Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the devs learn from Darkfails failure?

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

More specifically will this game not have:

- Botched and unresponsive controls

- Outdated gfx and UI

- Tons of missing features

- Forced 1st person view

- Full loot, partial loot is fine.

- Poor communication with customer base

Lets hope so because the industy deseperately need an MMORPG that isn't a themepark type WoW clone. But it has to be good and not crap like Darkfail or it will be useless.

Comments

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Will you stop bashing aventurine ?
    Why didn't you mention funcom for example ?
    What with netdevil (autoassault), huh ?
    You think that blizzard is better ?

hell yeah !
    But take off blinkers next time.

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Why should they change when we keep paying for unfinished games. Gamers Track record says we will pay for unfinished products till this changes we will continue to get Darkfall releases ie another example is Funcom.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Why should they change when we keep paying for unfinished games. Gamers Track record says we will pay for unfinished products till this changes we will continue to get Darkfall releases ie another example is Funcom.

We will pay the initial fee to try it out but people wont subscribe. AoC started with 700k+ copies sold but has dwindled down to less than 200k. Darkfail will follow the same path simply because it is not a finished product nor professionally made. It will at most cater to a very small percentage of die hard fans and will hold a very small portion of the MMORPG playerbase.

Originally posted by joshe

hell yeah !

Why do you care what I do? Am I releasing an MMORPG? No, so stfu and stop fanbotting.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Yamota

hell yeah !

Why do you care what I do? Am I releasing an MMORPG? No, so stfu and stop fanbotting.

You are actually double trolliing both MO and DF in one post.  Well done.

You already know (or should)  MO's graphics look decent, but not great, there is first person view only, as well as full loot.

Their communications with the fanbase seem quite good though their moderation of their official forums seems heavy handed IMO.

Your attempt to compare the two by pointing to specific features in DF and saying that inclusion of said features in MO is the road to failure is sure to draw the ire of people who favor these features.

Yes, its true, full loot, FPV and average graphics probably won't bring us the next WOW.

Which is probably a good thing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

- Outdated gfx and UI
    - Forced 1st person view
    Lets hope so because the industy deseperately need an MMORPG that isn't a themepark type WoW clone. But it has to be good and not crap like Darkfail or it will be useless.

1FPV and Full loot are the best aspects of DF and hope they will not change them in MO also. The other issues you mention here are just a minor cosmetic ones and you even have not mentioned the main problems of DF.

It looks such games are not for you. There are enough games you are looking for and there is no need for another such game.

Why you are looking for woman in the vilage tavern?

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
    Originally posted by Kyleran

hell yeah !

You are actually double trolliing both MO and DF in one post.  Well done.

You already know (or should)  MO's graphics look decent, but not great, there is first person view only, as well as full loot.

Their communications with the fanbase seem quite good though their moderation of their official forums seems heavy handed IMO.

Your attempt to compare the two by pointing to specific features in DF and saying that inclusion of said features in MO is the road to failure is sure to draw the ire of people who favor these features.

Yes, its true, full loot, FPV and average graphics probably won't bring us the next WOW.

Which is probably a good thing.

I am trolling because....? Always amusing to see how you fanbots always see any spell that can be interpeted as criticism of the game as "trolling".

And gfx cannot be satisfactory guaged by lowres youtube vids and static pictures so no I wont know that until I actually play the game.

As for drawing peoples "ire". I couldn't care less, I am expressing my opinion on wether this game will be a success or not. I am not here to please fanbots that will like the game regardless of how it is.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

- Outdated gfx and UI
    - Forced 1st person view

With that attitude i guess you wont like MO either. And because the controls are not as WoW, you call them outdated, botched and unresponsive!

Then your knowledge of both Darkfall and Mortal Online seems to be a little low for this type of "strong" thread. I´l give it a 3/10.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

While I am a fan of Mortal Online, I feel the need to point out to you gentlemen that the developers of MO are an indie company.

Lets look at the two other major indie releases, EVE online and Darkfall.

EVE online

launched with hardly any features. It took them two years to simply get a decent area contest system into the game. The game somehow survived the shaky first years (probably due to its unique genre) and managed to fill out their lacking game into what is today considered one of the very best MMO's out there.

Darkfall

launched with over half of the features promised missing. Future of the game is uncertain.

My point is that indie companies usually can not create a fully fleshed out game for relase simply due to their size and capability. Fans of MO (and future indie titles) need to learn to expect that some features will probably be scrapped and that it will take some time for the game to reach its full potential.

What we can hope for is that the MO developers realize this themselves and don't overextend themselves when it comes to features. From the interviews I've read so far, it seems they have developed the game with this in mind.

Originally posted by daarco

- Outdated gfx and UI
    - Forced 1st person view

With that attitude i guess you wont like MO either. And because the controls are not as WoW, you call them outdated, botched and unresponsive!

Then your knowledge of both Darkfall and Mortal Online seems to be a little low for this type of "strong" thread. I´l give it a 3/10.

Because they are not like WoWs? Where in my post did I mention WoW?

Darkfalls controls are not like any of the 20 or so MMORPGs I have played since the first one, UO, back in the nineties.

As for not having much knowledge about Darkfall, you don't need much knowledge about shit to know that it smells bad.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Originally posted by daarco

- Outdated gfx and UI
    - Forced 1st person view

Because they are not like WoWs? Where in my post did I mention WoW?

Darkfalls controls are not like any of the 20 or so MMORPGs I have played since the first one, UO, back in the nineties.

As for not having much knowledge about Darkfall, you don't need much knowledge about shit to know that it smells bad.

You mentioned WoW in your first post and while you seem to be anti-WoW, the tone of the post made it seem that you want WoW-esque goodness, which to many people on this forum is an oxymoron. I've never played WoW so I won't pass judgement on it as a game.

Next point...Darkfall hasn't failed. I am by no means a fanbot; I still have an active sub but I haven't been compelled to play since last friday, and that was to show my friend why I didn't like the game, and why him and two of our other friends shouldn't play. Most of the things you listed to prove that Darkfall fails, is your opinion only. Some people like full loot, you don't, I don't really mind it. Some people like first-person view, hence why there is an entire genre built around it; however, Darkfall isn't forced first person--you can choose to use melee weapons and that will force you into third person. I'm disappointed, because to me, it doesn't have the depth of EVE, from the way I saw EVE. Note how I used I, that means it is an opinion, from other accounts darkfall does have the depth of EVE. 

What kills darkfall for me, of all things, is the auto-loot macro and the general populous with the "me first" attitude. I like to play support characters, instead of all out dps. That's also why I'm disappointed in real-life. I begged our Chemistry student coordinator to not make me use direct deposit, oh how I begged! (not really, I love direct deposit). My point however, is that there are problems and then there are pretend problems, or perhaps a better way of saying it is to use the idiom, "one man's trash is another's treasure."

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

- Outdated gfx and UI
    - Forced 1st person view

LOL, it is funny that many of things that you point out at failures are the very reasons that thousands of players are playing DarkFall.   I guess personal taste in MMOs is different for different people.

The controls could be smoother but they work and don't appear to be botched or broken, at least they weren't during the four hour siege I played in last night.

The graphics aren't cutting edge like AoC but they are fine, they have decent texture, decent character models, high poly counts and aren't cartoony.    Outdate seems to imply they are primitive but I don't see it although I play at very high settings.

The game is missing many advertised features but the core PvP and Sieging works and with a good system are playable at 500+ people battles.  the game is all MMOs released in the last 4 years, they talk about hundreds of cool things and at launch day you get a subset and have to wait for the rest to be patched in or to come along with an expansion.

The camera restriction are by design and add advantages to some forms of combat and disadvantages to others.  You may not like the restrictions but that is a matter of personal taste.

Full loot,  Lol  this is a key feature of the game that single handedly drew the ten of thousands of players that fought through the buggy ordering system. For the Limited release aka Paid beta.   The fact that you don't like Full loot reflects only on you it is actually one of the key reasons the game is so successful.

AV communications are better than they have been but they are still poor.  And I also believe that it hurts the success of the game.

You opinions about DarkFall are just that...  YOURS.   You may not like the game, the systems it is built on, the hardcore PvP,etc..  that is fine but the very things you don't like is what has made the game a success to the niche market of tens of thousands of PvP players that are playing it every day.

Thousands of players, haha. The game has been released for two months and already scores of people have left the game. It is maybe not a failure because a small (very small) portion of MMORPG players still play the game but in no way or form is the game the sandbox FFA PvP that people have been looking for.

Mortal Online might be but they need to realise that for a game to be a success it needs to have an up to date gfx engine and not force people into using an outdated control system and forced 1st person view. That has absolotely nothing to do with either sandbox or FFA PvP.

The two best sand box FFA PvP games, pre trammel UO and AC DT, did not have either forced 1st person or some FPS knockoff controls. UO had full loot but AC DT did not. Regardless, that has nothing to do with FFA PvP but rather more that people want to label themselves "hardcore" by having full looting. There might be some people that are attracted to the game because of full looting (mostly griefers) but many times more people have been discouraged to play the game, even though they want a sandbox FFA PvP game, because it makes combat something that you don't feel like doing unless you are sure you will win. Or that you will run around naked because of fear of losing your items. It really fills no purpose except catering to griefers who get some kind of perverted pleasure from causing other people grief.

And gfx are fine? In 2009 those gfx are nowhere near fine. Even WAR, which is much criticized for its gfx, have much better looking models than this crap. Specially the animations are horrid and reminds me of EQ ... 1.

"You mentioned WoW in your first post and while you seem to be anti-WoW, the tone of the post made it seem that you want WoW-esque goodness"

Now there is a contradiction if ever. I mentioned WoW as a way how the game should not be like but in your deranged mind you want it to make it sound like I want it to be WoW like. Newsflash for you, it is not only WoW that does not have full loot and forced 1st person view. Almost no MMORPG have that and there is probably a good reason for that too.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

Thousands of players, haha. The game has been released for two months and already scores of people have left the game. It is maybe not a failure because a small (very small) portion of MMORPG players still play the game but in no way or form is the game the sandbox FFA PvP that people have been looking for.

You may not like the game and that is fine, no one is forcing you to play it.  But DarkFall is only a failure to you, you points are all subjective personal opinions.

You can try to inflate your position by dismissing the active subscribers all you want but you can't deny the truth that the game is not a failure and the targeted hardcore PvP audience is actively playing, looting and sieging every night.  Matter of fact, there are daily posts about waiting customers complaining they can’t buy a spot in the limited release, maybe you should help the community buy selling your account on Ebay .

You obviously don’t like the high risk or intense competition of DarkFall and for your sake I hope Mortal Online can give you the eye candy and lessened PvP risk that you want.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Controls look to be a carbon copy of Elder Scrolls.. Oblivion.  Use that as a reference.
    - Outdated gfx and UI
    It's pretty obvious that by the screens and HD videos, the graphics are going to be more than adequate.
    Only time will tell, however.. the developers haven't promised much of anything.
    - Forced 1st person view
    This is your opinion and  has nothing to do with Darkfalls failure.
    Again, not a reason for Darkfalls failure.  It's worked before in several other titles. 
    They have already shown much interest in talking to the public AND media.  No issues here.

Really, if you took any time to do any research, you could have answered all these questions for yourself.  This is a big reason why you're getting the troll tag around here.  StarVault isn't going to change their design.  Sorry bro.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

"You mentioned WoW in your first post and while you seem to be anti-WoW, the tone of the post made it seem that you want WoW-esque goodness"

Now there is a contradiction if ever. I mentioned WoW as a way how the game should not be like but in your deranged mind you want it to make it sound like I want it to be WoW like. Newsflash for you, it is not only WoW that does not have full loot and forced 1st person view. Almost no MMORPG have that and there is probably a good reason for that too.

Yes, like I mentioned, Some people think that that is an "oxymoron." It's obvious to most people that you are one of those WoW hatebots; however, I used WoW as the example because that is the example YOU gave.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• mel.ina.1mel.ina.1 Member Posts: 7

- Outdated gfx and UI
    - Forced 1st person view

Personally for the past 2 years I was waiting for TCoS to come out and make it "my home". But since DF was launched before my game  I’ve decided to have a go. For me DF was a vapourware/failware game made by a character named Taso, but I’ve decided to buy the game because I thought “well wtf, if I don’t like the game I can always make a chargeback and get my money back”. So I bought DF one month ago for 42 EURO, and yes I have to admit that in the beginning I was more than skeptical because after all ,this was a game made by a small Developer that was based somewhere in Greece.

Today I have to admit that I was wrong!

DF It’s so different from anything else that I’ve ever tried, that I can’t go back to TCoS (even if I’ve tried). I don’t know which are the missing features that you are talking about because I haven’t followed this game from the beginning , but I have to tell you that I’ve witness with my own eyes a fluent 250V250 battle and felt that this is a missing feature from any other mmog. The huge world of Agon is beautifully done and it’s a unique place to explore- and more importantly I was free to go where ever I wish and do anything I want! (which is also a missing feature from anything else). I’ve seen boats and I felt really scared when somebody killed me and looted all my stuff.

I could go on and on, but my point is: Yes there is a lot of stuff that MO devs should learn from DF’s success, but they are stuck to unreal engine, instances,FPV and 2V2 battles!

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

failure?

I dunno the game seems to be doing really well to me seeing people running around everywhere, lots of pvp

• SurfriderSurfrider Member UncommonPosts: 302

Locked:  Trolling

This discussion has been closed.