Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games where you play as a "beast" (Minotaur, Orc etc...)

Dark_SkuraiDark_Skurai Member Posts: 106

What are some good MMO games where you can play as a more monsterish race? Like minotaur or an orc.

EDIT: Lizard type races work as well.

Comments

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

Too bad Shadowbane's no more, there was a good beast game.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to get out of being a beast.  If green skin is your only criteria, it's not too hard to find a game that lets you play an orc or lizard man these days.  World of Warcraft, EverQuest 2, ect - it's practically mainstream.

• Dark_SkuraiDark_Skurai Member Posts: 106
    Games where I can pick a race that isn't Elf, Human, or Dwarf, really the further from elf the better.

Funny enough, it's harder to find a game that has no elves than it is a game that has beastmen, and harder still to find a game that has the later but not the former.

Running down the top rated games right now...

Lord of the Rings Online?  No, Legolas is invited.  Atlantica Online?   No, The Atlanticans pretty much are elves.  Warhammer Online?  No, Games Workship Elf adaptation quite present.

Ah - Chronicles of Spellborn has this big-hooved demon race and no elves, there's one...

EVE Online?  Kinda - Sci-Fi, of course, is a whole different creature.   Granted, this game is spreadsheets in space, I can't advise it.

EverQuest II? No, pretty much same as LOTRO or Warhammer Online.  Wizard 101?  Never tried it - from what I gather it's essentially Harry Potter Online, take it or leave it.  Vanguard?  Same as EverQuest, LOTRO, Warhammer.  Dark Age of Camelot? Same.

Guild Wars - No beasts, but no elves either.

City of Heroes - No official elves, but you can tweak your character to look like an elf.  You can be a pretty dang convincing beast here.

So, overall, going down the top 15 or so, we've got a few contenders there.

Personally, if I were you, I'd go City of Heroes because nowhere else are you going to be able to roll up a beast guy who can rip boulders out of the ground and toss it at enemies.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771
    Originally posted by Dark_Skurai

What are some good MMO games where you can play as a more monsterish race? Like minotaur or an orc.
    EDIT: Lizard type races work as well.

In DAoC, you can select Minotaurs as your race.  Quite a strong melee race indeed.

In EQ1, lizardman is a race, I forgot the name.  Actually, its not just a melee race, its a decent caster race too.  I think it can be a necromancer, but its so many years ago, I forgot.

• punkbrad7punkbrad7 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by geldonyetich

Funny enough, it's harder to find a game that has no elves than it is a game that has beastmen, and harder still to find a game that has the later but not the former.
    Running down the top rated games right now...
    Lord of the Rings Online?  No, Legolas is invited.  Atlantica Online?   No, The Atlanticans pretty much are elves.  Warhammer Online?  No, Games Workship Elf adaptation quite present.
    Ah - Chronicles of Spellborn has this big-hooved demon race and no elves, there's one...
    EVE Online?  Kinda - Sci-Fi, of course, is a whole different creature.   Granted, this game is spreadsheets in space, I can't advise it.
    EverQuest II? No, pretty much same as LOTRO or Warhammer Online.  Wizard 101?  Never tried it - from what I gather it's essentially Harry Potter Online, take it or leave it.  Vanguard?  Same as EverQuest, LOTRO, Warhammer.  Dark Age of Camelot? Same.
    Guild Wars - No beasts, but no elves either.
    City of Heroes - No official elves, but you can tweak your character to look like an elf.  You can be a pretty dang convincing beast here.
    So, overall, going down the top 15 or so, we've got a few contenders there.
    Personally, if I were you, I'd go City of Heroes because nowhere else are you going to be able to roll up a beast guy who can rip boulders out of the ground and toss it at enemies.

Although, Everquest & Everquest 2 (Iksar, Vah-Shir, Kerra, Froglocks) have beastmen races :) Vanguard has Foxes, Wolves, and Cats as races.

Dark Ages of Camelot has the Minotaurs. 

Yeah, but he's looking for ones with beastmen and no elves, of which all those examples are disqualified.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Yeah, but he's looking for ones with beastmen and no elves, of which all those examples are disqualified.

From his quote it sounded like he just wanted the choice to be able to choose something other than elf, dwarf, or human -- not to completely exclude any game that offered them as playable races, something that offered more than just the traditional races.

Games where I can pick a race that isn't Elf, Human, or Dwarf, really the further from elf the better.

I just see him wanting the option to choose beastmen, not a game with only beastmen. Who knows, tho. I could be wrong.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

So is city of heroes... As you said you can make a character looking like an elf or a monster there...

This is actually very hard because MMO devs have very little fantasy. Almost all MMOs are Tolkien clones, one exception is AoC where you only can play humans but since it have no beasts it is disqualified also.

Spellborn works (as you said) if the OP likes the tiefling like monster class there but it is one of the few exceptions.

If the OP wants to play a monster, then it is easy, EQ2 works perfect for that (Ogre and Troll for 2 examples) or WAR but they both have lots of elves. My advice to the OP is still to try one of them, 'cept Spellborn it is the closest you can come.

DaoC... from the way people talk about it, it's dead... this true? I've never tried it but always meant to.
    DaoC... from the way people talk about it, it's dead... this true? I've never tried it but always meant to.
  • redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Secondhand Land's: Fantasy F2p PvE PvP ( Coin shop )

http://www.secondhandlands.com/

No elves here!

Originally posted by redcap036

No elves here!

That may be the scariest thing I've seen as far as MMOs go.
  • GrumiumGrumium Member UncommonPosts: 57

Not really an mmo but you could try Savage 2. Here is a linky http://www.savage2.com/en/  It is really hard to explain its a Real time strategy game where there is 1 person playing as a commander and all the other people are the ones running around destroying buildings etc. The people that are doing the other stuff can lvl thier characters like an mmo and your playing with other people online but its not an mmo per say.  It's a Rts + Fps+Rpg all kind of rolled into one lol.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    Originally posted by Dark_Skurai

Originally posted by redcap036

No elves here!

That may be the scariest thing I've seen as far as MMOs go.

It is a bit like Alice Mcgee's Alice in Wonderland game, it's a bit dark with a great sense of humor, the graphic's aren't to bad, the game play is fun, just needs more players really, so I always make a point of going in and playing at least once a week for an hour or two and even thou it has a coin shop, it is the closest to a true Free to play game that I have found so far in my travels, hope to catch you in game one day, my two toons are called JagerJaws the Wolf and JagerJaws the Sheep, one on each side of the fence.