Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you only speak Spanish, don't bother with the TOR forums? WTH???

Comments

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

Sean Dahlberg isn't a moderator. He's the community manager.

Then he shouldn't be moderating.

I have been on those forums so I know.

• BreakheartBreakheart Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Troneas

Originally posted by red_cruiser

Originally posted by Breakheart

Originally posted by Lydeck

This is a western game by a United States company.

Learn. English.

[offtopicrant] It's almost as irritating as the people you see in the States walking around speaking Spanish and other languages instead of using Enlgish. If you're American, you speak English, end of discussion. [/offtopicrant]

I know what you feel. It's almost as irritating when North (yeah we have 3 americas, what a shock huh) Americans come to Brazil walking around speaking english instead of using Portuguese. If you're Brazilian, you speak Portuguese, end of discussion.

To sum it up, that was the most moronic and childish "rant" I've read in this topic. Notice how easy the table turns when I, from another country, just switched the words "english" and "American" out of that phrase.

So yeah, back in the topic, if it is stated in the rules that you cannot speak foreign languages, you abide and don't. Otherwise if its not stated, the mod could have redirected him to the stick post in the forums and closed the thread, as it's not their duty to translate or be obligated to deal with it. It's just a matter of how you handle it.

This just in. All American tourism to Brazil must stop.  Apparently, traveling to their country and spending China's money there annoys them.

fixed.

i dont think this is the time to be arrogant.

and, fyi, brazil is lending money to the IMF these days, the US is borrowing it.

I lol'ed so hard... thank you!

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Learn. English.

[offtopicrant] It's almost as irritating as the people you see in the States walking around speaking Spanish and other languages instead of using Enlgish. If you're American, you speak English, end of discussion. [/offtopicrant]

I know what you feel. It's almost as irritating when North (yeah we have 3 americas, what a shock huh) Americans come to Brazil walking around speaking english instead of using Portuguese. If you're Brazilian, you speak Portuguese, end of discussion.

To sum it up, that was the most moronic and childish "rant" I've read in this topic. Notice how easy the table turns when I, from another country, just switched the words "english" and "American" out of that phrase.

So yeah, back in the topic, if it is stated in the rules that you cannot speak foreign languages, you abide and don't. Otherwise if its not stated, the mod could have redirected him to the stick post in the forums and closed the thread, as it's not their duty to translate or be obligated to deal with it. It's just a matter of how you handle it.

The point is. This is an English forum run by English speaking people,

The point he was trying to make is, The ignorance of people who move to America from were ever and have been living here for 13 years and have never once tryed to learn English, We should not have to accomadate people for there ignorance by putting 5 differannt languages on 1 set of instructions  and so on.  If i moved to Japan i would try to learn Japanese, Not expect them to learn english for me.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Learn. English.

OK, now I'm confused.  We have North America, South America and.... what was that third one you mentioned?  

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

Learn. English.

OK, now I'm confused.  We have North America, South America and.... what was that third one you mentioned?  

My guess would be latin/central america.

Originally posted by Bama1267

Learn. English.

Yeah, that was my guess too... but there are either two Americas, North and South... or hundreds of America's if we are are counting each region independently.  I live in North Texas, I have family in West Texas, South Texas, central Texas and the Panhandle.... but it's all Texas.  ;)

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Originally posted by LordRelic

Learn. English.

The point he was trying to make is, The ignorance of people who move to America from were ever and have been living here for 13 years and have never once tryed tried to learn English, We should not have to accomadate accomodate people for there ignorance by putting 5 differannt different languages on 1 set of instructions  and so on.  If i moved to Japan i would try to learn Japanese, Not expect them to learn english for me.

This was corrected for poor English skills. Perhaps It was due to ignorance in not learning the language.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Learn. English.

Yeah, that was my guess too... but there are either two Americas, North and South... or hundreds of America's if we are are counting each region independently.  I live in North Texas, I have family in West Texas, South Texas, central Texas and the Panhandle.... but it's all Texas.  ;)

Seems to be fair game, I live in upstate NY. We segregate the big NY from the rest of New York State.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by junzo316

Originally posted by LordRelic

Learn. English.

The point he was trying to make is, The ignorance of people who move to America from were ever and have been living here for 13 years and have never once tryed tried to learn English, We should not have to accomadate accomodate people for there ignorance by putting 5 differannt different languages on 1 set of instructions  and so on.  If i moved to Japan i would try to learn Japanese, Not expect them to learn english for me.

This was corrected for poor English skills. Perhaps It was due to ignorance in not learning the language.

No its because i dont care how i spell aslong as my point gets across . Its not my fault your a grammar Nazi.

Edit: in any case Go forum mods keep it up.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

So you expect the moderators of the website to have translation services for every spoken language on planet Earth?  I'd rather they put their money toward making a better game.

• XiskoXisko Member Posts: 50

they lost the sense of "massive" somewhere in the way if they cant afford to handle spanish ppl " just to mention this particular case".

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

Learn. English.

You are wrong Salvaroti, it is well known around the world.

South America.

Central America.

North America.

If you live in South or Central America you will learn in primary school the existence of 3 Americas, is not that way in North America?

Originally posted by Inshalla

Originally posted by bmdevine

If you only speak spanish dont bother with an english speaking website and forum? Thats an innovative concept.
    Heres a hint, to get by in western culture, you need to know english. Im sure there are plenty of asian grinder MMO's that only support the Korean language. If I want play them so bad Ill get off my ass and learn the language. Its not everyone elses problem and it sure as hell isnt offensive or something the mods should feel guilty about.

Here's an innovative concept - go back to school and learn something this time.  You obviously know nothing about the traditional meaning of the term "western culture."

As to the original topic, my question would be whether the restriction against other languages was expressed in the rules, and whether Spanish was singled out.  If the answers are yes and no respectively, then you can't fault the moderators for enforcement of the rules.  However, it's important to note that the justification should be found in the rules - not in jingoism or racism.

You obviously do not know that "western culture" refers to America, Canada, Australia, the UK etc. or mainly any other primarily english speaking countries today. This does not include any countries that speak primarily Spanish. Of course in a futile attempt to look smart, you have intentionally taken the comment completely out of context and are refering to any number of time periods where "westerners" could refer to those who speak Latin, French or any number of languages really. You're taking it in more of a geographic direction, but the term "western cultue" does not have any geographical meaning at all today. So this speaks highly of your own education how exactly?

Anyways, for those of us with real world experience with ethnic cultures it's a little more complex than just simpleton words like "racism". Thats an easy term to throw around for high chair white suburban idealists sipping their coffee reading the American newspapers before starting another mundane lifeless day. I lived in Saudi for 4 years. Nobody was going to feel sorry for me if I pouted in the corner and insisted someone speak english to me. And insisting I have my hand held by Muslims would most likely lead to me losing said hand. I learned Arabic, because Im quite fond of things like eating and having decent conversations.. Its really not that hard of a concept if you try. But oh when we cant accomodate the poor little spanish speaking Amigo and help him play his video game its racism. Haha yeah thats some useful education you got.

Inshalla.

You sounded very arrogant, but countries like Spain, Portugal, Germany, France and Italy are much more significant in the western culture than Australia and Canada.

The idea of western CULTURE is equal to primarily speak english may sound "cool" if you live in North America, but is offensive to the rest of the western world.

If we limite eastern culture to only China we would make the same mistake you made.

There is not only North America, you forgot South and Central America, where english is not the primary language.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Originally posted by Umbral

Learn. English.

South America.

Central America.

North America.

If you live in South or Central America you will learn in primary school the existence of 3 Americas, is not that way in North America?

Don't forget 'middle' America.  It is a term bandied about by the American media and politicians.

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450

This thread really went down the crapper.

• CoffeeGruntCoffeeGrunt Member Posts: 192

'to get by in western culture, you need to know english'

good luck in france my friend :)  western culture has its heritage in Europe ..and the main language there the mostly spoken is German if im not totally mistaken( Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy (Province of Bolzano-Bozen) Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Denmark, Belgium). Youd be suprised how many ppl in those countries dont have a clue bout english.Also i assume i dont have to point out that spanish or portugueseis part of the western culture , you got your doubts go read some history books.

Although ive to say for the internet ,specialy for gamesites ENGLISH LANGUAGE is a must no way around that. And for monitoring the forum i understand that they dont allow any other language atm.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ah yes... the OP has always been so open-minded... ><

I think besides Chinese and English, the next biggest group of people speaks Spanish. It is quite a valid request, whats so spectacular to want a Spanish version?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    Originally posted by CoffeeGrunt

good luck in france my friend :)  western culture has its heritage in Europe ..and the main language there the mostly spoken is German if im not totally mistaken( Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy (Province of Bolzano-Bozen) Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Denmark, Belgium). Youd be suprised how many ppl in those countries dont have a clue bout english.Also i assume i dont have to point out that spanish or portugueseis part of the western culture , you got your doubts go read some history books.
    Although ive to say for the internet ,specialy for gamesites ENGLISH LANGUAGE is a must no way around that. And for monitoring the forum i understand that they dont allow any other language atm.

how does a history book tell anyone anything about todays culutre? A countries geographical location has nothing to do with whether or not its part of western culture. If China started to act like the United States of America it would then be said that they are part of western culture. It can even be said that the United States west coast in some areas is NOT  part of western culture because they love to act as different as possible and make all the conservatives give them weird looks.

• CoffeeGruntCoffeeGrunt Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Carl132p

how does a history book tell anyone anything about todays culutre? A countries geographical location has nothing to do with whether or not its part of western culture. If China started to act like the United States of America it would then be said that they are part of western culture. It can even be said that the United States west coast in some areas is NOT  part of western culture because they love to act as different as possible and make all the conservatives give them weird looks.

M8 i didnt talk bout location i talked bout heritage ..if you fail to know where the offspring of the todays USA came from ..well read history books  i say it again . you think USA=Western world ? youre so wrong m8 USA only known to enforce military power upon countries but never gained any respect thats a fact . Representative  Western  countries  today are  : GB , Germany , France , Spain ..USA is mostly hated ..face it .

• Blackbandit9Blackbandit9 Member Posts: 55

USA is mostly hated ..face it .

Yet an enormous amount of people seem to want to come live here (especially those Spanish speaking individuals) and most other countries want to be our allies.  Strange isn't it?

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Originally posted by bmdevine

If you only speak spanish dont bother with an english speaking website and forum? Thats an innovative concept.
    Heres a hint, to get by in western culture, you need to know english. Im sure there are plenty of asian grinder MMO's that only support the Korean language. If I want play them so bad Ill get off my ass and learn the language. Its not everyone elses problem and it sure as hell isnt offensive or something the mods should feel guilty about.

Here's an innovative concept - go back to school and learn something this time.  You obviously know nothing about the traditional meaning of the term "western culture."

As to the original topic, my question would be whether the restriction against other languages was expressed in the rules, and whether Spanish was singled out.  If the answers are yes and no respectively, then you can't fault the moderators for enforcement of the rules.  However, it's important to note that the justification should be found in the rules - not in jingoism or racism.

You obviously do not know that "western culture" refers to America, Canada, Australia, the UK etc. or mainly any other primarily english speaking countries today. This does not include any countries that speak primarily Spanish. Of course in a futile attempt to look smart, you have intentionally taken the comment completely out of context and are refering to any number of time periods where "westerners" could refer to those who speak Latin, French or any number of languages really. You're taking it in more of a geographic direction, but the term "western cultue" does not have any geographical meaning at all today. So this speaks highly of your own education how exactly? 

Inshalla.

You sounded very arrogant, but countries like Spain, Portugal, Germany, France and Italy are much more significant in the western culture than Australia and Canada.

The idea of western CULTURE is equal to primarily speak english may sound "cool" if you live in North America, but is offensive to the rest of the western world.

If we limite eastern culture to only China we would make the same mistake you made.

There is not only North America, you forgot South and Central America, where english is not the primary language.

i missed this post earlier.

Inshala, where did you learn that "western culture" is limited to or represents "english speaking" countries?

"Western Culture", for your information, is a term which refers to the European civilisation to the west of its continent, and goes back to Ancient Greek times. Since western european civilisation has spread to north and south america, as well as australia and other parts of the world these are refer to as being part of the "western world" too.

You are right in the fact that it does not only refer to geographical aspects, though, but also includes countries which have addopted its religious beliefs, culture, values, political system etc etc.

you can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Harafnir

If you only speak Spanish, don't bother with the INTERnet. Where people from all around the world, even poor third world countries, try to interact INTERnationally. If you really are os uneducated you only know one language... Please start Spanishnet.. or Germannet... Stay the hell away from the rest of the world that at least have the education to interact with other people that their immediate neighburs. And yes... some poor farmer in the plains of Africa or the wilderness of India understand the concept of INTERnet. Pity you don't, but think everyone in the whole world should be forced to cater to only your needs.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm

rofl, I just wanted to tell you that you do not need English as Chinees is also a lot used, but when i googled it to find evidence of my claim I noticed that spanish is 3rd. Making you statement even more foolish. Also you do realise you every country has it own dot (.) domain like .tv and .nl? Why do you think they are there? To cater to the English speaking poeple to to the locals?

Anyhow back on topic, if the mods do not want spanish speaking poeple on there forum it is there good right. There are plenty of things translaters can not translate. Where would it stop? When can mods say no? When google translators does not translate it?

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    Originally posted by Coman

Originally posted by Harafnir

If you only speak Spanish, don't bother with the INTERnet. Where people from all around the world, even poor third world countries, try to interact INTERnationally. If you really are os uneducated you only know one language... Please start Spanishnet.. or Germannet... Stay the hell away from the rest of the world that at least have the education to interact with other people that their immediate neighburs. And yes... some poor farmer in the plains of Africa or the wilderness of India understand the concept of INTERnet. Pity you don't, but think everyone in the whole world should be forced to cater to only your needs.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm

rofl, I just wanted to tell you that you do not need English as Chinees is also a lot used, but when i googled it to find evidence of my claim I noticed that spanish is 3rd. Making you statement even more foolish. Also you do realise you every country has it own dot (.) domain like .tv and .nl? Why do you think they are there? To cater to the English speaking poeple to to the locals?

Anyhow back on topic, if the mods do not want spanish speaking poeple on there forum it is there good right. There are plenty of things translaters can not translate. Where would it stop? When can mods say no? When google translators does not translate it?

i am not sure i understood the meaning of your post, but you do realise Harafnir was being sarcastic, no?

I know it is somehow offtopic, but after this thread I am really curious.

Please, someone can confirm this?

Some of  US population really don't know about the existence of three Americas (South, Central and North America)?

Is it common for some people in North America to think Western culture is equal to Australia, Canada and U.S. culture and forget about Europe, Greece etc?

Someone already posted it here, but I think it sould be posted again  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture .

Today it is easy to find information in books and in the internet, I hope what we saw here are just a minority of bad examples blinded by ignorance.

Spanish is used by a large amount of western civilization, german too, I understand english is today the "universal" internet western language, but what happened in SWTOR forums was, in my opinion, a bad move.

Learn. English.

South America.
    Central America.
    North America.

There are two Americas . Central America is a region of North America.