Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Hope For This Game

LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

I only hope that Reakktor can produce a game and actually finish it unlike their previous game, Neocron.

This post is not meant to be a troll. I am just sharing my hopes for this game based off of my previous experience with Reakkor. I hope they learned something about putting out a game that was actually at it's peak during beta.

Reakktor has great ideas and cncepts but absolutley terrible execution.

Comments

• solnicarissolnicaris Member Posts: 148

With peoples expectations getting higher and higher for all MMO's you do have to meet certain points for most gamers and I can do without next gen graphics for great game play and updates and support. I never played neocron but if I do remember it was there first try at the MMO scene so maybe the 2nd time around they will correct any faults. Trust me the game community will make them do the right thing or people will make them suffer :) That's the thing about MMO's is if it is crap or the development house doesn't take care of the community the community will leave and that means no monthly fee to collect in the end it always about the $$.

Come and checkout my website:
    SpaceSimCentral.com - Your Space Sim Community Gaming Resource
    Discuss EVE, JGE, BP, Infinity, Taikodom, FL, FS, HW, WC, X and more

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

EEEEEEWWWW! Not Reakktor! When I saw that name I started racking my brain trying to remember where I had seen it and what games they had made in the past. Now that you have reminded me I understand why I felt so worried when I saw that name.

Neocron was simply a very good idea but a very bad game. I remember when I saw the website for the game and all the feautres they were claiming it would have (in perticular I liked their system of giving you a faction to work for and then that faction providing you a place to live and a job to do) I was shocked that I had never played the game before and that people weren't falling all over themselves to get into the game. Then I tried the trial and uninstalled the game only a few hours later feeling glad I hadn't wasted any money on it. It came nowhere near to living up to the hype and I understood why so few people played it.

Another poster in this thread said he hopes that Reakktor learned their lesson after Neocron and will do better this time around. I wouldn't count on it. The one thing I've learned about MMORPG developers is that they NEVER learn their lesson. The only thing you can count on them to do is always get the same things right and the same things wrong. Look at Funcom. They released Anarchy Online in an obviously buggy and unfinished state. It took them years to patch it up to a decent standard where people actually started to enjoy the game. A lot of people thought they would do better with Age of Conan because they should have learned their lesson. They didn't learn. They pulled the same stupid stunt with Age of Conan, they ignored beta testers and released the game unfinished. Here we are a year later and many people still say it has a long way to go before it actually becomes fun. MMORPG developers NEVER learn.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Raltar

EEEEEEWWWW! Not Reakktor! When I saw that name I started racking my brain trying to remember where I had seen it and what games they had made in the past. Now that you have reminded me I understand why I felt so worried when I saw that name.
    Neocron was simply a very good idea but a very bad game. I remember when I saw the website for the game and all the feautres they were claiming it would have (in perticular I liked their system of giving you a faction to work for and then that faction providing you a place to live and a job to do) I was shocked that I had never played the game before and that people weren't falling all over themselves to get into the game. Then I tried the trial and uninstalled the game only a few hours later feeling glad I hadn't wasted any money on it. It came nowhere near to living up to the hype and I understood why so few people played it.
    Another poster in this thread said he hopes that Reakktor learned their lesson after Neocron and will do better this time around. I wouldn't count on it. The one thing I've learned about MMORPG developers is that they NEVER learn their lesson. The only thing you can count on them to do is always get the same things right and the same things wrong. Look at Funcom. They released Anarchy Online in an obviously buggy and unfinished state. It took them years to patch it up to a decent standard where people actually started to enjoy the game. A lot of people thought they would do better with Age of Conan because they should have learned their lesson. They didn't learn. They pulled the same stupid stunt with Age of Conan, they ignored beta testers and released the game unfinished. Here we are a year later and many people still say it has a long way to go before it actually becomes fun. MMORPG developers NEVER learn.

If everyone judged a game fail/success 100% within the first few hours like you do. Their would be no market for mmorpg's at all whatsoever. You are best sticking to arcade games or actually going to the arcade. Nothing wrong with that and it gives your short term senses a rush.

I don't know much about neocron myself, but what past discussions I have heard about it, the game is even extremely amazing, or too slow to start off. So before you /fail it, understand it's a hit or miss between an individual, but not neccesarily everyone.

FYI other games like FFXI and EVE have a fanbase which would eat you alive for insulting their game, yet many who don't have any patience nver play it past an hour and waste their money on something they won't give a chance. FFXI in particular is a game that has real challenges and you don't deck everything out in the first week, or for the matter, the first year. Hell even the top players in the game who have played 4+ years have things they have not acheived. 3 hours isn't even a good assessment for a themepark cartoon game like WoW, let alone a game that's ment to be more choicy.

On another note, as long as this setting is in space, and it has nice gfx, good combat, which most people can already see it does just by the trailers/gameplay trailer. Then it will in fact strongly cater to a certain audience. This game is already an automatic win to a certain group. It's hard to get a space game wrong, because in the end. Their aren't that many space "MMO's" To be judged in the first place. So learning from past experience as far as the "space genre goes" Is pretty hard to fail at because in MMO terms, space mmo's are still in their infancy.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Lordmonkus

I only hope that Reakktor can produce a game and actually finish it unlike their previous game, Neocron.
    This post is not meant to be a troll. I am just sharing my hopes for this game based off of my previous experience with Reakkor. I hope they learned something about putting out a game that was actually at it's peak during beta.

Hopefully they force you to actually go to some warpgate or jump system of some sort, or at least have you activate some hyperspace crap before throwing you into a mission instance. That is what it takes to make me happy.

From what I saw in the gameplay trailer, it made me druel over the gfx and combat, whilst I bit my tounge thinking about the system requirements. But I was really pissed when the guy just clicked a single button and went straight to the load screen and put him into the mission instance... I understand they want to get you to the gameplay and action faster, as they stated that they want people to jump into intense combat really easily. but at least make it seem like your spaceship has to do something to actually get to the destination. These are spaceships, not teleportaion devices for crap sake.

Reakktor better do something about that fast pace they are going for. I don't mind that they want to cram alot of action in for really fast intense thrills. But it would be nice and a little more immersive to actually see your ship start some jump sequence. A good example would half to be Freelancer and swg's jump to lightspeed. JTL had you do a coundown in a certain direction and it shot you into the stars like you where going into hyperdrive, then it opened the load screen. That was acceptable.

Insta-load screen = unacceptable in a space game.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

I dont think anyone here is slagging on the game yet. I know I certainly am not since I only know what I have seen in the videos. I guess I made this thread because I have had experience with Reakktor and their previous game Neocron. I probably played the game for aboiut a year when you included beta and launch.

Now like I have said already in this thread and others here. Based an what I do know about Reakktor and their previous game is that Reakktor could not fix many of the bugs that plagued the game for atleast several years. The game had great ideas and concepts, some of which mmo makers aren't even doing today. The game was just littered with unfinished areas and borked small things.

One great example of this was with the way the Psi Monks targeting worked you could get a target on people hiding behind building and then proceed to blast them. It's really hard to explain unless you were there and played back in the day. Everyone who played the game loved it but hated how Reakktor treated the game and its players after a while.

The whole rebadging of Neocron into Neocron 2 and then forcing the people who already bought and subscribed the go rebuy and resub for the same game was pretty low.

I just hope Reakktor has learned from it and that is all. Great potential for an awesome game as long as they finish the game this time.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by denshing

If everyone judged a game fail/success 100% within the first few hours like you do. Their would be no market for mmorpg's at all whatsoever. You are best sticking to arcade games or actually going to the arcade. Nothing wrong with that and it gives your short term senses a rush. 

I don't know much about neocron myself,

So, you admit to knowing nothing about this game and yet you come in here to insult me because I did not like it? Yeah... that makes a whole ton of sense.

To put this simply: I played the game, you didn't. Keep your insults to yourself.

• lowradslowrads Member UncommonPosts: 200

I don't really know much about this game, but I hope that by focusing on combat, the game also focuses on player cooperation and competition.

I am so sick of spending 90% of awake time in mmos dealing with npcs, or being unable to compete economically with those who choose to deal with npcs instead of other players.  I haven't played any game in almost a year because of this.

Any game is eventually just "push butan" until you involve devious politics and economic treachery.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808
    Originally posted by lowrads

I don't really know much about this game, but I hope that by focusing on combat, the game also focuses on player cooperation and competition.

I am so sick of spending 90% of awake time in mmos dealing with npcs, or being unable to compete economically with those who choose to deal with npcs instead of other players.  I haven't played any game in almost a year because of this.

Any game is eventually just "push butan" until you involve devious politics and economic treachery.

Those are things Reakktor did well in Neocron so I would hope they bring that over to this game. Neocron had avery good crafting system requiring some co operation and it had a good player economy. Every item in the game had durability and eventually broke and had to be replaced. Weapons effectiveness would drop as the weapon got lower in quality. You could repair items but they never got back to their previous level of quality.

The other way Neocron encouraged teamwork was with the player controlled outposts in the game giving various bonus depending on the type of outpost it was. But like everything else in the game it was borked in some way and made the outposts not really worth taking for any reason other than to have fights over them.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

I have hopes for this game as well, hopefully it'll get more press than neocron, but its looking quite nice.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Lordmonkus

nice another eve online !i ll go play eve online