Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Medium game PC Build - looking for suggestions on CPU+Mobo

AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Hey guys,

I am fixing up making a new PC for the Father in Law.

He is upgrading from an old Dell dimension 8400 (P4 2.8, 250gb HD, 350W PSU, x1650 Pro ATI, rest regular dell propriety crap)

I chucked in a 8800GT rated for 400W, but the dell PSU max does 425w and has been ok with it. (sometimes blue screen as I think things are on the way out) I actually thought about just getting a PC power & Cooling dell replacement 500W psu, but the whole system is too old, HD noisy, heat issues and so on.

He is a big LOTRO nut, and likes games like titan quest, civ and such like. He also downloads lots of movies and plays around in Photoshop CS4.

So far I just ordered today in Canadian $$:

What's coming:

Antec 300 case ( $60 CAD)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB  ($78 CAD)

Corsair TX 750W ( $108 CAD)

Samsung SH-S223F Black 22X DVD ( $19 CAD)

miscellaneous zip ties, sata cables and so on

What we have already:

23" Samsung SyncMaster 2343BWX 23in Widescreen LCD Res =  2048 x 1152 native

2 x 8800GT OC

4gb DDR2 800 RAM

Windows XP 32bit CD's with spare license's ( might get him vista 64-bit on the cheap)

What we need:

1 x Motherboard

1 x CPU

The catch is:

Cost :  Don't need to go mad - no latest core i7 or AMD latest high end CPU's / Mobo + doesn't have to be quad core.

A Motherboard that will do SLI (preferred 16x16 speeds PCI-E) "Preferably" if not 1xPCI-E x16 gen 2 is good enough. So Nvidia board. So maybe cheaper board but better CPU.

I don't mind either AMD or Intel.

Remember I will be buying in Canadian $$  ( places like newegg.ca /  NCIX.com for example are handy )

Prefer no rebate deals.

Some overclocking ability but not a major issue if not.

For example I was thinking

CPU - E7400 / Decent dual core AMD / Cheap quad AMD / or even tri-core

Mobo - some 750 model

Any suggestions?

Thanks for having a look regardless.

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

What's the matter, haven't got him hooked on AoC yet? ;)

Just kidding, but as I'm an AMD fanbois I'm suggesting your father in law join the holy crusade against the Infitel!

CPU: AMD X3 720 BE

Motherboard: Asus 790GX AM3 or Asus 780 AM2+

The AM2+ motherboard is cheaper and you can use your present DDR2 RAM whereas with the AM3 motherboard you'd have to purchase DDR3. Also if you're going with the AM2+ you might want to consider an X2 7750 BE half the price of the X3 and still a fast and easily overclockable chip, meaning you get the motherboard and CPU for less than the X3 CPU!

I've got the prices in GBP but electronics are cheaper in North America. One other thing the X3 720 can be run on either an AM2 or AM3 board, but the X2 cannot fit into an AM3 socket. Always remember though,

Avery: "what is best in building a rig?"

Random Intel fanbois: " The front side bus, with the memory controller on the motherboard, the failure to boot at cold temperatures on your arm and the whore i7 at your side."

Avery: "NO! This is wrong ...... Agricola, what is best in building a rig?"

Agricola: "To crush the Infitels, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of the whore i7 fanbois!"

Avery: "YES! This is good!"

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Dreadknot357Dreadknot357 Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Hey guys,
    I am fixing up making a new PC for the Father in Law.
    He is upgrading from an old Dell dimension 8400 (P4 2.8, 250gb HD, 350W PSU, x1650 Pro ATI, rest regular dell propriety crap)
    I chucked in a 8800GT rated for 400W, but the dell PSU max does 425w and has been ok with it. (sometimes blue screen as I think things are on the way out) I actually thought about just getting a PC power & Cooling dell replacement 500W psu, but the whole system is too old, HD noisy, heat issues and so on.
    He is a big LOTRO nut, and likes games like titan quest, civ and such like. He also downloads lots of movies and plays around in Photoshop CS4.
    So far I just ordered today in Canadian $$:

What's coming:
    Antec 300 case ( $60 CAD)
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB  ($78 CAD)

Corsair TX 750W ( $108 CAD)
    Samsung SH-S223F Black 22X DVD ( $19 CAD)
    miscellaneous zip ties, sata cables and so on

What we have already:
    23" Samsung SyncMaster 2343BWX 23in Widescreen LCD Res =  2048 x 1152 native
    2 x 8800GT OC
    4gb DDR2 800 RAM
    Windows XP 32bit CD's with spare license's ( might get him vista 64-bit on the cheap)

What we need:
    1 x Motherboard
    1 x CPU

The catch is:
    Cost :  Don't need to go mad - no latest core i7 or AMD latest high end CPU's / Mobo + doesn't have to be quad core.
    A Motherboard that will do SLI (preferred 16x16 speeds PCI-E) "Preferably" if not 1xPCI-E x16 gen 2 is good enough. So Nvidia board. So maybe cheaper board but better CPU.
    I don't mind either AMD or Intel.
    Remember I will be buying in Canadian $$  ( places like newegg.ca /  NCIX.com for example are handy )
    Prefer no rebate deals.
    Some overclocking ability but not a major issue if not.

For example I was thinking
    CPU - E7400 / Decent dual core AMD / Cheap quad AMD / or even tri-core
    Mobo - some 750 model

Any suggestions?
    Thanks for having a look regardless.

go with the EVGA 750i  and the E8400   i built one for my lady  and  that sys flys...it has Bios one touch OC abilty  (just push the FSB to OC)  it will go to 3.8 on air. 

last time i checked  EVGA had them for $120  that was 2 months ago   and going lower than a E8400  is pointless now.

"Beauty is only is only skin deep..." said the AMD/ATI fan. "Blah..Thats just what ugly people say..." said the Intel/Nvidia fan. You want price / performance, use the dollar menu..

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Hey just an update I went out this afternoon and priced matched a few things at local store.

Picked up:

Asus: M3N72-D motherboard for $129

AMD Phenom X4 9950 for $130

I also got a copy of Vista 64bit OEM too with a gift card forgot had.

Everything else will come in the next few days, I'll whack it together as run some tests.

Thanks for the advice, with the new AMD chips out everything else went dirt cheap up here in Canada.

• Alex_MacenAlex_Macen Member Posts: 21

May I suggest the new Newegg Canada? Newegg is an excellent source of computer hardware, software, and other equipment (tons, really.) that all ships for cheap, and is much cheaper than retail, for retail items. The new Newegg Canada site should be opening soon (if not already)

http://www.newegg.ca

Oh by the way, newegg is for custom PC building, which is really the only way to go.

Alex Macen,

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I would go for just an Intel core2duo, somthing from 2.66 to 3.0. Then a MSI or Gigabyte MB to it.

Im not too found of AMD because they allways had heat problems and I like to clock up m hardware.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Alex_Macen

May I suggest the new Newegg Canada? Newegg is an excellent source of computer hardware, software, and other equipment (tons, really.) that all ships for cheap, and is much cheaper than retail, for retail items. The new Newegg Canada site should be opening soon (if not already)

Oh by the way, newegg is for custom PC building, which is really the only way to go.

Oh forsure I shop there a bit.

Mainly for Canadians one of the best places is www.ncix.com they have a sale on every Wednesday where you often find things cheaper than our American $$ counterparts at places like newegg.com.

I use, ncix.com, memoryexpress.com and newegg.ca  - I used to use Tigerdirect.ca but had too many issues with them in the past.

From all the things I purchased over the past week I saved myself around $400 of the regular pricing at retail. Had free shipping, free insurance on the shipping, bonus games, and bits and pieces thrown in too.

With the economic climate the way it is here in N.America everyone wants your $$.

I am good at negotiating prices too as I work in account retention :P

• Alex_MacenAlex_Macen Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by Alex_Macen

Oh forsure I shop there a bit.

Mainly for Canadians one of the best places is www.ncix.com they have a sale on every Wednesday where you often find things cheaper than our American $$ counterparts at places like newegg.com.

I use, ncix.com, memoryexpress.com and newegg.ca  - I used to use Tigerdirect.ca but had too many issues with them in the past.

From all the things I purchased over the past week I saved myself around $400 of the regular pricing at retail. Had free shipping, free insurance on the shipping, bonus games, and bits and pieces thrown in too.

With the economic climate the way it is here in N.America everyone wants your $$.

I am good at negotiating prices too as I work in account retention :P

I too am a former user of Tigerdirect, and ZipZoomFly (When it was known as GoogleGear, can you guess why they changed their name?) but I had issues on many occasions. I exclusively use Newegg, Ebay, and BestBuy now.

Alex Macen,

Hey just an update I went out this afternoon and priced matched a few things at local store.
    Picked up:
    Everything else will come in the next few days, I'll whack it together as run some tests.
    Thanks for the advice, with the new AMD chips out everything else went dirt cheap up here in Canada.

That's a really good price for the proccessor, although electronics tend to be alot cheaper in North America. I'm glad you didn't stray down the path of the Infitel as so many misguided MMORPG gamers have in the past. The whore i7 has tempted many and they have succumb, but remain strong and don't surrender to weakness!

Agricola: "Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky, but AMD is your god. AMD, and he lives in the earth. Once Infitels lived in the earth, Avery, and in the darkness of chaos, they fooled AMD, and they took from him the enigma of true multicore design. AMD was angered, and the earth shook, and fire and wind struck down these Infitels, and they threw their Core Duos into the waters. But in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of true multicore design and left it on the battlefield, and we who found it. We are just men, not gods, not Infitels, just men. And the secret of true multicore design has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Avery, you must learn its discipline, for no one, no one in this world can you trust, not men, not women, not beasts... This you can trust."  [points to his AMD CPU]

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Picked up:

That's a really good price for the proccessor, although electronics tend to be alot cheaper in North America. I'm glad you didn't stray down the path of the Infitel as so many misguided MMORPG gamers have in the past. The whore i7 has tempted many and they have succumb, but remain strong and don't surrender to weakness!

Agricola: "Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky, but AMD is your god. AMD, and he lives in the earth. Once Infitels lived in the earth, Avery, and in the darkness of chaos, they fooled AMD, and they took from him the enigma of true multicore design. AMD was angered, and the earth shook, and fire and wind struck down these Infitels, and they threw their Core Duos into the waters. But in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of true multicore design and left it on the battlefield, and we who found it. We are just men, not gods, not Infitels, just men. And the secret of true multicore design has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Avery, you must learn its discipline, for no one, no one in this world can you trust, not men, not women, not beasts... This you can trust."  [points to his AMD CPU]

You must be on DRUGS!

Originally posted by Sir_Drip

Picked up:

You must be on DRUGS!

Did someone say drugs?

Agricola: "How about two servers coming together over a black CPU? A magnificent processor!"

PC Vendor: "The only servers I know of are those of Infitel and his cursed Whore i7s. Their evil has spread to every city. Two or three years ago it was just another server cult, now... they're everywhere. It is said that they are deceivers... they overcharge people on the motherboard... I know nothing."

[peddler opens a jar and offers it to Agricola and Sir Drip]

PC Vendor: "Hey... Black Edition... AMD... the best!"

Agricola: "This had better not be PentiumD!"

PC Vendor: " Would I sell Pentium to a gamer such as you?"

Ahhh it's taking me back to my AoC fanbois days, those were good times :)

CS Lewis

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

(I think Agricola1 is saying that AMD cpu's are good.)

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• Dreadknot357Dreadknot357 Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Orphes

I think the "drugs" comment has to do with, a 33 year old man talking in 3 person to himself.  About a made up world in his head  and posting that shit online..... And  AMD is Good.

"Beauty is only is only skin deep..." said the AMD/ATI fan. "Blah..Thats just what ugly people say..." said the Intel/Nvidia fan. You want price / performance, use the dollar menu..

Originally posted by Dreadknot357

Originally posted by Orphes

I think the "drugs" comment has to do with, a 33 year old man talking in 3 person to himself.  About a made up world in his head  and posting that shit online..... And  AMD is Good.

I made you say AMD is good! Numan told me you'd do it muah hah hah hah, heyeeeha hawa heee muah hah haaaaahhhhhh!

CS Lewis

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by Sir_Drip

Picked up:

You must be on DRUGS!

Did someone say drugs?

Agricola: "How about two servers coming together over a black CPU? A magnificent processor!"

PC Vendor: "The only servers I know of are those of Infitel and his cursed Whore i7s. Their evil has spread to every city. Two or three years ago it was just another server cult, now... they're everywhere. It is said that they are deceivers... they overcharge people on the motherboard... I know nothing."

[peddler opens a jar and offers it to Agricola and Sir Drip]

PC Vendor: "Hey... Black Edition... AMD... the best!"

Agricola: "This had better not be PentiumD!"

PC Vendor: " Would I sell Pentium to a gamer such as you?"

Ahhh it's taking me back to my AoC fanbois days, those were good times :)

Yep...He is seeing pritty colors!

Hey..."Gary Numan" Isn't  that the 80's one hit wonder and almost a singer? (Cars) Shouldn't that read, THE FRUITCAKE, THE SONG, THE TOOL!..... LOL!

Your "idols" (Gary Numan and AMD) have something in common? Yea...there both One hit wonders. and nothing more!

Amd's are fair, not good or Great ,just fair!