Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some basic questions ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I only played the beta way back.  I must admit that I did not like this mmo because it felt like a forced solo game in my opinion.  The quest seemed to be chain quest ( do first part to get the next part ), more so than other mmo's. The chat was full of ppl asking for help, only to be shrugged off, as everyone had their own agenda.  Guilds are nice, I'm very social, but you can't always rely on even the best guilds.  I like to have the opportunity to rely on the world chat also....Had this changed ?....If so I have a few more questions:

1) Dungeons- are their many, is it easy to get groups, and can someone refer me to a good web site, with level and locations?

2) Would you recommend getting the Mines of Moria from the start ?

3) Still only 2 starting areas, it's ok if yes, just asking.

4) Does LOTRO have build in chat that everyone uses. If I remember wayyyy back in beta they were talking about voice chat being added.  If not are their guilds that use Ventrilo ?

5) Are healers needed, I like playing dungeons more than anything in an mmo, so often I play healer classes to make finding groups easer.

Comments

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by page

I only played the beta way back.  I must admit that I did not like this mmo because it felt like a forced solo game in my opinion.  The quest seemed to be chain quest ( do first part to get the next part ), more so than other mmo's. The chat was full of ppl asking for help, only to be shrugged off, as everyone had their own agenda.  Guilds are nice, I'm very social, but you can't always rely on even the best guilds.  I like to have the opportunity to rely on the world chat also....Had this changed ?....If so I have a few more questions:
    1) Dungeons- are their many, is it easy to get groups, and can someone refer me to a good web site, with level and locations?
    Kind of hard to tell, depends on the region you are in. Most high level dungeons are for groups and raids, some solo ones as well, but pre-Moria, not many. Majority of the game (solo I mean) are out in the open-world (again, pre-Moria).
    2) Would you recommend getting the Mines of Moria from the start ?
    Yes, there are pretty good deals atm, and you'd have access to Warden and Runekeeper classses as well.
    3) Still only 2 starting areas, it's ok if yes, just asking.
    There were 3 starting areas initially  - well, sort of 3.5 - Ered Luin had 2 areas, one for dwarves and 1 for elves, then there's Archet for humans and The Shire for hobbitses.
    4) Does LOTRO have build in chat that everyone uses. If I remember wayyyy back in beta they were talking about voice chat being added.  If not are their guilds that use Ventrilo ?
    Voice chat: only for groups. Most kinships use external chats, yes (mine Ventrilo).
    5) Are healers needed, I like playing dungeons more than anything in an mmo, so often I play healer classes to make finding groups easer.
    Healers (or rather:morale-boosters:) are absolutely sought for, and essential. Roll a Minstrel or Captain, and you'll have no issues finding groups - especially with a Minstrel.

DB.

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Thanks DB,

Good info, my only problem now would be that the game is too solo orientated with chain quest, and lack of low level dungeons.

I really wish they would do something about this type of stuff instead of more expansions, because this game has so much potential, and the graphics were by far the best around.  Even back in beta.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Thanks DB,
    Good info, my only problem now would be that the game is too solo orientated with chain quest, and lack of low level dungeons.
    I really wish they would do something about this type of stuff instead of more expansions, because this game has so much potential, and the graphics were by far the best around.  Even back in beta.

At launch LotrO wasnt very solo oriented, it had alot of "forced grouping" and I dont think you cold level 50 without grouping.

There is alot of group quests and instances at all levels so if you can find people to do them with, its great. My favourite part of MMOs is dungeon crawling (just like you) and LotrO have alot to offer for people who enjoy that. Quest chains can be a problem if you are not on the same quest but LotrO have the best Quest log I have ever seen which gives you all information on what quest in the chain people are on.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Papadam

Thanks DB,

At launch LotrO wasnt very solo oriented, it had alot of "forced grouping" and I dont think you cold level 50 without grouping.

There is alot of group quests and instances at all levels so if you can find people to do them with, its great. My favourite part of MMOs is dungeon crawling (just like you) and LotrO have alot to offer for people who enjoy that. Quest chains can be a problem if you are not on the same quest but LotrO have the best Quest log I have ever seen which gives you all information on what quest in the chain people are on.

That's true. I ended up having so many group quests and so few solo quests that I just decided to end my subscription. It wasn't until they beefed up the solo quests that I decided to subscribe again.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Thanks DB,

That's true. I ended up having so many group quests and so few solo quests that I just decided to end my subscription. It wasn't until they beefed up the solo quests that I decided to subscribe again.

Same here, except I didn't cancel since I had a lifetime membership.  But I deleted countless fellowship quests because I didn't have to time to spend an hour each time I play trying to find a group to finish one quest.   I'm still on book 1, chapter 7.  O_o

• sarahstewartsarahstewart Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Thanks DB,

I considered cancelling my sub a long while back because of the same reason, I think a lot of people find this a problem but I am sure that turbine will carry on bumping up the solo content as well.

Thanks Papadam,  You jogged my memory about solo and group quest. Now I recall that their were a lot of group quest, however everyone was not on the same part of the books, an unable to find groups without starting over.

I remember finding a group, and we were really on a roll, doing fine.  But all at once and for no reason everyone started to quite. I found myself, using the open chat to pick up where I left off, as many others were doing.  The chat was full of others trying to complete their group quest chain.   This was very frustrating, and prob. the only reason I never went past the beta !

I remember how I loved the game, and it was a small but serious glitch to LOTRO, that I had no choice.

I also remember that Yes their was a LFG where where you could leave a comment as to what your looking for, it' never seemed to help as no one ever used this great feature,,,,, Had this changed ?

A large guild that uses ventrilo voice chat could help.

• zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926

The problem with some of the dungons and or instances they are part of the quest chain and in order to enjoy them other folks must be on the same quest chain to gain entrance to content. Thus you hear lff for book 7.4 ( or whatever the books they are currently working on in that area)

While having a  captain  i still have issues with group finding in certain areas  , There  have been  more solo quests since way back when.

One more short story I could recall during beta:

I was questing just outside of Bree, when a full group picked me up to do a group quest.  The leader of the group, had a quest that he could not give anyone in the group.  We were having lot's of fun, all working together.  But it ended shortly after, and the leader left the group.  We were all standing together, going over our quest log to find more group style quest, only for no one was able to give each other the quest.  We were all disappointed and we really tried to stay as a group.  But had no choice to disband, it was a sad day for all of us !!

Since then, I had joined several others trying to get a large groups for group content ( not that they could give me the quest, as I would come along for the ride)  only to recruit 1 or 2 more, then disband.

Whey can't they fix this?  After all it's NOT a major programing problem.   It's just a matter of fixing the quest chains.

I'll leave you with this,

LOTRO is like Microsoft,,,,,, Both game and operating systems are rock solid.

Microsoft came out with Windows 93, 95, 98, ME, XP, and Vista.....But they never fixed their "HELP".  Have you ever tried to use Microsoft "HELP" to help with a problem ( it's wortless ).

LOTRO and Microsoft have a good thing going, but they are so close minded and their head up their butts, that they don't even try to fix simple problems. Yet they come out with expansions like crazy.

LOTRO is a very well built game. Just as good a WoW.  Quit possible the only two games that are super stable and graphics that are well done. Yet LOTRO loose customers like crazy, and most customers can't put their finger on as to why.... Well I know why.  It's the chain quest, and forcing ppl to play by them selfs.

I would love to give LOTRO another shot, I'm not here to start a war. I was carious as to of they had fixed the problem's so I could play a good game.

Well, soon I have to pick between Vanguard, TCOSB, or D&D Online.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I was questing just outside of Bree, when a full group picked me up to do a group quest.  The leader of the group, had a quest that he could not give anyone in the group.  We were having lot's of fun, all working together.  But it ended shortly after, and the leader left the group.  We were all standing together, going over our quest log to find more group style quest, only for no one was able to give each other the quest.  We were all disappointed and we really tried to stay as a group.  But had no choice to disband, it was a sad day for all of us !!
    Since then, I had joined several others trying to get a large groups for group content ( not that they could give me the quest, as I would come along for the ride)  only to recruit 1 or 2 more, then disband.
    Whey can't they fix this?  After all it's NOT a major programing problem.   It's just a matter of fixing the quest chains.

There are a few hundred thousand people playing LoTRO that that don't have a issue with grouping it but  since you so obviously do I wish you luck in finding your perfect game. There are plenty out to choose from. Quite frankly this is why you should find a good kinship. Notice I underlined and bolded good. Our kinship is not huge because we are very picky about who we invite. But we have maintained pretty much 100 - 200 active players since beta, a few leave we get a few new.

Do me a favor though and PM me when you find the perfect game will you?. I'm sure you can find a game where everyone is doing the same quest at the same time if you keep looking

I miss DAoC

PMing Jackdog

World of Warcraft

Duskwood,,,Raven Hill Cemetary

Badlands,,, Angor Fortress

Arthi highlands,,,Stormgrade Keep

Hilsbrad foothills,,,,Darnhold Keep

Tanaris,,,Lost Rigger Cove

I could go on and on, if your stuck and find yourself biting off more than you can chew, someone will come along, shire the quest and your good. If you get along with that person that helped, you can play with that person for hours after that !!

Same with EQ2,,, SWG,,,,Warhammer,,, in fact all mmo's.  Good or bad you can play with others !!

You should not have to have higher level guildies hand feed you for hours cause you would like to get chain quest done in your inventory, cause remember they don't have the chain quest ether.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

I played wow from launch, and now playing LOTRO. 1 thing is constant, if you have a piss poor attitude, you will have trouble getting in a good guild, in either game. If you constantly whine about needing help, nobody will. Now, compared to wow, LOTRO has been known, its very well documented on these forums and elsewhere, that the community in LOTRO is the best, most mature and helpful you will find. So, if you had trouble getting help, I think the problem is you and only you. Look in the mirror, thats the problem you are looking at. Fix your attitude problems, and yopu might have a good time. But stay in wow, we dont want  you in LOTRO if all you going to do is whine.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

Sorry Lugal,

It's just that Jackdog, got me mad with the " do me a favor and PM me " Line.

It was never my intent to start a war here, infact I liked LOTRO a lot.  But I just had one gripe, and was looking to see if my gripe was still their, or if their was a solution around it, I guess I was getting out of hand so very sorry.

And Yes LOTRO is a good game.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

No need to apologize for your feelings or opinion. Its valid no mater what anybody or I say.

Happy gaming.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

@ Page

Too bad I cannot abide the graphic style of WoW, or the community. tried it for the free 30 when it came out. I played EQII for a couple of years though, but it just got old. I find LoTRO much superior to either game in all respects, not perfect but as close to a perfect fit as I can find and I have played a few

UO 1997 - 2000, DAoC 2000 - 2003, SWG 2003 - 2004. EQII 2004 - 2007 LoTRO 2007 to present

Beta tested or played a month or less = WoW, AO, Horizons, Auto Assault, AoC, CoH, Eve,  Saga of Ryzom, Dark and Light, Wish, Vanguard, EQ1, Tabula Rosa

I can nitpick any game and make a thread on why I think the game design is screwed for any game including LoTRO, EQII, DAoC, and  SWG. No game is perfect , not is every game appealing to everyone.  I just don't think I have ever quit a game over a single feature, there nust be more to the story is all. For me it has always been a number of reasons when I take any given game off my hard drive.

I miss DAoC

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

There might be a couple hundred thousand people playing LOTRO (a figure I find unlikely myself), there are probably a million plus who tried it and quit. In many cases, as shown by this thread (and many others) about the poor grouping in this game.

{ Mod Edit }

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

so what is wrong about pointing out that all MMO's are not for everyone? like I said I seriously doubt anyone cancels  MMO over a single feature  he or she does not care for. And I challenge anyone in any MMO to expect to find ready to assist them on every quest on a moments notice, now that is high fantasy Any way I gave the guy a suggestion, that is find a good established kinship that has been around for a while, and now I get flamed for it .Also LoTRO has a great group share feature and an excellent LFG feature but don't expect miracles.

I miss DAoC

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651
    Originally posted by Jackdog

There are a few hundred thousand people playing LoTRO that that don't have a issue with grouping it but  since you so obviously do I wish you luck in finding your perfect game. There are plenty out to choose from. Quite frankly this is why you should find a good kinship. Notice I underlined and bolded good. Our kinship is not huge because we are very picky about who we invite. But we have maintained pretty much 100 - 200 active players since beta, a few leave we get a few new.

Do me a favor though and PM me when you find the perfect game will you?. I'm sure you can find a game where everyone is doing the same quest at the same time if you keep looking

yea please pm me too, so I can avoid it.  Everyone doing the same Q at the same time? Been there done that - it's awful - I hate qeues for Quests - and camping. 

A thing to remember about people who play games - goes for everyone, even me... What you hate the most about a game some people love, and vice versa.

Hi Elderotter,

I'm not going to poke fun at you, or argue to continue fighting as I understand that this is your game along with Jackdog, and Lugal and many others here.  HOWEVER you should re-read the content of my reply, as I stated it was a group orientated quest to be done by a group.  The quest was unable to be passed around to other's.  I believe this was clearly stated.

I think I had stated about 10 time's that LOTRO is a good game, infact very good.  I guess I could understand how everyone is so defensive here because it's mmorpg.com and this is what everyone does with all games on this board.

Opposite of what some of you think.  I'm a very social player in my mmo's.  I really get along with others and often I'm the one that brings ppl together to have fun.  You know the shy solo players, that don't know how to play as a group.   Well they are my friends and often I change them around.

I really really would like to play this game.  Infact I still think I will despite the chain group orientated quest.  I'll find a guild that uses ventrilo voice chat, That may help to overcome what Turbine should fix.

To all that love LOTRO,,,,,,,,, Do you not agree that group quest should not be chain quest ?  After all your getting ppl together to reach a common goal, and everyone should be able to do the same quest at hand. 

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780

Hi Elderotter,
    I'm not going to poke fun at you, or argue to continue fighting as I understand that this is your game along with Jackdog, and Lugal and many others here.  HOWEVER you should re-read the content of my reply, as I stated it was a group orientated quest to be done by a group.  The quest was unable to be passed around to other's.  I believe this was clearly stated.
    I think I had stated about 10 time's that LOTRO is a good game, infact very good.  I guess I could understand how everyone is so defensive here because it's mmorpg.com and this is what everyone does with all games on this board.
    Opposite of what some of you think.  I'm a very social player in my mmo's.  I really get along with others and often I'm the one that brings ppl together to have fun.  You know the shy solo players, that don't know how to play as a group.   Well they are my friends and often I change them around.
    I really really would like to play this game.  Infact I still think I will despite the chain group orientated quest.  I'll find a guild that uses ventrilo voice chat, That may help to overcome what Turbine should fix.
    To all that love LOTRO,,,,,,,,, Do you not agree that group quest should not be chain quest ?  After all your getting ppl together to reach a common goal, and everyone should be able to do the same quest at hand. 

I know where your coming from on that, it seems this is the one big problem I have seen in game for many people. A friend and I always ran into this issue and when we did find people to group up to do these chain quests we always ended up re-doing everything to get the others caught up in the chain quest to where we needed them to be.

Then you would have someone drop from the group or couldnt finish so you had to find another to replace them and usually ended up repeating everything again to get them caught up, very frustrating.

Lotro is a really good game but I must agree the group chain quests are a major let down as it got to the point to where I didnt want to do them anymore but the sad thing was those quests usually had the best rewards.

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

Thank you Enforcer71,

LOTRO could also have 10 million people playing this game, if they could only fix one simple problem.

once again Page, if you find a good kinship your issue will quickly become a non issue. In outr guild it is commonplace for us to go help people through rough spots in quest chains.

I miss DAoC

Hi Elderotter,

I will agree that chain group quests can be a pain, keeping a group together is often not easy.  But that happens when the quest is just 1 step also.  I am currently playing on Firefox  - i have several toons from lvl 40 down to lvl 4 - my current favorite is Dillway a lvl 24(right now) Captain.  If you are on that server and need help let me know, np.  My current Kin does not have ventrilo so I will not invite you to that. 

Every game needs fixes.  However, too many fixes addressing everyone's issues makes all games seem to be the same game.  Which is also bad.  In my opinion, the 2 best games out there are LOTRO and EVE.  I would not want them to change much, add content yes, but not change into WoW or something else.  Just my opinion.

Originally posted by Enforcer71

Hi Elderotter,

I know where your coming from on that, it seems this is the one big problem I have seen in game for many people. A friend and I always ran into this issue and when we did find people to group up to do these chain quests we always ended up re-doing everything to get the others caught up in the chain quest to where we needed them to be.

Then you would have someone drop from the group or couldnt finish so you had to find another to replace them and usually ended up repeating everything again to get them caught up, very frustrating.

Lotro is a really good game but I must agree the group chain quests are a major let down as it got to the point to where I didnt want to do them anymore but the sad thing was those quests usually had the best rewards.

lol, if they didn't have the best rewards no one would EVER do them.