Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it too late to start?

2»

Comments

• noxxnoxx Member UncommonPosts: 120

Get into an active guild....they can teach u a lot and make grouping easier......

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

Originally posted by sarahstewart

Learning in lotro is easy because it has a great tutorial and also a nice community that will help you with anything you do not understand.

Sometimes I think I must play a completely different LOTRO than everyone else...(which would also explain why the game is so empty...)

I dont know what server you play on but Landroval is anything but empty. Toons of all levels are everywhere. Check out Bree on any evening to see players of all levels. Starting the game now would not be a problem at all. There are lots of lower level toons running about. Some i assume are new players and others have re rolled after reaching the level cap.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

Originally posted by trancejeremy

Originally posted by sarahstewart

Learning in lotro is easy because it has a great tutorial and also a nice community that will help you with anything you do not understand.

Sometimes I think I must play a completely different LOTRO than everyone else...(which would also explain why the game is so empty...)

I dont know what server you play on but Landroval is anything but empty. Toons of all levels are everywhere. Check out Bree on any evening to see players of all levels. Starting the game now would not be a problem at all. There are lots of lower level toons running about. Some i assume are new players and others have re rolled after reaching the level cap.

Hehe actually he is on Landroval... he have been complaing about how awfull the community on your server is for 6 months. I wonder why he have such a hard time making friends ;)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by mvirata

OK so I have been playing this for a few weeks now and man I just really  can't get into this game.   After quitting console gaming (for the second time in my life) and buying a new PC I bought this and WAR since the prices were down.  I really wish I got this as a trial.  Well, I gave it a shot maybe I'll give it another shot in the future but right now I am liking WAR more and will stick with it, I only want to do one MMO at a time right now.  I think I just got game happy when I bought my new PC.
    I don't think this game is going to going anywhere for a looong time so I  can always resubscribe.  So all in all, a good game, not to my liking at moment, but maybe in the future. 

Probably a wise move.  Truthfully, LotR is a great game but certainly isn't for everyone and can be a bit irritating at times if you're on a less populated server or simply have trouble trying to find groups.  Plus classes in this game are a bit odd compared to what many are used to in these types of games and the combat system is rather slow compared to most games except for maybe CoH.

I've played both and over the long haul Rings has a lot more to it than War except for PvP.  LotR PvP is rather terrible and not the least bit interesting but the PvE side of Rings is one of the best currently on the market in my opinion.  War PvP is fun as hell and you get get into PvP battles from level one.  Problem with that game is that is all it has and unless things have changed even from a PvP standpoint it becomes a mess and rather stale at T4.  Decent game but could have been a lot better especially considering the creative minds behind that game.

I just resubscribed to Rings because regardless of it's faults I still think it is one of the best mmorpgs available.  Main issue I think this game had and still does have though is too many servers compared to the population playing the game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Yeah it's easy to get the basics yet there is enough complexity for you to grow. I started recently and am still enjoying it. Had no problems with learning the basics and getting groups.

• tmann50tmann50 Member UncommonPosts: 70

Heh, you must not play on Brandywine...We are way over populated...you can hear the server groaning under the weight of so many accounts and the thundering of so many pixelated feet makes the landscape shake and rattle.

• DarkRanger65DarkRanger65 Member Posts: 83

Yes the population for Brandywine is too much during the prime hours (3pm-Midnight EST).

Due to playing at off hours (9am-Noon PST) I play on Brndywine because there is a decent amount of players even at those times.

When I do play during the primetime I play on Firefoot and it works out pretty well.

MMO Played-EQ, EQ2, WOW, DDO, GW, COH, Vanguard, WAR

MMOs Playing-LOTRO

• yukumoyukumo Member Posts: 86

im having a fantastic time playing me and my buddies have worked through and the game is very nice

• cmi30cmi30 Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by yukumo

im having a fantastic time playing me and my buddies have worked through and the game is very nice

I totally agree...i returned to the game 1 month ago and i really enjoy it!!!!

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

I've recently dragged a couple of friends into the game and they both learned it and caught up to 60th with a main character in less than 2 months, so no it is not "too late" to start :)

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by njdevil

Heh, you must not play on Brandywine...We are way over populated...you can hear the server groaning under the weight of so many accounts and the thundering of so many pixelated feet makes the landscape shake and rattle.

-_-

That's one server and pretty sure most know that is the most populated server by far.  You're right about that one (and there are a few more well populated ones) but then there are other servers that are down right barren.

Again, I love the game but there are too many servers.  Don't believe me?  Try playing on one of the lesser populated ones because unless you're fortunate in who you meet there or go there with some fellow friends it sucks for grouping.  That was the reason I quit before and I've run across quite a few that gave up because of that as well.  Now I know better and it's been long enough that the game feels fresh to me so I'm back with a much wiser server choice.

A lot of new players are heading to the likes of Brandywine because they've found this out for themselves trying to play on other ones or follow enough discussions to know they'll probably be better off on the few that have good populations.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.