Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO Trying to be hard core?

MoudeebMoudeeb Member CommonPosts: 14

Tried playing LOTRO after having to leave after launch. It looks like all the major content requires a full fellowship to do. Attempted going back when quests were grey in a duo and still got owned.

If you can't find a reply to /LFF you are redeuced to grinding small quests and grinding traits and virtues, which seem not to help you character very much. Comments in game chat say MOM is even worse and  casual or solo players need not attempt it.

I only have leveled to 35, am I missing something or is Turbine going the hard core route? Pretty world to grind in and get horrible loot and die a lot. 

Comments

• DugathDugath Member Posts: 93

I have a lvl 51 Captain.

I almost always solo, I Would say 80% of the time. I do Solo quests and some small Fellowship quests on my own. I pass by a lot of full Fellowship quests unless someone else is shouting for them.

I have no real problem leveling, in fact I got 11 levels in the last week and a half.

As for loot, I get pretty good stuff as none of my equipment except for some Jewlery was crafted.

Also I believe there was an experience change which makes it a lot easier to level up, so in fact I think the game has went in the opposite direction of hardcore.

Oh yeah.. Fellowship quests are ment to be hard and probably un-soloable... thats why they are called Fellowship quests. :D

• KhaunsharKhaunshar Member UncommonPosts: 349

LotRO is 90% solo, 10% group. Even the most group-centric books (storyline quest series) only got half their chapters as group content. Furthermore, its really REALLY easy to solo, basically you cannot die unless you screw up royally by overpulling etc. if you are half-awake.

I think aside from Lich King, there isnt any MMORPG easier and more solo-centric out there. Only the very last endgame armor set, which is only needed for a raid you wont want to play as solo anyway, is group-required.

There are far more solo-quests than you need to get to the levelcap, and every reputation, every craft, every explorer deed and several parts of the storyline, even entire books, are soloable.

• veritasallveritasall Member UncommonPosts: 153

I'm lvl50 and have had no trouble leveling mostly solo. I've done my fair share of fellowship quests but only when others have asked on the LFF channel. I've never asked on there myself. In later levels you get some really good gear sets at the entrance to Angmar for solo quests involving gaining the trust of the clan there. The stuff is better than a lot of the stuff you get for the fellowship quests in the same area. I've not been near Moria yet, so can't comment!

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I don't think that LOTRO is hardcore at all.  I do, however, think that there is content which many players play as if it is a hardcore game.  Examples:  radiance gear, watcher raids, and legendary items.  All three of these are major grinds not for the faint of heart.  They require intense amounts of time and effort.  If you feel a need to have the best gear in the game, you *do* have to become hardcore.  If you can be satisfied with the level 60 non-radiance gear, which eliminates you from being able to do The Watcher, then you can casually go to 60 and still have fun and contribute.

For the record, the difference between a full suit of the top-end radiance gear (without the watcher pieces) and the level 60 Moria class gear is minimal except for the addition of radiance on the radiance gear (Duh!).  In fact, I don't wear all 6 pieces of my radiance gear much of the time because piecing the parts from the non-radiance gives me better stats for some circumstances.

• jacobujjacobuj Member Posts: 112

Meeting new people and making friends is hardcore. I find it hardcore that people actually talk to each other in video games! WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU IN MY GAME?!

/sarcasm off

• sarahstewartsarahstewart Member Posts: 68

I pretty much leveled solo too and quite easy aswell, I find it hard to understand why people have trouble leveling in lotro.

what class are you?

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Well, my experience with the game is pretty much the same as the OP. 11 levels in  a week? For me, it's probably been like 6 months (see my leveling history in my character in my sig). I can only take grinding so much a day.  I like games with quests, not just standing around killing stuff.  (Even Korean grinding games have more quests. At least some).

And it's really hard to talk in this game, because no one ever talks back. Unless you are in the same kin, no one ever seems to talk to you.

Unless you play a female character. I was bored and made a burglar. She can't make it through Bree without getting a PM or two. (Why I only play her in the shire)

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I don't think I ever grouped with my Loremaster till I was well into my 50's.

I miss DAoC

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

I have just returned to the game as well been gone about a year. I have a hard time as well just standing around and grinding. I have picked up crafting for my main 3 toons. So I run around and mine and kill mobs at the same time. It helps me keep from getting to bored. I have given up on talking to people as well they just wont answer. But if someone asks a question in ooc I always try to give them a answer.Theres nothing worse than being confused and nobody will answer you. I have given up on trying to level fast,just steadly.. and have fun.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Moudeeb

Tried playing LOTRO after having to leave after launch. It looks like all the major content requires a full fellowship to do. Attempted going back when quests were grey in a duo and still got owned.
    If you can't find a reply to /LFF you are redeuced to grinding small quests and grinding traits and virtues, which seem not to help you character very much. Comments in game chat say MOM is even worse and  casual or solo players need not attempt it.
    I only have leveled to 35, am I missing something or is Turbine going the hard core route? Pretty world to grind in and get horrible loot and die a lot. 

If you run out of solo content you are missing quest from another zone or city. Ask in /advice where to go for solo content in your level I'm sure you will get help. The game has tons of solo content to level all the way up, (in my experience, I even sometimes outlevel solo quest and need to delete them) you only need to find them.

About the group quest. In my opinion it is hard to find groups to do group quests. Try building your group to do X quest. But yeah, in lotro people dont group a lot, they group, and usually do it well, but only when necesary.

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

If anything LotRO is too easy, extremely solo friendly.

" I like games with quests, not just standing around killing stuff. (Even Korean grinding games have more quests. At least some)."

I am not sure but I think this guy and I play different LotRO games, the one I play has so many quests I leave many undone, and the only grinding is for deeds, which you dont even have to do,  Actually I think this guy just likes to complain about LotRO and makes things up to support his complaints.

Godz of War I call Thee

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

If you think LotrO is to Hardcore then you shoudnt play MMOs...

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• veritasallveritasall Member UncommonPosts: 153

It sometimes helps for finding groups if you help people below you in quest chains. People tend to do them all in the one go. You're maybe looking for CH 8 but you should be willing to help those who are on CH5 so they can reach your stage in the chain.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by waveslayer

If anything LotRO is too easy, extremely solo friendly.
    " I like games with quests, not just standing around killing stuff. (Even Korean grinding games have more quests. At least some)."
    I am not sure but I think this guy and I play different LotRO games, the one I play has so many quests I leave many undone, and the only grinding is for deeds, which you dont even have to do,  Actually I think this guy just likes to complain about LotRO and makes things up to support his complaints.

Dude, trance playes SOTNW, and says LOTRO is grindy.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• AllNewMMOSukAllNewMMOSuk Member Posts: 241

Three people in this short thread have said they can't find solo quests and hate grinding monsters..... Do you guys even try to look for other towns? There is no grind to leveling in LotRO, in fact often times there's too many quests for you to hold in your quest log at once, and the majority of these are solo quests.

My honest guess has to be that these 3 posters are used to following game guides for every game they've played, they need to be told go here do this ok now go over here and do this. Look around, explore, travel to different towns and you will find there are almost too many quests. Unless you're going for a title, there really isn't any point to grinding monsters.

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

Well, my experience with the game is pretty much the same as the OP. 11 levels in  a week? For me, it's probably been like 6 months (see my leveling history in my character in my sig). I can only take grinding so much a day.  I like games with quests, not just standing around killing stuff.  (Even Korean grinding games have more quests. At least some).

And it's really hard to talk in this game, because no one ever talks back. Unless you are in the same kin, no one ever seems to talk to you.
    Unless you play a female character. I was bored and made a burglar. She can't make it through Bree without getting a PM or two. (Why I only play her in the shire)

Is this kind of BS even worth responding to?

• seraphymseraphym Member Posts: 16

Would also like to add using the in built quest helper may help you for some of those "Wtf?" quests.

I am currently a level 56 Hunter and very rarely fellowship, on the few occasions its been a blast. The solo content certainly outweighs the fellowship stuff IMO, I never feel like im missing out either tbh.

• MoudeebMoudeeb Member CommonPosts: 14

As I said, the major quests look to be almost impossible to do even if they are grey as a duo fellowship much less solo. Yes, common quests are easy but when I come up against a grey elite and it sends me to the death ring it is frustrating.

With that said, I can continue to try and back track major quests I skipped earlier but eventually MOM awaits and there will be no back tracking since the cap is at 60.

In regards to chat, on the server I am playing it is almost silent. Many new players ask questions in the Advice channel and rarely get answered. There really isn't any community chat other than a continuous /LFF. Silverlode server is almost absent of community interaction.

I can see that one can solo to 60 if they don't mind just doing the common quests and have the time to try and find a fellowship with the epic quests but it is a shame that an epic can't be duoed when it is grey to the two players.

My biggest concern is MOM, if it will be nothing but /LFF and without it you sit in a corner doing nothing.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

I have pretty much levelled solo all the way up to 60.

I have done grouping becuase it's fun but as far as levelling goes I have gone solo. I have also not even gone to certain places (forochel) as I had enough content to get me by it.

I'm not sure why players are having problems finding solo quests as I just don't see it. I actually left LOTRO because it was mostly group and came back because of the increase in solo content.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

One of my few peeves with LoTRO is that the game doesn't do a very good job feeding you into new zones.  Quests will send you to a place to check things when mobs are still red to you.  And there are major quest hubs I missed until my third time through because I never got sent anywhere near them (one could at least argue that the latter are rewards for exploration).

A good rule of thumb is "if you've run out of solo quests, you need to move to a different zone."  A lot of new players seemingly don't figure that out and get frustrated beating their head on group quests. 

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• OzigoulOzigoul Member Posts: 50

This game would actually be much more popular if it was more hardcore by giving more incentive to grouping. There was a time where hardcore and grouping where two different things. Game are so vanilla ice cream product that if you have to groups it is considered hardcore pve. I can't believe that.

I really have no idea why you want to play a MMO then.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

My biggest complaint with LOTRO -- and the reason why it will never be "hardcore" -- is that there is no user-created conflict in the game. No factions, racial tension, etc. for players to act out. Basically, players are all on the same "side" and to make matters worse, all conflict in the game is predetermined by the storyline. This game is best for serious roleplayers.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

More hardcore than at launch is possible but it is still one of the easier MMOs.

Try to explore around more and quests will pop up.

Of course it all depends on what you call hardcore, if you mean harder than Wow, then LOTRO (and most other MMOs) are hardcore but already games like Guildwars are a lot tougher (if you ever tried it in hard mode you know what Im talking about).

I think youll get into it fast but joining a fellowship never hurts, not only for quests but they will help you out with other stuff also, like answering all your questions in game and recomending places that are best to run at your current level.

If after a while you really feel that it is still to hard you might considering playing something easier like Wow or freerealms, the level of difficulty we prefer varies from player to player.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by cfurlin

My biggest complaint with LOTRO -- and the reason why it will never be "hardcore" -- is that there is no user-created conflict in the game. No factions, racial tension, etc. for players to act out. Basically, players are all on the same "side" and to make matters worse, all conflict in the game is predetermined by the storyline. This game is best for serious roleplayers.

Hardcore can mean a lot of things. For a PvE game it is more like a single misstake can wipe a group.

You can make a PvE hardcore game, or of course a PvP one. Who you fight (Computer generated AIs or other players) doesnt make the game less hardcore.

HC games are often hard to get into and the endgame is extremly hard whatever it is killing the AI version of Sauron or the leader of the enemy guild. But saying HC games must be PvP is wrong even though humans are the hardest thing to fight.

Still, I think it is a shame that you cant play evil characters in the game.