Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be an owner of MMO game?

XruxXrux Member UncommonPosts: 134

Hi fellow brave heroes of the MMO fields of battle and glory. Here a veteran gamer that slowly worked towards his own studio that is going to create a nice (low budget) MMO. We are in the stage of financing the 6 MMO projects we like to make the next decade. But first game first. The response is well and the first investor and bank loans are signed.

This thread is more or less to investigate if there is enough base to try and let you players join in and be part owner of the game we like to make/release first. Investment should be small, open for a lot or high for the little few ? WHat would you like to see, besides a spot in open beta and royalties? All ideas and suggestions are welcome. What would be a good price for such a participation? And what information would you like to see?

I was thinking of 2 to max  10 packages of 25 000 euro each filled with Gamers that like to participate. 10 euro per participation would be a nice price or .? Return on investment in 36-48 months with xx% per year possible

Hope you can give us some input and good discussions. Head question being would it be something for the community? (it will cost us time, money and a lot of administration, but we are serious)

greets,

Xru

Have no fear, Xru is here.

Comments

• beeker255beeker255 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Gaute?

J/k I wish you the best with your upcoming project. What is 10 euro to the american dollar now so I can gauge what your asking.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Originally posted by Xrux

Hi fellow brave heroes of the MMO fields of battle and glory. Here a veteran gamer that slowly worked towards his own studio that is going to create a nice (low budget) MMO. We are in the stage of financing the 6 MMO projects we like to make the next decade. But first game first. The response is well and the first investor and bank loans are signed.
    This thread is more or less to investigate if there is enough base to try and let you players join in and be part owner of the game we like to make/release first. Investment should be small, open for a lot or high for the little few ? WHat would you like to see, besides a spot in open beta and royalties? All ideas and suggestions are welcome. What would be a good price for such a participation? And what information would you like to see?
    I was thinking of 2 to max  10 packages of 25 000 euro each filled with Gamers that like to participate. 10 euro per participation would be a nice price or .? Return on investment in 36-48 months with xx% per year possible
    Hope you can give us some input and good discussions. Head question being would it be something for the community? (it will cost us time, money and a lot of administration, but we are serious)
    greets,
    Xru

What you should do is to create professional investor packages for people who are serious in participating. All information about the company, whatever you can say about the product, what they are responsible for, what their liabilities might be, etc.

Just like any company that is looking for investors. This might help.

Before writing a business plan, put yourself in the investor's place and consider what he or she might be looking for when reviewing your document. Obviously, investors expect to see the details of the business, such as the type of business, location, business structure, and markets addressed.

Ads by Google

Beyond the basics, however, there are key areas on which investors focus. While the particulars may differ depending on the type of investor, the amount of the funding required, and the nature of the business, there are five main things investors look for.

1. Investors want to see your background in the industry and business experience as well as that of your management team. Many small businesses fail because of weaknesses in the management team. See Presenting the Management and ownership Section of a Business Plan for more information.

2. Not only do you need to show how your product or service is unique, you need to prove that there is a demonstrated need for your offernings and a substantial market potential to make the investment worthwhile. Investors don't want to invest in "little" ideas — you must show them the potential to be a big success.

3. No matter how unique your product or service may be, you must show that you know your demographics and can reach your target market in a continual manner. Your pricing and sales strategy must be clearly defined and in line with industry norms.

4. Investors want to know that you have acknowledged and researched your competition thoroughly. In addition, they want to see your stategy to contend with your competitors and distinguish yourself. What gives you the competitive edge? See Creating the Competitive Analysis Section of a Business Plan for more information.

5. Investors expect to see a return on their investment. Therefore, they want to see realistic financial projections that show how long it will take for the business to show a profit and for them to recoup their funding dollars. They also want to see a clear exit strategy: a way to make a profit and move on to the next deal.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Originally posted by beeker255

Gaute?

J/k I wish you the best with your upcoming project. What is 10 euro to the american dollar now so I can gauge what your asking.

10 Euros is about 13 U.S. dollars.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

It comes out to around $13  US dollars. It sounds interesting though.

• hausthaust Member Posts: 26

I don't think many people would hop on board unless you give them reason to believe you a) aren't a scam b) won't flop. I think the majority of people would need more information before putting down 10 bucks on an idea for a market that is notorious for flops. If you have a website, ideas in the process, a forum, then perhaps you'll be in more of a position to ask for player investment. If you're trying to develop an idea around an intial player base then you still need to develop the community more so. I think it'd work best if you describe what the game is, what you're planning to do, what it's all about etc. etc.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

If you could post the studio name and where you are registered, that would help.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by cukimunga

It comes out to around $13  US dollars. It sounds interesting though.

hmmm helter skelter...

sorry what where we talking about?

I personally wouldn't invest in a game, no idea how good it will be. I mean I try not to even invest any hype simply to avoid disapointment, how dispointed would you be if you lost even more money than the box pricetag.

<------------------------> this disapointed according to science.

If I where you I'd reasearch mount and blades development, they had a pretty cool scheme that got investors, but not many games could pull that off.

My blog: image

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

If you think it is hard to appease the community when they are players, just imagine how hard it will be when they are owners.

Personally (insert soap box here), I think MMOs are the worst possible investment to make today. The market is saturated, the playerbase is jaded, and the lion's share of the market is still held by one game. I don't think anyone will top WoW until they do everything WoW does, and then MORE (and better, while they are at it). MMOs don't have to realize WoW's success to be a good return on investment, but the long-term payout if harder than ever to predict -- players leave WoW, try game X, and then go back to WoW 1-2 months later.

A good investment these days is mobile MMORPGs. Look at some of the new apps on the IPhone (soon to be better supported in OS 3.0) with microtransactions. With minimal recurring costs, you have a system of generating revenue over time.

Web-based RPGs are still on the increase; why work when you can plan an RPG at your desk, right? Finding an exciting system on an accessible platform (look at AQ Worlds at www.aq.com as an example) makes all the difference.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor, but I would question any new MMO company to ask themselves one real question - why do I want to make a MMO?

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

I wish you luck. I personally developed a game system for MMO use that mixes a skill based system between EVE and Darkfall without the same potential for bot issues that Darkfall has faced. I have tried a few times to sell it officially to game developers but they have all told me that they feel there is no demand for such a system. I think looking at the critical aclaim Darkfall got for concept along with the success of EVE, they are wrong.

• XruxXrux Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Xrux

greets,
    Xru

What you should do is to create professional investor packages for people who are serious in participating. All information about the company, whatever you can say about the product, what they are responsible for, what their liabilities might be, etc.

Just like any company that is looking for investors. This might help.

Before writing a business plan, put yourself in the investor's place and consider what he or she might be looking for when reviewing your document. Obviously, investors expect to see the details of the business, such as the type of business, location, business structure, and markets addressed.

Ads by Google

Beyond the basics, however, there are key areas on which investors focus. While the particulars may differ depending on the type of investor, the amount of the funding required, and the nature of the business, there are five main things investors look for.

1. Investors want to see your background in the industry and business experience as well as that of your management team. Many small businesses fail because of weaknesses in the management team. See Presenting the Management and ownership Section of a Business Plan for more information.

2. Not only do you need to show how your product or service is unique, you need to prove that there is a demonstrated need for your offernings and a substantial market potential to make the investment worthwhile. Investors don't want to invest in "little" ideas — you must show them the potential to be a big success.

3. No matter how unique your product or service may be, you must show that you know your demographics and can reach your target market in a continual manner. Your pricing and sales strategy must be clearly defined and in line with industry norms.

4. Investors want to know that you have acknowledged and researched your competition thoroughly. In addition, they want to see your stategy to contend with your competitors and distinguish yourself. What gives you the competitive edge? See Creating the Competitive Analysis Section of a Business Plan for more information.

5. Investors expect to see a return on their investment. Therefore, they want to see realistic financial projections that show how long it will take for the business to show a profit and for them to recoup their funding dollars. They also want to see a clear exit strategy: a way to make a profit and move on to the next deal.

Nice interesting post. This is all in place and is part of our proces towards business angels and incubators. A third party is doing those negotians with investors. Its not all information i would share towards a big public ... competition wise... a this stage.

Originally posted by haust

I don't think many people would hop on board unless you give them reason to believe you a) aren't a scam b) won't flop. I think the majority of people would need more information before putting down 10 bucks on an idea for a market that is notorious for flops. If you have a website, ideas in the process, a forum, then perhaps you'll be in more of a position to ask for player investment. If you're trying to develop an idea around an intial player base then you still need to develop the community more so. I think it'd work best if you describe what the game is, what you're planning to do, what it's all about etc. etc.

yes. Hope this thread leads towards more on the subject what it all is you need to know. And we still working on all fronts. Its not that this first game is ready for release either. It will take still about 24 months at least.

Originally posted by LynxJSA

If you could post the studio name and where you are registered, that would help.

The Netherlands Europe

I cannot disclose more at this stage, but IF we decide to let community in on investments or something like that, there will be good information which can be verified also.

Originally posted by Talin

If you think it is hard to appease the community when they are players, just imagine how hard it will be when they are owners.

Personally (insert soap box here), I think MMOs are the worst possible investment to make today. The market is saturated, the playerbase is jaded, and the lion's share of the market is still held by one game. I don't think anyone will top WoW until they do everything WoW does, and then MORE (and better, while they are at it). MMOs don't have to realize WoW's success to be a good return on investment, but the long-term payout if harder than ever to predict -- players leave WoW, try game X, and then go back to WoW 1-2 months later.

A good investment these days is mobile MMORPGs. Look at some of the new apps on the IPhone (soon to be better supported in OS 3.0) with microtransactions. With minimal recurring costs, you have a system of generating revenue over time.
    Web-based RPGs are still on the increase; why work when you can plan an RPG at your desk, right? Finding an exciting system on an accessible platform (look at AQ Worlds at www.aq.com as an example) makes all the difference.
    I wish you all the best in your endeavor, but I would question any new MMO company to ask themselves one real question - why do I want to make a MMO?

Good one this last question. My drive is to get a game that gamers like. I have been around since Ultima Online and seen to many good efforts lead to not so playeble games with bugs with compromises to appeal to braod public and or deadlines commercial wise. We dont have these pressures on our backs as all deals are setup to prevent this. We also donot like to fall in a timetrap like Darfall did. Good game but out of date graphic appeal and such.  So we dont focus to put everything in a game to get as much peeps interested. We making games that is fun and playeble for those interested in that kind of playstyle. You could read carebear game or pure PvP game without PvE...

One of the next games for example is planned to be launched on different platforms like mobile, pc and game consoles together. Many laughed at me when i suggested it in 2002 , now they see ...become enlightned lol

Originally posted by Mopar63

I wish you luck. I personally developed a game system for MMO use that mixes a skill based system between EVE and Darkfall without the same potential for bot issues that Darkfall has faced. I have tried a few times to sell it officially to game developers but they have all told me that they feel there is no demand for such a system. I think looking at the critical aclaim Darkfall got for concept along with the success of EVE, they are wrong.

Well still basic marketing principles apply towards every businessplan. In my endouvers, paths i walked since 1999 to get gaming as business going, the biggest hurdle to take is that they just dont know ... there is no authority that can give nice reports on business form last 30 years and apply towards future etc.. Big Hausse in inetrnet investmenst are also over since around 2000-2002. Its now more like who dares...but convincing them with general marketing facts and figures isnot enough. I am taking the roads of  Art and Movies and bend them a bit so Game Design fits in. Its more understanding towards those who hold money. Often its their kids that are decive factor to talk to us and see our palns, hehe

Maybe owning is not the right way. As for now there wont be much information on the game or launch of a website. I have decided to go public around closed beta phases and then build on information. Too many times i have seen such nice websites, such nice plans, so many promises that its all negative marketing or at least loose a lot of interested peeps on the way. So only when we have things to say and can give relevent new information every two weeks we launche our website.

Instead of royalty we could also give a lifetime free subscrition for 100 euro

or unique mount, weapon, item specialy designed for...

but then it sounds more like marketing.

Just keep discussing or launch ideas thanks

• kyjorkyjor Member Posts: 2

That sounds cool. Do you accept american money?

Originally posted by kyjor

That sounds cool. Do you accept american money?

Basicly if we go trough with it, there will be a a website and secure payment modules running. There also will be guarantees form Bank and Accountant up, so you can see its not a hoax or something. Price will be in Euro and payments in other currencies will go trough module and exchange course of that day. For now we just like ro see responses and discussion to the proposel. Its not necessary for the funding of the studio and making the first game. Just my idea of giving the community instead of only asking to pay to pay to pay.