Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you only speak Spanish, don't bother with the TOR forums? WTH???

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Looks like you aren't allowed to speak Spanish if use their forums lol This guy never heard of Google translate or Babelfish? I don't speak Spanish myself, but I know if I really wanna know what people are saying. I know always use one of those 2 translators on the web or in MMOs instead of telling people they can't speak their native language around me because I don't understand it. I'm not baggin on the guy, but at least make an attempt to figure out what they are saying instead of just shutting it down all together. He pretty much told them he don't even wanna deal with it, which could easily be offensive to someone. I see no where in the rules it states you can not speak any other language outside of english (maybe I missed it). Maybe some posters were abusing it for all I know for him to take that stand, IDK. I don't even remember SOE being that nit picky. I used to see spanish threads all the time and unless there was a bad link, they left it alone.

www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php

SeanDahlberg

Yesterday , 03:07 PM

The Star Wars: The Old Republic currently does not support this language. Due to this, we cannot verify if these posts are abiding by or violating the Rules of Conduct.

Thread closed.

Well someone decided to help him out a bit

1. Inzael

Yesterday 04:51 PM

Inzael

Hi, I have just realized you have closed the spanish player´s thread. I have nothing to say on this regard. Just for the purpose you can verify the thread content I kindly offer you the translation you can check on this link: http://swtor-hispano.com/translation/translation.html

www.swtor.com/community/member.php

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

very interesting. the poor fella just wanted to hook up with other people who spoke spanish. then again it is understandable that allowing this kind of posts will be too much to handle for the moderator of the site; since i am willing to bet he will not be looking forward to translating every post in a foreign language in google.

i suppose what people do in this regard is create fan sites suited for their language eventually.

edit: and i just realised that in fact they do have a fansite so in essence the mod was right about locking the thread, since the OP got the answer he was after i suppose.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

I think the alternate language fan sights will most likely be the better option, I am most likely sure that they will take the same for most if not all languages that are not english. Considering the location of the studio that is producing SwToR someone there has to speak spanish or at least know someone who does, So I think it was more a premptive stop people from flaming each other in other languages than a we no speaky you no typey kinda deal.

Originally posted by Ragnaven

I think the alternate language fan sights will most likely be the better option, I am most likely sure that they will take the same for most if not all languages that are not english. Considering the location of the studio that is producing SwToR someone there has to speak spanish or at least know someone who does, So I think it was more a premptive stop people from flaming each other in other languages than a we no speaky you no typey kinda deal.

interesting.

from the phrase "The Old Republic currently does not support this language" i understood: "we do not currently have any moderators who speak spanish"... but its anyone's interpretation.

and i agree that there might be some people in the studio who speak spanish, but i don't suspect the vice-president for global marketing will be too delighted to be shown to the forums every so often to translate spansh.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Sean explained the reason why and I agree now. I thought he was just trying to be a tool about it. It's like how people were asking for their own forums for their own languages, then they would have to support all those languages.  I just didn't expect them to say you can't use other languages at all in their forums. Maybe they should put up a discaimer in all common languages detailing that. xD

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

there is a sticky on the communty forums with links to international fan sites which the poster did not bother to check. granted, it has not been updated in some time and the link to the spanish site is not listed; but i am sure google would have helped him there.

• InshallaInshalla Member Posts: 75

If you only speak spanish dont bother with an english speaking website and forum? Thats an innovative concept.

Heres a hint, to get by in western culture, you need to know english. Im sure there are plenty of asian grinder MMO's that only support the Korean language. If I want play them so bad Ill get off my ass and learn the language. Its not everyone elses problem and it sure as hell isnt offensive or something the mods should feel guilty about.

Originally posted by Inshalla

If you only speak spanish dont bother with an english speaking website and forum? Thats an innovative concept.
    Heres a hint, to get by in western culture, you need to know english. Im sure there are plenty of asian grinder MMO's that only support the Korean language. If I want play them so bad Ill get off my ass and learn the language. Its not everyone elses problem and it sure as hell isnt offensive or something the mods should feel guilty about.

i think you are reading too much into it. i dont think the mods felt guilty about anything, nor did the poster expect people to speak spanish. yet, in an ever globalised world, people feel more and more confident that others might speak their language and they don't mean any harm by it.

countless times i had people approach me in english in various countries where that language is not the official one; yet they expect others to understand it. not saying that was the posters intention, but i digress.

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730
    Originally posted by tillamook

Looks like you aren't allowed to speak Spanish if use their forums lol This guy never heard of Google translate or Babelfish? I don't speak Spanish myself, but I know if I really wanna know what people are saying. I know always use one of those 2 translators on the web or in MMOs instead of telling people they can't speak their native language around me because I don't understand it. I'm not baggin on the guy, but at least make an attempt to figure out what they are saying instead of just shutting it down all together. He pretty much told them he don't even wanna deal with it, which could easily be offensive to someone. I see no where in the rules it states you can not speak any other language outside of english (maybe I missed it). Maybe some posters were abusing it for all I know for him to take that stand, IDK. I don't even remember SOE being that nit picky. I used to see spanish threads all the time and unless there was a bad link, they left it alone.

www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php

SeanDahlberg

Yesterday , 03:07 PM

The Star Wars: The Old Republic currently does not support this language. Due to this, we cannot verify if these posts are abiding by or violating the Rules of Conduct.

Thread closed.

Well someone decided to help him out a bit

Inzael

Yesterday 04:51 PM
    Inzael

Hi, I have just realized you have closed the spanish player´s thread. I have nothing to say on this regard. Just for the purpose you can verify the thread content I kindly offer you the translation you can check on this link: http://swtor-hispano.com/translation/translation.html

www.swtor.com/community/member.php

That Sean Dahlberg is a jerk.

He is putting me off posting topics on those forums.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Troneas

i think you are reading too much into it. i dont think the mods felt guilty about anything, nor did the poster expect people to speak spanish. yet, in an ever globalised world, people feel more and more confident that others might speak their language and they don't mean any harm by it.

countless times i had people approach me in english in various countries where that language is not the official one; yet they expect others to understand it. not saying that was the posters intention, but i digress.

Inshalla was commenting on the OP, not the mods or the Spanish poster.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429

Here's an innovative concept - go back to school and learn something this time.  You obviously know nothing about the traditional meaning of the term "western culture."

As to the original topic, my question would be whether the restriction against other languages was expressed in the rules, and whether Spanish was singled out.  If the answers are yes and no respectively, then you can't fault the moderators for enforcement of the rules.  However, it's important to note that the justification should be found in the rules - not in jingoism or racism.

• OracunOracun Member Posts: 27

I myself feel deeply afraid that this will turn into another SWG, you know, they give it to some Corporation, they screw it up within minutes, and release the patch and kill people inside, from what i heard you were able to become a JEDI from the start....other than that horrible incident thanks to Sony, Oh well, it was still good while it lasted, BESIDES THE ALMOST CONSTANT CYBERING, *sigh* i quit the game very soon after the patch, so theres not much more i can tell you, i had only recently joined the game before the tragedy, and i FINALLY became a Jedi, until that crap happened, i was in absoleute shock, while everyone had to run around from quest to quest, some guys could get it from day 1!, a Master Jedi from DAY 1!!!...On another note i personally find the Customer support of this game to be absoleutely horrible and "Whats that coming over the hill, is it another Silkroad is it another silkroad?!" Why yes it is! good man.

For those of you that have not yet played this game, skill systems awesome, quite a few combinations you can pick, Trading, Stealing and Protecting Career choices after 20 (  Not even slightly recommended until your 50-60 due to the fact that if you ACTUALLY want to make cash out of it, your going to have to pile more and more expensive things onto your camel, which means you get more Thieves after ya, i liked the game, the 'Buying meds, bringing them out to higher level players and selling them for double' aspect of things, plenty of ways to make money, or maybe my family in itself just has this ultimate god power to become rich in mmorpg's? i went into this game, and about a month later i was level 40 and i had millions piling outta mah ass.

The games highly unrecommended though, very hard to get into the servers at all and you get booted to make space for Real Cash Players who actually bought something from the "Mall".

Another few along with this game would be Lag- I mean Kal Online, also due to the fact that their Customer support is god awful, Arch Lord unless you like running out, killing something, coming back, getting meds + quest, going out, killing something, its not like theres any story to it either, you just literally walk upto a npc, s/he says "OH No! i lost (Insert Generic Item Here) Please get it back from me from the (Insert Blue/Red/Green/Pink Bowed with a Red Ribbon Generic Monster here) Yes they pulled that Cliché right outta the cats bag, Blue/Red/Green Monsters and so on, OFCOURSE im insulting the fact that they actually still do this with the red ribbon and pink bows (Looks at Call of Duty and its custom weapons, and smites the Gold weapons and turns them into Ban Hammers) there ya go! something better than a Gold M4A1, a Golden Ban Hammer!, now twice as much hurt in every whack in the face! :D , To end this post i'd like to say Shadowbane, despite its major flaw that did not Please the Graphical Hungry players out there, yes ofcourse, the graphics death, due to the fact that its Graphics wasn't the best, it died, ofcourse there's also more reasons but im sure you've read quite enough, the fact thats funny is that i found myself more willing to give up time to games i don't like than this Star-Wars-Based MMO due to it's reputation, even if its not made by the same company, Star Wars Games just have a reputation for just dieing thanks to giving other companies power/authority or just failing.

Thanks for reading my post, Oracun.

• LydeckLydeck Member Posts: 80

This is a western game by a United States company.

Learn. English.

[offtopicrant] It's almost as irritating as the people you see in the States walking around speaking Spanish and other languages instead of using Enlgish. If you're American, you speak English, end of discussion. [/offtopicrant]

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

All discussion on any forum open to all must be moderated. Especially when a company runs the website, there can't be any exceptions. And to moderate a discussion, a moderator must completely understand it, having a vague idea of what is being talked about is not enough.

While automatic translators are good, they don't understand idioms, figures of speech, can't often choose the correct translation based on context, don't often understand dialects, spoken language, and abbreviations, and are very bad at understanding typing errors compared to humans. The translation produced by automatic translator may be good, but it may also be partially incomplete, hard to understand, and misleading. Any conversation can't be moderated based just on such translation.

• BreakheartBreakheart Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Lydeck

Learn. English.

[offtopicrant] It's almost as irritating as the people you see in the States walking around speaking Spanish and other languages instead of using Enlgish. If you're American, you speak English, end of discussion. [/offtopicrant]

I know what you feel. It's almost as irritating when North (yeah we have 3 americas, what a shock huh) Americans come to Brazil walking around speaking english instead of using Portuguese. If you're Brazilian, you speak Portuguese, end of discussion.

To sum it up, that was the most moronic and childish "rant" I've read in this topic. Notice how easy the table turns when I, from another country, just switched the words "english" and "American" out of that phrase.

So yeah, back in the topic, if it is stated in the rules that you cannot speak foreign languages, you abide and don't. Otherwise if its not stated, the mod could have redirected him to the stick post in the forums and closed the thread, as it's not their duty to translate or be obligated to deal with it. It's just a matter of how you handle it.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by Breakheart

Learn. English.

I know what you feel. It's almost as irritating when North (yeah we have 3 americas, what a shock huh) Americans come to Brazil walking around speaking english instead of using Portuguese. If you're Brazilian, you speak Portuguese, end of discussion.

To sum it up, that was the most moronic and childish "rant" I've read in this topic. Notice how easy the table turns when I, from another country, just switched the words "english" and "American" out of that phrase.

So yeah, back in the topic, if it is stated in the rules that you cannot speak foreign languages, you abide and don't. Otherwise if its not stated, the mod could have redirected him to the stick post in the forums and closed the thread, as it's not their duty to translate or be obligated to deal with it. It's just a matter of how you handle it.

Yes but you do realize that people blame "America" for all these places that speak English... and somehow forget the whole "the sun never sets on the union jack..." period of time.

Anyway moving on...

This has been pretty common policy on many forums.. becuase people were posting very obscene things in other languages.  Quite honestly many companies (regardless of area) don't have someone that can moderate every language on the planet.

So I guess I'm not sure why this was a topic at all....

Companies in general might have various forums for different languages.  At which point they have moderators that actually speak/read the language supported by various forums.  Within those forums they do not support other languages.  For example I play games with NON English "official"(tm) forums.. where any post in English will be removed... or moved to an English forum.

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589

If the person in question had posted in Hindi, he probably would have been fine.

If you're going to make all your players speak English, then all of your employees better speak perfect English as well.

Outsourcing FTL.

Learn. English.

maybe because english is not their native tongue, but spanish is? maybe because they want to keep their traditions and identity?

your "irritation" seems to go hand in hand with your lack of tollerance perhaps?

• LaserlifeLaserlife Member UncommonPosts: 40

TOR forums continues to be an embarrassment.

Do the mods not read anything they type before posting/regulating posts?

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Learn. English.

This just in. All American tourism to Brazil must stop.  Apparently, traveling to their country and spending money there annoys them.

• LaserlifeLaserlife Member UncommonPosts: 40

Learn. English.

What's the official language of the USA? Oh wait...

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Learn. English.

Its a Canadian company actually.

Originally posted by red_cruiser

Learn. English.

This just in. All American tourism to Brazil must stop.  Apparently, traveling to their country and spending China's money there annoys them.

fixed.

i dont think this is the time to be arrogant.

and, fyi, brazil is lending money to the IMF these days, the US is borrowing it.

• InshallaInshalla Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by bmdevine

Here's an innovative concept - go back to school and learn something this time.  You obviously know nothing about the traditional meaning of the term "western culture."

As to the original topic, my question would be whether the restriction against other languages was expressed in the rules, and whether Spanish was singled out.  If the answers are yes and no respectively, then you can't fault the moderators for enforcement of the rules.  However, it's important to note that the justification should be found in the rules - not in jingoism or racism.

You obviously do not know that "western culture" refers to America, Canada, Australia, the UK etc. or mainly any other primarily english speaking countries today. This does not include any countries that speak primarily Spanish. Of course in a futile attempt to look smart, you have intentionally taken the comment completely out of context and are refering to any number of time periods where "westerners" could refer to those who speak Latin, French or any number of languages really. You're taking it in more of a geographic direction, but the term "western cultue" does not have any geographical meaning at all today. So this speaks highly of your own education how exactly?

Anyways, for those of us with real world experience with ethnic cultures it's a little more complex than just simpleton words like "racism". Thats an easy term to throw around for high chair white suburban idealists sipping their coffee reading the American newspapers before starting another mundane lifeless day. I lived in Saudi for 4 years. Nobody was going to feel sorry for me if I pouted in the corner and insisted someone speak english to me. And insisting I have my hand held by Muslims would most likely lead to me losing said hand. I learned Arabic, because Im quite fond of things like eating and having decent conversations.. Its really not that hard of a concept if you try. But oh when we cant accomodate the poor little spanish speaking Amigo and help him play his video game its racism. Haha yeah thats some useful education you got.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Learn. English.

Rofl.

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

If you live in the US and doesn't speak English then thats a failure to integrate. It is your duty to learn the language of the country you decide to set down roots in end of story. If i moved to France it would be my duty to learn the language there as well.  However who said the Spanish dude was from the US? or even lives in the US for that matter.