Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO 8th Expansion

bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429

It sounds as though a lot of people here long for the feeling they had in some of the earlier games (even if not in their current incarnations.)  Has anyone heard about this recently-announced expansion to UO?  More importantly, does anyone even care?  How do you guys feel about them releasing another expansion?

www.tentonhammer.com/node/67410

Comments

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

for one it's made by mythic

2. mythic sucks these days

3 uo sucks even more these days

4. it's not even uo anymore

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Digital download only for $30. With most certainly overpowered and unbalancing skill additions so people buy the expansion and the need to nerf the new skills later on to balance the game again.

If they reworked the whole system and balanced it out with the expansion I would recommend people to try it, but with EA's track record I can just recommend to pass it as EA/Mythic show to be incompetent and unimaginative.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

As with all their expansions, the new class/race will be the most powerfull. Making most other characters pretty much useless. So you'll hafta rebuild your characters to compete. New loot will make all the old stuff useless, so players will hafta either pay millions for that 'uber sword' , or they will hafta spend countless hours grinding in the new dungeon to get a chance at some decent new loot. And the new area will become the popular hang-out and anybody who doesn't own the new expansion will pretty much be left in the dark. Think that pretty much sums up every expansion so far...so why should this one be any different.

• StymieStymie Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by talismen351

As with all their expansions, the new class/race will be the most powerfull. Making most other characters pretty much useless. So you'll hafta rebuild your characters to compete. New loot will make all the old stuff useless, so players will hafta either pay millions for that 'uber sword' , or they will hafta spend countless hours grinding in the new dungeon to get a chance at some decent new loot. And the new area will become the popular hang-out and anybody who doesn't own the new expansion will pretty much be left in the dark. Think that pretty much sums up every expansion so far...so why should this one be any different.

Can you point to any Game that this is not the situation.

The big difference is that UO's expansion digs deep into it own Mythology to add another layer to the game. This is not just another expansion to extend it's End Game like most MMO's do now. This is a storyline from the old single player game that Richard Garriott created. Stygian Abyss exsisted in Lord British's world, and gargoyles were part of that as was the land they ruled.

It is great to see that EA continues to support the Granddaddy of all MMO's. And it's fantastic to see that the average player doesn't need to spend thousands of dollars on a high end Gaming Rig to be able to play a great game. I can't wait till Stygian Abyss comes out  and look forward to delving into all the new content.

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Stymie

UO's expansion digs deep into it own Mythology to add another layer to the game. This is not just another expansion to extend it's End Game like most MMO's do now. This is a storyline from the old single player game that Richard Garriott created. Stygian Abyss exsisted in Lord British's world, and gargoyles were part of that as was the land they ruled.

Please point me to the elves in Garriot's Ultima....

• StymieStymie Member Posts: 18

EA announced on the UO Herald today they are taking app's for closed beta slots for Stygian Abyss. Sounds like the new expansion is getting closer and closer 

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by orlac

Please point me to the elves in Garriot's Ultima....

I'm getting fairly old... and it's been quite a while, but I am pretty sure I played as an elf all the way back in Ultima I, which was definitely Garriott's...

Edit - ah, yes... my memory has not failed me yet.

From the wiki: "Once this portion of creation has been completed satisfactorily, the player is given a choice of four races: Human, Elf, Dwarf and Bobbit (a hobbit-like creature)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_I

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ

for one it's made by mythic
    2. mythic sucks these days
    3 uo sucks even more these days
    4. it's not even uo anymore

Its not UO anymore?  Does that mean no more hacks and cheats?  I remember uo turning into nothing but hacked armor and weapons.  Impossible to survive without owning indestructable armor.  I stopped playing because it just got stupid boring.  No one can take on damage and everyone owns hcked killer weapons.  So, not being UO anymore?  sounds like a good thing to me..  Im sure I have missed everything else taking place all these years.  For an old game holding a decent rating  says its gotta be improved along the way.  Now dont get me wrong nothing I have said makes a speck of sense nor should it.  Comparing a video game to oatmeal and mmorpg style dining would/could never prove comfortable thinking thru grey matter and jello bisquits.  Sorry cant spell.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• King-KongKing-Kong Member Posts: 95

Well said!!!

• King-KongKing-Kong Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by Stymie

Can you point to any Game that this is not the situation.

How about the very same game...

Ultima Online The Second Age expansion....before EA took over.