Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Lord of the Rings Onlin: Mines of Moria for only 9.99

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

With out sounding like I am a SALES rep for Turbine I could not belive what I am seeing. First I never PLAYED LotrO basicly because I got involved with WoW OK I wont even go there because I know that is anouther TOPIC on a diffrent thread. So ANYWAYS the reason I am posting is because I wanted to know if LotrO is worth MY time. Yes I know if I buy the game I get SHADOWS. Yes I know I also GET 30 days free of play well I figure THAT right there is a good enough reason. AND the fact alone to MY knowlage I could be WRONG with this and someone correct me if I am wrong. To my knowlage it is the number TWO MMO right now and that is a VERY convinsing argument to give this GAME a chance. Anywho Im just looking for HONEST opionion for this game.

Comments

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

My honest opinion is: Download the trial, if you like it then buy a subscription.

There are pros and cons of LotrO just like other games. The basics of WoW and LotrO are simillar so you will have an easy time getting into the game. What I like about LotrO is that its more mature and relaxed than WoW and doesnt feel as competetive and grindy. Good community and more focus on story/lore is what really sets them apart.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

If it's only 9.99 for 30 days, what do you really have to lose? Also, they lowered the price probably due to getting the game out to more people for when the next expansion comes out at the end of this year.

Seriously though, 9.99 for 30 days? Go to a two hour movie 10 bucks, tickets to a sports event 50 bucks not to mention food and parking, what you are getting for 9.99 is really worth it even if you don't stick with the game after the 30 days.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

For $9.99 you can't beat that for getting a box key and 30 days of playtime.   The $9.99 a month price is the multi-month subscription discount I believe so you will have to sign up for 3 month blocks at a time to keep that active.

I Think its a great deal so I would say yeah, get the game and play the 30 days and decide if you want to subscribe.

The one nice thing is once you get to level 60 there will be another xpac coming out with all new content to play through so this game should keep you busy for a quite a while.

• ZenrenZenren Member UncommonPosts: 68

A few disclaimers should be made about their $9.99 deal. First if you check it out, it's only $9.99 if you pay for 3 months in advance. Also you can purchace an account through the online store for $9.99 and get "Mines of Moria" plus 30 days free, which is a good deal, but if you upgrade through the account page you only get the expansion. I called customer support and was told that the digital purchase is final and that they will not credit your account for 30 days either. The person I spoke to in their customer care department, sucked. I mentioned that this seemed like a scam and I was wondering if anyone had spoken to the attorney general's office and he said, "since you threatened me with legal action, I have to disconnect this call..." and hung up.

With this said, I was going to turn on the game again because I am getting bored with WoW, but I'm not willing to spend $24.99 to do it and I'm not going to spend that kind of money for a game that lets it's employees treat customers like crap either. I would recommend sticking with WoW or Warhammer Online. To be honest those games have great customer service and don't try to trick you into purchasing their products. NCSoft also has great customer care too. From my experience if a company lets it's employees treat the customers like crap and they have set in stone policies that prevent their representatives from being able to make informed decisions, then it's best to shy away from their service.

If you're reading this, you probably need to get some sun.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Thanks for the advise. I went ahead and bought the game.

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

The box is only $6.99 on Newegg

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Brif

The box is only $6.99 on Newegg

thats just SoA w/o the Moria expansion. Amazon has Moria for 20 bucks shipped though if one wanted the box copy

www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001FS7FE0/ref=dp_olp_new

I miss DAoC

• tfox2k1tfox2k1 Member Posts: 215
    Originally posted by Zenren

A few disclaimers should be made about their $9.99 deal. First if you check it out, it's only $9.99 if you pay for 3 months in advance. Also you can purchace an account through the online store for $9.99 and get "Mines of Moria" plus 30 days free, which is a good deal, but if you upgrade through the account page you only get the expansion. I called customer support and was told that the digital purchase is final and that they will not credit your account for 30 days either. The person I spoke to in their customer care department, sucked. I mentioned that this seemed like a scam and I was wondering if anyone had spoken to the attorney general's office and he said, "since you threatened me with legal action, I have to disconnect this call..." and hung up.
    With this said, I was going to turn on the game again because I am getting bored with WoW, but I'm not willing to spend $24.99 to do it and I'm not going to spend that kind of money for a game that lets it's employees treat customers like crap either. I would recommend sticking with WoW or Warhammer Online. To be honest those games have great customer service and don't try to trick you into purchasing their products. NCSoft also has great customer care too. From my experience if a company lets it's employees treat the customers like crap and they have set in stone policies that prevent their representatives from being able to make informed decisions, then it's best to shy away from their service.

Zenren, you and people like you are the reason game companies so frequently treat their customers with disdain.   Let me state the obvious.   You're threatening Turbine for your own stupidity.   Yes the screwed up US legal system frequently rewards stupidity, but if you expect an employee to quietly take your abuse and threats, you're wrong.

Zenren, you were unable to even correctly purchase an item on sale.   Why did you "upgrade" the trial instead of buying a new account?    You didn't want to lose your level 10 Hunter?         Why would Turbine give you another 30 days free if you already have an account and likely had 30 days free?    If $10 or $25 is so much to you, spend less time sitting on your behind farming rep in WoW/War and go get a job, better job.

To sum it up, your complaint and attitude hurts all gamers in an MMO.    Turbine is a company who is trying to survive and make a bit of profit.   In my years of experience with MMO's and various gaming companies, Turbine is the best.

Remember the customer is NOT always right.    Frequently they are morons and MMO customers tend to attract more morons than other industries.   Next time RTFM.

First I dont work for any MMO or customer service industry.   I simply find his attitude offensive, since its so frequent in this genre.     Someone needs to stand up to the morons, before they take over even more so.

• joekakjoekak Member Posts: 17

I was about to do the digital download for $9.99 but my room mate works at Gamestop, so I just traded my old CoD4 for PS3 that I havent touched in months and it was an even trade, didn't pay a cent XD

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

So let me make sure i understand you correctly. You purchased an xpac for a game you did not own and somehow that is the game companies fault? You recomend WOW so if one wants to play WOW all they have to buy is WOTLK?  Please, keep playing WOW, you woldnt like LOTRO>

• clamdipclamdip Member Posts: 58

"With this said, I was going to turn on the game again because I am getting bored with WoW, but I'm not willing to spend $24.99 to do it and I'm not going to spend that kind of money for a game that lets it's employees treat customers like crap either."

If mommy won't give you your allowance I can understand why you want to stick with WoW.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Mines of Moria comes with the original game, and at 9$, they technicaly paid you 5$ to play their games (30 days free = 15).

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• xSagemanxxSagemanx Member Posts: 9

""Zenren, you and people like you are the reason game companies so frequently treat their customers with disdain. Let me state the obvious. You're threatening Turbine for your own stupidity. Yes the screwed up US legal system frequently rewards stupidity, but if you expect an employee to quietly take your abuse and threats, you're wrong.

Zenren, you were unable to even correctly purchase an item on sale. Why did you "upgrade" the trial instead of buying a new account? You didn't want to lose your level 10 Hunter? Why would Turbine give you another 30 days free if you already have an account and likely had 30 days free? If $10 or $25 is so much to you, spend less time sitting on your behind farming rep in WoW/War and go get a job, better job.

To sum it up, your complaint and attitude hurts all gamers in an MMO. Turbine is a company who is trying to survive and make a bit of profit. In my years of experience with MMO's and various gaming companies, Turbine is the best.

Remember the customer is NOT always right. Frequently they are morons and MMO customers tend to attract more morons than other industries. Next time RTFM.

First I dont work for any MMO or customer service industry. I simply find his attitude offensive, since its so frequent in this genre. Someone needs to stand up to the morons, before they take over even more so.""

I too got duped like this and the customer service while not rude were terse and unhelpful. I felt like I was getting hosed because to be honest they dont tell you that you're not getting 30 free days when you do the account upgrade, in fact every advertisement on the page says otherwise. As for the guy who said you were stupid he has no clue what he's talking about because I have a masters degree and I fell for this ploy too. Yes I think it was a ploy on the part of Turbine to get just another $14.99 from their subscribers. As for me I did not pay the additional fee to activate the account because in my experience if you let someone hose you once, they will most likely do it again if given the chance. Its sad too because I liked where the game was headed and how it had evolved I just dont like poor business practices. For now I'll go back to World of Warcraft untill I find another game.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by xSagemanx

""Zenren, you and people like you are the reason game companies so frequently treat their customers with disdain. Let me state the obvious. You're threatening Turbine for your own stupidity. Yes the screwed up US legal system frequently rewards stupidity, but if you expect an employee to quietly take your abuse and threats, you're wrong.

Zenren, you were unable to even correctly purchase an item on sale. Why did you "upgrade" the trial instead of buying a new account? You didn't want to lose your level 10 Hunter? Why would Turbine give you another 30 days free if you already have an account and likely had 30 days free? If $10 or $25 is so much to you, spend less time sitting on your behind farming rep in WoW/War and go get a job, better job.

To sum it up, your complaint and attitude hurts all gamers in an MMO. Turbine is a company who is trying to survive and make a bit of profit. In my years of experience with MMO's and various gaming companies, Turbine is the best.

Remember the customer is NOT always right. Frequently they are morons and MMO customers tend to attract more morons than other industries. Next time RTFM.

First I dont work for any MMO or customer service industry. I simply find his attitude offensive, since its so frequent in this genre. Someone needs to stand up to the morons, before they take over even more so.""

I too got duped like this and the customer service while not rude were terse and unhelpful. I felt like I was getting hosed because to be honest they dont tell you that you're not getting 30 free days when you do the account upgrade, in fact every advertisement on the page says otherwise. As for the guy who said you were stupid he has no clue what he's talking about because I have a masters degree and I fell for this ploy too. Yes I think it was a ploy on the part of Turbine to get just another $14.99 from their subscribers. As for me I did not pay the additional fee to activate the account because in my experience if you let someone hose you once, they will most likely do it again if given the chance. Its sad too because I liked where the game was headed and how it had evolved I just dont like poor business practices. For now I'll go back to World of Warcraft untill I find another game.

A degree doesn't mean a thing other than you can regurgetate information put before you. I have one and working toward a second one, lol. That and there are tons of gamers who have no degree and they get it, hehe.

My question is if LOTRO is the first MMO you guys have ever played? There isn't a company, of the large kind, making MMOs that I know of that offers 30 free days to existing account holders (or account holders who quit and then come back using the same account) . You've been gieven your 30 free days for that account. It's used, gone, kaput. The whole 30 free days is an initial account purchase gimmick. Get with the program, lol. You want 30 more free days, buy a new box with the new account activation for which the 30 free days gimmick was created. Sheesh!

Having been on that customer service phone agent side, I completely agree with their actions listed in this thread. You want to try to be big billy badass and threaten legal action? Cool. My work guidelines stipulate I terminate this call (afterall, I'm not a lawyer) and you can now contact your attorney and get the ball rolling. Your one attorney against our fleet of 50. Have fun! Seriously, it's not the phone agent's job to read print and interpret concepts for you. You're supposed to be a literate adult.

I dunno, man. I'm laughing as I'm writing this, and not at you. Just at the whole concept of this conversation. If there were seriously other major games out there that allowed people to buy their game, get 30 days free, cancel the account, re-open the account, get 30 days free...over and over...then, I could see possible confusion. At best you have examples like SWG where there is the potential to build up veteran player game time that they throw at you begging you to come back. I had around 20-30 days worth but that was from cancelling my sub in November 2005 and then going back (to confirm my previous exodus was the correct thing to do) in late 2008.

I know the global economy is bad, but, c'mon people, lol!

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• xSagemanxxSagemanx Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

A degree doesn't mean a thing other than you can regurgetate information put before you. I have one and working toward a second one, lol. That and there are tons of gamers who have no degree and they get it, hehe.

My question is if LOTRO is the first MMO you guys have ever played? There isn't a company, of the large kind, making MMOs that I know of that offers 30 free days to existing account holders (or account holders who quit and then come back using the same account) . You've been gieven your 30 free days for that account. It's used, gone, kaput. The whole 30 free days is an initial account purchase gimmick. Get with the program, lol. You want 30 more free days, buy a new box with the new account activation for which the 30 free days gimmick was created. Sheesh!

Having been on that customer service phone agent side, I completely agree with their actions listed in this thread. You want to try to be big billy badass and threaten legal action? Cool. My work guidelines stipulate I terminate this call (afterall, I'm not a lawyer) and you can now contact your attorney and get the ball rolling. Your one attorney against our fleet of 50. Have fun! Seriously, it's not the phone agent's job to read print and interpret concepts for you. You're supposed to be a literate adult.

I dunno, man. I'm laughing as I'm writing this, and not at you. Just at the whole concept of this conversation. If there were seriously other major games out there that allowed people to buy their game, get 30 days free, cancel the account, re-open the account, get 30 days free...over and over...then, I could see possible confusion. At best you have examples like SWG where there is the potential to build up veteran player game time that they throw at you begging you to come back. I had around 20-30 days worth but that was from cancelling my sub in November 2005 and then going back (to confirm my previous exodus was the correct thing to do) in late 2008.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Actually Horray for Turbine these guys are awesome. I called them to follow up and they agreed since their ad takes you to your account page to "upgrade" your account that they would give me the free 30 days and apologized for the inconvienience. 

As for you, you seem to be trolling more than making an argument. If I am found right by the CS reps at Turbine and insulted by you then  I have to say you might need a bit more time in college. As for college degree meaning anything other than being able to regurgitate information, I would say you should go to a good school where you have to learn to think on your own using the information you've been taught. 

As for the "30 free days with $9.99 upgrade" that was stated on their ad. When you clicked on the add it asked you to log in and then it asked you to upgrade your account. How I could misinterpret this is beyond me. As stated and most importantly, kudos to Turbine for owning up and giving me what was implied in their ad. 

The most important thing to add is that if you haven't tried the game since release it's much more polished and enjoyable than it was at that time. I am having a blast and so far I havent been bored once while playing. I actually spend more time using the trade craft and just exploring than worrying about leveling. The Deeds aspect of the game, (I.E.  the concept WoW stole for their Achievments) is the best thing to hit MMORPG's in a long time and I can't believe more people haven't mentioned this. I thourghly enjoy earning each deed and find that this alone will keep my interest both now and at end game.

• ZenrenZenren Member UncommonPosts: 68

Since my post got a few less than polite responses, I felt I'd follow up on what's happened. I was finally able to talk to a manager who agreed with me that I should be able to have the 30 days since I was spending the same amount for the same product, and as stated by another poster, it was easy to be misled. So I do have my free 30 days. He also apologized for any previous misunderstandings or poor customer service.

To the person that insinuated that I was stupid, I'm not going to debate my intelligence with you, rather I would say that if you cannot understand my point, then perhaps you need to go have your own IQ tested. Also I work in the customer service/collections field and I have an absolute understanding of what is good and bad customer service. The problem is that their are always a few wrotten eggs in a batch. I happened to be unfortunate enough to run into a person more interested in keeping his call time down, than helping me with my problem, in my own opinion. (This may or may not be true, but that's the feeling I got from him.) The rest of my interactions with the customer service department were good. I don't think the company allows its employees to treat their customers in a rude manner, but unfortunately it does happen.

As far as the person stating that you don't have to be smart to have a degree, that's true of associates degrees, but I rarely find anyone that has a Masters Degree that doesn't have at least a modicum of intelligence. I also feel that it's perfectly alright to complain when one feels they are mistreated, if we continue to become a world that disdains complaints, we'll end up living in an Orwellian society in no time. The only way we can understand what's wrong is by pointing it out and debating it.

Now just to clarify, I did receive good customer service eventually and other than those first few interactions, everyone else was very helpful. I do feel that they could be a little more polite and that Turbine needs to have its employees work on their tone and demeanor, but the game is an awesome game and deserves your attention. If a lesson is learned today, it's read the small print and stick to your guns if you believe you're right. If I had listened to the naysayers of this post, I would've given up and gone and played something else, rather than being able to experience everything Lord of the Rings Online has to offer.

Zenren

If you're reading this, you probably need to get some sun.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

You were trying to get help, and you opened up with:

"I mentioned that this seemed like a scam and I was wondering if anyone had spoken to the attorney general's office ............"

I bet your tone was snotty too.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Actually Horray for Turbine these guys are awesome. I called them to follow up and they agreed since their ad takes you to your account page to "upgrade" your account that they would give me the free 30 days and apologized for the inconvienience. 

As for you, you seem to be trolling more than making an argument. If I am found right by the CS reps at Turbine and insulted by you then  I have to say you might need a bit more time in college. As for college degree meaning anything other than being able to regurgitate information, I would say you should go to a good school where you have to learn to think on your own using the information you've been taught. 

As for the "30 free days with $9.99 upgrade" that was stated on their ad. When you clicked on the add it asked you to log in and then it asked you to upgrade your account. How I could misinterpret this is beyond me. As stated and most importantly, kudos to Turbine for owning up and giving me what was implied in their ad. 

The most important thing to add is that if you haven't tried the game since release it's much more polished and enjoyable than it was at that time. I am having a blast and so far I havent been bored once while playing. I actually spend more time using the trade craft and just exploring than worrying about leveling. The Deeds aspect of the game, (I.E.  the concept WoW stole for their Achievments) is the best thing to hit MMORPG's in a long time and I can't believe more people haven't mentioned this. I thourghly enjoy earning each deed and find that this alone will keep my interest both now and at end game.

Good for you. Call them back and whine some more and get what you want. That's the way these days. And if you took my words as an insult, well, that's between you and your therapist. It was my opinion to your situation YOU posted in a public forum. You don't want people posting their thoughts to your situation and disagreeing with you, then don't post them. My opinion was as much of a troll on you as your post was against Turbine. As for the education thing, meh, whatever. Interesting that you found a school that doesn't use standardized testing to see if you pass/fail and uses instead an arbitrary judgment of your extrapolations on various subjects to hand you your degree. Anyway, a debate about the educational system isn't what they provided these forums for.

As for the game, I'm sure it's pretty much still ride the rail for the Book quests from location to location. I could play for free but not real interested. Glad it's changed in other aspects to be what you want. Game on.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez