Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you dig up a tomb, if there is good enough evidence...

ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226

Would you dig up a tomb, if there is good enough evidence to believe Jesus is buried in it? Then you could take a DNA test and possibly determine if it is Jesus buried in that tomb.

Comments

• vonomousvonomous Member Posts: 357

What DNA would you compare the tomb DNA to?  Is there some laboratory copy of Jesus DNA laying around?

"If you can't out wit them, report them till they're banned!"- PopinJ'

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

You can go and see the garden tomb for yourself...it's empty.

• ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226

I meant this tomb: www.tombofjesus.com/2007/home.html..

Perhaps Jesus was buried with some other relics or things that are associated with Jesus.

also, dna testing could date jesus to year 0. Even if the dude in the tomb was from year 0 give or take a couple years you could also use the DNA code to find genetic information and see if that matches up with Jesus.

All in all, I would want to open a tomb if there was a chance we could prove Jesus was buried in it. OR at least prove that the body has a very good chance of being that of Jesus etc.

At any chance to prove Jesus was never resurrected or the son of a god, I would take it.

Organized religion has only proved to be evil over the course of history, and if we can prove one saint a man, than maybe people won't be killing in the name of _______ anymore. 

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Not in the habit of digging up graves personally..

this question is hypothetical, you could get a hypothetical gravedigger to do the dirty work for you

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379
    Originally posted by vonomous

What DNA would you compare the tomb DNA to?  Is there some laboratory copy of Jesus DNA laying around?

You could compare it to the blood on the Spear of Destiny and perhaps verify that DNA with the DNA on Holy Grail - Duh!

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Technically radiocarbon dating points out the date of death, and isn't perfectly accurate in any case, so the corpse would point to somewhere around year 40ish. Do you have any idea how many male Jews were crucified by the Romans during that time period? It was easily their second favorite form of torture/execution.

As to taking the chance at proving the matter one way or another, yes I'd go for it. Only issue is,, whatever "proof" is out there to find is likely going to be simply ignored by precisely the kind of extremists you are talking about Thrakk.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Originally posted by Wickersham

Originally posted by vonomous

You could compare it to the blood on the Spear of Destiny and perhaps verify that DNA with the DNA on Holy Grail - Duh!

Which one?

There are enough "genuine" fragments of both to serve a 100 man drinking party and also to stab them at the same time.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562
    Originally posted by Thrakk

At any chance to prove Jesus was never resurrected or the son of a god, I would take it.
    Organized religion has only proved to be evil over the course of history, and if we can prove one saint a man, than maybe people won't be killing in the name of _______ anymore. 

Christianity is the least organized religion in the history of religion.

• snipergsniperg Member Posts: 863
    Originally posted by Fishermage

Plus a prerequisite for sainthood is that it is always given post mortem. Dead men tell no tales and all:P

A friend is not him who provides support during your failures.A friend is the one that cheers you during your successes.

Originally posted by sniperg

Plus a prerequisite for sainthood is that it is always given post mortem. Dead men tell no tales and all:P

Well, for those Christians that believe in that sort of thing....which is mostly just Catholics, not Protestants.

Either way, ALL saints were just men (or women), so I am not sure what Thrakk is talking about there...

• snipergsniperg Member Posts: 863

Well, for those Christians that believe in that sort of thing....which is mostly just Catholics, not Protestants.

Either way, ALL saints were just men (or women), so I am not sure what Thrakk is talking about there...

Well I suppose he means that there were many cases of Christian Saints that although the lived a mortal life and actually some of them being pretty good butchers at times or at least ambiguous in their behavior, they were given by the church a divine essence so to speak, instead of being presented as mortals that defended their faith more vigorously than others.

A friend is not him who provides support during your failures.A friend is the one that cheers you during your successes.

Well I suppose he means that there were many cases of Christian Saints that although the lived a mortal life and actually some of them being pretty good butchers at times or at least ambiguous in their behavior, they were given by the church a divine essence so to speak, instead of being presented as mortals that defended their faith more vigorously than others.

Yup, I did understand that -- but again, that's just a couple of denominations out of over 10,000 denominations that even accept such things.

I was just talking about unnecessary killing/dictating in the name of religion.

If we could disprove several truths indentified with a religion, maybe less people would be radically faithful to that religion and therfore less people would have religious wars or religon mixed up with government etc.

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Would you dig up a tomb, if there is good enough evidence to believe Jesus is buried in it? Then you could take a DNA test and possibly determine if it is Jesus buried in that tomb.

Which Jesus?

The telephone directory for Mexico City alone lists 7,500 people with the first name Jesus.

• LuckyCurseLuckyCurse Member Posts: 394

Digging up the tomb of Jesus and gathering DNA? Only HELL yes! I would jump at the chance to make a Jesus Clone Army to do my bidding.  Can you imagine?  They can heal themselves and one another, you give them a single meal and they multiply it on their own to feed their numbers (and yeah, we're talking hundreds of thousands of Jesus Clones), they walk over water, and if they die they come back in three days.  Unstoppable.

I would also flip their Kung Fu gene to ON.  And then look into cloning dinosaurs for them to ride.  Jesus on a T-Rex FTW.  After all, we know Jesus was the only thing to beat a T-Rex.

So, yeah, I would totally dig it up.  Maybe go all GI Joe and also dig up the tombs of some of the other greats in history.  Can you imagine a Serpentor Jesus?  Fear it.

- LC

• HalfEmptyHalfEmpty Member Posts: 45

"I was just talking about unnecessary killing/dictating in the name of religion."

I know Christianity is an easy target, but I think you're trying to dig up the wrong tomb.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

There would still be people out there who would categorically deny his existence even with evidence, people who would still twist it to suit some figure of their own religion, people who would believe the evidence has been 'trumped' up, etc.

Really don't see it happening even if a decent opportunity arose, and if they did prove he was Jesus, how does that confirm that he was the son of god and had special powers? All it would be is a pile of bones.

O_o o_O

• LuckyCurseLuckyCurse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by Bigdavo

There would still be people out there who would categorically deny his existence even with evidence, people who would still twist it to suit some figure of their own religion, people who would believe the evidence has been 'trumped' up, etc.
    Really don't see it happening even if a decent opportunity arose, and if they did prove he was Jesus, how does that confirm that he was the son of god and had special powers? All it would be is a pile of bones.

A pile of bones disproves all of Christianity.  Which means the Jews were right all along! Or maybe it was the Norsemen who were right... or the Greeks... or the Japanese... or the Africans... or the Native Americans... or the Chinese...  or the Scientologists (Okay, let's not get crazy).

- LC