Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feel like I've tried all the good games out there, did I miss one?

AllNewMMOSukAllNewMMOSuk Member Posts: 241

I'm currently in the mood for something new, hopefully with some good PvP in it (I like realm pvp but not a must), and I feel like I've tried all the decent titles out there. I don't need the game to have one of the biggest pops out there, but I do need to be able to log on and see people around. Graphics do not have to be state of the art but 3D and decent looking are prefered. I'd like some challenge and more types of objectives them mostly kill tasks/fed ex quests. Also the setting doesn't matter to me (medieval, post apocalypitic, etc).

So here is what I have tried and liked a lot:

UO/ AC / DAoC / LotRO

Here is what I've tried and it was alright:

EQ /  EQII / WoW /  AO /  DDO / WAR(barely not in the category below) / SWG

And what I've tried and not liked:

EVE / Horizons / Vanguard / Neocron / lineage II

What I'm not interested in trying at all:

Darkfall / AoC / Atlantica / anything that is based on micro transactions

So any suggestions?

Comments

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

I feel your pain, and you arent alone, there are thousands of gamers that feel just like you do. Played most everything out there, and while not all of the games were "bad" nothing really snagged you.

I call it "Homeless Gamer Syndrome" usually leads to wandering from game to game searching for something that hooks you, and usually once it does... it doesnt hook you for long.

If you are interested in a group of people who feel similarly to you on that, you might want to check out www.homelessgamers.com its a group of gamers that feel very much like that.

We dont really restrict ourselves to any particular game, and try and keep things interesting by changing it up.

We are currently split between L4D on PC, EQ2 content guild, and a pvp guild on Darkfall.

If EQ2 seems remotely interesting read this thread

If L4D or Darkfall seem interesting, then simply check out the site in my signature and go ahead and join up.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

If you haven't played Guild Wars, then you haven't tried all of the good games out there.  It has the best PvP I've seen in an MMORPG, as player skill actually matters, rather than merely level, gear, or which side has the most players in the area.  It doesn't really have RvR, though alliance battles are kind of like RvR.  As far as different types of quest objectives, there's a huge variety in what the game's PvE missions will ask you to do, much more so than in most other games.

• AllNewMMOSukAllNewMMOSuk Member Posts: 241

I've been considering Guild Wars lately, I just wasn't sure how good it would be. Two things that I enjoy are: lots of different characters so that you don't run around going hey that guy is like me and that one and that one.... Wasn't sure how much of an issue was with the 1 race and 6 class setup of guild wars. I also prefer a game that takes a long time to get to max level, unlike WoW and WoW clones which take a month or less to max out, and haven't heard which way Guild Wars goes. I know there's this trend in the industry that all players prefer quick max level and the entire game based around end game content, but I am one of those that prefers a challenging journey to max. Guild Wars has two expansions out so far? So I'm guessing there could be lots of content to do at this point.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I would say give FFXI a shot. I know it really doesn't have much in terms of pvp content, but it has great pve and has the challange of older MMO's. It can take you awhile to reach cap, but there is so much more to do then just cap IMO.

It atleast warrants a little research into it if you are really looking for another game. One thing I will say is that if you are playing on PC the controls will more then likely be foreign to you. IMO after adjusting to the controls I now find them to be excellent and comfortable. Just give it a shot and don't assume the controls will be exactly the same like all other MMO's.

• Sumo79Sumo79 Member UncommonPosts: 21

Just out of curiousity, why are you not interested in AoC?  It has good PvP seige battles and good end game content - you just need a lot of time as the seige battles and raids are time consuming.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Guild Wars.....

Originally posted by Sumo79

Just out of curiousity, why are you not interested in AoC?  It has good PvP seige battles and good end game content - you just need a lot of time as the seige battles and raids are time consuming.

Everything about AoC seems like crap. My experience with it started with preordering for the sole purpose of getting early access. Then they opened early access and closed it a couple hours later telling everyone who didn't get in, well too bad. So I wrote e-mails asking how they could possibly treat their customers like that from the start and hope to build a large player base, they simply responded well you still get the items. Who cares about those? So there is horrible first impression.

So I cancelled my preorder and waited to see what people thought of it, the reviews were over-whelmingly negative. This included several people I personally know who share similar interests in MMOs. So to this day nothing about AoC appeals to me.

• Sumo79Sumo79 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by AllNewMMOSuk

Originally posted by Sumo79

Everything about AoC seems like crap. My experience with it started with preordering for the sole purpose of getting early access. Then they opened early access and closed it a couple hours later telling everyone who didn't get in, well too bad. So I wrote e-mails asking how they could possibly treat their customers like that from the start and hope to build a large player base, they simply responded well you still get the items. Who cares about those? So there is horrible first impression.

So I cancelled my preorder and waited to see what people thought of it, the reviews were over-whelmingly negative. This included several people I personally know who share similar interests in MMOs. So to this day nothing about AoC appeals to me.

Fair enough.  Is Guild Wars still an active game?  What expansion are people playing?  Is it the GvG or PvP that are still getting people on?  Just curious since I thought it was fading out.

Ok so I tried GW and it kind of sucks that I spent money on that (bought the trilogy). Right from the start I didn't feel like it was for me, and the interface was kind of iritating. So scratch that one off the list. Any other suggestions?

• Red_JuiceRed_Juice Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by AllNewMMOSuk

Ok so I tried GW and it kind of sucks that I spent money on that (bought the trilogy). Right from the start I didn't feel like it was for me, and the interface was kind of iritating. So scratch that one off the list. Any other suggestions?

I know what you mean...I had the same first impression on guild wars as you...but kept it on my hard drive anyway...now, almost a year later and trying the game three different times at various points with three different characters...I'm really digging it and having a lot of fun with it.

Like you I'm searching for what MMO to play next. Not sure if guild wars will be the ultimate destination, but it's fun for now. Have you tried Free Realms...its a blast with lots of mini games that really make you think and lots of different things to do, and the games are challenging and engaging. Though its very much like a theme park, think Six Flags, fun to go from attraction to attraction with the group you may bring, but its rare to meet different people and enjoy the attractions with them.  That said, I've been having loads of fun with Free Realms!