Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Against My Better Judgement - A Darkfall Adventure Log

ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

Hello MMORPG forums,

I'll start off by pointing out the obvious: this forum is absolutely full of people -- gamers -- who want to see games fail.  This in itself is completely weird, to me.  You really only see this sort of thing with MMORPGs.  The rest of the time, we either like it, or don't.

I bought a Darkfall account today, mostly because of the extreme amount of passion on both sides of For and Against.  I've read reviews, read forums, watched videos, put as much research as I could into the game, but I still don't think I can get a fair, and accurate feel for what the game is like without trying it myself.

As of right now I'm patching, and will be playing either later tonight or tomorrow.  My goal is to provide an unbiased evaluation.

I am going in with the mindset that this is an independently developed game, and as of yet unfinished.

When I post my findings, please leave your passions at the door if you choose to comment - it's only a video game.

Update: I'm doing small posts every now and then of my progress!  Here are the direct links.

Part 1 - Character Creation

Part 2 - Combat/Skillups

Comments

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

My advice to you is to find a guild or make some friends as soon as possible.   This is critical not only to surviving, but will drastically increase where you can go and what you can participate in.   The game is not very solo friendly in terms of PvE and PvP, and this will become very clear once you leave the starter area (which should be done as quickly as possible). 

Also do not fall into the pitfall that some on this forum and in my own guild fell into by trying to play this game the same way you would a theme-park MMO.   Focusing on questing as a priority is a foolish way to spend your time.  Many people are used to games telling them where to go and what to do, and if you are not capable of setting your own goals in this game, you will find yourself quickly frustrated.

Good luck to you.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by Thrage

Hello MMORPG forums,
    I'll start off by pointing out the obvious: this forum is absolutely full of people -- gamers -- who want to see games fail.  This in itself is completely weird, to me.  You really only see this sort of thing with MMORPGs.  The rest of the time, we either like it, or don't.
    I bought a Darkfall account today, mostly because of the extreme amount of passion on both sides of For and Against.  I've read reviews, read forums, watched videos, put as much research as I could into the game, but I still don't think I can get a fair, and accurate feel for what the game is like without trying it myself.
    As of right now I'm patching, and will be playing either later tonight or tomorrow.  My goal is to provide an unbiased evaluation.
    I am going in with the mindset that this is an independently developed game, and as of yet unfinished.
    When I post my findings, please leave your passions at the door if you choose to comment - it's only a video game.

This is fair, but please leave your findings till a month later not 2-3 days like most did. The first few days for alot were WOW. Then reality set in. You ll see what i mean in a month.

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429

Good luck.  If you're as unbiased as you claim, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.  I probably would have tried it myself, just to see if there was anything to it, but waiting around to see when the shop is going to be open was just too much of a pain.

Edit: Well, what do you know?  I got curious, and the shop wasn't "temporarily offline."  Will wonders never cease?  If you need someone to hang out with early on, send me a pm w/ the name of the toon you create, and I'll try to find you once I get the thing downloaded and installed.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

It sounds as the OP will take of to travel to Mars or something : )

DF is just a MMO. Looking forward to read some more tomorrow from OP. I can guess it will be about geting used to the UI, and the idiote who knockbacked you all the time in the city. That was my first hours  LOL. Now im hocked.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Im interested in hearing what you think as well. I've followed the game abit but I'm not convinced its good enough to try just yet. All MMOs follow the WoW theme right now so something totally different and bug / hack free would be a nice change.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Don't go into the game with a mindset full of doubt and distrust, of course you're going to find what you are looking for, disappointment and failure.

Go in and focus on the good things the game does and how much fun you might have playing it a certain way.

You are not a reporter writing an expose, you are a gamer looking to have a good time.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by Ethian

Im interested in hearing what you think as well. I've followed the game abit but I'm not convinced its good enough to try just yet. All MMOs follow the WoW theme right now so something totally different and bug / hack free would be a nice change.

Good luck with that one... let me know IF you ever find it. 

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

well the other day i was checking the store and randomly found it to be open.  So i was like "WTH i'm not playing anything else lets give it a whirl"

Well the game is great, its quite a bit different than these boards make it seem, it really just seems to be "do whatever you want" and very true to the sandbox genre.  The world is fantastic, i have encountered quite a few friendly players, and the mass griefing and abusing of the system which i always hear about i have yet to see.

Yes, i have been ganked, however it was by a red, that is to be expected. 

There are a few little things which could be improved, however i am quite enjoying myself (starting out made me feel like a noob like when i tried eve) and i am starting to get a hang of everything.

As a side note, the combat is really fun, people who like/are good at shooters will love it.  If you are skilled in that arena you will probably be skilled here.

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Don't go into the game with a mindset full of doubt and distrust, of course you're going to find what you are looking for, disappointment and failure.
    Go in and focus on the good things the game does and how much fun you might have playing it a certain way.
    You are not a reporter writing an expose, you are a gamer looking to have a good time.

You are getting sleepy, very sleepy...  Nice try w/ the Jedi mind trick, Obieran, but seriously, no one but the OP knows who the OP is and what the OP wants.  

It should be an interesting experience.  Hopefully the servers will be up tonight so I can try it out myself.

• argos5argos5 Member UncommonPosts: 219
    Originally posted by Paragus1

My advice to you is to find a guild or make some friends as soon as possible.   This is critical not only to surviving, but will drastically increase where you can go and what you can participate in.   The game is not very solo friendly in terms of PvE and PvP, and this will become very clear once you leave the starter area (which should be done as quickly as possible). 
    Also do not fall into the pitfall that some on this forum and in my own guild fell into by trying to play this game the same way you would a theme-park MMO.   Focusing on questing as a priority is a foolish way to spend your time.  Many people are used to games telling them where to go and what to do, and if you are not capable of setting your own goals in this game, you will find yourself quickly frustrated.
    Good luck to you.

What the hell kind of SandBox MMO doesn't allow you to do what you want, but force you to guild-up in order to participate effectively in the game? What kind of game are you pulling here, Paragus?!

• javacjavac Member Posts: 1,175
    Originally posted by argos5

What the hell kind of SandBox MMO doesn't allow you to do what you want, but force you to guild-up in order to participate effectively in the game? What kind of game are you pulling here, Paragus?!

you mean like EVE?

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Originally posted by javac

i just want to give a shout out to all our resident trolls who were instrumental in getting this guy to try Darkfall.

thx guys, darkfall would be nothing without you.

One of the biggest detriments to this game is some of its players.  Coming to a thread and calling other people trolls while they are the only troll on the thread hints at a bad community.

Back on topic:  Good luck to you in your endeavor.  I look forward to seeing what you think of the game.

• DevourDevour Member Posts: 902
    Originally posted by javac

you mean like EVE?

EvE is a completely different ballpark, game and players.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Sarcasm doesn't always transmit well across an internet forum, but in the off chance you were even a little serious, the greatest sandbox of all, real life rewards you for cooperative behavior with your fellow players, but its quite possible to go it totally alone if you prefer.

Darkfall is much like that.  You don't have to guild up....but you'll have more fun if you do.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• panchoepanchoe Member Posts: 17

I have played in a clan, and I have played solo.

I am enjoying the latter more.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Sarcasm doesn't always transmit well across an internet forum, but in the off chance you were even a little serious, the greatest sandbox of all, real life rewards you for cooperative behavior with your fellow players, but its quite possible to go it totally alone if you prefer.

Darkfall is much like that.  You don't have to guild up....but you'll have more fun if you do.

I still don't have a clan, but I still have a Hell of a time.

I will of course have to join one eventually in order to participate in some of the "larger" aspects of the game, but right now I'm just focusing on developing my character and skills (and not through grinding...just playing the game).

True, it's rough going it alone, but I'm tough. I can handle it.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

You don't know what the hell you're talking about.  I'm currently subscribed to 2 MMO's, beta testing another and was fortunate to pick up Darkfall yesterday.  The WoW theme of simplicity might be common in certain Big Budget development circles but its not as prolific as you think.

Could you list all of these MMO's that alledgedly follow "the WoW theme"?

• Moldy2Moldy2 Member Posts: 73

GAH! How is everyone getting an account and I'm still left in the dirt?

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by mindspat

You don't know what the hell you're talking about.  I'm currently subscribed to 2 MMO's, beta testing another and was fortunate to pick up Darkfall yesterday.  The WoW theme of simplicity might be common in certain Big Budget development circles but its not as prolific as you think.

Could you list all of these MMO's that alledgedly follow "the WoW theme"?

Come come now, you know the first MMO was Wow.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

... still waiting to see what the OP thought of the game.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Heheh ....... new victims.

recruits ......... new recruits ........... I meant to say recruits........

Welcome to Darkfall

~Hairysun~

• SeytanSeytan Member Posts: 653
    Originally posted by Hairysun

Welcome to Darkfall

~Hairysun~

Yep all the bans for rampant exploiting/hacking and cancellations from people who paid and couldnt even get into the game probably opened up the store, hell there were almost 2k posts in that thread of people who couldnt play...hope the new people dont have the same problems. Sucks to wait to be able to buy it, then to discover you cant even run the game after all the hoops you have to jump through.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Seytan

Originally posted by Hairysun

Welcome to Darkfall

~Hairysun~

Yep all the bans for rampant exploiting/hacking and cancellations from people who paid and couldnt even get into the game probably opened up the store, hell there were almost 2k posts in that thread of people who couldnt play...hope the new people dont have the same problems. Sucks to wait to be able to buy it, then to discover you cant even run the game after all the hoops you have to jump through.

Didn't see the thread about purchasing and not being able to play, but I wasn't looking.  Gotta just shake my head at that one, I'd be a tad pissed off.

As far as the bans and cancellations being the reason the store opened up .......... that is exactly why the store opened up. 

~Hairysun~

• ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

Alright, chums!  I just spent the first few minutes on Darkfall.  Sorry to take so long to get back to you; I've been working a lot.  Anyway, today we explore the very first enemy you come up against in Darkfall: Indecision!  That's right, I'm talking Character Creation!  Aaaand here we go.

Since I only get one character, I've had to think long and hard about what kind of character I wanted.  I'm typically the kind of person who likes to play attractive characters, so when customization is bad, it's a significant hit against the game for me.

The models in Darkfall look quite good, despite the hilarious crotch-plating, and so do the shadows on the character creation screen.  You have to mess with them a bit to make some of them look cool, but it's certainly possible with most.  One of the really great things about the character creation screen is that I can mold an entire look for a race/gender combination, then back all the way out to customize another, and all of the options I'd selected for all of them are retained.  I can then easily glance back and forth at what I've created, and choose based on that.

They all seem to start off very blandly with white hair and dull features. Also, crotch plating.

Human models are good, though the male's awkward scowl clashes a bit with the female's innocent, contented smile.   The Alfar can look quite good given some effort, but I think it's meant to be pretty clear that they are an evil race.  The Mirdain females can be made to look nice, but the males, no matter what I do with them, end up looking like Woody.

Actual in-game screenshot.

So then there's the Mahrim, which look pretty cool, but I could never see myself playing, and dwarves are of course as ugly as ever.  As for orcs, I had to slide their skin tone to dark green to make them look normal to me, but when that's done, they look great.

So, what do I choose?  With only one character slot, it has to be a good decision the first time.  Human is a pretty safe bet, though; plenty of allies, and I already play one in real life, so it shouldn't be too hard.  I also tend to shy away from playing female characters in MMOs; I don't like being "misrepresented."  However, the human female model in Darkfall is very well done, and I'm already making a pretty boring choice with human anyway, so let's go with Female this time.

I've always been a sucker for redheads, and while we're at it, let's turn that innocent smile into a cruel smirk with some of that fancy schmancy makeup.  She already looks pretty Rogueish, which is a mentality I'll need to shy away from in this game, since there are no classes.  I need two names, so let's think of a nice, fantasy-esque one, and ...

Darkfall is an angry place.  So she's angry, too.

There you have her; Aeravice Charlotta Velstand, Darkfall's newest sword-swinger.  I admit, I'm already pondering her first gruesome death at the hands of Random Jackass #249082.  It'll happen, and you MMORPG.com folks will be there when it does.

Time to dive right in.  Updates soon!

• SeytanSeytan Member Posts: 653

lol! Nice keep it coming. Im very curious to read of your heroic exploits in the near future!