Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Man this game looks so bad....

John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49072.html

I know it's in beta but it is meant to be released this year and by now most of the features are done and they'll just be bug fixing and addign content. Every mmorpg I played in beta like 6 months before launch never really changed and the core problems always existed throughout the games history cause the developers had no clue how to fix it.... we all know SOE's history. So don't flame me with the excuse that it's in beta.

Everything about that video just looks really really bad!

Comments

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

You mean bad as in Michael Jackson 'I'm BAAAAAD!' or bad as in a steaming crock of cack?

• LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640

I disagree with your sentiment that not a lot can be done in 6 months if you've been in any real beta. Besides the release date was planned for next year (not this year), so it's more than 6 months. However, it depends on what they decide to work on, even though they never seem to work on the plain obvious stuff that people hate.

I agree however that it looks horrible. (I think you should elaborate what you don't like either)

-People have complained about the stiff animations which are quite painful to look at. (That knockback in the video looks awkward). They said they were going to change it, but considering that's what they had in mind originally and no apparent change in months, I'm doubtful unless there continues to be more commotion on this.

- Lack of COOL powers. The coolness factor just isn't there. I think they need to ramp up on making the animations dazzling for some of these powers, which needs to go with some cool effects that the power does (which includes the amount of damage too). They can compensate for these super powers, by making the effects be stochastic events. But the point is, we should have some moments where we feel absolutely awesome and powerful.

- I hope everyone don't have the same type of powers as shown in previous demos (ex: everyone has a hold, basic attack, etc.)

- Something I hope they definitely have. And that's grouping. They need to support grouping. That means, please don't give us pickup quests that we have to run back and forth between contacts or places too much. It also means, street sweeping (i.e. - fighting enemies in the world) should be a viable alternative form of advancement . It'll be even nicer if we can just pick up generalized missions/quests as we're battling in the outside world.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Isn't that bad but....

1. You don't play the superhero here, more like Superman's and Batman's puppet.

2. Just about every trailer I have seen they constantly button mash one skill to kill someone.

It won't be that bad of a game but I am sure it will be somewhat popular because of the DC Unicverse name and nothing more.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

I have to agree with the OP, this game trailer did not inspire me at all, it looked rather bland and the overall effects rather amateurish and a bit confusing aswell.

Perhaps they can do something with the time they have left but we all know exactly how that usually works out in nearly all MMO's released recently,you wait until patch 10 or 11 to sort things out.

I wish DC well but I don't think I'l be playing this Hero game, I've got my eyes on another instead.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

There are a few things that make me agree with the original poster.  The heavy use of particle effects the look like they are trying to cover up the animations.  Many of which completely obscure character models when they impact or are initiated.  Look at how much clutter there is on the screen and there are only a few people running around. 

Most of the demos I have seen so far have a heavy focus on interacting with all the named characters in the DC universe.  Again it gives me that feeling of "oh look at this guy you can play with" instead of look at what you get to do. 

There are some cool looking features like pickup up a bus a hitting someone with it (even though the animation of it doesn't look right).  The physics are nice and super speed looks really cool as well.  The way they allow you to change power sets might be interesting and I'm curious how that impacts game balance (and if it has roots tied to the cash shop). 

I just can't shake the feeling that this is going to play more like a coin op arcade game like streetfighter than anything else. 

The rumors of the constant design team changes behind the scenes also makes me worry about this title. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

meant to be released this year

no its not - its been stated that it will launch in 2010

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/230060/expectation-of-2010-release-officially-announced.html

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722

this isn't even any where near beta yet and still in the heat of development. Also, cleaning upo the animation is something thats usually done very late in development. That being said I have liked the animation style.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Shoosh, that really looks bad. But then, it is quite a bit away from release.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

They are much better off not releasing promo stuff like this. The screenshots so far look decent, this makes the game look very mediocre and dated. I know, I know, it is not coming out until 2010.

Most people see a crappy video and don't consider, "Hey, it's not coming out until 2010 so they will most likely refine and improve much of it."   If they were smart, they'd not release any more of this hog shot until they have something appealing to show off.

wtf @ the 0:50 mark where the mob is standing on the player's head. Looks like they were just really lazy throwing this together.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• troydavidtroydavid Member Posts: 150

". . . green lantern needs food badly."

" . . .  red superman shot the food."

• stanitostanito Member Posts: 36

G4tv.com has a 3 minute or so "preview" of this game... got to say I am unimpressed.  The way that it comes off is you assist the "Iconic" characters and have similar powers to the "Iconic" characters or have same body type as the "Iconic" characters...it was annoying.  I think this game will have to do alot more than they have said to compete with more open and customizable super hero mmos... I think the game will have a market but it will be more of an action online game than a traditional MMORPG...

Just my opinion.

• ILty-CatILty-Cat Member Posts: 39

I thought it looked fine...Better than Champion. ):

Atleast the chicks don't have man bewbs.

I like the fact you can tell female from male and I thought the attacks looked good also. ):

Can't we just all get along? >D

/\*. "Pew Pew"
    | | `.
    | | *>|o

Darkfall = Epic fail.