Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

silly noob question bout learning skills

Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135

I am new to eve .. and everywhere I read all I hear is bulk up your learning skills early on .. that is all fine and good

can one of you vets please just give me a list of which skills in which order? .. I really don't wanna spend my measely 500k on the wrong skills ..

I have decided I am going to get to the ability to fly a destro with salvaging capablilities .. so I'm just finishing science 4 for tractor beams .. and Im pretty combat oriented so far .. so while my learning skills are building up i'll just run lowbie missions with my rifter and salvage them to save up some isk for bigger better ships etc ..

but again .. like which learning skills in which order would be great .. i've looked an found out of date guides and posts and i'm not sure if there are differances in what I should be putting my time and isk into ..

Solace Wind

-minmatar combat pilot

Comments

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

While there is an optimal path to train them, the time difference is pretty small. I am sure someone will be in here soon with the proper progression.

For now I will leave with this advice. Unless you are positive you are going to be sticking with the game for several months keep your training of learning skills relatively low. This does not mean to forget about them however. Train up all the basic ones except the charisma skill to 3 or 4 and then work on the skills to improve your fittings, train things that increase power, cpu and cap, decrease cap usage. All those support skills that are not glamorous but they really matter the most.

Basically training learning skills is a longer term investment, For short term getting use to the game and having fun train those skills you need to make money faster.

Here's a quote from another thread I started here, and the link to the page with it. www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp

Apart from the learning skills what would you say is the best thing to invest on early in your career and what did you enjoy most?

What I trained early on is not what I would train now, as the skills are totally different. I help my newbies with planning their training, after sorting out basic skills needed to do lvl 2-3 missions, they finish up learnings to lvl 4.

After that you want cap, fitting and tanking skills up. After that you get just enough gunnery/drones/missiles to make a BC work. Once you can fly a BC well enough for lvl 3-4 missions and obtain a relatively stable and decent income, you can decide where to go next.

If you're Gallente or Amarr, Interceptors are the best T2 ship to get started with. AF you almost get by default because its only two rank 1 skills to 5 that you're going to need anyway. From there, you go for Coverts as it sets you up for exploration, bombers and recons all in one go.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

it sounds like you have a general idea of what you want to be doing/flying at this point. I would say download EveMon and create a training plan that matches your goals. If the learning skills would actually save you time in achieving your goals, EveMon will list them as suggestions to add to your training plan. Alternately, you can mess around with the order of Learning skill training to determine what has the best payoff for you.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I disagree you should train all your learning skills to lvl 5 as soon as you can this will lessen the time to train all others and if he stays with the game he will have to sooner rather then later. After those there are advanced learning skills also but those can wait awhile.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

I disagree you should train all your learning skills to lvl 5 as soon as you can this will lessen the time to train all others and if he stays with the game he will have to sooner rather then later. After those there are advanced learning skills also but those can wait awhile.

That's a long learning skill plan bro. you shouldn't train learning skills to V until you know your going to spend 1-2 years in Eve.

Imo learning skills to rank IV and advance learning to III. should get you on the right track.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808
    Originally posted by JGMIII

That's a long learning skill plan bro. you shouldn't train learning skills to V until you know your going to spend 1-2 years in Eve.

Imo learning skills to rank IV and advance learning to III. should get you on the right track.

I agree, ramming learning skills up to 5 ealry on when you don't know you are going to be sticking with the game for atleast a year is just a recipe for boredom and dissapointment.

• troydavidtroydavid Member Posts: 150

"I really don't wanna spend my measely 500k on the wrong skills .."

If I read this correctly, it seems to me that you are under the impression that you only get that many skill points to allocate to skills you wish to learn, which is false.

Your skill points increase as you learn new skills, and as far as I know (I only have just under 4 mil skill pts) they are infinite.  So you can train everything if you had the time or desire.  Most new skill you can train to level 1 in under an hour, so experiment and try stuff out.

I, however, did train all of my basic learning skills to five first.  Then I got bored and quit for nearly a year, and now that I am back playing again, I am so glad that I trained those then.

Update your clone.

Thanks.

T.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

i presume he ment his isk.

what i recommend to newbies is to take the basic learnings except charisma (fuck charisma) to level 4 while you're offline, and train fun skills while you're online, once you have the basics to level 4, start looking at buying the more expensive advanced learnings, one at a time over a few months, take them to 4 then the basics to 5.

but fun first, learning skills second.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by troydavid

If I read this correctly, it seems to me that you are under the impression that you only get that many skill points to allocate to skills you wish to learn, which is false.
    Your skill points increase as you learn new skills, and as far as I know (I only have just under 4 mil skill pts) they are infinite.  So you can train everything if you had the time or desire.  Most new skill you can train to level 1 in under an hour, so experiment and try stuff out.
    I, however, did train all of my basic learning skills to five first.  Then I got bored and quit for nearly a year, and now that I am back playing again, I am so glad that I trained those then.
    Update your clone.
    Thanks.
    T.

Like i said NO Pain NO gain, if he does not plan on hanging around why ask the question. Learning skills help train all others faster, seems like a smart idea to me.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

Originally posted by troydavid

Update your clone.
    Thanks.
    T.

Like i said NO Pain NO gain, if he does not plan on hanging around why ask the question. Learning skills help train all others faster, seems like a smart idea to me.

Does it? Sitting around for like 3-4 months watching learning skills train up while you still have basic industry or combat skills sounds like a smart Idea? What would hold the poor guy to Eve? level 1 missions in a starting ship with civi weapons?

If he trains the basic learning skills to IV and the Advance learning skills that his particular character needs to III he will be done in a week plus then he would be able to actually enjoy himself and get into some nice frigs or even a cruiser.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135

what an awesome amount of response thanks alot guys for all the input ..

by tonight I should be trained in level 3 for all basic skills cept charisma .. and can then pick and choose which ones to take to IV

also finished up the business career tut last night that was defintely worth it .. if for nothing else than the salvaging skill book ..

should be ready by this weekend to do some lowbie mish's and salvage a bit with my destro

if any of you would like hit me up in game under Solace Wind ..  I can always use good vet players to ask real time questions to

thanks again for the responses

and yes EveMon was definitely a good suggestion - thanks