Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Penny Arcade comic : Homosexuality in Star Wars: The Old Republic

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by dhayes68

Also I didn't say it was used ONLY in a derogatory tone. It merely often is. Bioware is perfectly capable of filtering people who are being insulting rather than just using words that they consider offensive. Forums do it all the time. Someone flames or goes way off topic mods step in all the time, regardless of the actual words used.

True enough, and I agree with you, but this requires they take direct action to punish offenders, which consumes time and manpower.

I can see why they'd prefer the easier route by having words filtered out completely so that the problem can be resolved passively.

I expect the game to filter these words, even if they've graciously decided to allow people  to use them in the forums.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

No really sexuality matters in a game.  It's not like men don't play woman in games and vice versa.  If ones not secure in there sexuality then why be apart of the world let alone the internet.  What do people think this is catholic school or something?  Srs bizness.

............................................________

....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,

.............................,.-”...................................“-.,

.........................,/...............................................”:,

.....................,?......................................................,

.................../...........................................................,}

................./......................................................,:`^`..}

.............../...................................................,:”........./

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../

............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../

.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/

..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}

...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../

...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”

............/.`~,......`-...................................../

.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__

,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,

.....`=~-,__......`,.................................

...................`=~-,,.,...............................

................................`:,,...........................`..............__

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``

........................................_..........._,-%.......`

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Umbral

Originally posted by Abrahmm

Go re-read what I said again. My comment about lisps was directed at the gay folks that "magically" develop one when they come out of the closet. That is trying to push an identity of yourself. A large amount of gay people I see act in ways that aren't natural, but are simply putting on a show to push their identity further. It is painfully obvious. Speech impetements and abnormally high voices don't just happen one day, people are usually born with such conditions. "Suddenly" showing such behaviors is an act. That was the point I was making.

Everything you said you can say about heterosexual men too.

Unatural act, louder lower voice drinking beer and trying to show his menhood watching sports, but in his intimicy he is a person, not just a masculine cliche, same happens with homosexuals.

Sexuality is a huge part of social behavior, the heterosexual "cliche" is just maybe more normal to you.

Terrible argument. Everything you said is some NATURAL form of a human male showing itself in modern ways. Lower voices are from puberty. Watching sports is the modern display of the competative nature of humans. Drinking beer is... well, just drinking beer, pretty sure girls do that too. There is nothing normal or natural about a males voice turning high and containing a lisp practically over night because they decided they were gay. There is nothing natural or normal suddenly ACTING extremely feminine. It WOULD be normal if they acted that way from birth, showing that it was a condition they were born with and always had. When it spontaneously appears due to their sexual orientation, it's an act. Plain and simple.

I can still remember one of the two gay kids in my highschool was in my gym class, and he talked and acted extremely feminine, but in gym class when he was out of his element, you could definitely see moments where he let the act down  because he was pre-occupied with something else.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• SurfriderSurfrider Member UncommonPosts: 302

Please stay on-topic.  Thanks.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

uh, surf, the topic seems to be moderation of rights, censorship, biggotry, overractive defenses, cause thumping, and agendas.  seems pretty on topic to me :P

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

*sigh*

If this event has proven me one thing crystal clear than it is this: humanity never changes. Someone must always be the downtrodden, the projection victim for all dark sides within. And as it has always been, it is still or again us gay people. I don't know why you hate us so much.

But it most clea to me that debates and discussion change nothing.

Maybe humanity doesn't deserve better. I give up. Beat us if you must, and if it makes you feel superior. I see it may be our destiny that you destroy us someday. The day humanity gets their hands on DNA coding they will wipe us out anyway, so we are doomed one way or the other. It is clear you dont want us to exist, and usually hate finds a way. In the end... it always does. just don't expect us to go down in silence.

Why does hate always have the last word? Why?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

Elikal. Just given your last post... are you expecting us to call you a.... drama.... queen, now? I mean... that was pretty emo. In today's society, those that recognize the existance of gays/ lesbians, usually have hate on both sides. Indeed both sides push their agendas, in equal manner. Many gays are as uncaring about whether you know them as gay, as there are heteros that care if you know how hetero they are. In western media, at least, however these both sides collide like napalm in Cambodia. You have the "gays" that believe that everyone is gay, but just don't know it. And that it is their job to preach the good news of their agenda. You can say they are the Jehovah's Witnesses of their political stance. On the flip side, you have people who are so uncomfortable with their own hetero sexuality that any exposure to something other than their own preference, strikes some primordeal flght or flight tactic.

It is to escape the media and other reminders of real life that people turn to games, and rpgs in particular- whether they are mmo's or not. Real life for many, seems like a cruel joke, or at best a greek tragedy. In rpg's they can make a better life for themselves, at least in their own eyes. It is for this reason, you have found such a great number cringe at the thought of bringing what appeared to be a blatant agenda to their beloved "online lives". It wasn't as much because of the agenda itself, it was because it reeked of real life. To a large majority, I reckon, Real Life has no place in MMOs.

Now, if you want to incorporate some homo tendancies into your game, feel free to substitute parts of it in your own mind. Such as the going to get flowers for some man's beloved woman, to seeing that woman as a tranny. Hell, you might even get more kicks out of it, if you did that. The MMO doesn't necessarily have to cater to anyone, but if you want it to work for you, do so within perimeters that you have. No MMO can stop you.

Now who wants to play Hello MechWarrior Kitty Online?

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

(now it's off topic I suppose.)

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • jacobujjacobuj Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by Thornwolf

There are a number of player groups based around being gay, I remember when SWG launched their forums had a major issue with these groups and their right to exist in game.
    Personally I just do not much care about it one way or the other, either you are or you are not gay. I do not see it as noteworthy, and I do not get offended by it. 
    I am sure there were gay people in the Star Wars universe however ;)

C3PO and R2D2.

'Nuff said.

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

Originally posted by Vrazule

Originally posted by Nergle

You know,  I don't have anything with homosexuality and it's members playing in a MMO but, what I do have a problem with is a "forced" homosexuality placed in a MMO when not everyone lives that life style.

Its like taking a specific religion in a MMO and saying "hey except it.", which would be MMO suicide.
    I say if you want homosexuality in the game and just feel a need to have it around you, start a homo sexual guild of like minded individuals.

Like it stated in the post above yours, which you obiously didn't read.  We are tired of hetero themes being forced on us in games and they ARE contantly in our face.  If you don't want homosexual themes, then it goes to say there shouldn't be any heterosexual either.  Bioware is famous for having romance themes in their games and it would really be nice if they accepted and catered to others along with those of the hetero persuasion.  One out of ten people are gay or bisexual.  That is a large percentage of the population and we deserve to be treated with respect and if a game is going to shove heterosexual themes down our throats, then they should include gay ones too.

That is absolutely ridiculous. First, I'd like to see any backing to support that statistic. Secondly, do you know why heterosexual themes are displayed in video games? Because it is normal, and it is natural.

I, personally, don't want to see any man on man action in any of my video games, sorry.

/fail .. nice way to show the world how much of a bigot you are XD 

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• jacobujjacobuj Member Posts: 112

Best healer I ever played with was a gay dude ( a very cool and down to earth gay dude). The only reason he stopped playing was grad school. Gay, straight, bi or tranny as long as you can play your class/race, w/e you are cool in my book.

Originally posted by kinido

You know,  I don't have anything with homosexuality and it's members playing in a MMO but, what I do have a problem with is a "forced" homosexuality placed in a MMO when not everyone lives that life style.

Its like taking a specific religion in a MMO and saying "hey except it.", which would be MMO suicide.
    I say if you want homosexuality in the game and just feel a need to have it around you, start a homo sexual guild of like minded individuals.

Like it stated in the post above yours, which you obiously didn't read.  We are tired of hetero themes being forced on us in games and they ARE contantly in our face.  If you don't want homosexual themes, then it goes to say there shouldn't be any heterosexual either.  Bioware is famous for having romance themes in their games and it would really be nice if they accepted and catered to others along with those of the hetero persuasion.  One out of ten people are gay or bisexual.  That is a large percentage of the population and we deserve to be treated with respect and if a game is going to shove heterosexual themes down our throats, then they should include gay ones too.

That is absolutely ridiculous. First, I'd like to see any backing to support that statistic. Secondly, do you know why heterosexual themes are displayed in video games? Because it is normal, and it is natural.

I, personally, don't want to see any man on man action in any of my video games, sorry.

Everyone is a bigot in some form or way. I don't throw around acceptance to things that I think are wrong just because "that's who they are". I find homosexuality, from a scientific and moral view, to be wrong, so I don't show a lot of tolerance for it. Just as people don't tolerate murderers because "Oh that's just who they are". Does that make me a bigot? Sure, I guess so on this subject.  I'm not, nor do I go out of my way, to be mean or insult homosexuals, but I don't support it, and I'll argue against it when that agenda is pushed on me. You show you are a bigot by not accepting my bigotry. We're even.

Originally posted by WisebutCruel

So basically:
    If Bioware leaves the word "gay" uncensored in the forums and then a bunch of homosexuals decide to rant and rave because Bioware won't stop the abundance of offensive insults brought about by children saying "that's gay, dude.", then Bioware is being insensitive to the homosexuals.
    If Bioware censors the word "gay" in the forums, in order to prevent the inevitable flood of /petitions by people offended by certain uses of the word, then Bioware is bigoted against homosexual men.
    Is this about the way it boils down?
    It's no wonder I consider 90% of humanity a waste of valuable real estate.

I agree with you 100% mate, i personally think that all this is doing, is giving a bad name to homosexuals, why? well because its such a little thing, i mean when i play any MMO, i just do the quests, okay, i have to give a flower to a girl from a guy, alright .. i dont really even pay attention to what im doing, nor does it phase me at all, i dont sit tehre like, OMG i wish that i was giving this to a dude instead. Nah, i dont see the reason for such an outburst at something so big.

And yeah, the word " gay " i feel is an insult, hence why when i talk about myself to friends, or about the homosexual community, i use the proper word " Homosexual " and i doubt that that word is blocked on the forums, and if it is, then theres something to bitch and complain about. But right now, i just see this forum as an argument that we shouldnt even be arguing.

And yeah, i wish in games like Lineage 2 when i was dual boxing, or meh and a friend wanted to have the marriage benefits, like most games do, with the porting next to eachother and what not, yeah, we wanted to get married, but most games dont just for the fact to get rid of the arguements/flaming/harassments and most likely threats, cause there are people who play MMO's that have the IQ of a peanut.

Outing yourself on an MMO, is your choice, your the one typing it.. ive outed myself before on MMO's to guilds that ive been with for years, and OMG WHAT A SHOCKER no ONE CARES! D: ..

Get over it already.

Everyone is a bigot in some form or way. I don't throw around acceptance to things that I think are wrong just because "that's who they are". I find homosexuality, from a scientific and moral view, to be wrong, so I don't show a lot of tolerance for it. Just as people don't tolerate murderers because "Oh that's just who they are". Does that make me a bigot? Sure, I guess so on this subject.  I'm not, nor do I go out of my way, to be mean or insult homosexuals, but I don't support it, and I'll argue against it when that agenda is pushed on me. You show you are a bigot by not accepting my bigotry. We're even.

Lol m8, i was joking .. got bored of all the OMFG HATE on this thread, so figured why not joke around a bit :P. But yes! we are even on the stance of both having bigotry in the threads we have posted. Lol.

Get over it already.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

I gotta ask: What "scientific" view causes you to find homosexuality to be wrong? And since we're being 'scientific' please define what you mean by 'wrong'.  Cause I'm not sure you mean what you think you mean.  If I were to hazard a guess I would think that you are using some vague understanding of what you think are scientific principles to justify your moral objection.

And when you say "agenda is pushed on me" are you referring to merely publicly acknowledging they exist and deserve equal respect?

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I responded on the official forum as well... but I suppose I will repeat myself here.

I don't think most of the people here have any problems with anyone expressing themselves. The problem here is that allowing these words on forums will only back-fire on the GLBT community. As soon as you allow everyone to use these words, many MMO gamers will consider it open season to begin using them in very derogatory ways. It is very unfortunate, but that is how these words are used by many.

For a lot of these people, it is not even done as an intentional offense to anyone. It is just unfortunately ingrained as slang in the English language. I often hear some of my friends use these words to decribe things that are bad and I find myself constantly reminding them that this is offensive... but unfortunately that doesn't stop them from using the words.

If you really want to be constantly offended by ignorant players who use these words (usually with no intention of offending anyone), then by all means continue to fight for the words to be un-banned. I just don't think this will work out for anyone involved.

And when it really comes down to it, no one really wants to know what the sexual preference of other players is when they are playing MMOs. Does anyone really want to know that I (hypothetically speaking) enjoy Brazilian fart porn or that my buddy has a thing for 300lb women? I certainly wouldn't want to hear about it while I'm playing my game... It simply has no place here.

MMORPGs are alternate realities and they should have no tie to the real world. This conflict does not belong here simply because we are ROLE PLAYING to begin with. Your avatar is not yourself and your problems are not the same as your character's problems. The separation of the two is necessary to allowing us all to have a care-free gaming experience and an escape from the problems of the real world.

This is, of course, just my opinion...

• colettakcolettak Member Posts: 34

Did you really just compare homosexuality to murder?  Not only are you you a bigot, you love hyperbole.  Or you're just not very good at putting things in perspective.

Being afraid of a subset of people who have done nothing wrong says a lot more about you than it does about them.  Unfortunately for you, it screams negative things to everyone who is listening to you.

Lol m8, i was joking .. got bored of all the OMFG HATE on this thread, so figured why not joke around a bit :P. But yes! we are even on the stance of both having bigotry in the threads we have posted. Lol.

Ahh sorry, my interwebs sarcasm/joke detector must not be working properly haha.

• dterrydterry Member Posts: 449

It's their game and it's their forum. If you don't like their apparent position on homosexuality then feel free to punish them for it by not giving them your money. If homosexuals really do make up 10% of the gaming population then the game will suffer. You vote with every dollar.  Just my $0.02

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

As a gay man, I am not offended by the censor of such words in a forum.  For one, I don't usually go to a forum and use such words, and another, it usually leads to derogatory statements and such.  However, I am offended by some of the "generalizations" used by some posters that have no clue of what they speak of.  Neither I, nor my husband of 10 years have a lisp, are loud, or any of the stereotypical gay things brought up by some posters.  Yes, I have known a couple through my years, but just a very small fraction of all the gay people I have met.

Lets keep the generalizations out of this topic, please.

I gotta ask: What "scientific" view causes you to find homosexuality to be wrong? And since we're being 'scientific' please define what you mean by 'wrong'.  Cause I'm not sure you mean what you think you mean.  If I were to hazard a guess I would think that you are using some vague understanding of what you think are scientific principles to justify your moral objection.

And when you say "agenda is pushed on me" are you referring to merely publicly acknowledging they exist and deserve equal respect?

Well scientifically speaking, what is the point of sexuality? It is primarily for reproduction. Yes, other human needs are met with it, but it's primary function is reproduction. For a species, when an individual is homosexual, they do not reproduce. This lack of reproduction means that their gene's are not passed on. Individuals who's genes are not passed on are generally considered failures of the species, much the same way natural selection works. If the primary function of sexuality is reproduction and an individual is using it in a way that cannot ever meet that goal, I see that as wrong, scientifically.

As for the agenda, well trying to push homosexual content into games seems like an agenda to me. I know the original post from Eikle wasn't pushing this, but others in the thread were.

Originally posted by junzo316

As a gay man, I am not offended by the censor of such words in a forum.  For one, I don't usually go to a forum and use such words, and another, it usually leads to derogatory statements and such.  However, I am offended by some of the "generalizations" used by some posters that have no clue of what they speak of.  Neither I, nor my husband of 10 years have a lisp, are loud, or any of the stereotypical gay things brought up by some posters.  Yes, I have known a couple through my years, but just a very small fraction of all the gay people I have met.

Lets keep the generalizations out of this topic, please.

I know not all do it, I was simply using that as a point of when someone is trying to push their sexuality as an identity. I was merely pointing out that the ones that do emphasis those features and behaviors are putting on an act that isn't natural, and not generalizing that all homosexuals do that. I apologize if it came off any differently.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

Go re-read what I said again. My comment about lisps was directed at the gay folks that "magically" develop one when they come out of the closet. That is trying to push an identity of yourself. A large amount of gay people I see act in ways that aren't natural, but are simply putting on a show to push their identity further. It is painfully obvious. Speech impetements and abnormally high voices don't just happen one day, people are usually born with such conditions. "Suddenly" showing such behaviors is an act. That was the point I was making.

Unatural act, louder lower voice drinking beer and trying to show his menhood watching sports, but in his intimicy he is a person, not just a masculine cliche, same happens with homosexuals.

Sexuality is a huge part of social behavior, the heterosexual "cliche" is just maybe more normal to you.

Terrible argument. Everything you said is some NATURAL form of a human male showing itself in modern ways. Lower voices are from puberty. Watching sports is the modern display of the competative nature of humans. Drinking beer is... well, just drinking beer, pretty sure girls do that too. There is nothing normal or natural about a males voice turning high and containing a lisp practically over night because they decided they were gay. There is nothing natural or normal suddenly ACTING extremely feminine. It WOULD be normal if they acted that way from birth, showing that it was a condition they were born with and always had. When it spontaneously appears due to their sexual orientation, it's an act. Plain and simple.

I can still remember one of the two gay kids in my highschool was in my gym class, and he talked and acted extremely feminine, but in gym class when he was out of his element, you could definitely see moments where he let the act down  because he was pre-occupied with something else.

You know I am not talking about natural lower voice, you know I am not talking about people who really enjoy sports or beer, I am talking about men who act in front of other men, this is very common, I am talking about men who says all women are whores, who calls sensitive men "fags" who fake a louder and lower voice, who do "men things" to be acceptet as men, I am talking about the "male image", you and me know, a lot of people just act this way to be accepted as as a "normal" man.

We can say the same about some homosexuals, the social act.

I am talking about the masculine cliche who does not reflect a real person but a "masculine" image.

Social behavior is, in most cases, fake, this is why you will see some people acting "different" only after they reveal who they really are.

What I said is not an argument, it is the true, it is what happens.

When someone says sexuality is part of social identity (and deep identity values), it is not just an argument, this is accepted as psychological fact.

What you call normal is in most cases cultural and social.

The typical male image you see as "normal"  is a cultural pattern, not an universal human behavior.

You know I am not talking about natural lower voice, you know I am not talking about people who really enjoy sports or beer, I am talking about men who act in front of other men, this is very common, I am talking about men who says all women are whores, who calls sensitive men "fags" who fake a louder and lower voice, who do "men things" to be acceptet as men, I am talking about the "male image", you and me know, a lot of people just act this way to be accepted as as a "normal" man.

We can say the same about some homosexuals, the social act.

I am talking about the masculine cliche who does not reflect a real person but a "masculine" image.

Social behavior is, in most cases, fake, this is why you will see some people acting "different" only after they reveal who they really are.

What I said is not an argument, it is the true, it is what happens.

When someone says sexuality is part of social identity (and deep identity values), it is not just an argument, this is accepted as psychological fact.

What you call normal is in most cases cultural and social.

The typical male image you see as "normal"  is a cultural pattern, not an universal human behavior.

Again, relate it back to primitive instinct. Which males mate with females in many species? The males that present themselves as the biggest, the baddest, the toughest, and the manliest. The ones that put on the best show for the females. So in essence this can be seen as a primitive instinct re-emerging in a modern way. But what is natural about a male acting like a female to attract other males? Nothing really. The closest I can think of is the cuttlefish. Sometimes the smaller males will pretend to be females in order to avoid fighting with the bigger males, and then slip by them and mate with a real female un-noticed. But even then, the end goal is still reproduction. 

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Well scientifically speaking, what is the point of sexuality? It is primarily for reproduction. Yes, other human needs are met with it, but it's primary function is reproduction. For a species, when an individual is homosexual, they do not reproduce. This lack of reproduction means that their gene's are not passed on. Individuals who's genes are not passed on are generally considered failures of the species, much the same way natural selection works. If the primary function of sexuality is reproduction and an individual is using it in a way that cannot ever meet that goal, I see that as wrong, scientifically.

As for the agenda, well trying to push homosexual content into games seems like an agenda to me. I know the original post from Eikle wasn't pushing this, but others in the thread were.

You're aware that homosexual people CAN reproduce?  They suffer no physiological inability to reproduce.  In fact many gay people do reproduce. What about straight people who don't reproduce for some reason or another? What about straight people who are infertile? Are they also scientifically wrong in your view?

I understand what you're saying but I got to tell you, you're way off base on this.  I still think, and you're reply backs me up that your scientific reasoning is merely a thinly disguised attempt to backstop your more irrational moral objections.

This discussion has been closed.