Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I recover a password?

ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Ok so I had to reformat my gaming computer last night and I can't find nor remember the password to my network. My brothers laptop though is connected and I go through the network center to get to the properites and then to security where the password is. The box that says shows characters is greyed out to me. It is WPA personal with encrypition of TKIP. Is there anyway I can get the password or do I need to reset my network?

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

Comments

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

If the password was the default password then you can find it by going to the manufacturer's website and checking their online manual, or just google it. Otherwise you need to take a paper clip and click in the reset button on the back of the router to clear the settings/password.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

When you are in the settings on the router, your password for WAN connections is usually * out.  You would probably have to reset the router if you cannot remember the password.

• njacksondnjacksond Member Posts: 29

If you know the default password to your router then you will have the password in clear text under the Security Tab of your router. What kind of router do you have?

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

Was it the server or a station?

You prolly could reset the account/password on the server with an admin account.

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
    -Yes.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Its a linksys router and not the defualt password. How would I go about reseting it and setting up a new secure network?

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Oops I misunderstood slightly, I assumed you didn't know the WPA password OR the admin password for the router.

If you know the admin password for the router you can hook up to it wired, go to the settings (browse to http://192.168.1.1 - login admin/admin by default, blank/admin on older routers) and change the wireless password from there.

If you don't know the admin password, unplug the router and find a small hole on the back of the router that you need to push a paper clip into. Push the button in there and hold it down for a few seconds, this will restore the router to factory settings.

After doing this, browse to 192.168.1.1 and login as admin/admin, find the setting to change your SSID from linksys to something personalized (this is the name of the network you see when connecting to it.) Then set a WPA passkey for it.

You can additionally turn off 'broadcast SSID' to prevent computers from being able to see the network at all, in which case they need to know the name of the network and add the SSID manually on their computer.

Last you should go and change the admin password on the router to something you won't forget.

Ok Ill take a shot at that tonight thanks for all that info.

Originally posted by noquarter

Oops I misunderstood slightly, I assumed you didn't know the WPA password OR the admin password for the router.

If you know the admin password for the router you can hook up to it wired, go to the settings (browse to http://192.168.1.1 - login admin/admin by default, blank/admin on older routers) and change the wireless password from there.

If you don't know the admin password, unplug the router and find a small hole on the back of the router that you need to push a paper clip into. Push the button in there and hold it down for a few seconds, this will restore the router to factory settings.

After doing this, browse to 192.168.1.1 and login as admin/admin, find the setting to change your SSID from linksys to something personalized (this is the name of the network you see when connecting to it.) Then set a WPA passkey for it.

You can additionally turn off 'broadcast SSID' to prevent computers from being able to see the network at all, in which case they need to know the name of the network and add the SSID manually on their computer.

Last you should go and change the admin password on the router to something you won't forget.

WOOT it worked thanks so much for the help/