Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will I hit a wall again or is it worth coming back?

deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

Hey Gang,

I played this game when it first came out really hard for maybe two months I put in lots of hours. I played this Harder than I have every played any other MMO. Got my Lore Master up to like 48 I was in a great guild, we where moving and shaking then Smack!!! I hit a wall like I have never hit in any other MMO. My best friend did too. I just didn’t want to play any more. I cancelled my account, many months later I logged back in almost no body from the guild was still playing, I can’t remember the day count but it hadn’t been to long after I left that they all seemed to drop as well?

So my question with the chick like story above is what would make me want to come back? I read peoples glowing reviews for the game now and all I can remember was the pain and the brick wall I hit?

Also, curious if anyone else kind of felt like that about the game? If you did what has changed for you.

Comments

• Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by deadmanbell

Hey Gang,
    I played this game when it first came out really hard for maybe two months I put in lots of hours. I played this Harder than I have every played any other MMO. Got my Lore Master up to like 48 I was in a great guild, we where moving and shaking then Smack!!! I hit a wall like I have never hit in any other MMO. My best friend did too. I just didn’t want to play any more. I cancelled my account, many months later I logged back in almost no body from the guild was still playing, I can’t remember the day count but it hadn’t been to long after I left that they all seemed to drop as well?
    So my question with the chick like story above is what would make me want to come back? I read peoples glowing reviews for the game now and all I can remember was the pain and the brick wall I hit?
    Also, curious if anyone else kind of felt like that about the game? If you did what has changed for you.

It will happen to you again.

Kain_Dale

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

48?  That's it?  You're missing out on soooo much content.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

No, pain and brick wall pretty much sums up how I feel about it.  I was dumb enough to pay for a lifetime sub when I was really enjoying it, so I sometimes force myself to play (as it's paid for). 

There are spurts where I almost enjoy myself again. But then I hit that wall you talk about, where I don't have any more quests to do and I have to grind to gain levels to find more quests I can do.

But then again, things are supposed to get better in Moria. Since you're closer, maybe you'll like it?

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• thegeezthegeez Member Posts: 28

yu have moria to enjoy which is a really great expension for the game but at 60 i think it gets old quick so i say yu might get a months play out of it =)

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Well if you were lvl 48 then you will be level 50 now since they changed the xp curve so you can start with Moria and see if you enjoy it

Usually people hit the wall at 35 or 40 (40-60 is the best leveling part IMO) so its hard to say if you will get over the "wall", around 48 there is ALOT of content so thats not an issue.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I am climbing the walls right now for an MMO I can enjoy. So much so I have even been looking at going back to DAOC or AO. Damn you Warhammer!!! And of course Damn you forever SOE for SWG.

Sigh… please help the needle marks are starting to itch. Need my MMO fix soon.

Deadmanbell MMO Junkie

Life is tough its tougher when your stupid

• clamdipclamdip Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

No, pain and brick wall pretty much sums up how I feel about it.  I was dumb enough to pay for a lifetime sub when I was really enjoying it, so I sometimes force myself to play (as it's paid for). 
    There are spurts where I almost enjoy myself again. But then I hit that wall you talk about, where I don't have any more quests to do and I have to grind to gain levels to find more quests I can do.

But then again, things are supposed to get better in Moria. Since you're closer, maybe you'll like it?

You reached lvl 43 and hit a wall? :D I'd say you're a quitter but that's just me.

• Jester47Jester47 Member Posts: 90

Don't waste your time. I recently started playing myself and I think your problem was likely because this game has ridiculously boring quests. It doesn't help that this game doesn't feel like LOTR  at all. You're basically playing another generic fantasy MMO. I can't believe I bought into the hype expecting some amazing story telling. I don't know if this was a problem for you, but there's basically no one to be  found for group quests from 20-59. You'll be waiting days to find a group and half of your quest log will end up being group quests that you have to skip. I also had a problem with server stability, issues with Vista 32 that Turbine never bothered to correct and problems with Turbine customer service.

The other problem you'll run into is that Moria is the worst content I have ever leveled through in over 10 years of playing MMOs. They made no improvements on the quests with adding variety. Every quest that isn't an epic quest is basically the exact same thing you've read before for another quest in another zone. (Not the games fault, it's due to the setting being entirely in one place and mostly being made up of one enemy while the quests are given by the same group of people) The level design is the most horrific to navigate through or even look upon. There's two types of environments. You either go into large caverns that are blue/orange, or you're in dwarf crafted hallways that look about the same for the entire expansion. (I'll concede that the first zone you quest in and The Waterworks are amazing, though) Due to the verticality with different levels of the zones and large amounts of hallways with intersections, it is a real pain to navigate. Add to that there's a mob every 5 feet for you to fight and you'll be lucky to fight less than two enemies at a time. You can't really run through them either as the developers wasted no time filling this place to its maximum capacity with mobs.

Right now I'm 5 bars of rested XP from 60 and I have zero interest in actually logging back in even with my guild begging me because they need a captain. Words can not describe how much I hated this expansion. I  was enjoying the game before I stepped into Moria even though the story wasn't as good as it was hyped up to be. I  thought this was going to be a game I could stick with for a long time. Moria completely killed it for me. Even if I play, I'll never level another character again because of Moria and leveling alts is a major factor for me in an MMO. I also did the turtle raid and found it to be far too boring for an end game raid.

Edit:  Sorry for venting my frustrations in a long post, but if any LOTRO  players can convince me to stay by telling me what the 60 content is like, then I'm all ears.

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429

Have you considered the possibility that the same thing might happen in any game if you play as "hard" as you claim to.  Too much of just about anything is a bad thing. 

Try changing things up a bit - limiting your play time and trying to do other things that bring some balance into the equation.  Then, you may be able to evaluate the game a bit more objectively.  It may or may not be your cup of tea, but you don't want to overdose on it regardless.

Is this a solid game?  Yes.  Are there bugs?  Yes.  Will you hit a wall?  That's a very personal question that no one here can answer with any amount of credibility.  You really need to do some self analysis and figure out why you hit the wall.  You need to understand whether it was something inherent in the game or whether it was something in your behavior and how you approached the game. 

Also, remember to take any comments here with a grain of salt. You'll see people blaming Turbine for problems with Vista, which seems more than disingenuous, and people complaining about the storytelling saying the game doesn't seem like LoTR, but who really know very little about the story aside from what they've seen in the movies.

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I am climbing the walls right now for an MMO I can enjoy. So much so I have even been looking at going back to DAOC or AO. Damn you Warhammer!!! And of course Damn you forever SOE for SWG.
    Sigh… please help the needle marks are starting to itch. Need my MMO fix soon.
    Deadmanbell MMO Junkie
    Life is tough its tougher when your stupid

Eq2 there is sooooooooooo much to do.

• Jester47Jester47 Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by bmdevine

Also, remember to take any comments here with a grain of salt. You'll see people blaming Turbine for problems with Vista, which seems more than disingenuous, and people complaining about the storytelling saying the game doesn't seem like LoTR, but who really know very little about the story aside from what they've seen in the movies.

Blaming Turbine for problems with Vista?  No. Blaming them for never addressing them as other developers do?  Yes. Reading really does help. The most recent game that I can recall to be released with Vista 32 issues was Dawn of War 2 and they put all bug fixes on hold just to get issues with Vista 32 resolved in the first patch.

My complaint about storytelling was unrelated to my comment about the game not feeling like LOTR. Is reading that difficult? I've also read every LOTR  novel, so your  laughable attempt to have the OP ignore complaints in order to get him to see your game from a better perspective seems to have no backing.

Remember to take many comments on this board with a grain of salt as many of those emotionally involved with the game they spend so much time in amongst a highly competitive genre will be as slanted as possible in swaying you. (I  can do it too!)

• rafaelrehnrafaelrehn Member Posts: 235

Hey Gang,

Lol i never seen no wall you mebbe sitting too close to one

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

If you indeed hit the wall...try the open doorway...much better for moving forward and less painfull to boot.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• sarahstewartsarahstewart Member Posts: 68

you may hit a wall again or you might not.

a fair amount of stuff is different now

you wont know untill you try.

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Originally posted by sarahstewart

Sarah....with an h is my favorite womans name...not stalking you...just saying...I love that name.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

Originally posted by lttexxan

Sarah....with an h is my favorite womans name...not stalking you...just saying...I love that name.

Hehe well thank you very much :P

• rafaelrehnrafaelrehn Member Posts: 235

Originally posted by lttexxan

Hehe well thank you very much :P

I used to have a brother called Sarah

you must have cruel parents then.

• deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

Lol, I went back to DAOC.... and I am having a blast. I played this so long ago they didn't have half the stuff or have now, the classes. They didn't even have a map. I often forget that playing MMO's is about having fun. After LOTR, I was hoping that War would have the fun factor.. But the ugly wall showed up agian.

Play hard, have fun, when you hit the wall run again.... in the opposite direction

• cougardavecougardave Member Posts: 52

They just offered free game time again for their anniversary, definitely give it a shot, I am.

Will I stick with LOTRO, probably not.  I moved from WoW to EQ2 and haven't looked back.  I love EQ2, visually it's nearly as nice as LOTRO, better in many ways (spell effects, races, crafting, classes... etc)

What I'm finding with LOTRO is exactly what I found before - brick walls.  I didn't make it as high as you did (even though I was a beta tester AND subbed at launch, canceled once, then resubbed, then canceled again), but the walls are painful in lotro.

I was kinda hoping it would be better.. 

The biggest issue for me is travel.  Prior to having a mount, it's just miles of bad animation of running/gliding across empty terrain.  When I play I just don't have time to spend 30 minutes getting TO an area.

I'll most likely keep going with the re-free trial, but I'm certainly not being grabbed and made to want to play again.

I guess lotro isnt for everyone :(

• Originally posted by trancejeremy

if you dont like the game then leave it, i see you posting negatively about LotRO all the time, just drop the game and quit dettering people from  the game just because you dont like it. Sheeesh!

To OP: It depends on what may have caused you to hit that brick wall.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by cougardave  
     brick walls. 

Please define this. Also be aware they completely revamped the travel routs, this includes adding, and re-araging routes.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• GaryMGaryM Member Posts: 244

I guess lotro isnt for everyone :(

Who'da thunk that? It's like we all have different taste and stuff...

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by cougardave  
     brick walls. 

Please define this. Also be aware they completely revamped the travel routs, this includes adding, and re-araging routes.

Definition: Generic jadedness caused by playing western style MMO's for X amount of time, catalyzed (in this instance) by LOTRO

:-D

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.