Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did a Lot of People End up Paying?

Hi all,

I am very intrigued by Spellborn, and am currently making my way through the newb land in the free area.

My question is, now that the premium offer is up, how many people are actually going to pay for this game?  I like it, but I want to be able to play a game that's going to be around for a few years if I am going to invest my time in it.  Also, what is crafting like, and what are Spellborn's plans for endgame.  What is there now, and more importantly, what is in the works.  I know there was a webinar yesterday.

Thanks

Comments

• MinoziMinozi Member Posts: 49

The population isnt currently that high.. mostly due to lack of publicity, but its been increasing alot lately! (compared to before) so yeah.. its not wow/aoc/lotro but its growing. So i cant give you numbers about how many have subbed, but its a fair amount.. (and growing)

Crafting is really enjoyable in this game.. you dont have to create numerous worthless weapons to raise in ranks just to create that one special item.

The crafting is more comparable to getting your groceries and making a nice tasty dish :)

you got a list of the ingredients you need, and how many. Once you gathered them all you just throw them all together and presto! you got dinner..

In spellborn there are different ways of getting a "shopping list". Theres broken items and recipes. A cool feature is that armor or weapons that humanoid mobs are wearing (like actually weraing, and they have different variaties of sets) can be dropped. So if if you see one with a cool helmet, and kill it, theres a chance that a broken version of that item drops :)

With your broken item you go to the Forge, and for a (considerablY) small amount of money you can change it into a recipe. You get a list of resources you need to "fix" the broken item. These resources (which are alot) are dropped by both humanoid and animal mobs, you can harvest plants or hack away on rocks.

Once you got all the resources, you go back to the forge and hand them all in, push a button (pay some money) and got yourself an item :D So yeah.. i think crafting is quite fun in this game :)

Endgame:

sadly, theres not much atm.. there are.. 4 instances I think but theres not alot (though the patch released last wednesday included another batch opf activities you can do, getting keys (by killing ppl) to open a chest in which are unknown items :) )

but things are increasing ;)

Hope this helps :D

• 1-8-71-8-7 Member Posts: 74

Not me.  The game was alright, I liked the skills system and everything.  But after i heard there wasnt really any rewards or penalties for pvp I was pretty turned off.  Also theres no ..duel weild for the rogue characters....and shields are just there for looks, they don't do anything else lol.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319
    Originally posted by 1-8-7

But after i heard there wasnt really any rewards or penalties for pvp I was pretty turned off.

That's funny. They just announced the patch that does exactly that. Expect it sometime in the next few days.

And dual wield is on their short list. It was even in for a while in beta I think, but they had some animation tweaks to make.

But back on topic, I am subscribed. The game only gets better the more I play and the more I learn about the world.

Originally posted by 1-8-7

Not me.  The game was alright, I liked the skills system and everything.  But after i heard there wasnt really any rewards or penalties for pvp I was pretty turned off.  Also theres no ..duel weild for the rogue characters....and shields are just there for looks, they don't do anything else lol.

The patch released last wednesday in Europe..

Throughout the world mobs can drop you keys, keys can be looted (nothing else) through killing in pvp. The keys are used to open the Demon chest. Rewards are those keys (and I think xp aswell), penalties is loosing the keys :)

Duel wield is indeed on the shortlist

shields arent they only thing that add nothing else.. all the armor is just for the looks.

Stats can be added through sigisl though ;) (theres a sticky about it on this forum if you want to known what they are)

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Not me.  There are just too many bugs for my liking currently.

During my time in-game literally every 4 or 5 sentence in the public chat was "The are going to fix that"

I'm not even exaggerating either.

After I found out that my own spell hurt me if I attacked an enemy I had cast it on my initial thought was "Oh that's cool, you get damaged from your own spells!"  But then I found out that it wasn't supposed to do that... or "The are going to fix that." as it were.  So after that I did some research on the official forums and found TONS of posts related to a lot of bugs I personally considered game breaking.

That and the fact that the game is basically the same from beginning to end with only the location changing.

The skill deck is pretty interesting and I could see how it might be fun at higher levels creating your own unique skill deck but that alone was not enough to make me a paying customer.  Quite honestly it felt like the quality of a good F2P game.

There were some other deciding factors.  My wife did not even want to try the game because of the wonky character models so there wasn't much incentive for me to subscribe (we play games together 99% of the time).

There's also one other thing that really bothered me during my time in-game... It seems very arbitrary and something that shouldn't matter a whole lot.  But I could not get over the fact that your character's feet do not actually touch the ground but hover 2-4 inches above the ground.  I found this extremely distracting.

Having said all that, I'll probably check out the game in a year or so.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

Originally posted by Dameonk

During my time in-game literally every 4 or 5 sentence in the public chat was "The are going to fix that"
    After I found out that my own spell hurt me if I attacked an enemy I had cast it on my initial thought was "Oh that's cool, you get damaged from your own spells!"  But then I found out that it wasn't supposed to do that... or "The are going to fix that." as it were.  So after that I did some research on the official forums and found TONS of posts related to a lot of bugs I personally considered game breaking.
    That and the fact that the game is basically the same from beginning to end with only the location changing.
    The skill deck is pretty interesting and I could see how it might be fun at higher levels creating your own unique skill deck but that alone was not enough to make me a paying customer.  Quite honestly it felt like the quality of a good F2P game.
    There were some other deciding factors.  My wife did not even want to try the game because of the wonky character models so there wasn't much incentive for me to subscribe (we play games together 99% of the time).
    There's also one other thing that really bothered me during my time in-game... It seems very arbitrary and something that shouldn't matter a whole lot.  But I could not get over the fact that your character's feet do not actually touch the ground but hover 2-4 inches above the ground.  I found this extremely distracting.

Im sad you feel like this, although you do have a point. One thing i dont agree with though is that there are "alot" of bugs.. Im level 36 atm, and havent ran into anything bugged (well.. except maybe for my Pets (my bodyslot) but those arent bugged.. just not running smoothly).

Anyway, if thats how you feel, theres not much I can do about it :)

I hope you find a (for you) better game :)

• ZionnaxZionnax Member Posts: 107

I initially liked the game and subbed.  BE WARY!  I was not able to cancel my subscription after starting it.  I contacted them via the chat button in the accounts area, and the guy said "you can't do that right now, we are working on it for a future release".  They did nothing to help me cancel it, and in the end, when I said they legally had to provide an option to stop the subscription, they gave me a support email address to contact.

I don't have any issues with the game, I just thing paying right now would not be the best for me.  I would like to come back in a few months, after a bit more development time, then pick it back up.  For what you pay up front for the game, I like it a lot.  Just be careful about your subscription if you are not absolutely sure about it!

Originally posted by Zionnax

I initially liked the game and subbed.  BE WARY!  I was not able to cancel my subscription after starting it.  I contacted them via the chat button in the accounts area, and the guy said "you can't do that right now, we are working on it for a future release".  They did nothing to help me cancel it, and in the end, when I said they legally had to provide an option to stop the subscription, they gave me a support email address to contact.
    I don't have any issues with the game, I just thing paying right now would not be the best for me.  I would like to come back in a few months, after a bit more development time, then pick it back up.  For what you pay up front for the game, I like it a lot.  Just be careful about your subscription if you are not absolutely sure about it!

On which server did you play? The European or the ones from the US? (Hosted by Acclaim) because I havent really heard anything like this before! disturbing though...

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

I played for the 14 day free premium subscription time.  I will not be subscribing to this game.  While the skill deck looks promising as an inventive method of skill selection during combat, that alone is not enough to warrant a subscription, at least in my opinion.  Also, I did not like the graphics style and the character models are ... kind of freaky looking.  And, quite frankly, the aiming system in combat gave me the feel of a first person shooter.  I hate first person shooters.  Some of the quests were "go kill x boars" and some had more depth, like solving a murder in an alley behind a bar.  Too bad that when I went to arrest the suspect he was bugged.  Alas, I shall return to the last month and a half of my LotRO subscription and then seek another MMO to spend my time on.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

Originally posted by Skooma2

I played for the 14 day free premium subscription time.  I will not be subscribing to this game.  While the skill deck looks promising as an inventive method of skill selection during combat, that alone is not enough to warrant a subscription, at least in my opinion.  Also, I did not like the graphics style and the character models are ... kind of freaky looking.  And, quite frankly, the aiming system in combat gave me the feel of a first person shooter.  I hate first person shooters.  Some of the quests were "go kill x boars" and some had more depth, like solving a murder in an alley behind a bar.  Too bad that when I went to arrest the suspect he was bugged.  Alas, I shall return to the last month and a half of my LotRO subscription and then seek another MMO to spend my time on.

Just a quick question.. did you also dodge during fighting? Because most people I see starting the game just think the skilldeck and aiming is weird, but they dont use it in combination with dodging (real time dodging). Just wondering :)

Yeah the kill x quests were actually requested by the beta players, because they liked to do more with the combat. Also, with these quests you get PeP (for killing) and with the non-kiling quest, you dont :)

Too bad the guy was bugged :( (what exactely was bugged about it? Did it disappear before you killed him? because thats not a bug :D )

• masterbbb26masterbbb26 Member Posts: 181

yes you are exaggerating. I am over level 40 and i have 7 bugged quests out of hundreds. The recent patch notes fix ALL of them. So to everyone this guy IS exaggerating

Currently Playing: Fallen Earth
    Played and liked: TCOS, Vanguard, Guild Wars, DDO
    Played and didn't like: CO, MO, STO, DF, AoC, WAR, WoW, EQ2, EVE, most f2p
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, Secret World

• masterbbb26masterbbb26 Member Posts: 181

he is not bugged.......i love how people think they are so leet in game that if anything goes wrong they think its a bug lol

Currently Playing: Fallen Earth
    Played and liked: TCOS, Vanguard, Guild Wars, DDO
    Played and didn't like: CO, MO, STO, DF, AoC, WAR, WoW, EQ2, EVE, most f2p
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, Secret World

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Like with any and all MMO's,  on release they are terrible.

no content, many bugs, lag, and a whole host of other things.  Give an MMO a year of development then its usually worth playing.

Originally posted by sadeyx

Like with any and all MMO's,  on release they are terrible.
    no content, many bugs, lag, and a whole host of other things.  Give an MMO a year of development then its usually worth playing.

On the european launch of tcos, that was pretty much so yes, i give you that.. but the american release was already 4 major paches away from that launch, so I wouldnt say it doesnt have content, has loads of bugs and a whole host of other things, as you put it.

"Give an MMO a year of development then its usually worth playing."

If you treat every MMO like that, they wont even survive the first year.. they need people to play it first before they can improve it..

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Minozi

If you treat every MMO like that, they wont even survive the first year.. they need people to play it first before they can improve it..

I agree... but why should we as paying customers have to suffer?  Devs are basically releasing half done games and using us to test it for them, and complain and give feedback.  Its a shocking situation.

My comments are just mmo's in general, I've bought every major MMO release the past two years and they have all been crap, all with promises of "oh it will get better the future"

And actually, games that have been around a bit now like Lotro (which was crap to begin with) is now amazing! Vangaurd,.. awesome, Eve online brilliant..

I do know what you mean, but ive been stung too many times, and I simply wont ever buy an mmo on release, i'll give it 3/4 months and see what the feedback is.

It doesnt help that we have articles and dev blogs and reviews before they are released basically telling us that they are the most fantastic mmo's ever...   Like AoC, noone had a bad word to say about it, even MMORPG, now look at it.  What a terrible game, server mergers after a few months, staff cuts, people leaving..    Its because not one person who reviewed it told us that it was completly linear and instanced.

JGE, Aion, Champions.... all those MMO's I dont care what they say, I wont touch them for a long time.

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

I subbed, to supoprt what I think is a genuine breath of fresh air which brings so much of what I want in an MMO:

- Interesting classes

- Open world PVP

- No gear grind

- Tactics and skill much more important than items

- Intriguing story line

- Interesting take on the sci-fi fantasy theme

- Great concept with the 'houses'

- Really great combat system; with a nice element of 'twitchiness'

- Attractive graphics - in uninstanced zones

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977
    Originally posted by masterbbb26

yes you are exaggerating. I am over level 40 and i have 7 bugged quests out of hundreds. The recent patch notes fix ALL of them. So to everyone this guy IS exaggerating

He never even mentioned quests being bugged, but skills. During my playtime at least half of the quests, especially named encounters, were completely bugged. This was a patch ago, the issues might of been addressed, but it's not just quests that are bugged. You might need to pay a little more attention ingame.

Random thought - the more I think about it the more that House vs House is exactly the same as Asheron's Call 2s Kingdom vs Kingdom servers, so maybe the PVP server will be pretty interesting endgame.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319
    Originally posted by sadeyx

Originally posted by Minozi

I agree... but why should we as paying customers have to suffer?  Devs are basically releasing half done games and using us to test it for them, and complain and give feedback.  Its a shocking situation.

My comments are just mmo's in general, I've bought every major MMO release the past two years and they have all been crap, all with promises of "oh it will get better the future"

And actually, games that have been around a bit now like Lotro (which was crap to begin with) is now amazing! Vangaurd,.. awesome, Eve online brilliant..

I do know what you mean, but ive been stung too many times, and I simply wont ever buy an mmo on release, i'll give it 3/4 months and see what the feedback is.

It doesnt help that we have articles and dev blogs and reviews before they are released basically telling us that they are the most fantastic mmo's ever...   Like AoC, noone had a bad word to say about it, even MMORPG, now look at it.  What a terrible game, server mergers after a few months, staff cuts, people leaving..    Its because not one person who reviewed it told us that it was completly linear and instanced.

JGE, Aion, Champions.... all those MMO's I dont care what they say, I wont touch them for a long time.

Agreed! It seems like every new MMOG is disappointing when its released. The ones that I play a year or more after release always turn out much better and hold my interest for a lot longer. I have even gotten in the habit of not playing beta tests for very long just so I don't spoil a game.

But having said that, I see a lot more potential in Spellborn than I have in any other newly released MMOG. Even after beta testing the majority of the MMOG's coming out in 2009, I still think Spellborn has the most potential. As long as it remains the most promising looking MMOG out then I will support it with my subscription.

It looks like the majority of up coming MMOG's are trying to appeal to the mass market. In the process of doing this they are removing the need for player skill or player intelect. They dumb down the quest system so that even the laziest person can complete content. That doesn't make for the kind of community that I want in an MMOG.

• 1-8-71-8-7 Member Posts: 74

Well thats cool that there are those Keys for pvp rewards and losses.  Dunno if thats really enough for my liking though.  After I read up on it more and see what the new patches bring maybe I'll give it a second look.  My computer sucks hardcore....so if i ever got a new computer having the graphics on high insteaad of lowest possible would also make gameplay more enjoyable.   :o

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I had a billing problem i thought and got an email form here and a phone call from the Devs fixed my problem fast and i was so impressed i bought a 6 month subscription. These guys are trying hard looks to me.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

he is not bugged.......i love how people think they are so leet in game that if anything goes wrong they think its a bug lol

He was stuck in battle mode and would not respond to my clicking on him or to the 3 or 4 other people who were trying to get his attention.    But, why does it matter to you?  You like the game; so go play it.  I didn't, so I won't.  Good luck.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

He was stuck in battle mode and would not respond to my clicking on him or to the 3 or 4 other people who were trying to get his attention.    But, why does it matter to you?  You like the game; so go play it.  I didn't, so I won't.  Good luck.

Yup thats indeed (a form of) a bug.. Most likely someone attacked him (as the quest requires after talking to him) then died, and didnt return, resulting in him being stuck in combat mode.. A server maintenance would fix this though :)

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

After I found out that my own spell hurt me if I attacked an enemy I had cast it on my initial thought was "Oh that's cool, you get damaged from your own spells!"  But then I found out that it wasn't supposed to do that... or "The are going to fix that."

In some cases that's not a bug -- that's the way it works.

For example, if you cast Combustion and melee with the target (which is now on fire), then you take burn damage. Duh! You should be casting other spells or doing ranged damage unless you enjoy getting cooked.

There was an issue with another spell (don't remember which one) that allowed "burn" to get passed back and forth between player and target, but that's been fixed.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I guess I should answer the question :-) Yes, I subscribed. In fact, since I started playing TCOS,  I haven't been interested in playing any of my other MMOs. I've since cancelled WAR, Darkfall, and LOTRO.

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

nope, was too buggy and 1.04 just made it worse.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I've just cancelled my subscription, after about a week.  The combat/skill system is quite interesting, yet easy to get into, but the quests are the same old Fed-Ex and Kill X mob quests I've been seeing for the last 8 or 9 years.