Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Penny Arcade comic : Homosexuality in Star Wars: The Old Republic

Comments

• catsaadcatsaad Member Posts: 176

gay people are said to be doomed in bible .the last pope declared gay people as ignorant ones and against the christ teaching .if you are smuggling and giving the money to orphans .it will still remain smuggling!!!.i have said the right thing and do what you like but this is truth .truth is always  bitter .i dont care if i loose membership .i have my conscience which is more important than stupid memberships!!!

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

Well, what a sticky subject. All I can say is I've seen hate from both sides of the fence, including the "victim" gays, and I do have a problem if they try to force their agenda on people who don't want it forced on them. Even gays would probably not like it if something they opposed was shoved down their throats. So, overall, I agree with Abrahm here. As for Elikal's original post, it's their forums, and they can censor whatever words they want for whichever reasons they deem appropriate.

And at catsaad...errm, yeah, that's why they deserve pity more than hate. People will always sin, and God gave us free will, so they conciously turn their backs on him and how he created us.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by dhayes68

Originally posted by Abrahmm

Originally posted by kinido

Originally posted by Vrazule

Originally posted by Nergle

You know,  I don't have anything with homosexuality and it's members playing in a MMO but, what I do have a problem with is a "forced" homosexuality placed in a MMO when not everyone lives that life style.

Its like taking a specific religion in a MMO and saying "hey except it.", which would be MMO suicide.
    I say if you want homosexuality in the game and just feel a need to have it around you, start a homo sexual guild of like minded individuals.

Like it stated in the post above yours, which you obiously didn't read.  We are tired of hetero themes being forced on us in games and they ARE contantly in our face.  If you don't want homosexual themes, then it goes to say there shouldn't be any heterosexual either.  Bioware is famous for having romance themes in their games and it would really be nice if they accepted and catered to others along with those of the hetero persuasion.  One out of ten people are gay or bisexual.  That is a large percentage of the population and we deserve to be treated with respect and if a game is going to shove heterosexual themes down our throats, then they should include gay ones too.

That is absolutely ridiculous. First, I'd like to see any backing to support that statistic. Secondly, do you know why heterosexual themes are displayed in video games? Because it is normal, and it is natural.

I, personally, don't want to see any man on man action in any of my video games, sorry.

/fail .. nice way to show the world how much of a bigot you are XD 

Everyone is a bigot in some form or way. I don't throw around acceptance to things that I think are wrong just because "that's who they are". I find homosexuality, from a scientific and moral view, to be wrong, so I don't show a lot of tolerance for it. Just as people don't tolerate murderers because "Oh that's just who they are". Does that make me a bigot? Sure, I guess so on this subject.  I'm not, nor do I go out of my way, to be mean or insult homosexuals, but I don't support it, and I'll argue against it when that agenda is pushed on me. You show you are a bigot by not accepting my bigotry. We're even.

I gotta ask: What "scientific" view causes you to find homosexuality to be wrong? And since we're being 'scientific' please define what you mean by 'wrong'.  Cause I'm not sure you mean what you think you mean.  If I were to hazard a guess I would think that you are using some vague understanding of what you think are scientific principles to justify your moral objection.

And when you say "agenda is pushed on me" are you referring to merely publicly acknowledging they exist and deserve equal respect?

Well scientifically speaking, what is the point of sexuality? It is primarily for reproduction. Yes, other human needs are met with it, but it's primary function is reproduction. For a species, when an individual is homosexual, they do not reproduce. This lack of reproduction means that their gene's are not passed on. Individuals who's genes are not passed on are generally considered failures of the species, much the same way natural selection works. If the primary function of sexuality is reproduction and an individual is using it in a way that cannot ever meet that goal, I see that as wrong, scientifically.

As for the agenda, well trying to push homosexual content into games seems like an agenda to me. I know the original post from Eikle wasn't pushing this, but others in the thread were.

You're aware that homosexual people CAN reproduce?  They suffer no physiological inability to reproduce.  In fact many gay people do reproduce. What about straight people who don't reproduce for some reason or another? What about straight people who are infertile? Are they also scientifically wrong in your view?

I understand what you're saying but I got to tell you, you're way off base on this.  I still think, and you're reply backs me up that your scientific reasoning is merely a thinly disguised attempt to backstop your more irrational moral objections.

Sure, they can, but they don't(not naturally at least). It isn't a physiological inability to reproduce, but apparently they have a psychological one. Sterility is a physical disability that usually can't be helped. They are failing to reproduce, but to no fault of their own. 

Just because you disagree with me doesn't make my opinion irrational. Just as I will never convince you that homosexuality is wrong, you are never going to convince me that it is right.

Frankly, I don't really care what people do, as long as they keep it to themselves. Be gay for all you want, I really don't care. I don't approve of it, but I don't care. Pushing a homosexual agenda onto me is where I have issues.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

Originally posted by Umbral

You know I am not talking about natural lower voice, you know I am not talking about people who really enjoy sports or beer, I am talking about men who act in front of other men, this is very common, I am talking about men who says all women are whores, who calls sensitive men "fags" who fake a louder and lower voice, who do "men things" to be acceptet as men, I am talking about the "male image", you and me know, a lot of people just act this way to be accepted as as a "normal" man.
    We can say the same about some homosexuals, the social act.
    I am talking about the masculine cliche who does not reflect a real person but a "masculine" image.
    Social behavior is, in most cases, fake, this is why you will see some people acting "different" only after they reveal who they really are.
    What I said is not an argument, it is the true, it is what happens.
    When someone says sexuality is part of social identity (and deep identity values), it is not just an argument, this is accepted as psychological fact.
    What you call normal is in most cases cultural and social.
    The typical male image you see as "normal"  is a cultural pattern, not an universal human behavior.

Again, relate it back to primitive instinct. Which males mate with females in many species? The males that present themselves as the biggest, the baddest, the toughest, and the manliest. The ones that put on the best show for the females. So in essence this can be seen as a primitive instinct re-emerging in a modern way. But what is natural about a male acting like a female to attract other males? Nothing really. The closest I can think of is the cuttlefish. Sometimes the smaller males will pretend to be females in order to avoid fighting with the bigger males, and then slip by them and mate with a real female un-noticed. But even then, the end goal is still reproduction. 

You can't compare human instincts with another specie instincts.

There is nothing "baddest" about the western male cliche, it is much more goofy than really "dungerous".

In japan the male typical attitude is different than in US, would tell me this is because the primitive japanese male were not a "hunter" or a "warrior" in the past?

Not always you can justify modern human bevavior using the primitive human side, sometimes you will find the answer between cultural preconceptions.

Bisexualism was a common and normal pratice in primitive tribes and later on in ancient History, would you tell me the typical western male is more in touch with his primitive side today then they were in the past?

Homosexualism was a common practice between greek warriors, would you tell me that the western male drinking light beer, watching soccer and calling the other males "fags" because they don't look like Homer Simpson is more "badass" than a greek warrior?

Homosexual shamans were and are common in South America indian tribes, would tell me that the modern male man is more in touch with its primitive side than a shaman?

Bisexualism is also easy to find in nature, but as I said, you can´t compare species when we talk about instinctive behavior.

The modern male cliche dont even know how to approach modern women, do you really think the "though boy" between males but coward between women and scared between homosexuals is an example of the primitive male side?

Sure, they can, but they don't(not naturally at least). It isn't a physiological inability to reproduce, but apparently they have a psychological one. Sterility is a physical disability that usually can't be helped. They are failing to reproduce, but to no fault of their own. 
    Just because you disagree with me doesn't make my opinion irrational. Just as I will never convince you that homosexuality is wrong, you are never going to convince me that it is right.

Sterility is a quality in today´s world.

We are in the age of sex for pleasure , reproduction today is a danger to human race.

We don't need more people in this world, at least not right now.

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

I started to read this post.....then thought much better of it.  The last thing I need to read is a debate about the biology and morality of homosexuality from people who are posting on an MMO forum......

Good grief......

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

You know I am not talking about natural lower voice, you know I am not talking about people who really enjoy sports or beer, I am talking about men who act in front of other men, this is very common, I am talking about men who says all women are whores, who calls sensitive men "fags" who fake a louder and lower voice, who do "men things" to be acceptet as men, I am talking about the "male image", you and me know, a lot of people just act this way to be accepted as as a "normal" man.
    We can say the same about some homosexuals, the social act.
    I am talking about the masculine cliche who does not reflect a real person but a "masculine" image.
    Social behavior is, in most cases, fake, this is why you will see some people acting "different" only after they reveal who they really are.
    What I said is not an argument, it is the true, it is what happens.
    When someone says sexuality is part of social identity (and deep identity values), it is not just an argument, this is accepted as psychological fact.
    What you call normal is in most cases cultural and social.
    The typical male image you see as "normal"  is a cultural pattern, not an universal human behavior.

Again, relate it back to primitive instinct. Which males mate with females in many species? The males that present themselves as the biggest, the baddest, the toughest, and the manliest. The ones that put on the best show for the females. So in essence this can be seen as a primitive instinct re-emerging in a modern way. But what is natural about a male acting like a female to attract other males? Nothing really. The closest I can think of is the cuttlefish. Sometimes the smaller males will pretend to be females in order to avoid fighting with the bigger males, and then slip by them and mate with a real female un-noticed. But even then, the end goal is still reproduction. 

You can't compare human instincts with another specie instincts.

There is nothing "baddest" about the western male cliche, it is much more goofy than really "dungerous".

In japan the male typical attitude is different than in US, would tell me this is because the primitive japanese male were not a "hunter" or a "warrior" in the past?

Not always you can justify modern human bevavior using the primitive human side, sometimes you will find the answer between cultural preconceptions.

Bisexualism was a common and normal pratice in primitive tribes and later on in ancient History, would you tell me the typical western male is more in touch with his primitive side today then they were in the past?

Homosexualism was a common practice between greek warriors, would you tell me that the western male drinking light beer, watching soccer and calling the other males "fags" because they don't look like Homer Simpson is more "badass" than a greek warrior?

Homosexual shamans were and are common in South America indian tribes, would tell me that the modern male man is more in touch with its primitive side than a shaman?

Bisexualism is also easy to find in nature, but as I said, you can´t compare species when we talk about instinctive behavior.

The modern male cliche dont even know how to approach modern women, do you really think the "though boy" between males but coward between women and scared between homosexuals is an example of the primitive male side?

There are always abnormalities in the behaviors of every species. You have pointed out many examples of homosexuality in history. Does that suddenly make it right? Would me pointing out the vastly more abundant examples of heterosexuality in history make me more right?

As I said above, I am never going to convince you that homosexuality is wrong, just as you are never going to convince me that it is right. It is an opinion for a reason. It's objective, and up to the individual to decide for themselves. I made my decision, as you have made yours.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

Abrahmm

I am not trying to express what is right or wrong, those values are relative and in most cases just an illusion.

Just poiting what is human, what is natural to human  and showing to you that the western male and female cliche are not exacly related to the primitive human side, but a cultural expression.

About the rest, lets agree to disagree.

• tfwarlordtfwarlord Member Posts: 216

i also remember this topic from swg. You could parry a person if you found a certain ring, but you couldent marry same sex, so a guild was formed on the chrimera server which fought for the right for same sex marriages. This guild was banned of SOE if memory serves.

This was very a very silly thing to do from SOE I think. Personally I think same sex marriages should be possible irl as well as ig, but while ig its up to sony of cause, but people should not be hindered or punished from trying change things (as long as it dosent cause direct discrimination, so no natzi parties on SOE servers plz). A group fighting for gay marriages should be allowed to exist.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Wow... I just had a RL alignment shift.

Funny thing. Used to be Lawful Good once. Funny.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

What is the actual problem here?

Initially the mods on TOR had words like 'gay' and 'lesbian' filtered because they are words often used to insult people, rather than being used in their true meanings. Elikal objected to this and they rightly removed these words from the filter list. That is all there is to it. Good job from Elikal and his reward was a nice cartoon.

Maybe it is because I'm a straight guy from Holland, kind of the San Francisco of Europe, tollerance wise, but I am really surprised of the amount of short sightedness and intollerance against gay people a minor issue like this brings up. It is friggin' 2009, folks! Live and let live. If you see or hear something you don't want to, turn the other way, or don't play MMO's at all if you really can't stand those who don't fit in YOUR PERSONAL view of what is natural or not.

Sure, we wouldn't exist as a species if the majority of us weren't straight, but that doesn't mean that most of the time, being gay is a completely natural thing to gay people. Whether you like it or not. They sure as hell can't help being like they are (and neither can we).

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

..... I find homosexuality, from a scientific and moral view, to be wrong, so I don't show a lot of tolerance for it. Just as people don't tolerate murderers because "Oh that's just who they are".

I gotta ask: What "scientific" view causes you to find homosexuality to be wrong? .....

Well scientifically speaking, what is the point of sexuality? It is primarily for reproduction. Yes, other human needs are met with it, but it's primary function is reproduction. For a species, when an individual is homosexual, they do not reproduce. This lack of reproduction means that their gene's are not passed on. Individuals who's genes are not passed on are generally considered failures of the species, much the same way natural selection works. If the primary function of sexuality is reproduction and an individual is using it in a way that cannot ever meet that goal, I see that as wrong, scientifically.

a) Without a doubt, the primary biological purpose of sex is reproduction. In humans, and a few other species, it is also a recreational activity.

b) Homosexuals can and do have babies.

c) That only leaves you with "the homosexual act cannot produce babies and is therefore 'wrong'".

d) Non-sexual human activity also cannot produce babies and also generally fails to serve anything you might define as a 'primary function'.

e) As for your comparing murder to homosexuality... Aggression and killing members of your own species are natural (if anti-social) drives which serve the 'primary function' of getting your genes passed on by eliminating competition. So by your standards of scientific right & wrong, murder is good, scientifically.

f) By your standards, infertile people are also wrong, scientifically. So is anyone with any kind of disability that if civilization failed and we were reduced to living in the wild, would be less capable of surviving and passing on their genes.

g) By your 'scientific' standards, medical science is an abomination - it keeps alive people who otherwise would not survive and ergo leads to the spread of weak genes.

h) Only from a viewpoint of genetic puritanism can you reach conclusions e, f & g. I won't name names, but we all know which groups hold to those values.

g) Scientifically, the planet is overpopulated and suffering from a range of ecological problems caused by humans. Therefore, scientifically speaking, reducing the number of humans on the planet is a fantastic idea and homosexuality is marvellous!

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I am 38 now and i've been playing online games from the era of muds and bbs's since 1994.

In fact I still run an adult mud a haven for mature adults of any sexual preference or lifestyle.

I class myself as bi curiouse because rare but some men I find hot :)

My wife is bi and together we have a GF (poly)

Sexuality, fetish, gay/lesbian/hetro sex has had a place in multiplayer games

for as long as they have been around.

I remember both me and my wife having quite abit of naughty fun in meridian 59,

And it was there without our help...

Any game that has an online comunity will have some sort of sexual development.

It reminds me of a question our gf asked me when we first met and it was this.

"what part of my body turns you on the most?"

My answer

"your mind"

Words, meanings, feelings and emotions can be conveyed via text or voice, via artwork or life, anyone who says sexuality has no place in games has been gaming with there head in the sand.

On swg along before I left, there was over 70 adult themed guilds based around everything from fury to D/s.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by green13

g) Scientifically, the planet is overpopulated and suffering from a range of ecological problems caused by humans. Therefore, scientifically speaking, reducing the number of humans on the planet is a fantastic idea and homosexuality is marvellous!

Exactly. Even is we are talking 2%-3% of the human population, that still means a huge group. I do not believe that such a big group is a mere freak of nature. Homosexuality is every bit as natural as heterosexuality is. The fact that gay people don't represent the reproducing part of a species doesn't change a THING about that.

Also realize that we, humans, are not only a collection of individually reproducing couples of males and females; we are group mamals. And the survival and success of a group doesn't only depend on reproduction but also on cognitive ability and having a coherent structure where different kinds of people fill in different ho ... *coughs* ...roles.

edit; look at other primates; often a group has only one alpha male with a few contenders but together, they form the minority of the group's male population. When the 'reproduction task' of a group is covered, there are a range of niches and roles to fill in for other male group members. Quite friggin' natural if you ask me.

• DrChickenDrChicken Member Posts: 263

From the standpoint of normative ethics in our modern, developed society (right now), homosexuality is wrong. We'll see whether or not that changes in the future.

For the record, bashing someone because he/she does not believe in the validity of homosexuality and, in particular, gay marriage, makes you about as wrong. Gays tend to make everything about themselves, when their "equal rights" problem only constitutes 50% of the conundrum. The other 50% is made up of the problems they introduce to society by trying to rapidly and forcefully change a dynamic that has worked for millennia.

Homosexual relations, in its nature, is an "alternative lifestyle" to that which is tried and true. By all accounts, the anus is not meant to "take things in" (I'm going to make this as PG as possible) - its function is to remove waste. It is indefensible to claim that one man loving another is wrong, but is completely correct to say that sodomy as an outlet for sexual intercourse is unnatural. The "unnatural" case has been used over and over again, and for good reason. Societies are generally built upon certain ethics and absolutes that are known to work - when you know that using "X" to get "Y" works, an attempt at using an unknown "Z," for instance, in order to get the same "Y" will always bring skepticism and, in most cases, failure. This analogy generally only works in subjective matters, where humans are prone to allowing personal feelings and perceptions to blur the ethical code they follow.

Originally posted by DrChicken

From the standpoint of normative ethics in our modern, developed society (right now), homosexuality is wrong. We'll see whether or not that changes in the future.

I'm reasonably up-to-date on international law on this topic and in very few modern, developed societies is homosexuality a criminal activity (i.e. wrong). Legal inequalities persist, but in the vast majority of modern, developed societies, these inequalities are being rectified.

What evidence do you rely on to support your claim?

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by green13

Exactly. Even is we are talking 2%-3% of the human population, that still means a huge group. I do not believe that such a big group is a mere freak of nature. Homosexuality is every bit as natural as heterosexuality is.

The irony in discussions like this is that all 'freaks of nature' are, scientifically speaking, normal. Genetic mutations - i.e. variations from the genetic norm - are what drive evolution and make a species capable of surviving both competing species and gradual or sudden changes in their environment.

What we are now (i.e. the norm) were 'freaks of nature' to our genetic predecessors.

Go back far enough and sexual reproduction - defined as the norm by some in this thread - was a 'freak of nature'. Some species of lizards (colourfully described as lesbian lizards) have even de-evolved on this particular scale and reproduce asexually.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Bioware has reversed their ban and apologized. I think we won.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Senadina

Bioware has reversed their ban and apologized. I think we won.

Honestly, after reading most of this thread (and occasionally poking fun at it), i'm pretty sure we all lost.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

I may not agree with homosexuality. I may even find it immoral , but I do believe in giving them respect. I find it hard to believe people don't understand why one would want a glbt guild. Has anyone ever thought about what they have to hear on a daily basis from ignorant morons? I myself am guilty from time to time of things that one might find offensive. So is it any wonder why they would just rather hang out with people of similar interests to create a better atmosphere in which they can play the game?

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

This just might be the gayest thread I've ever read. :)

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Everything has its positive side.

The ugly heterosexual man can thank God for the homosexual men. After all, it means less competition with the ladies.

It would only be a problem if all the goodlooking men and women would get homosexual. But fortunately thats not the case

On a serious note:

Stop being homophobic already.

• doomdealer79doomdealer79 Member Posts: 24

Silly queer dicks are for chicks

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Bama1267

I may not agree with homosexuality. I may even find it immoral , but I do believe in giving them respect. I find it hard to believe people don't understand why one would want a glbt guild. Has anyone ever thought about what they have to hear on a daily basis from ignorant morons? I myself am guilty from time to time of things that one might find offensive. So is it any wonder why they would just rather hang out with people of similar interests to create a better atmosphere in which they can play the game?

Yeah, I can understand where you are coming from. I have the same thing with ginger hair. It is wrong and immoral! They should be stopped from pursuing a gingerhaired life!

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827
    Originally posted by someforumguy

Everything has its positive side.
    The ugly heterosexual man can thank God for the homosexual men. After all, it means less competition with the ladies.
    It would only be a problem if all the goodlooking men and women would get homosexual. But fortunately thats not the case
    On a serious note:
    Stop being homophobic already.

Homophobic? Lol. That's another stupid term I've heard thrown around.

This discussion has been closed.