Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD or INTEL? The Truth Please.

SmurfMagicSmurfMagic Member Posts: 664

Okay. I remember the goold old 486 days where Intel and AMD slugged it out MHz for MHz.

I also remember the old Pentium days Athlon days and so on.

I always chose AMD because of price vs performance.

Does this still hold true? Honestly I hated Pentium 4, I thought they sucked monkey nuts. 

How does current day Intel compare with current day AMD? Are they still worthy competetors or has AMD lowered their prices because they suck?

Thanks.

Comments

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

Right now I think its just a price choice, but I think the i7 CPU will give AMD a run for its money.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by SmurfMagic

Okay. I remember the goold old 486 days where Intel and AMD slugged it out MHz for MHz.
    Does this still hold true? Honestly I hated Pentium 4, I thought they sucked monkey nuts. 
    How does current day Intel compare with current day AMD? Are they still worthy competetors or has AMD lowered their prices because they suck?
    Thanks.

The absoloute best performing chip? Intel, if you don't mind spending £900 - £1000 just on the CPU! Intel rules the high end performance wise, mid range is becoming a battleground with the new Phenom II X4 AM3 chips being released, low end is much the same. In my opinion AMD gives better value and performance at low to mid range, upper end chips where price is no longer a question AMD isn't really competeing against Intel although the new X4 955 AM3 competes with the I7 920.

AMD had a rough ride with the first Phenom chips and really dropped the ball, but this year the Phenom II AM3 socket chips have picked up that slack easily. They offer great prices for great performance, the motherboards are better and cheaper than Intel boards and ATI and Nvidia are neck and neck as usual. I think the original Phenom chips failed to deliver and AMD has been hurting ever since, they've dropped prices to compete. However with the Phenom II they delivered on what the Phenom I should've and now with the Dragon platform they're stepping up their game.

Soon AMD will be releasing their top end chips and I have a fealing it'll end up putting a dent in thei7 armour. I've bought an X3 720 BE myself, for £120 you just can't go wrong.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I don't believe a higher clocked chip will help AMD outperform a Core i7.  The reason the Core i7 performs so well in productivity tasks is because they practically removed the l2 cache and has all access to cache go straight to l3 which causes fewer ticks per calculation.  It would take AMD a redesign of their CPU to match and that isn't happening until 2010/2011.

AMD right now has chips that perform better then Core 2 architecture, which like argicola1 said makes it the best pick sub-$1000 PC.

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133

Thanks.

Get the I7, The base x58 board, 2-or 3- 9800 GTX's+ ($104.00 per card) ,aftermarket cooler....

And do this to it. Jacob is some big wig at EVGA

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527&mpage=1&key=&#642527

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Sir_Drip

Get the I7, The base x58 board, 2-or 3- 9800 GTX's+ ($104.00 per card) ,aftermarket cooler....
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527&mpage=1&key=&#642527

I don't know, that $104 price is for the refurbished ones, you only get a 90 day warranty on those. I've had to warranty 3 video cards in the last year that were past 90 days and there's no guarantee those refurbs aren't fault prone already.

• AlloughNAlloughN Member Posts: 168

To be honest, if your buying for gaming only, and its a quad core you want, go with AMD Phenom II 945 (or higher) BE.

The extra several hundred dollars for the i7 940 or 965  is only going to buy you about 7% more REAL GAME performance.

Instead, sink that money you saved into the GPU or two if you can afford it. a 4870 X2 or GeForce GTX 295. That will increase your gaming performance drastically more than a i7 over a phenom II 945 will.

BUT, if your planning on doing other CPU heavy stuff like Photoshop, Video coding/decoding etc a i7, any i7, even the 279$ 920 is going to SLAUGHTER almost anything AMD has ((see the phenom II 955 disclaimer at bottom)).

So basically, if you plan more than gaming and normal productivity ((lots of photoshop and heavy video encoding)), go with the i7 920.

((From what I've seen in real world, in gaming Phenom II 940 is pretty much = to the i7920

In photoshop, the i7 920 is around 13% faster than the Phenom II 940

I haven't had the chance to drool on a 955 BE yet, but rumor has it that it closes with the i7 920 in the productivity side and gets slightly better on the gaming side too.))

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by noquarter

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527&mpage=1&key=??

I don't know, that $104 price is for the refurbished ones, you only get a 90 day warranty on those. I've had to warranty 3 video cards in the last year that were past 90 days and there's no guarantee those refurbs aren't fault prone already.

That's prolly a good idea!  I willing to take chances...others may not. I think you can still get them for $129.99 with a $10.00 mail in rebate.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527&mpage=1&key=??

That's prolly a good idea!  I willing to take chances...others may not. I think you can still get them for $129.99 with a $10.00 mail in rebate.

Yea they are a good deal if you are willing to take chances, and at least if you SLI them and one does die you can still use your computer with the other(s) hehe.

• Dreadknot357Dreadknot357 Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by AlloughN

To be honest, if your buying for gaming only, and its a quad core you want, go with AMD Phenom II 945 (or higher) BE.
    The extra several hundred dollars for the i7 940 or 965  is only going to buy you about 7% more REAL GAME performance.
    Instead, sink that money you saved into the GPU or two if you can afford it. a 4870 X2 or GeForce GTX 295. That will increase your gaming performance drastically more than a i7 over a phenom II 945 will.
    BUT, if your planning on doing other CPU heavy stuff like Photoshop, Video coding/decoding etc a i7, any i7, even the 279$ 920 is going to SLAUGHTER almost anything AMD has ((see the phenom II 955 disclaimer at bottom)).

So basically, if you plan more than gaming and normal productivity ((lots of photoshop and heavy video encoding)), go with the i7 920.

((From what I've seen in real world, in gaming Phenom II 940 is pretty much = to the i7920
    I haven't had the chance to drool on a 955 BE yet, but rumor has it that it closes with the i7 920 in the productivity side and gets slightly better on the gaming side too.))

not to burn your bridges   but take a look at my PC.........

I stupid high end game and Digital paint...look at my sig..(i hand painted it) with CS3

And let me say there is no game or non 3D cad app that i cant play on max.    nothing

and as far as i know that AMD chip can not OC to what im running ;with DDR3 1600 on air.  let alone the 4.5's and 5. on water.

a PC is not made up of one fast piece of hard ware that beats the other.. the overall Performance comes from everything inside it.

if you cant get all the rest of your setup to match the performance of the chip... then its moot.

Meaning... just cause  one chip (in theroy) can dupe the other doesnt mean that the whole setup will.

IF you have a 454 big block with flat tires....its not going to out run a 4 banger with racing slicks....nuff said

And also  why are you posting the 940 and 965?   the 940 and 920 are the same, one is push high in clocks, and the other is just unlocked....  and as you can see in my sig down there..... i Got my $220 chip (cheaper than the new AMD to a higher  value than the 965 @ stock

the whole point of learning about PC's is to learn to OC  then all that price/performance goes out the window.  IF you get the skills you will always pay less.

"Beauty is only is only skin deep..." said the AMD/ATI fan. "Blah..Thats just what ugly people say..." said the Intel/Nvidia fan. You want price / performance, use the dollar menu..

• SmurfMagicSmurfMagic Member Posts: 664
    Originally posted by Dreadknot357

Originally posted by AlloughN

not to burn your bridges   but take a look at my PC.........

I stupid high end game and Digital paint...look at my sig..(i hand painted it) with CS3

And let me say there is no game or non 3D cad app that i cant play on max.    nothing

and as far as i know that AMD chip can not OC to what im running ;with DDR3 1600 on air.  let alone the 4.5's and 5. on water.

a PC is not made up of one fast piece of hard ware that beats the other.. the overall Performance comes from everything inside it.

if you cant get all the rest of your setup to match the performance of the chip... then its moot.

Meaning... just cause  one chip (in theroy) can dupe the other doesnt mean that the whole setup will.

IF you have a 454 big block with flat tires....its not going to out run a 4 banger with racing slicks....nuff said

And also  why are you posting the 940 and 965?   the 940 and 920 are the same, one is push high in clocks, and the other is just unlocked....  and as you can see in my sig down there..... i Got my $220 chip (cheaper than the new AMD to a higher  value than the 965 @ stock

the whole point of learning about PC's is to learn to OC  then all that price/performance goes out the window.  IF you get the skills you will always pay less.

Ya, one time I bought a Cyrix 686 and over clocked it. It lasted 4 months.

The real trick is finding at what point a given GPU becomes CPU bound - this is the point you need to up the processor. A GTX 260 for example does not need an i7 of any kind because the system will be GPU bound regardless. The i7 will just be idling if you match it up with any single GPU and an idling CPU is wasted money.

This means if you buy an i7 you need to match it up with a multi-GPU setup. If you can't afford an SLI setup because you bought an i7 then you bought the wrong CPU.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The real trick is finding at what point a given GPU becomes CPU bound - this is the point you need to up the processor. A GTX 260 for example does not need an i7 of any kind because the system will be GPU bound regardless. The i7 will just be idling if you match it up with any single GPU and an idling CPU is wasted money.

This means if you buy an i7 you need to match it up with a multi-GPU setup. If you can't afford an SLI setup because you bought an i7 then you bought the wrong CPU.

Well, I just ordered my new core i7 system (been building my own for the last 15 years, decided to buy an Alienware this time), and I think it's ok to go i7 with a single GPU if you plan to order a second GPU later. The core i7 will give you plenty of room to grow i the future, especially with the memory bandwidth improvements. If you are the kind of person who keeps his gaming rig around for 3 years before replacing it, rather than yearly for some, I would get the Core i7 system to assure your system won't be completely obsolete in a year.

I actually ordered mine with a single 295 (dual GPU) http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_295_us.html with plans to add a second in a couple months.  This is more than enough for MMO's, but a second 295 will destroy all.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Thanks.

My personal opinion is you can buy either one and at an equivilant price point you will be happy either way.

If you have money to burn you can go to the higher price point Intel's and get some extra "performance".  As to what you personally are actually going to notice... I couldn't say.

For me if someone told me I could save 13% on render times by moving up to an I7 from my E8400....  No I wouldn't pay the money.  That's just me tho...

Well if I had the money I would do it because I like to put systems together.  Anyway my first line was the short version from my point of view.

As to some of the talk I saw on video cards... that depends.  If you are interested in a paticular thing you might actually want to research which product has more current issues (if either).  We sell digital "art" in a paticular online environment that has a fairly nasty Nvidia based Texture bug that has been around for a while (as an example).

• WeaponXWeaponX Member Posts: 241

A few years ago I would say AMD and that was all I would run but now Intel is kicking AMD's ass and the price is getting closer as well so if you have a few extra $$ laying around go Intel, much easyer to OC and can really put AMD to shame.

Assassin's like to do it in the dark and from behind.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Well, I just ordered my new core i7 system (been building my own for the last 15 years, decided to buy an Alienware this time), and I think it's ok to go i7 with a single GPU if you plan to order a second GPU later. The core i7 will give you plenty of room to grow i the future, especially with the memory bandwidth improvements. If you are the kind of person who keeps his gaming rig around for 3 years before replacing it, rather than yearly for some, I would get the Core i7 system to assure your system won't be completely obsolete in a year.
    I actually ordered mine with a single 295 (dual GPU) http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_295_us.html with plans to add a second in a couple months.  This is more than enough for MMO's, but a second 295 will destroy all.

I agree , first the 295 is a dual-GPU/really fast card that can benefit from the i7, but (not speaking of your setup here) I would say the yearly GPU upgrader will benefit more from the i7 as the CPU will still be able to power the next line of GPUs. Someone who waits 3 years to upgrade anything isn't going to see any benefit though because they're still on the same mismatched CPU/GPU for 3 years, and after year 3 they'll need a new cpu to power the new gpu's.

System balance... I'm sorry, my paragraph structure must be worse than what I thought :P I was trying to tell him that a i7 isn't going to help him over a system with a slightly slower processor that has a good graphics card to match it with.

I've got a 945 with a 4870x2 and 5 gbs of ram (woulda been six, but I sold one of the sticks to a neighboor for about the same price I bought the 2 1gb sticks from newegg lol) and I wouldn't trade it for a i7 system with ANY graphics card in it. I'm not into getting a new 250-300$ mobo each time a new proc comes out, and besides like someone already said, the i7 will be idiling. Expescially now that the GPU's are starting to be used for video processing work.

I know, horrible right? I put in 2 2gb sticks and a 1gb stick. :P

Besides, its only a matter of time before AMD gets the performance crown back. They really dropped the ball with the Phenom, but they seem back in the groove and pitching a no-hitter with the Phenom II line. Can't wait for the day :D Expecially since I know I will be able to just drop it in my existing AM3 mobo!

what....?

you just dont use your CPU for Gameing...there are other things that go on when you turn your power on.

Hey NOquarter  what system you running. ?   whats your Specs look like....you talk alot of game...Back it up...

how do you know that its a waste of money?...run one lately?.....God damn man.  you are like this little Internet bug..flying around tryin to best people with other peoples trial and errors.  Fuck off.    I got the Wrong CPU..ohhh  i didnt realize.... that i took my single card from my last system...instead of sli-ing it, i was going to wait till September and pick up 3x 300 Gpus.  with my brand new copy of windows 7.  thanx man  i didnt get it untill up made me understand. ...lol

See i have the money... whats in your wallet....a  gateway?

"Beauty is only is only skin deep..." said the AMD/ATI fan. "Blah..Thats just what ugly people say..." said the Intel/Nvidia fan. You want price / performance, use the dollar menu..

• Windrider30Windrider30 Member Posts: 41

Personally I will stick with AMD mostly because of the price. With AMD your not buying the name brand where as with INTEl thats all your really buying is the name brand. Now yes some of INTEL's CPU will out preform AMD currently but AMD is planing on releasing a 12 core cpu  (drool) some time around the middle of this year or near the end of it or that is their goal anyways. But to be honest going over a tri core seems a bit strange since there is really no software currently out that takes FULL advantage of multi core cpus. As for graphics cards I agree with what one person has already said about its the WHOLE system that matters. As for graphics cards i prefer to stick with nvida simply because I have never had an issue with their cards and they last a good while before blowing out.

Just remember the old addage. "You get what you pay for" this statement i have found is very true when it comes to the elertonic world.

And if your using a server for your main computer, I'm sure you will enjoy that 12 core chip :P

http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?58134

Originally posted by Windrider30

Personally I will stick with AMD mostly because of the price. With AMD your not buying the name brand where as with INTEl thats all your really buying is the name brand. Now yes some of INTEL's CPU will out preform AMD currently but AMD is planing on releasing a 12 core cpu  (drool) some time around the middle of this year or near the end of it or that is their goal anyways. But to be honest going over a tri core seems a bit strange since there is really no software currently out that takes FULL advantage of multi core cpus. As for graphics cards I agree with what one person has already said about its the WHOLE system that matters. As for graphics cards i prefer to stick with nvida simply because I have never had an issue with their cards and they last a good while before blowing out.

Just remember the old addage. "You get what you pay for" this statement i have found is very true when it comes to the elertonic world.

As though i don't see eye to eye with the AMD statement. but this is what these forums need... more people like you,

who are more objective and un bias..... the fact that you admit ed to AMD/Nivida is not common.

i was the one that stated that post "whole" Pc and "What you pay for". and its the truth

If more people had alttile more sense about them, they would understand that this is a business AND AMD/INTEL/ATI/NVIDIA

Are not looking out for their best interest . they want your money and they will lie, cheat, and steal to get it...

Great line from a movie that i live by. "Why do you worship the Yankees...will they pay your rent if your broke.?" Bronkx tale

I use what ever company, that gives me the best product for a fair Price, and can hold that title for longest, and has a solid future. and right now I'm INTEL/NVIDIA if that changes and AMD or ATI takes the crown and can hold it for a long time...i will switch... I hold no loyalty. INTEL DOSENT PAY MY BILLS, I PAY THEIRS.

My loyalty is gaming what ever makes me the best.... is what i want.