Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guardian, Burglar or Hunter?

DrWalnutDrWalnut Member CommonPosts: 133

I've got a 15 Dwarf Guardian, a 19 Hobbit Burglar, and a 18 Man Hunter and I can't decide which one to play! I plan to spend roughly 75% of my time soloing because of time issues but I want to be able to be wanted in groups if needed. I think all three of the mare really fun but I can only stick with one if I'm going to go all the way to 60. Any suggestions on which one to stick with? I want to play a class that isn't overplayed either. If it helps, I'm on the Brandywine server. Thanks!

Comments

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

I've played my guardian and hunter both to very near 60th....I can definately say that if you prefer to solo the Guardian is completely out. I love my guardian but he is a terrible solo character and always has been. The hunter  on the other hand is a breeze to solo with and the class was clearly designed for it. That does however mean there are a lot of hunters...also a lot of Burglars though too. I disliked playing a burglar immensely and never got one past 20th, so I can't say much there.

Since anything below 20th really isn't much of an investment, you might want to check out the Loremaster and Warden; both are very capable solo classes yet slightly less common than Hunters. (although that could be changing)

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

Delete the hunter. Nearly a third of the game players are hunter. You will have trouble getting groups to do fellowship quests. If you get to Moria, even harder to find groups who want a hunter when they got a zillion to choose from. Roll a Captain and never worry about finding groups. PLus being able to heal yourself makes soling a ton easier.

I have a 60 hunter myself, but find myself sitting out of raids due to being a hunter. Whatever you choose, have fun.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• DrWalnutDrWalnut Member CommonPosts: 133

If I rule out Hunter would you say Burglar or Guardian?

If I had only those 2 choices, prolly go with Burg for the dps and solo. I have a Guardian, a bit slow on killing mob's.

But trust me, Captain is a great class, good dps, can tank great, heal, the buffs are the best. Plus you can use pets. But I got a bit of hunter burnout and watching my friend just dominate on his Captain makes me want to steal his account.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Out of the three you have I would go with the burglar.

There are a couple hundred thousand hunters running around.

Gaurdians are good but leveling solo would probably be a massive grind. While they don't die soloing they take a while to get the kill.

Burglar, probably has the fewest numbers, so you would be unique. decent dps, can heal themselves with special moves, have ability to open conjuctions at will in fellowships, ability to take on multiple mobs once you really learn the class.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

I'm starting to lean towards Burglar now. Would it be really easy to find a group as one? I never hear LFF shouts asking for a Burglar.

• arebareb Member Posts: 144

There's probably more burglars out there than you would think (they are just stealthy hehehe).  I see lots of burgs looking for fellowships in Moria.  But having a 60 burg myself I would recommend him just because of all the cool stuff you can do.  You can solo a lot of things others can't do, and you can stealth past mobs you would otherwise have to grind.  They've also made the gambler line of traits really interesting which adds more options for attacking out of stealth, and more debuffs and dots.  They are also valuable in groups if you know what you are doing.

You wont hear much in the way for specific classes, cept for healers. The term you need to keep an eye out for is "DPS". You are a DPS'r.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

Originally posted by lugal

You wont hear much in the way for specific classes, cept for healers. The term you need to keep an eye out for is "DPS". You are a DPS'r.

Sort of... Kind of...  I and a lot of others would consider them CC more.  But by all means offer yourself to groups looking for DPS because they will often want you.

• sarahstewartsarahstewart Member Posts: 68

I play a healer and nothing really have any trouble gettting a group, I think hunters are too populate tbh.

I like burglars but as someone already said generally people do not look for burglars to be in there group even tho a burglar does have some nice support like skills.

You mentioned burglars can do some cool things, areb, can you give some examples?

Are Burglars wanted much at the end game when it comes to raiding?

Also, does stealth ever get better? It seems my char is detected far too often when stealthed. Does it get better or is there something wrong on my part?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by DrWalnut

You mentioned burglars can do some cool things, areb, can you give some examples?

Also, does stealth ever get better? It seems my char is detected far too often when stealthed. Does it get better or is there something wrong on my part?

Burglars are kinda like the CC / Utility of the group. They are able to trip combos and status effects that help out the group with power, health, and the much needed occasional damage spike. You can also get gear and deeds to help out with stealth, but in how fast you move and how hard you are to detect.

Guards are very fun in PvE. They use combos to buff themselves / generate hate / assault enemies. They are the tanks.

Hunters are basically the game's DPS. Their survivability is somewhat low, but they do a TON of damage. Only class that is capable of more damage output are champions (close-range dps fighters). Hunters are a lot of fun, just be prepared to watch yourself around those mobs.

At lvl 60 a burglar has a lot of way to stun/daze people, including Riddle (30s stun with 20m range by default), Startling Twist (8s daze), Exploit Opening (knockdown), Trip (knockdown from stealth), Exposed Throat (an attack with a 20% chance to stun), and Confound (delayed 30s stun).  There are also items crafted by weaponsmith and traits in the Gambler line that can stun as well.  There are also other survivability skills like Touch and Go (+50% evade for 30s), and Hide in Plain Sight (disappear while in combat).  These skills allow you to take on more baddies than the average class, solo things most people can't, and escape from hairy situations.
     As discussed earlier they are not often requested, but most people would prefer having 1 Loremaster or Burglar in their group.  Burglars do some unique things in group like trigger CJs.  Burg debuffs are underrated, and they have an important interrupt/induction debuff (Adle).  The most underrated skill though is traited Enrage which denies a ranged mob the ability to attack from range, they instead engage in melee combat.
    Stealth does get better.  There is a trait to improve stealth level, as well as certain cloaks and pocket items, and a legacy on Burglar tools.  There is also a trait to move faster when you finish the HIPS deed, and there is a legacy to improve stealth speed as well.  Just remember to use Distract when you need to pass close to an enemy, and to approach enemies from behind.

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

I have played 4 characters past level 50 (LM, Minstrel, Burglar, Warden), and must say that Burglars are very good to have in a group, but pretty weak as a solo class. If you get attacked by 2 orange non-sentient mobs, you will already have some trouble.

They are fun to play though.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Doesn't  matter as long as you choose Hobbit ....

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I played all these to 60.

Fun factor: 

• 1. Hunter (It's fun to kill mobs before they reach you, you have instant travel to almost all hubs in game, you've got CC to a certain degree, you've got 15% run speed buff.
    • 2. Burglar (Sneaking around is fun, you may get to places alone that others arent able to without a full group)
    • 3. Guardian (Guardian is really boring class alone, most of the skills you have are the same. In groups GRD is quite fun)

Group usability

• 1. Guardian (Eventho tanking is less and less important in Lotro every book update, guardian is still important for most of the content (not a necessity tho)
    • 2. Hunter (Lots of DPS in group. AoE Root and traps.)
    • 3. Burglar (Crap DPS, little use apart of one CC that works only on humanoids and conj' openings)

Soloability

• 1. Guardian (Lots of AoE, strong abilities that heal you or make you almost invulnerable for a short period of time. In addition with cooldown reset ability, guardians are able to solo pretty well, evetho you kill mobs slowly)
    • 2. Hunter (Fast killing, but you'll still struggle with more mobs or elite mobs. Your dps is quite lower in melee and you can't really finish most of your ranged skills if more mobs hits you)
    • 3. Burglar (Killing is extremly slow, most of your skills are useless while solo, your debuffs are too weak as well and the only thing you have is survivability from Hide in Plain Sight.)

I would recommened you to play a Guardian or a Hunter. Burglar is quite easily the worst class in game now after so many nerfs because of PvMP. Guardian if you're group oriented, hunter if you're solo oriented.

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by areb

At lvl 60 a burglar has a lot of way to stun/daze people, including Riddle (30s stun with 20m range by default), Startling Twist (8s daze), Exploit Opening (knockdown), Trip (knockdown from stealth), Exposed Throat (an attack with a 20% chance to stun), and Confound (delayed 30s stun).  There are also items crafted by weaponsmith and traits in the Gambler line that can stun as well.  There are also other survivability skills like Touch and Go (+50% evade for 30s), and Hide in Plain Sight (disappear while in combat).  These skills allow you to take on more baddies than the average class, solo things most people can't, and escape from hairy situations.
     As discussed earlier they are not often requested, but most people would prefer having 1 Loremaster or Burglar in their group.  Burglars do some unique things in group like trigger CJs.  Burg debuffs are underrated, and they have an important interrupt/induction debuff (Adle).  The most underrated skill though is traited Enrage which denies a ranged mob the ability to attack from range, they instead engage in melee combat.
    Stealth does get better.  There is a trait to improve stealth level, as well as certain cloaks and pocket items, and a legacy on Burglar tools.  There is also a trait to move faster when you finish the HIPS deed, and there is a legacy to improve stealth speed as well.  Just remember to use Distract when you need to pass close to an enemy, and to approach enemies from behind.

Sorry most of your responds are not true.

Enrage does not stop archers to shoot. Enrage makes them attack random target for their every attack. Yes it is their strongest debuffs and lots of people don't realize the potential. AoE enrage can make 6-7 elites do basically nothing to the group as all their damage is being spread randomly between all players.

Addle is definetly not game-breaking debuff. It was nerfed from 50% to 20% longer casting time turning it practically into a useless debuff

The amount of stun abilities you described are a bit illusional. In reality, riddle and twist are the two you can use. The rest of the abilities have too long cooldown or they are too situational.

To sum it up, burglar has CJ open twice every 5 mins. One messmerize ability, one good debuff (enrage) very poor DPS, almost no aggro management, unable to dispell enemy debuffs (except for poison once per minute - hunters can do that all the time), and basically they can't even use stealth in groups because if you're in stealth at the start of combat your only messmerize ability has doubled cooldown (therefore you can't even keep one mob messmerized during the fight).

There is currently no reason for groups to take a burglar over a LM. LM can dispel wounds, diseases instantly for all members (Aoe dispel), can keep two mobs messmerized (any mobs not just humanoids) the bog pet can open conjuctions almost as often as burglar, LM's can share their power with other members and drain power from mobs, LM's bog (pet) has pratically alone higher DPS than burglar and it's ranged. Plus LM's can AoE root, AoE slow, has high AoE damage, AoE 2 stun abilities, lots of single target stun spells etc etc.

REALITY CHECK

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I play a 60 "end-game" Hunter.  Honestly, I love my Hunter, he is fun to play and was easy to level solo.  However, there is a reason I don't play him much anymore and that is that I just cannot seem to finish the "end-game" with him.  There is just too much competition for the dps slot now days between Hunters and Runekeepers.  So, I will probably never get a first-age weapon and will probably never get my last two radiance (Watcher Raid) pieces.

Sure, a Hunter can get to 60 easily.  They can advance quite well in normal group instances, but come raid time it's tough to get in.  There are so many Hunters available for Watcher raids that raid leaders usually get to choose the hunters based on inspecting your equipment.  If you don't have the best stuff, you won't get in.  Go anonymous so they can't inspect you, and you won't get in.  About the only other way to get in is to lead the raid yourself or know the raid leader.

Now, since you said you like to solo, I think you'd enjoy Hunter.  If end-game raids don't interest you, or you are in a big kinship that does a lot of radiance and Vile Maw raids, then getting in may not be an issue.  But, you might also consider a Rune Keeper.  They have all the dps of a hunter, and are a little more sought after than Hunters right now.  They are kinda "flavor-of-the-month" though, so bear that in mind.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by areb

Ditto

Enrage does not stop archers to shoot. Enrage makes them attack random target for their every attack. Yes it is their strongest debuffs and lots of people don't realize the potential. AoE enrage can make 6-7 elites do basically nothing to the group as all their damage is being spread randomly between all players.

Seems you dont know that much about burglars after all... There is a trait for enrage that force ranged mobs into melee...

Addle is definetly not game-breaking debuff. It was nerfed from 50% to 20% longer casting time turning it practically into a useless debuff

It was too good and now its ok, its called balanceing skills and learning how to adapt...

The amount of stun abilities you described are a bit illusional. In reality, riddle and twist are the two you can use. The rest of the abilities have too long cooldown or they are too situational.

You need more? You dont use skills because they have long CD or are conditional?

To sum it up, burglar has CJ open twice every 5 mins. One messmerize ability, one good debuff (enrage) very poor DPS, almost no aggro management, unable to dispell enemy debuffs (except for poison once per minute - hunters can do that all the time), and basically they can't even use stealth in groups because if you're in stealth at the start of combat your only messmerize ability has doubled cooldown (therefore you can't even keep one mob messmerized during the fight).

There is currently no reason for groups to take a burglar over a LM. LM can dispel wounds, diseases instantly for all members (Aoe dispel), can keep two mobs messmerized (any mobs not just humanoids) the bog pet can open conjuctions almost as often as burglar, LM's can share their power with other members and drain power from mobs, LM's bog (pet) has pratically alone higher DPS than burglar and it's ranged. Plus LM's can AoE root, AoE slow, has high AoE damage, AoE 2 stun abilities, lots of single target stun spells etc etc.

Just the usually "They nerfed my class and now I must whinge about it and exagerate all the time"

Burglars are probably the weakest class right now and need some work but some people really needs to relax abit... And burglars are still wanted for groups because of CJs.. I have never heard anyone want to rely on the LMs pet for them and I have never seen a group that dont whant a burglar.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Papadam

Ditto
    Seems you dont know that much about burglars after all... There is a trait for enrage that force ranged mobs into melee...
     Just the usually "They nerfed my class and now I must whinge about it and exagerate all the time"
    Burglars are probably the weakest class right now and need some work but some people really needs to relax abit... And burglars are still wanted for groups because of CJs.. I have never heard anyone want to rely on the LMs pet for them and I have never seen a group that dont whant a burglar.

You are wrong again. I'm tired of this, is it that hard to google the skill before making a fool of yourself?

Trick Enrage ability does not force ranged mobs to come to melee. The skill indeed force them to change target randomly each tick and they might run into melee most of the time, but it's not the prime function of the skill. This is the skill description:

Trick Enrage: You enrage your foe, causing him to flail around at any target he considers a threat. You can only have one Trick on a target at once.

Target will attack enemies at random

Adds 5.0% to Ranged Vulnerability

Will break a target out of being Dazed. 

Notice the description in yellow, because that's what it really does. It's quite surprising you never noticed a ranged mob keep shooting even with enrage at a random target, because it happens quite often. You probably meant Blind Fury -> which increases a chance that the mob will target you on melee. The prime function still remains -> the mob keeps attacking random targets.

Addle is useless, 20% is not worthy of one global cooldown unless you're the puller or have enough time to use it during a pull.

Situational stuns are quite useless as well. Most of time when you need to stun things is because they are casting something and you must stun it immediately within a second or two. Twist requires a trick debuff which is removed by using it, and riddle has 30s or 1m cooldown.

Burglar is not my main and I don't whine. It is true that I'm a bit pissed on Turbine because they said they will never balance things out for PvmP and that's what they did with burglar turning him into underpowered and the weakest class in game.

REALITY CHECK

You are wrong again. I'm tired of this, is it that hard to google the skill before making a fool of yourself?
    Trick Enrage ability does not force ranged mobs to come to melee. The skill indeed force them to change target randomly each tick and they might run into melee most of the time, but it's not the prime function of the skill. This is the skill description:
    Trick Enrage: You enrage your foe, causing him to flail around at any target he considers a threat. You can only have one Trick on a target at once.

Notice the description in yellow, because that's what it really does. It's quite surprising you never noticed a ranged mob keep shooting even with enrage at a random target, because it happens quite often. You probably meant Blind Fury -> which increases a chance that the mob will target you on melee. The prime function still remains -> the mob keeps attacking random targets.
    Addle is useless, 20% is not worthy of one global cooldown unless you're the puller or have enough time to use it during a pull.
    Situational stuns are quite useless as well. Most of time when you need to stun things is because they are casting something and you must stun it immediately within a second or two. Twist requires a trick debuff which is removed by using it, and riddle has 30s or 1m cooldown.
    Burglar is not my main and I don't whine. It is true that I'm a bit pissed on Turbine because they said they will never balance things out for PvmP and that's what they did with burglar turning him into underpowered and the weakest class in game.

"Blind Fury - When you enrage your foes, they are likely to engage you in melee combat." This is the trait I was talking about.. Try google next time ;)

You actually believe that PvMP have anything to do with burglars being weak?? lol

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

"Blind Fury - When you enrage your foes, they are likely to engage you in melee combat." This is the trait I was talking about.. Try google next time ;)

You actually believe that PvMP have anything to do with burglars being weak?? lol

I quite clearly said you probably meant Blind Fury, which is a trait for enrage.

And if you would read my post carefully, the ability still doesn't ensure the mob will attack you on melee, but it will ensure the mob will attack random targets. Enrage function is agro randomizer. And I don't need google for that, I have almost 2 months played on Burglar eventho it's not my main.

REALITY CHECK

I quite clearly said you probably meant Blind Fury, which is a trait for enrage.

And if you would read my post carefully, the ability still doesn't ensure the mob will attack you on melee, but it will ensure the mob will attack random targets. Enrage function is agro randomizer. And I don't need google for that, I have almost 2 months played on Burglar eventho it's not my main.

This is what you said:

"Enrage does not stop archers to shoot. Enrage makes them attack random target for their every attack. Yes it is their strongest debuffs and lots of people don't realize the potential. AoE enrage can make 6-7 elites do basically nothing to the group as all their damage is being spread randomly between all players."

This was my answer:

"There is a trait for enrage that force ranged mobs into melee..."

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

You have to understand, it does not force them and it's not the prime function of it.

Their attack is at random target - enrage. Blind fury trait for enrage just increases the chance for them to choose you as a target (ie in full group instead of one to five it's maybe more like two to five and increases a change that it will engage you on melee. The mobs might still end up shooting at you or at any other random target) You can't rely on that, and I never met a burglar who would use it such a way. Enrage is used mostly on mobs attacking healers or not under tank's control or in groups with no tanks.

I played with Blind Fury slotted before book 7. I used enrage on all non-messed ranged mobs in dungeons so they don't shoot the healers but instead shoot a random target. And in almost all cases, they kept shooting. The chance that they ran in melee was minimal. If you played a burglar after book 7 in groups then the explanation for the difference in our opinion could be in some change (which wasn't mentioned in patch notes). But if it wasn't changed, then I just suppose you never really played Burglar or used enrage to see its effect.

REALITY CHECK

You have to understand, it does not force them and it's not the prime function of it.
    Their attack is at random target - enrage. Blind fury trait for enrage just increases the chance for them to choose you as a target (ie in full group instead of one to five it's maybe more like two to five and increases a change that it will engage you on melee. The mobs might still end up shooting at you or at any other random target) You can't rely on that, and I never met a burglar who would use it such a way. Enrage is used mostly on mobs attacking healers or not under tank's control or in groups with no tanks.
     I played with Blind Fury slotted before book 7. I used enrage on all non-messed ranged mobs in dungeons so they don't shoot the healers but instead shoot a random target. And in almost all cases, they kept shooting. The chance that they ran in melee was minimal. If you played a burglar after book 7 in groups then the explanation for the difference in our opinion could be in some change (which wasn't mentioned in patch notes). But if it wasn't changed, then I just suppose you never really played Burglar or used enrage to see its effect.

Seems like we've just have had different experince with the Enrage skill. Ive found teh Blind fury trait being an excellent tool in raids/instances but never bother much with the untraited version, also when playing with other burglars. (dont think book 7 changed anything)

Sorry for derailing the thread :)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd