Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two buddies, what game?

MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

Howdy, my friend and I this summer are going to start an MMORPG right after our school tests are done-for. What we're looking for is a PvE oriented game.

He is new to the genre and this will be his first game, however I've played just about every single MMO since '05 or so. We're thinking about Vanguard, as I've heard great things about how its like the best PvE game in the genre. LOTRO is another I've played to lv35 and liked it but not enough to stick with it.

My friend and I can make almost every game fun because the whole time we're cracking jokes, but we would like strong gameplay as well. Also, it would be better if we could just about duo our way to the end of the game, as finding groups is difficult nowadays. I'm usually against non-group oriented MMOs as it is a contradiction, but it doesn't matter anymore.

Basically we're looking for:

-PvE oriented

-Strong gameplay

-AAA title

-No F2P

-Duo capable

-Something that is fun from beginning to the end (how rare)

Comments

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

There are quite a few games that work well with 2 friends playing together, dare I say all of them. I have done what you are doing with both Lotro and EVE and can suggest either game. I think EVE sees the most benefikt early on from playing with a buddy from day one but any game will benefit.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

Vanguard is a good suggestion, like you said, EQ2 is another, both great PvE games. I would suggest Vanguard over EQ2 personally. I was thinking about giving it another go.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

If you're fine with having some AI party members along with two players, you can 2-man pretty much everything (everything except for a couple of areas that have no purpose other than farming and a couple of spots that are strictly solo) in Guild Wars.   While Guild Wars doesn't have a monthly fee, you do have to pay up front for the game, so it's not a "free to lose"/item mall game.

As far as Vanguard goes, you'd better have really, really nice computers if you're looking at it.  The system requirements for Vanguard are lies.  If your computers greatly exceed the recommended (not minimum) system requirements and you're willing to turn all the graphical settings down as far as they go, then you may or may not be able to get passable performance from the game.

• reeb23reeb23 Member UncommonPosts: 37

get EQ2 its improved alot and is way better for PvE then the trash game vanguard  if u and your freind pick the right classes you can duo alot and theres alot of choices of classes

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

Thanks for fast replies.

I've played EVE and didn't really get into it, it was too slow for me, and we're shooting for a fantasy game, sorry I should've put that down.

Guild Wars was alright, I played Factions and had some fun with it for a while, but the chinese art style totally turned me off big time. My friend probably wouldn't like that either since he isn't really into it, I showed him the game when I played it and he wasn't impressed.

What we're thinking of now is EQ2, Vanguard, WoW, or LOTRO. WoW would be good because its a great first MMORPG and its god awful popular.

Regards to Vanguard's requirements, we both have exceptional computers, however he is running a Mac and I don't know if bootcamp would run Vanguard? I'm not sure, I'm not really a Mac guy.

• gordunkgordunk Member CommonPosts: 114

My suggestion would be get either Prophecies or Nightfall then...and then package that with Eye of the North.  All of those skip the Asian art style.  Prophecies is more European Fantasy...where as Nightfall has African roots.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Hey there from someone whos played Both Vanguard and EQ2, I will have to say that Vanguard definately blows EQ2.. AKA Zergquest out of the water.

Another game that has actually improved ALOT in the last few months is Age of Conan... It has tons of content and the Mature Content is great. It still has a few bugs but overall a really fun game. The combat in that game is also Top notch...The graphics on AoC are just simply amazing as well. and unlike vanguard you get alot more customization of your character... which is one of Vanguards Biggest flaws.

If you dont mind mixing your PVE with some RVR WAR is pretty damn good also. Sometimes its nice to be able to pick up the pace and go into a conflict against other players.. But it still has PVE areas and and some nice dungeons and is currently adding more.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by Murdus

Guild Wars was alright, I played Factions and had some fun with it for a while, but the chinese art style totally turned me off big time. My friend probably wouldn't like that either since he isn't really into it, I showed him the game when I played it and he wasn't impressed.

You reject a game because you dislike an art style used for a small subset of the content?  I find that rather strange.  Only about half of one campaign looks at all Asian, as well, I guess, as characters created in that one campaign.

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Originally posted by Murdus

You reject a game because you dislike an art style used for a small subset of the content?  I find that rather strange.  Only about half of one campaign looks at all Asian, as well, I guess, as characters created in that one campaign.

I can't play a game I don't like looking at. Also I didn't mention the intensely incredible instancing really bugged me. If they were 'public' zones with loadscreens, thats fine, but going off into an area knowing there are hundreds of players running around the same place as I but invisible, just doesn't work for me.

I completely agree. Art style and direction can completely break a game for me. To me it helps add immersion. which is one of the things I look for in a game.

Personally I love the way guild wars looks. I know I couldnt stick with it because of the play style just couldnt get into it. The game was beautifully done though artistically and even the story seemed pretty good. Just the play style got me. But I am a whole package type of guy.

So far even though it saddens me I am not playing anymore due to a friend who didnt like it. AoC just blew my mind. Was a GREAT looking game. with tons of content. Fun gameplay. The only thing it lacked (which didnt bother me) was a good crafting system. Thats what killed it for my friend who wanted us to leave. Granted He didnt know if the crafting system would have been any good because we only made it into the 30s... Blahh Wish we would have stayed.

But having a good time in WAR now.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If you plan to only Dou I would go for Guildwars. Each of you get 2 "heroes" (bots that you customize) to bring along and you can play at least almost anything in the game.

It also have the bonus that you only buy it and dont pay any additional fees.

Otherwise a free trial of EQ2, Vanguard and LOTRO is a good idea because all 3 works but you still need to join a guild in them or do pick up groups to not miss a lot of the game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

I completely agree. Art style and direction can completely break a game for me. To me it helps add immersion. which is one of the things I look for in a game.
    Personally I love the way guild wars looks. I know I couldnt stick with it because of the play style just couldnt get into it. The game was beautifully done though artistically and even the story seemed pretty good. Just the play style got me. But I am a whole package type of guy.
    So far even though it saddens me I am not playing anymore due to a friend who didnt like it. AoC just blew my mind. Was a GREAT looking game. with tons of content. Fun gameplay. The only thing it lacked (which didnt bother me) was a good crafting system. Thats what killed it for my friend who wanted us to leave. Granted He didnt know if the crafting system would have been any good because we only made it into the 30s... Blahh Wish we would have stayed.
    But having a good time in WAR now.

Uh, isnt WARs crafting system even worse than AoCs?

It kinda sucks in both of them, if that is what you are looking for you should try Vanguard. Its system aint perfect either but it is sadly the best there is now (well, some say Ryzom have a better one but I havnt tried it so I dont know that). You can at least build your own house in VG.

• mikey2505mikey2505 Member Posts: 6

I Know its not exactly on the list and the graphics are liable to be a problem but I'm going to suggest EQ. with the advent of mercs you and your friend can make a pretty credible group and theres not a great deal of instancing, the population is low but manageable.

My other guess would be WoW, depending on the characters you pick you could duo most content, although at a slightly higer level than its meant to be done. (hunter and Lock would work well for this IMO)

LotRO, while a Fantastic PvE game seems to be based on fellowships and I'm not sure how much content a 2 man group would be able to complete.

*random spelling mistakes

Originally posted by Loke666

Uh, isnt WARs crafting system even worse than AoCs?
    It kinda sucks in both of them, if that is what you are looking for you should try Vanguard. Its system aint perfect either but it is sadly the best there is now (well, some say Ryzom have a better one but I havnt tried it so I dont know that). You can at least build your own house in VG.

Well I am not a huge crafter myself so it didnt bother me. But  I think he likes the RVR enough in WAR that he doesnt mind not having the crafting. It adds another element. We didnt really PVP all that much in AoC, granted we only made it to our 30s. Which I  also think he  just didnt get into the atmosphere of AoC as much as I did.

While I agree Vanguard has a very in depth crafting system, and its nice that you can level it up completely seperately than your normal character adventuring advancement. It is also one of the grindiest crafting systems around.  It takes forever to be able to make anything useful. That being said I did actually toy around with crafting myself in Vanguard because it was kind of like a strategy game within the game. But hope you have alot of time on your hands if you want to actually be able to make something useful.

Also on the note of Vanguard. The game play is AMAZING... HOWEVER... while there is ALOT to do there even for a solo team. The game is loaded with content. The vast majority of the best stuff in the game you would never get a chance to see. Due to the fact the game is Designed around group play for the best parts. I played Vanguard from launch untill last summer and loved the game due to the fact I am a group player.

I left Vanguard after getting discouraged over the raid system. I played a Paladin in a tank heavy guild. Our guild leader and co leader were both tanks, you can guess who tanked pretty much 98% of every APW raid we went on. with group 4 always being filled with 4 or 5 tanks sitting on their thumbs doing nothing but cheerleader which got old.  I loved the members of the guild which is why I  wouldnt leave it while in game. Instead I ended up leaving the game and several friend went to try new stuff along with me.

I will also say Vanguard is the only game that has come even close to capturing old EQ1 feel to it. The only other issue I had with Vanguard was lack of character customization. IE no AAs/Talents (even though I have heard they are soon to add AAs if they havent already)  Age of Conan and WAR has some of the best character customization I have seen to date. Vanguard though has some of the best class balance I have seen.

I think going with any of those 3 games would end up rewarding. Vanguard not so much as a duo though. WAR and AoC seems better suited for a DUO...

• FlaringoFlaringo Member Posts: 83

You should look into Dungeons and Dragons Online. I liked that game alot whenever I found someone to group up with, too bad the population was really small back then. Not sure if it's improved now, though. 

HEHEHEHE