don't want to give away just yet.

Current issues include problems with some Vista machines, some people's machines are missing DirectX9 files that the redistributable package doesn't seem to want to install, and the Online Update feature isn't working quite right yet. (sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't)

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Kenny

Worlds Apart Online Team

• eagles12555eagles12555 Member Posts: 219

need me to test it for ya? because i'll have loads of time this weekend while i wait for my runes of magic beta to activate

Dive in..

Server Test Weekend ! ! ! !

If you haven't registered already, jump over to www.kistech.com/forums and join the discussion about the Beta Test this weekend.

We're trying to get together as many people as possible to log in and play at the same time so we can test out the server and network performance.

• dma1dma1dma1dma1 Member Posts: 82

the game sounds good. but the web page looks like crap. who ever made it should be shot

Granted, the web site was sort of "thrown" together for the beta.

Any specific issues with it, or is it just crap in general ?

• dma1dma1dma1dma1 Member Posts: 82

sorry if i sounded like dick. i think it needs updated badly thats all.

It's ok. How are we going to know something is wrong if nobody says anything.

The site is just a utility for the beta. If I were a decent artist (I'm more of a programmer) it would probably look better. We're digging into the beta right now, and focusing on gameplay. The art and nice looking stuff will come later.

Beta 5 build 22 is out.

This version has some things in it that were completely overhauled.

Please keep in mind this is an EARLY beta. It's not pretty, and there's not a lot to do yet, but we need as many testers as possible. Especially to stress test the server. We want to see just how many we can get on at a time.

• mlauzonmlauzon Member UncommonPosts: 767

Screenshots, etc..?!

--
    Michael

Please understand, this is a very early beta. Probably to early to have posted here, but without testers it's difficult to move forward.

Right now the focus is on getting the server system running, making sure the networking will handle the number of players we want per server, and getting the player movement, combat, and collision working smoothly.

There will be much more added to the gameplay once we have a stable base to build on.

- Player influenced economy using a contract system

- Exploration and Colonization of other planets

- Territorial battles

- Player controlled corporations and co-ops

- 3 races of characters to choose from

It's a dynamic game universe that is constantly in motion, and that's what will make it unique.

• mlauzonmlauzon Member UncommonPosts: 767

Originally posted by KISTech
    Please understand, this is a very early beta. Probably to early to have posted here, but without testers it's difficult to move forward.
    Right now the focus is on getting the server system running, making sure the networking will handle the number of players we want per server, and getting the player movement, combat, and collision working smoothly.
    There will be much more added to the gameplay once we have a stable base to build on.
    - Player influenced economy using a contract system
    - Exploration and Colonization of other planets
    - Territorial battles
    - Player controlled corporations and co-ops
    - 3 races of characters to choose from
    It's a dynamic game universe that is constantly in motion, and that's what will make it unique.

Then you shouldn't be calling it a Beta, what you are describing is no better than Alpha...!

--
    Michael

• tubelighttubelight Member UncommonPosts: 276

To the poster above,

Since he hasnt said he is releasing the game next week and neither does he work for SOE/AV/FC so its cool whether its a alpha or a beta. We can clearly see he needs help testing and not arguing technicalities and word usage.

On topic, I'm downloading the game will help out as much as i can :)

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by KISTech

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

You could do it how they did it in SEGA and SCEA for what they call "regression testing".  Basically generate a current bug report for Open and "Not Verified" bugs (even not verified ones from the first build).  Assign some of those to those testers who have proven themselves trustworthy enough.  Assign certain bugs to be regressed at least 25 to 50 attempts per bug.  Then have them indicate if there were able to reproduce the bug or not (or if so, how many times "xx/25 or xx/50 total attempts".  As for a control group of testers, they should concentrate on stress testing the game geometry (basically checking the games borders for collision detection issues that may lead to minor level boundary penetration, or evenworse, a memory dump caused by collision issues.

When you have people writing up bug reports, list them as step bugs with a formula for all to follow such:

FREQUENCY (xx/25 or xx/50 total attempts... this could be a field in your database, an not neccessarily part of the bug description as I list here), LOCATION (In, On, At... such as, "In the UI..."  "On the Character Creation screen..."  "At the City of 'Blah, Blah..." PREREQUISITES (use "with"... such as, "with the Options set to default..." "with the resolution setting set to "xxxx X xxxxx"  "with the Argos Armor equiped..."... basically prerequisites are conditional options by which the bug needs in order to be reproduced.  It is up to the tester to first reproduce the bug, then remove certain prerequisites not necessary for reproduction "aka, process of elimination" until the bug is narrowed down to it's bare essentials)  BUGGY STEPS (use "If" or "When" steps/actions leading up to the buggy event... basically these will be the steps prior to the bug, and steps that are necessary for the Buggy Event to occur.  I.e., "when the user-controlled character walks to Mario (NPC), and triple clicks Mario, ...." ("when" is to be used if the bug frequency is a "Once" bug)  "If the user-controlled character walks to Mario (NPC), and triple clicks Mario,...." ("if" is to be used if the conditions listed if the bug's frequency is 100%)  BUGGY EVENT ("the game freezes."  The user's character's graphics drop-out."  "The the walkway disappears and the user's character appears as if standing in mid-air.")

I hope this information helps, gl in testing. 

@tubelight & hidden1,

Thanks for that. You are correct. It's not headed out the door anytime soon, and I definately need testers.